• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

leelue

Smash Lord
Do I count?

I don't like this nerf because instead of being a successor to Melee this game is becoming a successor to Brawl+.

Who care's what's Melee anymore we changed the two most untouchable characters, you could give Captain Falcon a projectile at this point and it'd be a microscopic change in comparison. (No, this isn't a slippery slope argument. You'd have to be, in a way, "on the slope" for that to be the case. Shines are "at the bottom of the slope," as a way of putting it. You touched the moves that could easily be considered the most untouchable in the game to change.)

Instead of trying to balance this game to Melee A-D tiers how about trying balancing the game to S-B tiers so the game is what it was goddamn supposed to be from the ideals of like, what now, 3 years ago? Oh wait, nevermind because the community *****es every single time a character is S or A tier (Lucario, Sonic, Ike) to get those nerfed to Melee C tier instead of fixing any inherent flaws in the characters (Shield pressure, identification of moves, wonky hitboxes respectively) that would fix the main design flaws while leaving these characters S/A tier so people can't ***** about them anymore.

While you're already in PSA to change Shines back, how about you put Sheik NTSC D-Throw back too.

BTW what's the point of Wolf's shine now especially, a move that can be CC'd till like a trillion percent, has no invincibility, and does **** damage. By the time they can't CC it anymore it probably can't be followed up into anything. That's another great thing about the Shine nerf.

I can't tell if this post is satire or not

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I still don't understand this argument that being on top makes you "untouchable" any more than any other character who is balanced and changed to make sense. Or any one move being "untouchable" as in impossible to tweak at all, even slightly.

The problem really being that the developers unfortunately propagated that false narrative themselves for years so of course others are still on that particular bandwagon as a result.

Well, unless "everything is subject to change" really meant what it said.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'd love to hear why Shine OF ALL MOVES is untouchable. The change to Shine strips away some lame things, while keeping it a Frame 1 move that still bodies the world. What's the complaint now? "I CAN'T AVOID GETTING GRABBED WITH SHINE ANYMORE, GRAB WINS SHINE LOSES PMBR SUCK", "I CAN'T DODGE MOVES BY CHANCE AND WIN TRADES FREELY"?

Spacies got a tiny slap on their huge, highly protected peepee's. You should be glad they aren't a League character: don't like them? They may get a complete rework along with a new portrait and **** IT NEW BACKSTORY ASHE IS FROM MAINE NOW AND HEIMERDINGER OWNS AN ITALIAN PIZZERIA!

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
You would think that people would understand that being a successor to something does not mean that you need to be identical to it. This game aspires to be the sequel that Melee deserved, not to be Melee. Nothing is untouchable or should be and players should be willing to play a new game that advances play instead of the same exact thing with more characters.

It's not like the game is called "Super Smash Bros Melee Hyper Super Rainbow Turbo Edition".

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I don't like this nerf because instead of being a successor to Melee this game is becoming a successor to Brawl+..

AAAWWWWWWWHHHH SHHHHYYYTTTEEEEE

That's honestly where this game is starting to trail off to be honest, and it sounds like that's what some of the Project M fanbase wants, except without the dying into obscurity. 1 frame shine invincibility is honestly more of a quirk than anything useful outside of TAS tricks but it's an obvious direction change when a project originally started as a recreation of Melee Falco nerfs the space animals.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The changes are tiny things that don't deserve rants about "the greatness of Melee" and how we're off tangent and failures for putting in those nerfs.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Now that we're talking about 2.1 characters, that reminds me. Whatever happened to PGH Carrol or whatever that guy's name was? The guy who had IKE in every post for god knows how long as a running gag? He would probably shed a tear of joy with new Ike.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
To claim that because of one small change to spacies Project M is abandoning it's purpose is ridiculous. I'm a big fan of melee but Project M is not melee and thus does not need to be exactly like it. The purpose of the game is to be melee inspired, not an exact copy adding a couple new characters. I am cool with changing the melee vets that may need it.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
TOO LATE

IT'S TOO LATEEEEE TO APOLOGIZEEEEEEEEEEE IT'S TOO LATEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
let me just bump up my 2.1 video because it makes me feel fuzzy inside (also because its my first pm video ever

SunJester

Smash Ace
Even if Fox and Falco got nerfed to hell I'd really hope that wouldn't stop people from playing this game. I know it kinda sucks to put a lot of time and effort into a character to only have them changed, (something I can only empathize with since I don't play this competitively) but at the same time I think its good to keep adapting and keep in mind this game is still a demo. Yeah, Fox and Falco got nerfed, and that kinda sucks. I'll be optimistic here and maybe you could try out a new character? Spread those wings a bit?

Something I highly recommend is just going on random and experimenting with different characters. You might find someone new you like.

Just a reminder, the people making this game are people who WANT to play this game. They're not trying to ruin it, they're not trying to lose fans, they're trying to make the best game they can. So just take a breather and air your grievances in an organized manner, and maybe they might listen.

