• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Run brackets on time as much as possible/actively preclude top player privilege/collusion/floating/etc. should be grounds for harsh punishments.
tl;dr: Be efficient no matter how much people whine, and for that matter, hurt feelings are an obstacle to avoided or removed.

Last edited:

TreK

Is "that guy"
Any tips for TO'ing? Thinking about trying some tournaments out this summer and it'll be my first time in combination with me being 8 years old. Anyone + looks like @MLGF hosts.
From my experience as an amateur TO/working with other amateur TOs :
-prepare for the worst case scenarios as best you can, but don't let it stop you from hosting tourneys
-have a team help you, you can't do everything by yourself : it would to ruin everybody's experience, yours especially. And you'll hinder your local community's growth if you make it so they have to rely on you for tournaments.
-have a schedule that actually makes sense. If your schedule is tight, so should be your player cap. A top 8 on a single setup (for a stream) takes about 2 hours, often more.
-your setup per capita ratio should be between 1/4 and 1/2
-communicate as much as you can. Your tournament will only ever be as good as the people going to it.
-Spend a couple hours learning how to use Tio/Challonge before the tournament, so that you don't have to spend a couple hours learning how to use them on the day of.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Any tips for TO'ing? Thinking about trying some tournaments out this summer and it'll be my first time in combination with me being 8 years old. Anyone + looks like @MLGF hosts.
yeah

Be loud. If you can't be loud, get a megaphone or a friend who is loud and will yell for you all day. Make a schedule and stick to it. Make no exceptions for anyone and make it VERY clear that you will be strict about this. Plan adequate times for each event.

Seeding can be difficult, get top player opinions on seeding imo.

but really, TOing is a couple of things:

Getting the right venue.
promoting the event.
making a proper schedule.
DQing anyone who messes with the schedule.
Be loud and promptly keep to the schedule. Expecially early in the day its important to make things run smoothly. as bracket narrows down you can be a bit laxer if you have time to spare.

Player -0

Smash Hero
My makeshift plan that may never (but hopefully is) be put into effect:
- Spam SC & surrounding region's FB/Smashboards page.
- Get some prior TO's to help but flip tables at them randomly.
- Find venue.
- Figure out wtf a bracket is.
- Run 2-3 events. Probably going to do Smash 4 + Melee until I feel comfortable enough to add P:M into the schedule with the time contraints. Then maybe switch it up later.
- Figure out how not to get bullied by kcollege kids klub as an 8 year old. Speaking of which, have you guys had any problems with rule enforcing/people getting out of hand?

Frostav

Smash Apprentice
When comparing Smash to other traditional fighters, one of the things that bugs me about it is the sheer level of commitment that dashing is in Smash. In Smash when you dash you suffer a massive startup, lose the ability to any attacks besides a special dash attack (which usually sucks) and overall just lose a lot of ability to do anything. In most fighters, dashing is just faster walking: it's near instance, you can do every attack like normal, and can cancel it at any time.

I'm pretty half the reason wavedashing is so important to high-level Smash play is because it's the only way to retain full access to your moveset while moving. If dashes worked like traditional fighters (near-instant startup, you can use all your moves while dashing like when you're standing, no dash attacks), I'm certain wavedashing would be near borderline-useless in most situations.

I could be wrong, but if I were to design a platform fighter I wouldn't use Smash's dashing system, it's just way too clunky. I'd probably keep wavedashing in anyway, but it would have a situational use at best.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
When comparing Smash to other traditional fighters, one of the things that bugs me about it is the sheer level of commitment that dashing is in Smash. In Smash when you dash you suffer a massive startup, lose the ability to any attacks besides a special dash attack (which usually sucks) and overall just lose a lot of ability to do anything. In most fighters, dashing is just faster walking: it's near instance, you can do every attack like normal, and can cancel it at any time.

I'm pretty half the reason wavedashing is so important to high-level Smash play is because it's the only way to retain full access to your moveset while moving. If dashes worked like traditional fighters (near-instant startup, you can use all your moves while dashing like when you're standing, no dash attacks), I'm certain wavedashing would be near borderline-useless in most situations.

I could be wrong, but if I were to design a platform fighter I wouldn't use Smash's dashing system, it's just way too clunky. I'd probably keep wavedashing in anyway, but it would have a situational use at best.
Err..dashing is better than wavedashing lol.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
At least in Melee, you don't have to fully commit to a dash. You can either shield, jump, crouch, or reset the control stick to neutral to stop.

I think you're thinking of Smash 4, where you can't really do anything but shield to stop dashing without resorting to a dash attack.

Smooth Criminal

Frostav

Smash Apprentice
No it isn't.

During a dash you can dash and dash grab and...that's about it. Both are usually laggy and suck. Not to mention you suffer dash startup.

