• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Wait, are Lucina and Marth really related?
YES both Chrom and Lucina along with Chrom's sisters are. Fire Emblem Awakening happens several 100 to 1000 years after the Marth based Akenia games so FE 1/3 and the remakes of 1 and 3 on the DS of 12/13 and a little bit of FE2 as well. This is even more apparent cause a very important character in FE 1/3/12/13 Tiki is in Awakening with the appearance of a young adult and a playable Anna.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
YES there are. Fire Emblem Awakening happens several 100 to 1000 years after the Marth based Akenia games so FE 1/3 and the remakes of 1 and 3 on the DS of 12/13 and a little bit of FE2 as well. This is even more apparent cause a very important character in FE 1/3/12/13 Tiki is in Awakening with the appearance of a young adult and a playable Anna.
Knowledge drop.
Feels.
>looking for my gameboy

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Knowledge drop.
Feels.
>looking for my gameboy
The more you know. Fire Emblem is quickly becoming into my most loved video game series so me and this new reveal got me super excited. Not gonna be Star Fox in my heart though.

EDIT:

Last edited:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Just read this on reddit, its possible that lucina isnt a clone at all. Its possible that theyre showing off her custom moveset, (that is identical to marth's) and are hiding her actual moveset.
The thing is with the exceptions of Palutena's and the Mii Fighters', the custom moves are supposed to be fairly similar (at least animation-wise because I know Kirby's ice breath is very different) to the default moves... so judging only by the trailer and nothing else that would likely make Lucina a clone.

Last edited:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
So nerds are talking about potential L-Cancel in Smash 4 with the Lucina reveal hmm.

http://gfycat.com/FineSentimentalGecko

Also I have a reddit account now.
Yeah, but it's possible that the landing lag was just plain reduced as a response to feedback from the people that tried the game at E3. I'd prefer that to be honest because L-canceling (as opposed to just having plain faster aerial cooldown) is kind of a needless mechanic from a game design point of view.

Either way get hyped for faster aerials!

Last edited:

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
The thing is with the exceptions of Palutena's and the Mii Fighters', the custom moves are supposed to be fairly similar (at least animation-wise because I know Kirby's ice breath is very different) to the default moves... so judging only by the trailer and nothing else that would likely make Lucina a clone.
Reposting

Ugh, maybe theyre showing us a fake moveset for lucina just to trick us into thinking she's a clone? Since samurai doesnt want any more clones... And what if chrom and robin shared the same final smash? Maybe he's still not deconfirmef... A bit too optimistic here

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
l-cancelling is still really, really arbitrary and if it comes back I hope they make the dynamic a bit more exciting than "this input is required at all times unless you want everything you do in the air to be punishable"

Last edited:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Nintendo confirmed Chrom is not a playable character according to IGN (who had to apply corrections to the news post), unfortunately.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Auto cancel means Fox and Falco get free SHFFLs all day. I'm glad we have L canceling.

Fortress

Smash Master
l-cancelling is still really, really arbitrary and if it comes back I hope they make the dynamic a bit more exciting than "this input is required at all times unless you want everything you do in the air to be punishable"
Agreed. I'd love it if ALL aerials just had some similar amount of landing lag, ala SF series.

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Given that Smash 4 keeps non-JC shine and kick shine, does this really matter?
I was refering to PM, I know Fox is pretty terrible in Smash 4 anyway. You can have autocancel, but then you can't have fast rushdown characters like Melee Fox and Falco.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
...yes you can? just have the normal landing lag be as fast as the l-cancel landing lag

what, do you think that the lack of it will just magically make all aerials never go fast again?

Last edited:

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
No, I just think it pretty much makes them objectively better since the execution barrier is much lower.
As it stands, they're better than most characters, but not by an insurmountable amount, which means the payout from the time invested in mastering them isn't disproportionate to the abilities of other characters given much shorter learning periods. No other character is as dependent on SHFFL-ing, and removing that essentially removes one of the biggest, if not the biggest technical barrier in playing Fox/Falco, at which point you get incredible results for the same effort as anybody else.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
by that point, I would continue to repeat what I seemingly repeat like every other week and point out that skill floors are only a drawback to a character when you're a bad player, and that if that's the only true weakness spacies have then there's a problem here

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
by that point, I would continue to repeat what I seemingly repeat like every other week and point out that skill floors are only a drawback to a character when you're a bad player, and that if that's the only true weakness spacies have then there's a problem here
Yes, in 20xx, everybody's playing fox etc but in reality that doesn't happen. Melee is over 13 years old, and in the biggest Melee tournament ever this weekend we only saw 2 foxes and 2 falcos in top 8 where there was a Peach, a Young Link, a Jigglypuff, two Marths, a Sheik, one ICs and a Pikachu of all things, and while Mango won, SW "only" took 7th. PP's falco/Marth took 3rd and Hbox's Falco/Fox aren't even worth mentioning. After 13 years, if that doesn't say anything about how the technical barrier affects their performance or encourage character diversity, I'm not sure what it'll take.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
Yes, in 20xx, everybody's playing fox etc but in reality that doesn't happen. Melee is over 13 years old, and in the biggest Melee tournament ever this weekend we only saw 2 foxes and 2 falcos in top 8 where there was a Peach, a Young Link, a Jigglypuff, two Marths, a Sheik, one ICs and a Pikachu of all things, and while Mango won, SW "only" took 7th. PP's falco/Marth took 3rd and Hbox's Falco/Fox aren't even worth mentioning. After 13 years, if that doesn't say anything about how the technical barrier affects their performance or encourage character diversity, I'm not sure what it'll take.
"only saw 2 foxes and 2 falcos"

oh, you know, of the eight best in this massive tournament, only half of them either mained these two characters, or had them as a pocket, because their strengths are even agreed on by players who play other characters

spacies are the best in the game. this is universally agreed on, and the gap between them and third place is only going to get larger, because their skill ceilings are better than anyone else, and if you care about winning, you don't care about their skill floors, simple as.

armada needs a counterpick, because peach has bad matchups. m2k needs a counterpick, because sheik has bad matchups. fly needs a counterpick, because ICs has bad matchups. mango just needs spacies, because space animals do not have a single bad matchup, and they go 5-5 at worst.

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
People always seem to ignore the fact that lesser known characters you haven't practiced against in forever are going to get some victories in because nobody prepares enough against them.

If Pikachu and Yoshi and Young Link were suddenly the best counterpick characters for some weird reason, everyone would just level up their game with a top tier against them and utterly destroy them next time around.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I finally caught up on this thread after I was gone for Evo

and I come back in the middle of more spacie talk >.> just going to ignore it lol

Evo was amazing. I can't even describe it, one of the greatest weekends of my life. Played a lot of PM with @metroid1117 , learned a ton about the Ike MU, I wish there was an ike main here in az so I could learn more about it. Metroid is one of the nicest smasher I've played with, and really good lol. Thanks for helping Zman so much with the PM bracket

Also, AZ HYPE:

Repped the CatBug Beanie all weekend. No regerts.

Top Bottom