• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Love Bravely Default. Mixing the classes is fun, and the music is amazing. I'm probably going to play Hard mode once I'm done with ORAS

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Best thing Sega's published in years. :troll:

It's GG #Reload on 'roids, more or less. It's pretty awesome.

Smooth Criminal
this nigga lel

cant wait to see it at EVO then.

hopefully marn is banned from running it lolol

Love Bravely Default. Mixing the classes is fun, and the music is amazing. I'm probably going to play Hard mode once I'm done with ORAS
you should have been playing hard mode from the start bruh

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
After playing Fox for a while in Melee just to goof off... I realized how easy shine spiking can be. After getting used to thr Melee controls and overall feel, I did a Fox ditto with a better player and shine spiked him to death five times in two matches. Fox's running and falling speed make it simple so long as you don't run face first into a hitbox

Last edited:

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
@ GHNeko GHNeko

I know it's stupid to complain so early on but the other, like, maybe 4 or 5 JRPGs I've ever played and put 75-100+ hours into didn't have me feeling thoroughly discouraged in the first few hours like this one has. I'll try to articulate it best I can:

For one, the ****ing time-manipulation thing is just confusing, and seemingly needless and also immediately like, overkill seeming-- like it's not even a game mechanic but an amateurish HACK. It's so, like easy? Idk. It just SEEMS like it's going to dampen the experience even as the foes get harder. And if it doesn't, it still feels obnoxiously unnatural and unfitting.

Secondly, it weirds me the f*ck OUT that you can just willy-nilly tweak the ENEMY ENCOUNTER RATE, effectively putting all of the strength pacing of your characters on your shoulders. Like, what am I a ****ing programmer? That's power I don't want or need. How do I know what's going to be best as far as how often I'm forced to fight and gain experience based on upcoming fights? It doesn't make any sense as an rpg and i am freaking out. Also I have to worry if I'm boring myself inadvertently by having the encounter rate set to default, and like, UGH. IT'S WRONG MAN. It's seriously uncomfortable.

Thirdly, again, I am incredibly disappointed by the VA. I've literally not played a dubbed JRPG yet that had VA's this regurgitated. The King dude who does every old motherf**er in dubbed anime and that obnoxious slow talking hulk dude next to the white-clad villain lady, his va is also over used and he spoke his poorly executed lines soooo slowly and I was like, the artistic integrity was lost-- I wasn't ready to tolerate voicing this bad for the story's entirety. Do both those characters die soon, plase? It's also an incredible game faux-pas to force your players to HEAR dialogue WITH subtitles, with no option of it, because then you're torn between the two realtime as the dialogue is exposed-- one or the other is always a word or several behind and it's utterly jarring. It seriously ruins cinematic sequences in a game's narrative. I know the gamegrumps have b*tched about this very thing and they are some credible mofos.

/rant

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
this ***** lel

cant wait to see it at EVO then.

hopefully marn is banned from running it
Agreed on both counts (Marn especially needs to piss off). Lol. Even if Xrd isn't on the main line up this year I'm going to EVO regardless. Maybe a side-tourney will pop up if it's not on the main card.

Smooth Criminal

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
holy **** Xrd has probably the best animation i've ever seen ever. Maybe just below that paper man short disney did.

edit: SH! I hear in the distance the afternoon's torrent of mw likes.

Last edited:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
@ GHNeko GHNeko

I know it's stupid to complain so early on but the other, like, maybe 4 or 5 JRPGs I've ever played and put 75-100+ hours into didn't have me feeling thoroughly discouraged in the first few hours like this one has. I'll try to articulate it best I can:

For one, the ****ing time-manipulation thing is just confusing, and seemingly needless and also immediately like, overkill seeming-- like it's not even a game mechanic but an amateurish HACK. It's so, like easy? Idk. It just SEEMS like it's going to dampen the experience even as the foes get harder. And if it doesn't, it still feels obnoxiously unnatural and unfitting.

Secondly, it weirds me the f*ck OUT that you can just willy-nilly tweak the ENEMY ENCOUNTER RATE, effectively putting all of the strength pacing of your characters on your shoulders. Like, what am I a ****ing programmer? That's power I don't want or need. How do I know what's going to be best as far as how often I'm forced to fight and gain experience based on upcoming fights? It doesn't make any sense as an rpg and i am freaking out. Also I have to worry if I'm boring myself inadvertently by having the encounter rate set to default, and like, UGH. IT'S WRONG MAN. It's seriously uncomfortable.