During a wavedash you can use your jab, all three of your tilts and all three of your smashes, and you use your much less laggy standing throw. You can also wavedash back much quicker.

Bottom line, you don't have as many offensive options during a dash.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Err..dashing is better than wavedashing lol.
Depends. Characters like Mewtwo, Luigi, and Ice Climbers can use wavedashing as a substitute for dashing due to how long and fast they travel. It's also dependent on the situation, where having access to your whole moveset in a pinch is more important then simply going from point A from point B.

Frostav

Smash Apprentice
My point is that you should always have access to your full moveset when doing something as simple as approaching, like in a normal fighter.

Vashimus

Smash Master
In Melee and P:M, you can cancel your dash into a crouch or a jump to do just about any move you want. It's not that big a commitment.

Captain Falcon isn't going to be wavedashing to get from Point A to Point B. For most characters, dashing is still the fastest way to move on the ground. Wavedashing is for quick positioning, getting onto ledges and platforms quicker, or a defensive option out of shield that's harder to punish than a roll in exchange for invincibility.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
My point is that you should always have access to your full moveset when doing something as simple as approaching, like in a normal fighter.
The reality is different, sadly. (´・ω・`)
Also, 'normal' is subjective.

inb4pedanticargument

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
DQ late people and also ban meta knight/kirby+snake teams :]

Smh the pmdt abusing the omnigay in tourney. Good pr for your game right there.

There's no real way to apply this, though. Dashing doesn't have to much commitment in pm and melee, running does. The way dashing works in smash in general is just too different to transition it to what's used in traditional fighters. For most characters dashing in smash is analogous not to dashing in traditional fighters, but to walking fast. Wavedashing is more akin to traditional dashing.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
you could just dash back the otherway, or jump, or if you really want to have full access to your tools learn to pivot, or learn the single fox trot distance and then do dash>run>crouch, then you have access to everything.

Dashing in melee/pm is LESS of a commitment than in other fighters because you're not commiting to an animation, you can turn/dash the other way, jump out(wavedash, upsmash, grab), shield, or pivot out of it. Its about having a lot more options during the movement itself instead of having a quicker recovery after the dash. Its a lot more flexible, although framewise yeah traditional FGs dash/runs tend to be a lot more straight forward with your options out of them.

Last edited:

Frostav

Smash Apprentice
Smh the pmdt abusing the omnigay in tourney. Good pr for your game right there.

There's no real way to apply this, though. Dashing doesn't have to much commitment in pm and melee, running does. The way dashing works in smash in general is just too different to transition it to what's used in traditional fighters. For most characters dashing in smash is analogous not to dashing in traditional fighters, but to walking fast. Wavedashing is more akin to traditional dashing.
...I am talking about running though? I'm talking about running towards your opponent.

Smash isn't a normal fighter, though.

Smooth Criminal
That doesn't mean it can't take ideas from them.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
No it isn't.

During a dash you can dash and dash grab and...that's about it. Both are usually laggy and suck. Not to mention you suffer dash startup.

During a wavedash you can use your jab, all three of your tilts and all three of your smashes, and you use your much less laggy standing throw. You can also wavedash back much quicker.

Bottom line, you don't have as many offensive options during a dash.
You have access to your entire moveset out of a dash through pivoting, and it's commonly used in tournaments lol. Smash is also a platform fighter this is based around movement. You also commit to frames during a wavedash not just a dash lol, and while some characters have better wavedashes than dashes, the best ones generally all have amazing dashes. Considering the fact that you can just pivot or wavedash out of your dash as well(and you can act frame 1 of a dash, you cannot act from a wavedash till off the top of my head frame 5 or 6?) I'm not really sure why you think dashing is committing. Wavedashing is more of a commitment in melee/pm than dashing is, and dashing can be used very offensively, much more so than wavedashing because of how quickly you can move in and out of your opponent attack range.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Either way, my point stands lol. You can act frame 1 of a dash, 15 frame wavedash commitment makes it much more punishable.

Frostav

Smash Apprentice
You have access to your entire moveset out of a dash through pivoting, and it's commonly used in tournaments lol.
"You have access to your whole moveset during a dash assuming you do this janky-as-hell tech that requires you to turn around"

I shouldn't have to do a goddamn tech to run up and dtilt an enemy with Marth. Especially not one that turns me around.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
...not very janky if it has practical applications, bro.

It's also not that hard to do, as it's not really tech. It's just the game's engine/physics.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
"You have access to your whole moveset during a dash assuming you do this janky-as-hell tech that requires you to turn around"

I shouldn't have to do a goddamn tech to run up and dtilt an enemy with Marth. Especially not one that turns me around.
You don't have to do any tech to run up and dtilt an enemy with Marth, that happens naturally. It sounds to me like you aren't very familiar with the games mechanics.

Top Bottom