And if you don't want to try that there's always Melee to play.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
new melee tier list is weeeeiiiirrrrd.

also if fox/falco gets nerfed, I'm willing to actively play then b/c then being creative might actually be an advantage over waveshine waveshine usmash

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
doublepostin

if you think any single mechanic in a videogame is "untouchable" then you are a literal infant who can't handle change and you really shouldn't have any saying power in what happens

if you want a 1:1 version of melee fox, play melee. this is melee 2.0, things are going to be different, adaptability is a skill, best keep up

unless, of course, you can't admit change because it means you might have to not flowchart for once ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Might as well give everyone a shine and call it a day.
Everybody look under your controller ports. You get a shine! You get a shine! Everybody gets a shine! If they manage to get the clone system working, they might as well just make a character called shine who does nothing but shine.
Up B can be Shine Rocket, a shine that targets the nearest ledge and auto sweet-spots the ledge with full invincibility.
Side B can be Shine Booster, a shine that charges across the stage like Sonic's 2.5 spin dash and functions identically to it.
Neutral B can be Shine Wave, a shine that is also a projectile with infinite range and knockback/stun equal to Fox's.
Down B can be Shine Shine, a fully invincible shine with the size of Wolf's, but the speed of Fox/Falco's. If you reflect anything, you recover all your health. If you hit an opponent with it, it stuns them long enough for you to fully charge Ike's Neutral B on top of them.

There, the perfect character and perfectly balanced too.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
ordered a tri-wing screwdriver on ebay, to hell with it I'll fix this controller myself

should probably take off the spring on my r-button, since I use that for DACUS/quick aerial things

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
You don't have to take the spring out, just push the R button in while you put your controller in the Wii port.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Alternatively, try playing with a Flashlight instead of a Gamecube controller. All you need to do to win is *shine* it brightly in their eyes.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
2.1 lucas was amazing, though he hella changed in every version after and i cant play him for **** now

I can't play him anymore either, and from what I heard, I was really good with him in 2.1 even though I never played it ever.

EDIT: I read that as Ike. Whatever. I'm not deleting the ****ing joke.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Do I count?

I don't like this nerf because instead of being a successor to Melee this game is becoming a successor to Brawl+.

Who cares what's Melee anymore we changed the two most untouchable characters, you could give Captain Falcon a projectile at this point and it'd be a microscopic change in comparison. (No, this isn't a slippery slope argument. You'd have to be, in a way, "on the slope" for that to be the case. Shines are "at the bottom of the slope," as a way of putting it. You touched the moves that could easily be considered the most untouchable in the game to change.)

Instead of trying to balance this game to Melee A-D tiers how about trying balancing the game to S-B tiers so the game is what it was goddamn supposed to be from the ideals of like, what now, 3 years ago? Oh wait, nevermind because the community *****es every single time a character is S or A tier (Lucario, Sonic, Ike) to get those nerfed to Melee C tier instead of fixing any inherent flaws in the characters (Shield pressure, identification of moves, wonky hitboxes respectively) that would fix the main design flaws while leaving these characters S/A tier so people can't ***** about them anymore.

While you're already in PSA to change Shines back, how about you put Sheik NTSC D-Throw back too.

BTW what's the point of Wolf's shine now especially, a move that can be CC'd till like a trillion percent, has no invincibility, and does **** damage. By the time they can't CC it anymore it probably can't be followed up into anything. That's another great thing about the Shine nerf.

I want to see how you, Paradoxium, and Jackpot respond to this. I posted this in another thread.:

Fox is as good as he is because in addition to certain uncharacteristically good moves (uair, usmash), he has incredible speed and an abusable 1 frame all-utility move (shine) that takes advantage of his speed. If a character wants to be as good as Fox, they need some gimmick like shine that is "broken", and they need real character attributes that put that character well ahead of the PM2.6 cast. I don't think you can give 32 characters (yet alone 10 characters) a silly 1 frame-esque gimmick, some overblown stat similar to speed, and crazy kill moves without homogenizing the play styles in the game. I mean, 2.5 Sonic in a way was the "new fox" with infinite possibilities. But if we get 10 characters like that, how far can we push it without making everyone a fast rush down character?

Ultimately, Ike and Lucario, while very good in 2.1, were also braindead and bad for the game. From what I hear, they offered certain advantages that made the game less interesting and allowed worse players to negate the talent of better players. I bet you could develop 3 or 4 rewarding characters bulit around a gimmick like shine, but I don't think you could make more characters than that that have all purpose amazing gimmicks and are still not braindead.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
You don't have to take the spring out, just push the R button in while you put your controller in the Wii port.
I CAN do that, yes, but it still feels weird b/c now I have to push it in fully

I'm opening up my controller anyway, might as well do that (and maybe take out the rumble pack? who knows)

Top Bottom