• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
same reason you'd need a gamecube emulator, or an emulator of any console ever

hardware is inevitably going to die off, even the most well-oiled machine is gonna crash and burn. time is not kind to technology, you need to keep creating and constructing to get around it.

but software? software is a durable little thing. at worst, it can be outdated by operating systems, but even then it can be worked around. software lasts, at least, a long time, and at most, as long as people can continue to circulate it.

one day, gamecubes are going to be expensive, solely because, one by one, they're going to crap out. eventually, there will only be a handful in the world left--and even then, time will eventually envelop them, too.

but we'll still play melee, because we got computers, and we have ways of circulating the technology that allows us to do these thing online, and that's pretty god damn amazing
All of this is also why pirating isn't going anywhere.
Or being stopped.

...Why do people try against that? Literally wasting their lives and livelihoods against something that would gladly
put them in rock bottom out of pragmatism, and healthy amounts of spite.

I don't get it.
Frigging hubris.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
The real hubris today is on the consumer's part, don't twist it. Thinking that they always deserve everything right now immediately upon release without having to pay for it or wait for it to be legally available. Anime, films, games whatever it is.

Everything can't be free nor should it be, and the owner of said product has the right to protect it even if fighting piracy as a whole is impossible. Why should they make it easy for people who don't care about supporting something they supposedly love?

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
...We are talking about two completely different things.

I'm talking about corrupt trash like the RIAA/MPAA never learning their place or from their mistakes, and continuing to struggle against historical-scale factors directly opposing them.(That NEVER works for anyone... and they'll get their karma for trying.)
You're talking about overly self-entitled morons in target audiences. That is not news, nor something I have an issue with; it's funny to point and laugh at people who are like THAT.

Bruh.

Last edited:

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
yeah. look at pm, he's still here... oh, my fault, smash is a party game

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that sounds pretty bad lol I guess your processor just isn't strong enough for it since it's on the lower end and your RAM is average.
Damnit, alright I gotta buy a gaming computer then haha, do you know of any good ones that aren't ridiculously expensive? My main reason for buying a new computer is just to play PM netplay

EDIT: Sorry I'm asking you so many questions btw haha it just seems like you have a good amount of knowledge with this, and seeing as I won't be in the tournament scene as often anymore, I'd like to make up for it with netplay

Last edited:

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Guyyyyys my computers been acting weird. Sometimes my mouse and keyboard both freeze (but the stuff I'm watching keeps playing) and the only way to fix it is to shut it off. Any suggestions?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I'm gonna say a driver malfunction but if no solutions for that work, best guess is to replace them. It's probably software/driver though.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Damnit, alright I gotta buy a gaming computer then haha, do you know of any good ones that aren't ridiculously expensive? My main reason for buying a new computer is just to play PM netplay

EDIT: Sorry I'm asking you so many questions btw haha it just seems like you have a good amount of knowledge with this, and seeing as I won't be in the tournament scene as often anymore, I'd like to make up for it with netplay
It's cool lol I don't mind answering questions. Your best bet for a gamimg PC would be to build one yourself, since it'll work out better in the long run. @ Hylian Hylian knows more about this than I do though, so perhaps he can lend a hand with suggestions.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman

Wait until fall or spring, the new Gen hardware will start to cycle and the gear from the previous seasons will go on sale. Try not to buy anything that isn't at least 20-30% off (with rebates I built my recent rig at nearly 65% retail). Look into the parts before you buy them, and remember that the PSU and Motherboard MUST be high-quality. Overclock.net has a psu hierarchy chart, essentially: Seasonic, PC Power and cooling, and arguably corsair (the latter pair use seasonic's parts) should be the only relevant companies. There are alot of wattage calculators to help you decide on what you'll need for your system, but a 650-750w gold/platinum psu will run most anything, provided you stay mid-end. High-end xfire or ski can require more juice, but for a budget rig you don't really have to worry about it. AMD has the best price-performance ratio, especially in the gpu market, CPU-wise Intel almost never has any sales, but when a good I5 or I7 goes on sale, it's worth picking up since they will probably weather 4 or 5 years of games, software, and just the market in general. Asus makes really solid motherboards at a great price, Kingston, Crucial, and Corsair are the only relevant Ram providers (just grab 8 gigs of 1600, you don't really see any benefit from ram running any faster than that outside of benchmarks and folding). Also the HAF 912 is probably the best case, for the money, that has or ever will exist. I would also recommend replacing the stock CPU heat sink with a hyper 212+ evo as it routinely goes on sale for around 10-15 and performs as well as $80 closed loop water-coolers.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
does the official nintendo gamecube adapter come out the same day as smash 4?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I would highly recommend going with Intel and not AMD for the processor even if it's more expensive. If you have a Microcenter near you they sell the 4670k cheaper than anywhere online.

