• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Professor Gravy

I've got a PhD in delicious
Actually witch craft works was one of the first animes that I watched and I could see how some people would like it but its not my cup of tea. The most of the villains were idiots and the main characters felt very stagnant to me. I'm a bigger fan of clever villains and character development is my favorite thing about stories period so it really didn't cater to my opinion of what a good story is.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
...Argh.

Prove that these are not inherently biased preconceived notions/that you two are not complaining about shows you don't watch, please.
Objective citation needed.
I've seen Transformers, and I thought it was a messy film with mostly unlikeable characters, bad writing, and goofy looking re-designs. I'm sure there are some things to enjoy for fans of the original films, but they're not really....good movies. The TMNT Reboot has his fingerprints all over it and it does not look good at all, from the turtle designs, which I'm stated aren't pleasant to look at, the dialogue didn't impress, the look of the Foot Clan to be some sort of swat team (WTF? That's not Ninja like at all).

I'm a fan of TMNT in general and as a fan of it, this movie looks to be as much of a disservice to it as the third TMNT film was. Sure, the fourth was eh, but I consider that partially saved by that enjoyable rooftop battle in the rain (you know the one). The plot to that at least has more to do with TMNT than the third, though it does seem to be more connected to the cartoons of the time than the films in general (What with Karai being in it).

I'm calling it as I see it and so far, Michael Bay has never given me a good reason not to doubt anything he's had any part in. Maybe I'll be blown away, but I don't see it happening. I could be wrong, as I thought the Nick TMNT show looked stupid at first, but now I love it. So maybe. I still doubt it.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Sonic the Hedgehog games are decent at best. I know everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I'll never understand why so many people actually thought Sonic games were comparable to Mario games at the time.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Have you played S3&K as one game? It's pretty dang good.

The rest? Meh. Sonic 2 was pretty good for the time, but I don't think it has aged nearly as well.

And of course, everything after that has aged pretty terribly. Even if I do have some fun playing Sonic Adventure 2 Battle still.

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
I dont like Sonic games both because they are un-fun for me, and...well.. its a ****ing Hedgehog people. all he can really do is run fast and people act like hes the coolest thing since sliced bread.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Except when you have too much of it. Some people on these boards are so objective seeing them post is soooo boring and bland.(in general, not just here)
That's what I am, and more often than not I get mad likes for some of my posts.
Fine balance!

Actually witch craft works was one of the first animes that I watched and I could see how some people would like it but its not my cup of tea. The most of the villains were idiots and the main characters felt very stagnant to me. I'm a bigger fan of clever villains and character development is my favorite thing about stories period so it really didn't cater to my opinion of what a good story is.
All fine points.
Still, not everyone can be a magnificent b astard(this censoring is getting silly), and not all characters NEED to develop.

I've seen Transformers, and I thought it was a messy film with mostly unlikeable characters, bad writing, and goofy looking re-designs. I'm sure there are some things to enjoy for fans of the original films, but they're not really....good movies.
Fair enough. They aren't perfect.
Still, you are accentuating the negative to comical, if still reasonable, extremes.

Cynicism only works if you have a basis for being that way. Take it from someone who's tried it.
It usually doesn't.

Skepticism is always good to have at a basic level, though(only at first!)

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Fair enough. They aren't perfect.
Still, you are accentuating the negative to comical, if still reasonable, extremes.

Cynicism only works if you have a basis for being that way. Take it from someone who's tried it.
It usually doesn't.

Skepticism is always good to have at a basic level, though(only at first!)
I'm quite skeptical, yet in cases where I have come to experience no enjoyment overall (Michael Bay films as an example, my expectations are very very low), I come to be quite cynical. I try to give everything a try, but when it comes to people that constantly disappoint, there's nothing to be, but cynical.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
TMNT is like Sonic The Hedgehog; it's never been good
I dunno, that one arch in that one spin off cartoon where they were in a space fighting club/wrestling federation was pretty sick. I distinctly remember timetraveling and suplexing aliens in that arch as well. Pretty metal.

I tried to make the obligatory PIZZA TIME video reference but the guy who made it closed his account :(

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
I'm quite skeptical, yet in cases where I have come to experience no enjoyment overall (Michael Bay films as an example, my expectations are very very low), I come to be quite cynical. I try to give everything a try, but when it comes to people that constantly disappoint, there's nothing to be, but cynical.
Well, yes. That is all a given. You know how it goes.
Still... you must see pretty crappy people and no better if they never try to change their failings for the better, or at least, for other people than themselves.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Well, yes. That is all a given. You know how it goes.
Still... you must see pretty crappy people and no better if they never try to change their failings for the better, or at least, for other people than themselves.
I'm a little confused as to how you went from crappy movies to people. I usually give people a lot more benefit of the doubt , compared to entertainment/games.

