• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Helsong

Smash Ace
Oh wow someone drew spiderman sitting behind a desk on their midterm with the text "I have no idea what I'm doing."
Thank god they actually put some work down on a single question because I'd hate to give them a zero. E for Effort? E for Effort.
E is what you give someone who's actually got an F, but you really don't want to be that person so you give them an E and then deal with them crying in your office later, as opposed to in class.

And one of my Smash-playing students drew Ragnell and put "you da bess" because uh...apparently I'm supposed to go easy on Smashers? Joke's on you buddy, I grade nerds like I play Dark Souls PvP: viciously.
Besides, who friggin draws Ragnell and asks for sympathy? D-.

Actually, midterms turned out pretty well this time. Average of 85%, highest was a 102%. Lowest was Spiderman.

Last edited:

DizzyBoyGenius

Smash Rookie
Oh wow someone drew spiderman sitting behind a desk on their midterm with the text "I have no idea what I'm doing."
Thank god they actually put some work down on a single question because I'd hate to give them a zero. E for Effort? E for Effort.
E is what you give someone who's actually got an F, but you really don't want to be that person so you give them an E and then deal with them crying in your office later, as opposed to in class.

And one of my Smash-playing students drew Ragnell and put "you da bess" because uh...apparently I'm supposed to go easy on Smashers? Joke's on you buddy, I grade nerds like I play Dark Souls PvP: viciously.
Besides, who friggin draws Ragnell and asks for sympathy? D-.

Actually, midterms turned out pretty well this time. Average of 85%, highest was a 102%. Lowest was Spiderman.
It sounds like you have a lot of pranksters in your classes. Which I wouldn't mind at all.

Bleck

Smash Master
smash 4 better get some more updates soon 'cause now I'm basically caught in a loop where I play a little for glory until some piece of garbage is playing ZSS and then I have to stop myself from hurling my entire TV out the window

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
irish red heads are not real

also why would i wanna cuddle with a dork, only qt's like nixie are okay

or hotel bae

;-;
Shut up nerd. The only thing that wants to cuddle with you is your body pillow and that's because it doesn't have a choice in the matter. If it had the ability to talk it would say "Help me...please".

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
smash 4 better get some more updates soon 'cause now I'm basically caught in a loop where I play a little for glory until some piece of garbage is playing ZSS and then I have to stop myself from hurling my entire TV out the window
salty much?

seriously though, try places like Anther's Ladder or something. at the very least it can put you in touch with the real netplay warriors of this game. For Glory isn't the best place to be grinding **** out. even better is if you had locals to play games with, but

until some piece of garbage is playing ZSS and then I have to stop myself from hurling my entire TV out the window
says something about this?

kidding, but still. at the very least try and find an outlet/hub with a buncha like-minded people that have fun with the game too.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Helsong

Smash Ace
any pics of the spiderman or ragnell? haha
Ask and ye shall receive, courtesy of my phone camera in some really bad lighting because my room doesn't have good enough lights

EDIT: nevermind images are massive, phone better resolution than I thought.

http://i.imgur.com/ImpfD0R.jpg
Looks uh..not great. Can't even give it an E for effort
http://i.imgur.com/dsU6Jn6.jpg
This person didn't even try

It sounds like you have a lot of pranksters in your classes. Which I wouldn't mind at all.
I try to foster a generally light-hearted atmosphere when I'm torturing tutoring or running recitation, which I think means some students tend to see me as a bit more laidback/able to take a joke. Knowing spiderman and ragnell, they're well aware they screwed up.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
it would probably help if I played as a good character
that's no ****ing excuse. I play D3 for Christ's sake...it just so happens that I play Ryu too because he's fun as hell. Him being a decent character for the competitive side of things is just an added bonus. we all know D3 is ass but I love him anyways. like I told Gamegenie222 Gamegenie222 a long time ago: ride or die.

but hey, if you wanna play a different character, go for it. might enrich your experience with the game.

and if you play Falco, ****, I should lampoon you for thinking he's a bad character. he's definitely not terrible; he's just not Brawl Falco, so he doesn't rely on the braindead laser locks and CGs that he was infamous for in those days. Smash 4 Falco's got great buttons and not too bad neutral.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Just do the Urien.
Gott love Urien. Hope he makes it into SFV and this also came into my mind lol.

