• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
rosalina aside I've got a bigger problem PMS social.

My friend played project M around 2.6 and loved it through 3.5.

He was great at it for his level of technical knowledge, but recently he's been having problems.

Smash 4 came out and he played that exclusively for quite a while, but now he's trying to get back into project M but he can't. It's like everything he knows has been thrown out the window and he's even losing to people that I know he could beat.

I figure it was a good time to reteach him everything from the beginning, but I'm a horrible teacher. Normally we'd just play to get better but at his current project M level there is no way he would learn anything from that.

Is there any good methods anyone knows or any videos that would be great for learning the basics and advanced things?
I'm pretty sure he's a visual learner, but since I hold the controller differently than him he can't do it while seeing it from my hands.
Re-Re requesting assistance since all the funposting is over.

No telling him to just git gud won't work, and I'd rather have a buddy that is able to learn and grow in project M than not.

In fact, any good advice for teaching people in general? I've got 2 more friends with the potential and another one who is already there, but needs to work on it a bit more.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
a common trap i see new people fall into is "tech skill! wavedashing! wavelanding! aerial glide tossing! yeeee!"

in general, i try to reinforce to new players that the only tech skill that's important is shffl. everything else is superfluous and you won't appreciate it until you can control your character properly (new players especially vastly underestimate how important being able to tilt on command is, but think wavedashing back and forth means you're baller mode).

get them to drill basic movement (primarily shffl, learn to utilt especially on command, run vs walk and do basic stuff out of those, etc...). then, when you play with them, if you're actually training, point out all their dumb habits. "why do you always roll right after you hit my shield? that's predictable and i'm going to punish you the same way each time for it." "well, it feels safe..." "predictable isn't safe. do something different, keep things mixed up." things like that.

help break them of easy low level habits, like overrolling and always teching center stage. like, tell them that you hit them because they tech'd center. run to the center after a knockdown and charge something. hell, pause as you see their character move and predict their option.

but this stuff only works if they want to get better. if they just want to play for fun, there's not much you can do besides maybe point out reasons you're beating them so consistently, if they're getting upset.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
@ CORY CORY

For some reason just shffling and L cancelling seems to be the hardest thing for me to teach.

That's something I've tried to teach them many times and they may end up getting it down but not use it effectively in matches or forgo it altogether just out of forgetfulness to keep practicing it.

----

I have a question about being predictable.
I've been punishing their habits for years so even though they've gotten more unpredictable over the years they're like...very predictable to me. I know exactly how their going to mix up (Match up experience of players) but they aren't being predictable I'd say to a player that hasn't played them as much as I have.

How should I personally tackle that problem?

----

That movement advice is probably accurate and I'll try that. Most of them say they want to learn the things that I do which mostly consists of advanced techniques and feel outclassed. I usually refer to my brother to counter that statement since he doesn't have much tech skill or advanced technique knowledge but is just very good at predicting opponents moves and has good follow ups.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Being predictable isn't necessarily a bad thing, look at Daigo or Infiltration for instance; you know how they do things, and yet...
Not being a nut >>>>>> being one.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
@ CORY CORY

For some reason just shffling and L cancelling seems to be the hardest thing for me to teach.

That's something I've tried to teach them many times and they may end up getting it down but not use it effectively in matches or forgo it altogether just out of forgetfulness to keep practicing it.

----

I have a question about being predictable.
I've been punishing their habits for years so even though they've gotten more unpredictable over the years they're like...very predictable to me. I know exactly how their going to mix up (Match up experience of players) but they aren't being predictable I'd say to a player that hasn't played them as much as I have.

How should I personally tackle that problem?