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
It's cool lol I don't mind answering questions. Your best bet for a gamimg PC would be to build one yourself, since it'll work out better in the long run. @ Hylian Hylian knows more about this than I do though, so perhaps he can lend a hand with suggestions.
Alright I'll hit him up at some point

Wait until fall or spring, the new Gen hardware will start to cycle and the gear from the previous seasons will go on sale. Try not to buy anything that isn't at least 20-30% off (with rebates I built my recent rig at nearly 65% retail). Look into the parts before you buy them, and remember that the PSU and Motherboard MUST be high-quality. Overclock.net has a psu hierarchy chart, essentially: Seasonic, PC Power and cooling, and arguably corsair (the latter pair use seasonic's parts) should be the only relevant companies. There are alot of wattage calculators to help you decide on what you'll need for your system, but a 650-750w gold/platinum psu will run most anything, provided you stay mid-end. High-end xfire or ski can require more juice, but for a budget rig you don't really have to worry about it. AMD has the best price-performance ratio, especially in the gpu market, CPU-wise Intel almost never has any sales, but when a good I5 or I7 goes on sale, it's worth picking up since they will probably weather 4 or 5 years of games, software, and just the market in general. Asus makes really solid motherboards at a great price, Kingston, Crucial, and Corsair are the only relevant Ram providers (just grab 8 gigs of 1600, you don't really see any benefit from ram running any faster than that outside of benchmarks and folding). Also the HAF 912 is probably the best case, for the money, that has or ever will exist. I would also recommend replacing the stock CPU heat sink with a hyper 212+ evo as it routinely goes on sale for around 10-15 and performs as well as $80 closed loop water-coolers.
.....I......I can't just go to a store and buy a decent computer? Hahaha sorry I'm so lost on all that I appreciate the information but that's way over my head, I have no idea what half that stuff is

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Alright I'll hit him up at some point

.....I......I can't just go to a store and buy a decent computer? Hahaha sorry I'm so lost on all that I appreciate the information but that's way over my head, I have no idea what half that stuff is
You can if you are okay with spending FAR more money on what will ultimately be an inferior product.
And it seems overwhelming, but there are tons of people on this site alone that are willing to help not to mention the rest of the internet (you can find plenty of resources for beginners that will explain computer stuff in plain detail), even better if you have a friend or family member with experience.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
please no. I deal with enough hipsters at work, besides that was so half hearted its not even funny.
Where do you work? I can give you some more full hearted ones:
I played Dota 1 super back in the day, and it's still the best since Wc3 was also an amazing game. Now LoL is pure goof trash and Dota 2 is okay but ugly and lame, and HoN I have no clue.
I liked Drum and Bass before it was cool
I liked Parov Stelar/Glitch Mob while they were only moderately cool, and now excessively cool.
I saw the Wombo Combo video when it only had 30k or so views.
I knew about Bitcoin before it was cool, but didn't invest because I fail at taking advantage of my keen ability to know of things prior to their cool-hood.
I played PM since 1.0

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Agreed with the other guys, it's much more cost efficient and worth while to build your own PC, Wolf. There are tons of help you can find online or in real life at electronic stores if you talk to the employees. You'll learn a lot more about computers in the process too, so things won't be so alien to you later if you want to do something simple like upgrade RAM.

Plus there's the warm fuzzy feeling that comes with looking at your sweet rig and saying "Yeah... I built this ****."

Last edited:

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I played PM since it was a Falco mod featuring Brawl+.
And you people didn't even know it existed yet.
My level? Just try to get on it.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
I would highly recommend going with Intel and not AMD for the processor even if it's more expensive. If you have a Microcenter near you they sell the 4670k cheaper than anywhere online.
But AMD processors are so much fun to abuse with ridiculous overclocks =[ lol, but Hylian is right, which is why I took the time to specifically mention Intel's CPU's. Also if you want I can try to help you out through PM's, but long story short, if it isn't a laptop, don't buy prefab.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
+1 to building your own computer Wolf. The hardest part is deciding what to buy, but the entirety of the internet can help you with that. Building it is just a matter of staying grounded(easy) and putting pieces in like they are lego pieces, it's way easier than you would think.

Use this site to help you keep track of what you want:

http://pcpartpicker.com

Here is an example of a computer I built this year(with some slight modifications of parts I didn't buy online):

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JLP8ZL

There is a reddit forum for building computers that is very helpful as well as this guys videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erUCNV2KGPU&list=UUmWNCO9wSjzOz1UV8jCvIHA

Top Bottom