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure he's talking about how expectations for media products are largely influenced by the product's creators. Like, seeing Michael Bay's name attached to any given film is a sign that the film will probably have zero substance.

EDIT: actually, I can't tell what he's saying. never mind

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I'm pretty sure he's talking about how expectations for media products are largely influenced by the product's creators. Like, seeing Michael Bay's name attached to any given film is a sign that the film will probably have zero substance.
Ah, that makes sense. In Michael Bay's case, usually the stuff he touches doesn't appeal to me. It goes no further than that, though I would like to punch Seth Macfarlane in that ****-eating grin of his whenever I see him do something....even if it's something good.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Sonic the Hedgehog games are decent at best. I know everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I'll never understand why so many people actually thought Sonic games were comparable to Mario games at the time.
Back then, Sonic's games were every bit as important as Mario's, and he stood as the second most recognizable video game character for years.

For me though, I've always been a Mario guy. Mario 3 and Mario World just crap all over Sonic 3&K.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Nah, you got it right.

I did say preconceived notions are stupid, and you all know how people have them about movies, but Bay has them biased against him, even if he DOES do a good movie.
For instance, Age of Extinction's only real problem so far is the length(it's a bit over 2 hours, IIRC) based on early impressions, and critics don't count because they are all shills(someone try to argue this, please. It's factual. Would like to see that.)

I think people have run out of actual complaints because he learned his lesson, lol.

People just like railing against things they don't like, even if those things are good things by nature.
Opinions are largely subject to Sturgeon's law.
That is, 90% of everything is crud.

Relevant:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PublicMediumIgnorance
Basically, people are expecting the wrong things, never learn what's better, and want instant gratification every single time, with some exceptions(like me, because I've known almost from day 1 that if you let something grow instead of finishing right away, it'll be more than if you just ended it early.)

tl;dr People want too much, and want none of the actual quality stuff.

this thread is amazing i've got 61 posts and 90 likes and all of my posts are turible.
Self-depreciation is a good way to get them!

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Nah, you got it right.

I did say preconceived notions are stupid, and you all know how people have them about movies, but Bay has them biased against him, even if he DOES do a good movie.
For instance, Age of Extinction's only real problem so far is the length(it's a bit over 2 hours, IIRC) based on early impressions, and critics don't count because they are all shills(someone try to argue this, please. It's factual. Would like to see that.)

I think people have run out of actual complaints because he learned his lesson, lol.

People just like railing against things they don't like, even if those things are good things by nature.
Opinions are largely subject to Sturgeon's law.
That is, 90% of everything is crud.

Relevant:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PublicMediumIgnorance
Basically, people are expecting the wrong things, never learn what's better, and want instant gratification every single time, with some exceptions(like me, because I've known almost from day 1 that if you let something grow instead of finishing right away, it'll be more than if you just ended it early.)

tl;dr People want too much, and want none of the actual quality stuff.
The Michael Bay Transformers films were all essentially the same movie though. So it's not expecting bad things, it's experiencing bad things.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I never understand the aging concept of games and what not.

Its all 2deep4me

S&K3 was great and I'd still play it if my wii could read my damn sonic collection disk. still fun to play, and the stages are great.
I've got problems with getting all the super emeralds again though. **** was ridiculous.

Sonic adventure 2 battle is still glorious to me as well. Other than the camera at times.
Other than that, It's still up there for enjoyable games. Still haven't gotten S ranks in all the missions though...

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Smashing Grounds got 90 entrants last night x_x Which broke our previous record of 70 that we got last week.

We have a facebook group for it and as of now there are 170 members. So theoretically there's even more room for growth this summer. As fun as it is having so many people, the venue is kinda small which means it gets hot quick, there's not much oxygen to go around, and running the event is a nightmare @_@

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
I know that its been said and mentioned a lot, plus im late... but- LET IT GOOO

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
The Michael Bay Transformers films were all essentially the same movie though. So it's not expecting bad things, it's experiencing bad things.
"Bad" is inherently meaningless as a word nowadays, but I won't argue this.
To each their own.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
opinions are boring

that would also be an opinion, and ergo is boring

shut up and talk about the fact that plup's meta knight is your future and you should kneel before him

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Ofcourse there will be an announcement, maybe at the end of the tourney (not watching the stream, and never will)

Top Bottom