• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Wow I can't imagine playing a character without frame data thread. I'm already upset when I'm learning a matchup against a character without frame data thread.
And then I saw Chillindude asking what IASA stands for and was like... wow
Guess its dependent on the person how important frame data is

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
So basically Black Shadow Dorf is actually a really good idea? Heh. Does Ganondorf ever fight with a sword, or is that just his weaponfu?

Last edited:

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
When one of you guys makes a version os Smash thats canonically correct, Fun and diverse, AND well balanced, let me know :p

Things like Tinks taunt that has a wind effect, Falcons taunting sweetspot knee, the alt costumes, Mewtwos "cry" as his taunt. They didnt HAVE to do those things, they did it purely as fan service.

the PMBR have wayy outdone themselves in 3.0+. It is arguably the best smash iteration to date. They may not be official game developers, but they understand fully that pleasing everyone is nigh impossible, so they do the best they can for all types of Smash fans.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Okay I give up I've been trying to sleep for the past two hours but apparently it's not gonna happen
Who'da thunk if you smash all day, you'd think about it all night
Time for leftover enchiladas, mtn dew, and theorycrafting lab fun time

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Ike.
Bowser.
Ganondorf himself.

They're all slow, heavy, fast-falling, and hard-hitting characters with plenty of range on their attacks.
I meant ranged. As in projectile based. Current Wizzy Ganon's got a lot of magical/electric disjoints/psuedo-projectiles, and I think that that's cool. I'm saying the game seems to have a lot of Rushdown or Bait & Punish characters, but not too many mages. Atm, wizzy mode actually sort of reminds me of ZSS, tbh, but I can imagine it, sort of.

I'm probably just sort of projecting my mental image of Ganon from ALttP, but I think it could work.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
How the **** does "mage" even fit in as a character archetype among "rushdown" and "bait and punish"
That's just nonsensical to me, one describes aesthetics of the moveset, the other two describe functional properties of movesets
There, now you have something to think about at work

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
My avatar wants to examine your insides.
Naisou. Vocaloids in mai innards.

How the **** does "mage" even fit in as a character archetype among "rushdown" and "bait and punish"
That's just nonsensical to me, one describes aesthetics of the moveset, the other two describe functional properties of movesets
There, now you have something to think about at work
I can't really think of a name for it, so I labelled it mage. Ranger might work? I just mean a character who's shtick is spacing, with a moveset which emphasizes spacing your opponent as far away as possible. Not projectiles to approach or gimp, but to kill. Think Marffff, but projectiles. A good way to put it would probably be aggressively campy? I'm imagining something like Zelda, but without any good mid or close range options. I'm not perfectly versed with the full cast, but I feel like we don't really have any characters like that. The closest character I can think of is Samus, but even she has better kill options if she gets close to you.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Wow I can't imagine playing a character without frame data thread. I'm already upset when I'm learning a matchup against a character without frame data thread.
And then I saw Chillindude asking what IASA stands for and was like... wow
Guess its dependent on the person how important frame data is
Frame data isn't even that useful for Smash compared to other fighters to be honest. It's nice to have, but it's nothing worth obsessing over like in something like SF. I just look at hitboxes and invincibility frames.

i would think samus kind of falls into the "non-canon abilities" boat as well, since shes not nearly as fast or as agile in smash as she is in the games (im not including other m for...reasons)

if samus were portrayed properly, i would think she would be similar to zss in speed and mobility instead
Samus is very floaty in the original Metroid and Super Metroid, which most of the Smash games use as reference. Samus being super agile in the suit is a fairly recent thing, and making her fall faster now would just be weird when she's been floaty for 3 games now. Even Zero Mission and Fusion feel so weird to replay for me because Samus falls so damn fast.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Frame data isn't even that useful for Smash compared to other fighters if we're being quite honest. Nothing worth obsessing over at least. I just look at hitboxes and invincibility frames.
But that is frame data
Not to say it's important In the sense that you can't see success without it, but I feel it's definitely one of those things that can help push your game those extra few inches. Not in terms of actively using it in game, but more for figuring out before hand what your best options are.

Last edited:

turtletank

Smash Journeyman
Literally Project Anime. I'd report this as a bug but it's too damn funny.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
But that is frame data
Not to say it's important In the sense that you can't see success without it, but I feel it's definitely one of those things that can help push your game those extra few inches. Not in terms of actively using it in game, but more for figuring out before hand what your best options are.
Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have handy, I just don't find it that useful to the point where I'll return to it constantly. In any other fighter, learning what your fastest and safest moves are, what special properties they have on counter hit, and so on is pretty much paramount at even mid level play.

In Smash it's like, I don't really need something telling me how good Fox's up-smash is, I just know it is the moment it kills me at 80%.

Last edited:

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
Put Ganon's moveset on a new character, Black Shadow from F-Zero.

Combine aspects of Sword and Magic Ganon to make Ganon.

That'd be so sweet.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Watch, like, and sub for ya homie

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
It's kinda irrelevant who the new character is, just that there is one, and that the character brings something new to the table. The particular skin of the character doesn't really matter all that much, tbh, since people are going to reskin it anyways. Personally, I think it would be cool to accomplish this and placate years of mildly legitimate complaints in a single stroke. I'm not gonna argue the point, cuz hey, if people disagree that's cool.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
TIS y
I spoilered
I'll add not smashbro related content on it
Even tho we talk about a lot of non smash related content in this thread
DONT BECOME THE FUN KILLER BAKA

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
What did he change..?
SOMEONE GIVE ME THE ANSWERS I SEEK, GIVE ME THE POWER TO UNDERSTAND!!

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542

Kati

Smash Lord
Frame data isn't even that useful for Smash compared to other fighters to be honest. It's nice to have, but it's nothing worth obsessing over like in something like SF. I just look at hitboxes and invincibility frames.

Samus is very floaty in the original Metroid and Super Metroid, which most of the Smash games use as reference. Samus being super agile in the suit is a fairly recent thing, and making her fall faster now would just be weird when she's been floaty for 3 games now. Even Zero Mission and Fusion feel so weird to replay for me because Samus falls so damn fast.

Mp1 explained the variability in gravity. Zebes is a small planet. Samus still manages to run fast and wall jump in SM, so agility isn't all that recent.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
It really depends what type of player you are. Take me as example, I am a labmonster, calculating through guessing situations and counting frames etc... This makes up for much because there is not that much PM scene around and I can't get my learning effect completely by experience therefore (it also is because I also was that kind of science/math-type person, you know...) Frame data helps you to learn things without needing to fall for it once. It can't make up for muscle memory but for strategy/mindgame factors if applied correctly.
Also from my chess background strategical preparation is something I am very used too. PM metagame is not nearly as developed as chess and you can see some parallels. Also it is not so deep and while I could only calculate a few moves in the opening without board and lets say with a book, I could "learn" a matchup (or at least prepare a little) by only having the data and thinking about it.
You see experience-type players having to lose over and over to the same person to be finally able to beat them. Then there are preparation-type players (like Armada) who can come back from one game because they already dealt with the decisions/ issues the other player is setting up in their preparation. Of course using frame data too much is even worse than just learning from losses if not applied correctly. You have to think about all options and you have to be consequent in dealing with every topic in the matchup.

Summed up, frame data is actually awesome but you need to apply it more carefully in Smash

Top Bottom