----

That movement advice is probably accurate and I'll try that. Most of them say they want to learn the things that I do which mostly consists of advanced techniques and feel outclassed. I usually refer to my brother to counter that statement since he doesn't have much tech skill or advanced technique knowledge but is just very good at predicting opponents moves and has good follow ups.
for the shffl issue, it's just drills. if they want to do it, they're going to have to be boring and go into training mode for an hour or so a day to get used to it. do it raw, do it on a character, hold shield with your feet and get used to hitting a shield. if you have literal training sessions with them, hold shield or grab a couple characters so they can get used to the variable timings and stuff.

predictability in your situation is tricky : / if you have recording setups, you guys can watch matches after the fact and try to differentiate between "you did this, like, 4 times out of 8 chances, so the 9th time i went for it" and "well, i'm used to goading you into doing this". you still want to point out that you can predict them doing something and why, because you might be making them trigger on a movement and not be entirely aware of it yourself, and really good players will pick up on that quick and can make them feel even stupider.

when i was trying to help my littler brother learn pm, i was telling him the basic mindgames and setups, etc.... like "if you make me shield, you're link, so you have a safe jab to keep me from just jumping out. if i respect the jab too much, you can grab for free. if i predict grab and spotdodge, you can upb me, or just wait and grab me out of the end lag. if i roll away, you can dash attack or throw a bomb/boomerang to set up something. if i roll behind you, you have upb, turn around grab, utilt, etc..." try to lay out options. i tended to start small, so in the above situation, i limited it to just "grab vs upb" and tried to force myself not to exploit his limited optionset. once he got accustomed to that, i started expanding the options and trying to make him think on his own the ways to beat them.

he eventually got tired of it, because there is a bit of a base to build up to play the game (which he, for some reason, thinks doesn't exist in smash4 >.>) and he was also overly obsessed with fancy techskill. like, wd for no reason and get him out of it, because you would've gotten hit for dashing in that same way, etc...

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Yeah right now the triangle looks kind of out of place. Might look better with an outine maybe.

@ Lizalfos Lizalfos or anyone why is dark background/white text better? Dark text on white background works for everything else like books and newspapers, or is that old fashioned or something?

Slaudial

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0233-0174-7067
I just love how Meatknight can farm trap grabs with every hit of his ftilt and Ike can't at all with his jab combo

Really fair

CORY

wut
BRoomer
because print materials typically have no other choice, so it's just like that.

in terms of monitors: the bright background with a dark font, especially if the font is thinner/smaller, makes it harder to discern the letters, just due to washing out. you're also staring at a light, effectively, for long periods, while trying to focus on smaller letters. can lead to eyestrain.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I like how marth can upthrow chaingrab spacies at low percents,while diddy gets punished by wolf/falco for upthrow by a shine up until around 20%

And no I will not let this go it's stupid >.>

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
As someone who plays characters that have them(Samus and DK), OoS moves are a gimmick, just git gud and it won't matter.

Last edited:

Nixie

Smash Journeyman
My avi looks more blurry now compared to before it seems like. :/
it's because it is basically being forcibly sized up now

if you still have the source picture, it would be a very easy thing to correct

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043

You asked for it, really.

My avi looks more blurry now compared to before it seems like. :/
That can be fixed easily if you just recrop the original picture.

Need me to do it?

Slaudial

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0233-0174-7067
Yeah well the PM guys are just trying to bring the character in line with how he is in Smash 4

Also Ike is a badass IF you use black armor/japanese voice

Nixie

Smash Journeyman
oh it's already been done
this post is now irrelevant...

Last edited:

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
Focus on their movement and mental game, if they want to learn and practice tech. that's fantastic, but the biggest gains will come from a greater understanding of the neutral game, themselves, and their opponents. Honestly teaching or learning pure tech can destroy your mental game by pre-occupying and placing a priority on things that should, and will eventually be, automatic muscle memory, priority should be given actively trying to be aware of what is happening at large in the game instead. If you can drill anything into them, make it the importance of the mental game, not tech.

Also the South has every right to freak out, the infrastructure in place, while being no better than the USA's golden 1950's standards, was not designed for that kind of weather, nor would it be prudent for southern states to invest in most, if not all, of the things that mitigate snows' impact on northern transportation. On top of not having any equipment needed to help alleviate the problems caused by snow and ice, even things taken completely for granted like road salting or plows, southern drivers at large don't know how to drive in icy conditions...

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I'm sorry, but Purple Cobras or GTFO
Alright fair enough lol.

I prefer our own @Sapphire Dragon

who has long since abandoned us. ;_;7
I miss her as well brah. Once your PMS it's hard to leave :( .

Also just bought UNIEL today since it just came out with a few other PS3 games and my Amazon order with Project X Zone, Mayflash Gamecube Adapter, Wii LAN adapter and 50ft internet cables just came in as well yeah yeah.

Top Bottom