I love this account
Was just bout to post about that lol. Hope it sticks around better than FGC Jim Ross.

Like Smooth Criminal said Anther's brah. And For Glory is hit or miss depending on the connection and player i use to warm up online before hitting up Anthers and/ or practice whiff and block punishing and **** around on there with random characters with weekly conquest.

Also down back if your expecting a boost kick from ZSS in a air juggle usually works although some characters are gonna have a harder time DI ing outta it mainly the fatties.

OOOOOOKKKKKKKKK never knew thats a thing.

Also had lobster for the first time today at work it was a little cold but it was hit or miss.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Helsong Helsong I'm actually one of your students.

in spirit.

because derivatives test and I don't even know what. Like the part I knew (changing rates. I don't even know how changing rates is supposed to work) had the worst example/problem.

So yeah.

Math: It's actually philosophy with numbers*

*math having numbers varies. You can have problems that have no numbers whatsoever but it's stuff math.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
that's no ****ing excuse. I play D3 for Christ's sake...it just so happens that I play Ryu too because he's fun as hell. Him being a decent character for the competitive side of things is just an added bonus. we all know D3 is *** but I love him anyways. like I told Gamegenie222 Gamegenie222 a long time ago: ride or die.

but hey, if you wanna play a different character, go for it. might enrich your experience with the game.

and if you play Falco, ****, I should lampoon you for thinking he's a bad character. he's definitely not terrible; he's just not Brawl Falco, so he doesn't rely on the braindead laser locks and CGs that he was infamous for in those days. Smash 4 Falco's got great buttons and not too bad neutral.

Smooth Criminal
He's alright but his neutral, approach and zoning game are meh to eww. He's honest but he still has some flaws on some of his moves. All they need to do if take away a few frames of endlag on blaster, rework his jab so he can get punished less by 3-5 frame aerials and specials and increase the active hitbox on his side b and he be in a good spot without being busted. His punish and combo game and great though too bad his playerbase is kinda bad to alright outside of a few people and no standout notable names so he goes under the radar super hard and no big standout results.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
Dude are you kidding me? Falco is glorious in this game. I think you greatly underestimate how good he is.
was talkin' bout Dedede

holy ****

Go Ganondorf and spread evil everywhere.
dedede is more evil than ganondorf

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I'll be spending halloween drinking with a guy I like as we crash friends' parties. Between this and the whole getting a paper published in a journal thing, there's literally nothing that can dampen my-
Oh I have to grade midterms.
And this first one didn't even write his name down.
And like half of these off of a brief skim didn't actually finish.
Wait, is that a- nope, this one's got a proof that makes no sense.

:sadsheep:
I'm a terrible teacher.
I'm a pretty bad student. Wanna team up?

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
This Bob Ross stream is so precious, it's really taking me back to my pbs and wliw days as a little boy.

It's also making me wonder if twitch is considering reverting back to something more like justin.tv and if they'll start allowing more streams unrelated to videogames. I could totally see a regress happening and twitch becoming 'the next youtube' since they have such a bigger following to build from compared to what justin.tv had.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Helsong Helsong I'm actually one of your students.

in spirit.

because derivatives test and I don't even know what. Like the part I knew (changing rates. I don't even know how changing rates is supposed to work) had the worst example/problem.

So yeah.

Math: It's actually philosophy with numbers*

*math having numbers varies. You can have problems that have no numbers whatsoever but it's stuff math.
You should have gone to live at school then done bad in Math placement so you can get a B in precal again.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
By being charming, having your own upscale apartment and your career **** together before you're barely drinking age.

N-not that I'm bitter about it or anything.
My career **** isn't really together, but I get where you're coming from.

I'll be the first to admit that I've been incredibly lucky in life. Practically nothing there is anything accomplished by my own merit. I have an apartment because I have rich parents that bought a condo in the area, and I pay mortgage and condo fees as rent that allows me to stay here cheaply. I have the money for that because my parents, grandparents, and even great grandparents highly value education and have been investing in trust funds for me and my sister and my cousins for literally generations. I have career **** as together as I do because I have connections in the science and engineering worlds through my dad and my sister who have established careers in those or similar fields. I got into college because I had a supportive and healthy family in a good neighborhood with quality public schooling available.

Charm is weird, that'd be a whole different post, and I've kind of talked about stuff like that before.

