• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
So, I have procured glasses through the power of a mage. He said to refer to him as a "optometrist", but it is clearly a name used to obscure his rank to the untrained eye. I have never fretted so much over losing a microfiber cloth.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
So, I have procured glasses through the power of a mage. He said to refer to him as a "optometrist", but it is clearly a name used to obscure his rank to the untrained eye. I have never fretted so much over losing a microfiber cloth.

?

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
for the shffl issue, it's just drills. if they want to do it, they're going to have to be boring and go into training mode for an hour or so a day to get used to it. do it raw, do it on a character, hold shield with your feet and get used to hitting a shield. if you have literal training sessions with them, hold shield or grab a couple characters so they can get used to the variable timings and stuff.
I'll make sure to try to get him to focus specifically on shffl and stop his thoughts of any other stuff till he gets back in the flow.

And if any of my other friends want to try to learn again I'll do that for them too.

Let me make a small list of my friends and their strengths and weaknesses for whatever reason.

Oz - The most advanced out of them, I met him recently. He has a good knowledge of technical skill and good follow ups. I'd consider him my legitimate training partner. He desires to get better than me (Not that that's much of a goal anyway) and shows a lot of potential for growth.

Tries to shield grab a lot even on well spaced moves. Is pretty defensive but arguably too defensive. He flowcharts a lot so he's predictable. I've told him this and he's tried to make himself less predictable. I haven't played with him since then (about a month)

8 times out of 10 he wavedashes backwards when he approaches.
Cripples under overwhelming pressure

No mains but has fondness for Luigi, Bowser, and Mario

Zoro - My brother. Has no interest in technical skill whatsoever and just plays. His playstyle is best described as hyper aggressive. He almost never backs off regardless of his percent. He tries to stay on the opponent and force them into making mistakes with overwhelming "pressure". He says that he only plays off of instinct and doesn't think about things. He's pretty susceptible to getting read because of this, but mind games don't stop his assault.

Mains Sheik.

Azure - The initial friend I was referring to. He played calmly and spaces his attacks out well. He read people's tech rolls really well and was great at closing other people's options but his recovery skills are lacking since he has trouble with ledge drop -> jump. His technical skill is very low and has seen an immense skill drop due to playing too much smash 4 and not adapting enough to 3.5. He dropped his old main of zelda as he says "It doesn't feel right anymore" and is trying to pick up ganon right now. He's been trying other characters but can't find one that fits his playstyle. He's tried marth, pit, lucas, ness, ike and toon link but hasn't enjoyed any of them.
I can't talk about what he does wrong because his whole playstyle he used to have is literally in shambles. but right now it feels like he's doing everything wrong.

Mained Zelda in 3.0. Currently looking for a Main

K-N - Is very predictable. He plays mario and loves to approach / space with fireballs. His literal favorite is jump -> fireball -> Dsmash or Fsmash. I don't get much time to play with him. He definitely can learn but because of how often I get to see him to play with him, he doesn't retain much that he learns. He probably has the most motivation to learn, but real life is 4 stocking him every day. He is susceptible to mindgames and is far too predictable, yet he seems to throw other people off guard so maybe that's just me. He was the person I played with the most when I initially started learning competitive melee.

Mains mario, Sub-mains pit.

Kah-Ah-El - My local salt factory. He's a bowl of self pity because he isn't as good as the other people I mentioned here. He was the guy that was used to being the best at everything gaming related in his childhood, but he met me and subsequently lost in pretty much any fighting game. He beats me in card games, but Azure beats him in pretty much every one of those. Strategy games he loses to Zoro and K-N usually.

He wants to learn, but argues that he never has the chance, but he's a john factory. He has much more potential time to learn, but instead uses it doing other things or complaining about how he can't learn. He can, he just doesn't try hard enough.
He always complains about how he never improves, but the people he used to hang out with and be even with can't even come close to beating him anymore in smash. Mains peach, but has trouble floating properly. He's much better with ike but doesn't want to admit it because peach is his "Waifu"

Mains Peach, should Main Ike.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Anime seriously knows how to make me glad that I wear glasses despite the fact that I really hate them.

In other news, so I'm randomly going through old images of mine when suddenly I find this.

I forgot this one chick I knew suddenly had the urge to do a "what if" sketch for if my character was "Chris Redfield" levels of manly, as she put it, due to her obsession over both at the time. That and cause I would often tell her to "EAT IT", "TAKE IT", "SUCK IT" and "SUCK ON THIS" in his voice cause of MvC3.

