• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

hotdogturtle

Smash Master

Always make the best of your situations~

POOB is real 2014. Coming soon to a finals near you.

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx
So I entered my first tournament in over 8 years since Nintendo's melee tournament in nintendo world Nyc. Although it was just a netplay tourney, it feels good to be back

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
who here plays Dota2? Could any of you guys tell me if it is demanding? as in i shouldn't even try to play it bc my laptop can't handle it?

also, what is better about it compared to LoL
Imo, everything in Dota 2 is better than LoL. More mechanics to use, more strategy required as I find that battles happen a lot faster. The game punishes you very severely if you aren't careful enough. Not to mention all heroes are available from the get go. The game overall is more polished, which is no surprise, considering the company behind its development.

According to me and others I know, the LoL-Dota situation is similar to Brawl-Melee. Fundamentally the same, yet so different. The common consensus is that the learning curve of Dota is much more steeper than LoL, and that the Dota community can really be asses compared to the LoL community. One thing that particularly irks me about LoL is the fact that the map is so static and basic. The forests in Dota 2 can be cut allowing for elaborate gank plans, there are elevations that offer some interesting changes (farther vision, easier to miss if fighting uphill, etc.), and the runes that can be found on the river offer some neat perks. Also, the tall grasses in LoL are really stupid, I find, along with the ability to teleport back to base with no needed items.

I myself had started getting into the game a few months ago but couldn't continue because of college, so my personal bias is obviously leaking in this post. But even when I try to consider stuff objectively, it just looks like Dota 2 is better in every regard. But of course, it all depends on your priorities. Trying both games is the best solution. Just stick with the one you prefer.

As for being demanding, it doesn't need much. My ****ty 2010 computer with its ****ty integrated graphics card (note: I can't run PM on Dolphin) can run Dota on medium settings pretty smoothly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just played a match as Roy, but replaced his model with Marth's. It's actually quite funny to see Marth doing some of Roy's motions, especially his down taunt.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
Imo, everything in Dota 2 is better than LoL. More mechanics to use, more strategy required as I find that battles happen a lot faster. The game punishes you very severely if you aren't careful enough. Not to mention all heroes are available from the get go. The game overall is more polished, which is no surprise, considering the company behind its development.

According to me and others I know, the LoL-Dota situation is similar to Brawl-Melee. Fundamentally the same, yet so different. The common consensus is that the learning curve of Dota is much more steeper than LoL, and that the Dota community can really be ***** compared to the LoL community. One thing that particularly irks me about LoL is the fact that the map is so static and basic. The forests in Dota 2 can be cut allowing for elaborate gank plans, there are elevations that offer some interesting changes (farther vision, easier to miss if fighting uphill, etc.), and the runes that can be found on the river offer some neat perks. Also, the tall grasses in LoL are really stupid, I find, along with the ability to teleport back to base with no needed items.

I myself had started getting into the game a few months ago but couldn't continue because of college, so by personal bias is obviously leaking in this post. But even when I try to consider stuff objectively, it just looks like Dota 2 is better in every regard. But of course, it all depends on your priorities. Trying both games is the best solution. Just stick with the one you prefer.

As for being demanding, it doesn't need much. My ****ty 2010 computer with its ****ty integrated graphics card (note: I can't run PM on Dolphin) can run Dota on medium settings pretty smoothly.
this is what i have seen and thought as well, i've just never had the chance to try Dota, while i have played LoL quite a few times and i usually fall asleep bc of how boring it is

welp, that settles it, gonna play Dota2 SON

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Sethlon making Roy look top tier right now. There's no way I could believe someone saying Roy needs a better recovery after this weekend.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Sethlon came from losers, reset bracket and took it to Game 5

Pit's on that fast track to getting nerfed LOL

Last edited:

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Sethlon losing to dthrow fair over and over after all the stuff he pulled is pretty frustrating.

Man, MLG chat is a huge circlejerk. I wish I were on twitch.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Sethlon got bopped by Zero WTF? I didn't watch cause I've been watching NWMVI and UMVC so yeah but that's crazy.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I wouldn't call winning Set 1, then taking Set 2 to Game 5 getting "bopped". You're banned from saying anything, ever

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I got about an hour I think to still register for UFGT normal price, think I'ma not do it and just spectate which is what one of my friends plans on doing.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Don't be a poon. Go register and play and win gold coins

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Fun fact, this is one of the most common misuses of a phrase. A learning curve is knowledge over time. A steep curve means a game is easy to learn

:substitute:
I think what I meant to say was fairly obvious. I didn't know that, however, I'll make sure to use the expression correctly in the future, to avoid the wrath of other Warchamps.

But for your sake, let me rephrase that: Dota 2 is a much harder game to get into than LoL. An average Dota 2 player will do good in LoL too. An average LoL player will suck at Dota 2.

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
So I look away for a bit and Mango is 2-0 against Hax?

Sure is a change of pace from the 3-1 defeat he took just half an hour before.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I've been too busy watching K9 and SS tear up SSS, whats been going on with Whobo and NWM?

Kati

Smash Lord
Technical question: would this stage cause desynchronization?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/unnncaka9db1w9c/Lylat+Cruise.rar

It uses a rel file to give Lylat Cruise a static background. When using it, stgstarfox_asteroid, battleship, corneria, and space don't load.

I want to assume it is okay to use this stage, but I am making a tournament build for my scene and don't want to cause issues.

Top Bottom