Point is, none of that is because of me.

All of that is luck. And it's dumb. It's RNG. We all know that RNG is dumb.

The point here is, comparing yourself to other people is dangerous. There are always people that are more well-off than you, that were born with everything, that have opportunities fall into their laps, that seem like they barely have to try to succeed. Sure, it could be better. But that's meaningless. It could be worse. It could be better. That doesn't matter. It is, and what you've got is what you get.

The other thing is the Facebook Effect. You have to remember that people talk about different things in different places. I like PMS to be a more lighthearted place (obviously other than my occasional walls of text), and so I mostly joke or talk about things that are going well, things that I'm excited about.

I mean, yeah, some neat stuff is happening right now. But I nearly failed two midterms this quarter, I'm dropping one of my CS classes, over $50 in cash got stolen from me, and I got a parking ticket the other day. It's not all sunshine and rainbows. It's not a focus, though, it doesn't have to be. Instead, I'm gonna think about how neat it is that I've got a biweekly tournament that I'm running, that I own my own car now, that the club is still growing and everyone is improving.

I guess what I'm getting at is, you have every right to be bitter. The world can be a ****ty, unfair place to be. But it's surprising how much your own thoughts can impact the world around you. Your perception of the things around you can change a lot, and it's certainly possible to train yourself to see things in a different light. That's not to say it's easy, but it's possible.

The other thing is, people often underestimate how easy it is to get things. How easy it is to get something started, to make a difference, or just to get what you want. Too often, people are too scared to ask. You know how I started my biweekly? I walked into a game shop with a friend, asked the guy at the counter if he was the owner, and then told him that we wanted to start a weekly tournament at his venue for Smash. Told him the times, the prices, and the expected turnouts. He said, "Sure, I can do biweekly. How's a week from Sunday work?" And that was it.

I dunno, I'm rambling, it's late. Just keep pushing. Things can be ****ty, but things can get better, too. Remember that you've always got friends here.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Have you accepted Super Smash Bros Melee as your Lord and Savior?

D

Deleted member

it would probably help if I played as a good character
if i've learned anything from 1000 pages of tier list speculation, it's that the only good characters are the ones your opponents pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Finally beat Yume Nikki, it took me a whole week because it gave me 200 spooks a second and I'm a very easily startled baby.

I really liked it though, even though I closed the game in panic multiple times. :cool:

Bazkip

Smash Master
My career **** isn't really together, but I get where you're coming from.

I'll be the first to admit that I've been incredibly lucky in life. Practically nothing there is anything accomplished by my own merit. I have an apartment because I have rich parents that bought a condo in the area, and I pay mortgage and condo fees as rent that allows me to stay here cheaply. I have the money for that because my parents, grandparents, and even great grandparents highly value education and have been investing in trust funds for me and my sister and my cousins for literally generations. I have career **** as together as I do because I have connections in the science and engineering worlds through my dad and my sister who have established careers in those or similar fields. I got into college because I had a supportive and healthy family in a good neighborhood with quality public schooling available.

Charm is weird, that'd be a whole different post, and I've kind of talked about stuff like that before.

Point is, none of that is because of me.

All of that is luck. And it's dumb. It's RNG. We all know that RNG is dumb.

The point here is, comparing yourself to other people is dangerous. There are always people that are more well-off than you, that were born with everything, that have opportunities fall into their laps, that seem like they barely have to try to succeed. Sure, it could be better. But that's meaningless. It could be worse. It could be better. That doesn't matter. It is, and what you've got is what you get.

The other thing is the Facebook Effect. You have to remember that people talk about different things in different places. I like PMS to be a more lighthearted place (obviously other than my occasional walls of text), and so I mostly joke or talk about things that are going well, things that I'm excited about.

I mean, yeah, some neat stuff is happening right now. But I nearly failed two midterms this quarter, I'm dropping one of my CS classes, over $50 in cash got stolen from me, and I got a parking ticket the other day. It's not all sunshine and rainbows. It's not a focus, though, it doesn't have to be. Instead, I'm gonna think about how neat it is that I've got a biweekly tournament that I'm running, that I own my own car now, that the club is still growing and everyone is improving.