In hindsight it kinda makes me laugh. ¦D

Ramz289

Smash Journeyman
I'll make sure to try to get him to focus specifically on shffl and stop his thoughts of any other stuff till he gets back in the flow.

And if any of my other friends want to try to learn again I'll do that for them too.

Let me make a small list of my friends and their strengths and weaknesses for whatever reason.

Oz - The most advanced out of them, I met him recently. He has a good knowledge of technical skill and good follow ups. I'd consider him my legitimate training partner. He desires to get better than me (Not that that's much of a goal anyway) and shows a lot of potential for growth.

Tries to shield grab a lot even on well spaced moves. Is pretty defensive but arguably too defensive. He flowcharts a lot so he's predictable. I've told him this and he's tried to make himself less predictable. I haven't played with him since then (about a month)

8 times out of 10 he wavedashes backwards when he approaches.
Cripples under overwhelming pressure

No mains but has fondness for Luigi, Bowser, and Mario

Zoro - My brother. Has no interest in technical skill whatsoever and just plays. His playstyle is best described as hyper aggressive. He almost never backs off regardless of his percent. He tries to stay on the opponent and force them into making mistakes with overwhelming "pressure". He says that he only plays off of instinct and doesn't think about things. He's pretty susceptible to getting read because of this, but mind games don't stop his assault.

Mains Sheik.

Azure - The initial friend I was referring to. He played calmly and spaces his attacks out well. He read people's tech rolls really well and was great at closing other people's options but his recovery skills are lacking since he has trouble with ledge drop -> jump. His technical skill is very low and has seen an immense skill drop due to playing too much smash 4 and not adapting enough to 3.5. He dropped his old main of zelda as he says "It doesn't feel right anymore" and is trying to pick up ganon right now. He's been trying other characters but can't find one that fits his playstyle. He's tried marth, pit, lucas, ness, ike and toon link but hasn't enjoyed any of them.
I can't talk about what he does wrong because his whole playstyle he used to have is literally in shambles. but right now it feels like he's doing everything wrong.

Mained Zelda in 3.0. Currently looking for a Main

K-N - Is very predictable. He plays mario and loves to approach / space with fireballs. His literal favorite is jump -> fireball -> Dsmash or Fsmash. I don't get much time to play with him. He definitely can learn but because of how often I get to see him to play with him, he doesn't retain much that he learns. He probably has the most motivation to learn, but real life is 4 stocking him every day. He is susceptible to mindgames and is far too predictable, yet he seems to throw other people off guard so maybe that's just me. He was the person I played with the most when I initially started learning competitive melee.

Mains mario, Sub-mains pit.

Kah-Ah-El - My local salt factory. He's a bowl of self pity because he isn't as good as the other people I mentioned here. He was the guy that was used to being the best at everything gaming related in his childhood, but he met me and subsequently lost in pretty much any fighting game. He beats me in card games, but Azure beats him in pretty much every one of those. Strategy games he loses to Zoro and K-N usually.

He wants to learn, but argues that he never has the chance, but he's a john factory. He has much more potential time to learn, but instead uses it doing other things or complaining about how he can't learn. He can, he just doesn't try hard enough.
He always complains about how he never improves, but the people he used to hang out with and be even with can't even come close to beating him anymore in smash. Mains peach, but has trouble floating properly. He's much better with ike but doesn't want to admit it because peach is his "Waifu"

Mains Peach, should Main Ike.
I feel like I'm in a similar situation with my brother. He has good follow ups and edge guards me pretty well most of the time, but he has little sense of spacing and positioning and I don't know how to go about teaching him. His entire plan is basically DD > grab/dash attack regardless of which character he plays (doesn't have a main yet) and I have trouble punishing him for it most of the time unless I'm playing Ganon.

what do?

Draco_The

Smash Lord
I feel like I'm in a similar situation with my brother. He has good follow ups and edge guards me pretty well most of the time, but he has little sense of spacing and positioning and I don't know how to go about teaching him. His entire plan is basically DD > grab/dash attack regardless of which character he plays (doesn't have a main yet) and I have trouble punishing him for it most of the time unless I'm playing Ganon.

what do?
Play Ganon.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Evo already over 1000 melee entrants...wow. PMS meetup there?

Top Bottom