Thirdly, again, I am incredibly disappointed by the VA. I've literally not played a dubbed JRPG yet that had VA's this regurgitated. The King dude who does every old motherf**er in dubbed anime and that obnoxious slow talking hulk dude next to the white-clad villain lady, his va is also over used and he spoke his poorly executed lines soooo slowly and I was like, the artistic integrity was lost-- I wasn't ready to tolerate voicing this bad for the story's entirety. Do both those characters die soon, plase? It's also an incredible game faux-pas to force your players to HEAR dialogue WITH subtitles, with no option of it, because then you're torn between the two realtime as the dialogue is exposed-- one or the other is always a word or several behind and it's utterly jarring. It seriously ruins cinematic sequences in a game's narrative. I know the gamegrumps have b*tched about this very thing and they are some credible mofos.

/rant

Are you talking about Bravely Second @ 1st point? Bro. That's a completely optional mechanic and even then it has its place within the story lolol. The whole point of Bravely Second is to either rekt bosses because it raises the damage cap to 999999, or simply to save your ass if you're getting bopped. It's a convenience. Also, how is it confusing? What don't you get about it? You can't abuse it because it requires you to spend SP, of which you can only earn one like every few hours or something. I also can't say I agree with the idea it's a amateurish hack because its inclusion is mostly for accessability for newbies and unskillful players.

The enemy encounter rate switch is a feature that is made for people who choose to use it man. I don't see why adding that is a bad thing. There are hundreds, if not, thousands of people who seriously dislike random encounters, so giving people the option to turn it down or off entirely is super useful. Again, it's also a convenience. If you don't like it, just don't **** with it because the game is balanced around the default settings. I think you're over-thinking the purpose of its existence. The way the game was made to be played is based on default settings. Why are you thinking about "what's going to be the best as far as how often I'm forced to fight"? You're letting the idea of a customizable experience get to your head i think. It makes sense in RPGs because BD isn't the only RPG that lets you alter encounter rates; e.g. any rpg with an item/equip that tweaks encounter rates. So again, encounter rate is placed there for convenience and streamlining. It's also super super useful for JRPG veterans like myself. In my last game, when i finished my end-game party and everything was maxed, there was no point to random encounters except to waste my time at that point. Turning encounters off entirely is super useful lol, as well as doubling the encounter rate for faster grinding.

When it comes to voice actors, that's an entirely subjective thing. I think the English VAs did a great job, as well as most of the JP VAs. I personally cant stand JP Ringabel's voice so I play on English. If you can stand either VA, you can turn voices off completely as well, so that's a nice little feature.

You have to realize that BD did a huge favor to the JRPG genre by streamlining many mechanics and concepts that otherwise would cause JRPGs to remain as niche as they were, but not only that, what they did streamline is completely optional and JRPG veterans can simply not **** with these options and have a completely traditional JRPG experience. That is why there are still teleport stones and teleport spells to exit dungeons (vs simply turning the encounter rate to -100% and walking out the dungeon). That is why you can disable autosave, and force yourself to utilize save points like old school JRPGs. They even go a step further and allow you to turn of EXP, JP, and GP (Gil) entirely so that you can run challenges a lot easier. NO EXP Challenge is so easy to set up. No JP challenges are so easy to set up. Being able to switch the difficulty on the fly so that those who are half way into the game and feel the game is easy, dont have to restart the whole game just to play on hard, and vise-versa; where those who feel the game is too difficult and simply tone down the difficulty so they can continue to enjoy the game.

A lot of what is done in BD is fore the sake of EVERYONE so that EVERYONE who picks up the game has methods of maximizing their enjoyment. If they didn't streamline the options, I'm sure that hundreds of games and dozens of reviews wouldnt have rated and praised the game as highly as they have, if even at all. People would have labeled it another ****ing old-school JRPG. MORE people would have given up on the game and put it down without a second thought because certain aspects of the JRPG genre just got on their nerves. ETC ETC.

You want a traditional JRPG? Just dont **** with the settings man. Turn off the voices, or turn on JP VAs. Dont touch Bravely Second even if it means a game over. The power is literally in your hands, *****.