I guess what I'm getting at is, you have every right to be bitter. The world can be a ****ty, unfair place to be. But it's surprising how much your own thoughts can impact the world around you. Your perception of the things around you can change a lot, and it's certainly possible to train yourself to see things in a different light. That's not to say it's easy, but it's possible.

The other thing is, people often underestimate how easy it is to get things. How easy it is to get something started, to make a difference, or just to get what you want. Too often, people are too scared to ask. You know how I started my biweekly? I walked into a game shop with a friend, asked the guy at the counter if he was the owner, and then told him that we wanted to start a weekly tournament at his venue for Smash. Told him the times, the prices, and the expected turnouts. He said, "Sure, I can do biweekly. How's a week from Sunday work?" And that was it.

I dunno, I'm rambling, it's late. Just keep pushing. Things can be ****ty, but things can get better, too. Remember that you've always got friends here.
So in addition to having everything going for you you're also humble as **** and have a great outlook on things?

God dammit Binary WHY DON'T YOU HAVE ANY FAULTS

Vashimus

Smash Master
While I tried to make what I said sound like a light-hearted jib, I will admit some negatively-charged thoughts were the driving force behind typing it. I have no ill will towards you at all, saltiness just kind of creeped in, but it's all good.

I'm also like Grey Belnades Grey Belnades 's situation, only I'm the second youngest and my older sisters can make me feel like a real idiot sometimes. Envy and bitterness does pop up in me from time to time as it does for everyone, but I definitely don't reserve the right to feel that way. The world doesn't owe me anything - even if I handle things perfectly, there will be times where I lose and not be rewarded for my efforts, despite the fact we live in a very entitled society here in the West. Yeah, a lot of life is RNG. So is poker, but there's still good and bad ways to play with the cards we're dealt. What we choose to do with them is up to us.

Tired myself so I'm not even gonna spend any longer than this but thanks.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Subspace Emissary in PM Intense made me and my friend want to rip our hair out. It's obvious these enemies were designed for the Brawl engine haha

MLGF

Smash Lord
Subspace Emissary in PM Intense made me and my friend want to rip our hair out. It's obvious these enemies were designed for the Brawl engine haha
Actually, Brawl SSE still had the absurd shield stun on intense.
PM is actually less groan inducing because characters like Falcon are absurd on SSE, Knee essentially one shots all smaller enemies, and can be spammed on giant enemies.
Actually, the optimal way to play SSE is to find that one stupidly fast character in each group and abuse them (Fox, Falcon, maybe Squirtle if I didn't suck)

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
dedede is more evil than ganondorf
confirmed. at least Ganon is honest about it, and he usually has a sorta noblesse oblige thing going about his conquest. D3 is just an arrogant douchebag that thinks he runs ****.

also the tier list speculation/character viability threads for Smash 4 are cancerous. I got boo'd out of there once for talking about D3 every so often when it was topical (especially when it was topical, like people asking/commenting on the character directly). "we get it, you play this character!" they said. yeah well no **** pal, I do play the character, and I don't see anybody else stepping up to talk about him, so here I am! hoping I can clear up misconceptions (e.g. "he's high tier!" plus other exaggerated claims) or whatever, y'know? not as an absolute authority or rep, but as someone that goes (well, went) to tourneys and played him. but no, I'm redundant. go figure.

(wonder what they think about Big D placing 65th at EVO and 17th at Paragon with the character, ehue)

pertaining to the Binary discussion: life RNG sucks. I got hit with it pretty lightly, but my fortitude saves against Mounting Emotional Problems have failed me. now everything for the past few years is piling up ever since the end was in sight. I'm out of a vehicle, out of patience, and out of place. the best set of opportunities (fiancee and a clean slate) in my life are agonizingly months away. so frustrated with everything here; my job (12 ****ing years of politicking, plumb bad luck, and mismanagement, with a pinch of admitted self-defeat and -destruction thrown in thanks to depression and anxiety), my friend/roommate (this one is a doozy and involves multiple factors; not gonna get into it in detail), my living situation (300-400 dollars for an electric bill on average, and because of my roomie's troubles, he can only shell out a hundred, leaving me the lion's share of the expense)...

but, he's right. perspective is important, and as long as I keep the end goal in mind, I feel a little better about ****. doesn't come to me quite readily as I like, because short-term focused, but I make due. it's all I got right now.

it could always be worse

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:
Top Bottom