• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
These are very exciting times in the Smash Bros world
Unless your trying to bring back Brawl then it's hell, Otherwise I agree. If anyone here pay attention to the State OF Brawl Podcast and Facebook group then you will understand why.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
Unless your trying to bring back Brawl then it's hell, Otherwise I agree. If anyone here pay attention to the State OF Brawl Podcast and Facebook group then you will understand why.
looking at the situation is just kind of depressing. when your "backbone" unanimously gives up in favor of just going back to melee or PM, that's a pretty horrible backbone and maybe is indicative of what your best players were playing your game for

y'all need a prog for brawl. I vote the guy who just trashtalked most of brawl's community last podcast

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
looking at the situation is just kind of depressing. when your "backbone" unanimously gives up in favor of just going back to melee or PM, that's a pretty horrible backbone and maybe is indicative of what your best players were playing your game for

y'all need a prog for brawl. I vote the guy who just trashtalked most of brawl's community last podcast
If you were referring to the guy who blasted the scene and talked about the image of the players then that was Sky he used to be a top player but then went to League Of Legends and became popular and such from that and has a big fanbase from what I heard also he was on Shofu's Diggersby though video a while back. I feel like the freeSSBB movement wasn't gonna work anyway cause of conflicting ego's and the negative stigma brawl had over the years which hurt it in the long run. I know if smash 4 is gonna succeed then then Brawl vs Melee stuff must not happen again to those levels of degree and needs leaders and such also we must not be afraid of banning characters and need actual leaders from the get go and get the train moving instead of relying on handouts.

EDIT: In other news to get a laugh in your system for the Sunday.

Last edited:

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
If you were referring to the guy who blasted the scene and talked about the image of the players then that was Sky he used to be a top player but then went to League Of Legends and became popular and such from that and has a big fanbase from what I heard also he was on Shofu's Diggersby though video a while back. I feel like the freeSSBB movement wasn't gonna work anyway cause of conflicting ego's and the negative stigma brawl had over the years which hurt it in the long run. I know if smash 4 is gonna succeed then then Brawl vs Melee stuff must not happen again to those levels of degree and needs leaders and such also we must not be afraid of banning characters and need actual leaders from the get go and get the train moving instead of relying on handouts.

EDIT: In other news to get a laugh in your system for the Sunday.

Oh god yes. Been waiting for episode 41
And watching Amsa play.... is like magic omg. And the fact that he's playing Ryu Lucario.... ahhhhh <3

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
This game needs to be a thing pronto.
It's a demo..... but I really hope they continue to work on it.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Maaaaan
I really wish they held weeklies where I lived
or rather, that I lived in a big city where weeklies were held
there's nothing more pleasing that practicing all week and seeing my hard work pay off

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
i've basically given up on making a scene here actually. i started a smash club at my university a year ago and got a gaming venue here to have pm/melee every friday since like 2 months ago. however, i still only have 1 new player over the course of a year. the turn out for the club meetings and venue smashfests generally average like 0-2 to people. :( eau claire is just really bad for a scene

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I'm glad I live in a metropolitan area with a large scene.

I still suck though, so it's kind of irrelevant.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
We get 45+ people for our free weekly melee bracket every friday night. We would have had 50 if we waited an hour for more people to show up. Like 5-8 new faces a week. AZ is really blowing up, 2 months ago we went crazy when we broke 25. Most of the new people play PM too, its great.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Guess Ali Baba would have to hit up Apex and hope aMSa is there as well so he can put his money where his mouth is.

TechMage299

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TechMage299
3DS FC
3497-1921-5527
if anyone wants to wifi battle before nintendo kills us all with their armageddon, here's my code for PM: 1032-4592-5632

TreK

Is "that guy"
Oh hello.
I'm currently writing an article for a French Melee community blog about the differences between Melee and PM to aid people in their audience in picking up PM without feeling like the differences are infidelities, but rather new stuff to explore, except for the things that have yet to be fixed.
Any help would be appreciated, because I plan on being exhaustive. Currently, here's what I plan on tackling. I think I especially need help with II.2) and III since I don't play Melee myself.