EDIT: Derp. Made a mistake about running away in BD.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yessss I got SVN working on my new laptop

guys I can work on project m without using my old ****ty computer

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
you should have been playing hard mode from the start bruh
Noted, will do for Bravely Second. Who was your favorite boss btw?
And here I am thinking the vice versa on the Japanese dubs (well not really). You should be able to read the dialogue fast enough to skip most of the voice acting and just skip the dialogue entirely if it really bothers you. :/

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
I turned enemies down to easy and bosses to normal/hard because I hate level/job-grinding (because I'm a casual). I don't think I would've liked the game nearly as much without that feature.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Noted, will do for Bravely Second. Who was your favorite boss btw?

And here I am thinking the vice versa on the Japanese dubs (well not really). You should be able to read the dialogue fast enough to skip most of the voice acting and just skip the dialogue entirely if it really bothers you. :/
My favorite Boss was probably the final boss, with DeRosso coming at a close second because DeRosso was the first boss I was able to completely steamroll by beating him on hard without taking ANY damage what-so-ever.

Also, you can turn voice's off completely lol.

I turned enemies down to easy and bosses to normal/hard because I hate level/job-grinding (because I'm a casual). I don't think I would've liked the game nearly as much without that feature.
See, I'm like the opposite. I turned everything to hard and encounter rate to +100% (2X) because I love random battles and I love hard bosses.

And I dont think I would have liked BD as much as I did, if I DIDNT have that option because the extra time I would have spent grinding would have seriously made **** unfun.

SO being able to speed the battle animations up by like 4x and having AUTO battle, while having 2X encounter rate made grinding 10x faster and easier and less tedious than normal JRPGs.

****'s great.

Last edited:

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
@ GHNeko GHNeko alright read and my response is, okay, here I go. I guess.

Obviously I am just afraid of change and responsibility.

I think I have acquired a super high taste for random encounters for various reasons. I love them for some reason in all their inconveniences. Anyway. Yeah, i'll keep everything default.

My fave jrpgs were FF7, Skies of Arcadia, and FF12.

Last edited:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
@ GHNeko GHNeko alright read and my response is, okay, here I go. I guess.

Obviously I am just afraid of change and responsibility.
It's okay warsaint.

We all are.

But with great responsibility comes great power.

or some **** like that idk.

just start a new game, put that **** on hard, turn off VAs or put them to japanese and dont **** with the config ever again. dont use ablinks either. dont use bravely second, and dont use "summon friend"

then you'll be good to go.

I WOULD SAY TURN OFF AUTOSAVES, but BD does have some crashing issues. I had BD crash on me like 4 times early on, but it stopped later on, but I never turned off autosaves because each time it did crash, I lost about 30 mins to an hour of gameplay on each crash.

Last edited:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
did anyone **** with Lost Odyssey? I did like 50 hours of that and then lost the disc. Huge bummer.
did anyone **** with Lost Odyssey?
Lost Odyssey
Lost Odyssey
Lost Odyssey
Lost Odyssey
Lost Odyssey

WHYYYYYY

WHY DID YOU BRING UP THIS GAMMME

AUGHHH

I ONLY GOT TO DISC 2 AND I ALREADY HAD CRIED LIKE 4 TIMES MAN

WHYYY

AL:UAGH:LKJAS

Swampy948

Smash Cadet
I don't understand the question? Does this refer to submitting an unranked/free tourney to Smashboards Rankings?
I guess so? I'm hosting friendlies and I want people to come. I won't start hosting tourneys until I'm comfortable with friendlies

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I guess so? I'm hosting friendlies and I want people to come. I won't start hosting tourneys until I'm comfortable with friendlies
Oh, I see. Yeah that's perfectly fine. Typically an event with a free entry / friendlies only is called a Smashfest, which is what it sounds like you want to host. An event with a paid entry / bracket is called a tourney, which you can host sometime in the future once you have experience hosting a few Smashfests.

red9rd

Smash Ace
In he near future, trying to stay on Nintendo's good side project M replaces the Brawl announcer, so that Smash4 isn't the only entry with an annoying one.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
I know this is a little nuts but I wish it were mandatory for every forum member to have their city of residency public so you could always know how many smashers you were in proximity with.

I might get it

Side note
I'm not into drugs or anything, but I wonder what it would be like, to watch bobobo bo bobobo while you're high as af
I struggle with anxiety and so I'd probably just have a panic attack.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Mega Camerupt might be my new favorite mega

I just passed a nasty plot to it. 427 spa, +2 swinging with Sheer force earth power really hurts everything

Top Bottom