I - ATs : platform cancel, b reversal/wavebounce, dacus and gatling combo, rar, glide tossing and all its variations
II - Mechanics :
II.1)New ones : crawling/ctilt, gliding/gair, pivot grab, wall clinging, PM tether mechanics, footstooling, button mapping, colored armor
II.2)Altered ones : zairs have no landing lag anymore, ledge rolls free the ledge much sooner, ledge jumps have very little cooldown, no light shielding, no isai dropping (I think that's the name ?), 1 frame delay on jump squat, no double shoulder button presses
III - Differences to the Melee top tiers (besides global changes) : everyone's based on the NTSC versions, the spacies' lasers deal less damage with distance, the spacies' shines are not invincible on frame 1, CF's aerial down B has a landing hitbox
IV - The counterpicking system : is there even a standard ? I'm going with the rule we use in France anyway, which is bottom row starters, middle row CPs, YS banned in doubles, Dracs and Distant Planet doubles only, 3 bans, DSR and stage striking is either 2-3-1 or 1-1-1-1-1-1 depending on the TO.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
@ TreK TreK , be sure to include differences in how the game registers controller input, it'll help squash some potential frustration for players to know why they are making technical mistakes.
Like:
L/R are not registered as separate shield buttons, so you must partially release one in order for a full press to register again on the other.
The control stick is more sensitive, so dashes/fast falls come out slightly earlier if you use a melee timing. Tilts are also slightly tougher.
C-stick will only register once before being returned to neutral. IE spinning stick in circles would only register one smash, then would do nothing afterwards.

corrections in red
II.2)Altered ones : zairs have no landing lag anymore, they have the same ten frame landing lag as in Melee. ledge rolls free the ledge much sooner, ledge jumps have very little cooldown, no light shielding, no isai dropping (I think that's the name ?), If you're referring to dropping through a platform while your shield is up, yes, that is in game. Or walking->platform drop, that's in too. 1 frame delay on jump squat, No quite; all changes to momentum happen one frame later than they should. Animations, hitboxes, collisions, etc all happen on the correct frames, but momentum changes happen a frame late. It will make your SH arrive in the same places as Melee delayed by one frame, but you can still act on the same frame after jumpsquat as you can in Melee. This also makes wavedashes take a frame longer since your airdodge back down to the ground happens on the second frame airborne instead of the first. no double shoulder button presses technically you can, if you want them to register different things, like light press than full press, but not if you want them to register the same thing.

TreK

Is "that guy"
thanks, that will help a lot :3
Isai drop is the name I remember for dash->shield->shield drop by moving the stick from forward to forward+down.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
The Isai drop is canceling the forced landing animation on a platform by walking/dashing slightly and falling through the platform. Its in the game too, but like shield dropping the window for the controller to be positioned is different.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Okay :V
what about the differences to the melee top tiers ? I know I forgot about Sheik's reworked grab game, what else is there ?

metroid1117

Smash Master
III - Differences to the Melee top tiers (besides global changes) : everyone's based on the NTSC versions, the spacies' lasers deal less damage with distance, the spacies' shines are not invincible on frame 1, CF's aerial down B has a landing hitbox
Falco - Has a DACUS due to how the mechanics work.

Sheik - DThrow angle is somewhere in-between NTSC and PAL, BThrow angle is raised from NTSC/PAL, and both throws have reduced start-up to act as a DI mix-up. Up+B hitbox has Brawl knockback, making it stronger than Melee. Transformation to Zelda and transformation from Zelda has very little lag, promoting usage of Zelda and Sheik together.

Marth - USmash hitboxes have been repositioned so that it's slightly easier to tip opponents and he can DACUS. He also has less landing lag on DAir.

Falcon - Side+B can grab the edge and he "bounces" off opponents when used in the air, similar to Brawl. His edgegrab hitbox on up+B has been re-positioned so that he can sweetspot. He can also shout "Yes!" when the up-taunt is pressed during the hitlag of a strong knee. Lastly, he can change directions mid-Falcon punch like in Brawl or change up directions repeatedly by doing a "dash dance" input.

Peach - Side+B and FSmash both have increased knockback and side+B goes slightly farther. Jab and UTilt use Brawl animations, giving them slightly more range compared to Melee.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Peaches D-smash also does less % per hit now, to compensate on the fact that multi-hits don't stale immediately.

Top Bottom