• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
http://www.youtube.com/user/nonstandardtoaster

Uploading matches from APEX now. I'll have some more sets up later after I finish splitting them. I need major help identifying people I don't know.

This is what I'll have by the time everything is done:

Pool 8 KDJ vs Strong Bad

Pool 5 Roy (DK) vs Laijin (Sheik)

Pool 5 ??? (Bowser, Charizard) vs Roy (DK) - game 1 ps2, game 2 smashville

Pool 14 ??? (Jiggs) vs Vanguard (Lucario)
Pool 14 ??? (Mario) vs Egman (Snake) - game 1 dreamland, game 2 PS2, game 3 YI:B

Pool ?? ??? (Diddy) G2 tag vs ??? (Mario, Pit) - game 1 FD, game 2 smashville 0:00 - 7:05
Pool ?? ??? (Squirtle) vs ??? (Squirtle) - game 1 GHZ, game 2 PS2 9:30-17:15
Pool ?? ??? (Snake) vs ??? (Jiggs) - game 1 smashville, game 2 smashville 36:38-46:00
Pool ?? ??? (Snake) vs ??? (Wario) JREED tag - game 1 smashville, game 2 FoD, game 3 lylat 46:40-1:00:25

Pool/Friendly? ?? ??? (Sheik, Marth) vs Flock? (Lucas) - game 1 BF, game 2 smashville, game 3 smashville 28:40-42:30
Pool/Friendly? ?? ??? (Falco, Sonic) CJA! tag vs Leelue (Ganon) - game 1 PS2, game 2 smashville 1:18:55-1:25:50
Pool/Friendly? ?? Nakat (Fox) vs ??? (Link) - game 1 BF, game 2 YS 1:27:00-1:33:08
Friendly Nakat (Fox, Jiggs) vs Leelue (Ganon) - game 1 BF, 1:34:00-1:42:00
Friendly Nakat (Fox) vs ??? (Sheik, Mario) - game 1 BF, game 2 dreamland 1:42:50-1:48:30
Friendly Rolex (Snake) vs Swami (Sheik) - 2:19:25-2:30:44

Pool 32 Zeton (Fox) vs Monk (Samus)

Pool 32 Riako (Ivy) vs CT Xzax (Zelda)

Pool 32 ?? (Squirtle) vs CT Xzax (Zelda) 0:00-8:32
Pool 32 Wolf (Grn Link) vs Wes (Wht Link) 42:00-end

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I just stick to Magic, and in specific Legacy.
Legacy as a format is diverse enough that for the most part it's self regulating; broken things absolutely exist in the format, but with 20 years of printings the cardpool is so massive that answers to almost everything exist. To be honest, it's the feeling of raw power that really makes the format for me.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
This card is perfectly fair and balanced. Killing every evolving basic pokemon on turn two and killing everything else even faster with trainer ramp is healthy for the game. Paying 40 dollars a card is to be expected. After all, all the fun of trading card games is paying $160 for a playset of cards to win.
MFW using broken cards against other players.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Trading card games are flawed by design. They're pay-to-win, and beyond that it's all about bluffing or getting lucky. May as well just play poker.
Magic: The Gathering gets away with a very, very slow powercreep. 2 mana for a 2 power / 2 toughness creature with no abilities at common was the norm in the very first release of the game, and it's still the case now. The creep is more noticeable with 1- and 3- mana creatures, and with higher rarity cards, but the game was originally and is still very much designed for a draft format, where the fee of three boosters gives you the chance to put your creativity and deck building skills to the test against other people drafting from the same cardpool as you. Some uncommons and commons are better to grab right away than rares in the draft, since the format is inherently more balanced with no "pay top dollar for rares" infesting the format.

Mythics were literally just made to make more money in the secondary market though.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Yes but how good is it at playing chess? This is the chess discussion thread.

Also this is some ol' bull****.

"Powercreep is good for the game" my ***.
That's not even OP, It's first move functions as a EX Mewtwo X-Ball without multiplication. It's second move is a worse version of Virizions Emerald Slash.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
That's not even OP, It's first move functions as a EX Mewtwo X-Ball without multiplication. It's second move is a worse version of Virizions Emerald Slash.
This is exactly the kind of response I was looking for. A 170 basic with an attack that kills every non-evolved non-ex mon on turn two "isn't even OP." This is exactly what powercreep refers to. This thing would have been banned without even a first thought no more than five years ago, let alone in the base set.

And the first attack is substantially better than X-Ball. 20 + 20x is better than 20x. The only draw back is it requires a color investment in its attack cost.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Have you gotten donked before in TCG? It was a common thing, However since the MOST POPULAR DECK atm is a Deck that doesn't even run any stage pokemons, This shouldn't be a problem.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Magic's power creep is unique in that creatures are only now just starting to catch up to spells.
It's interesting to look at the oldest formats, Legacy and Vintage, where you have access to the entire cardpool. The spells these decks play in almost all cases are from older sets, whereas the creatures are almost all relatively recent printings.
All of the most broken cards in MtG history though will forever be from the old sets with very few exceptions. Creature powercreep continues to grow, but it's pretty clear that WotC quickly learns from mistakes. You will never see something along the powerlevel of Yawgmoth's Will, Ancestral Recall, Wheel of Fortune, Necropotence, etc. ever printed again. These cards were printed in the game's infancy for the most part, and then we saw a change in development. For one, WotC learned from their own mistakes when it came to printing such absurd cards, but I think more than that it's that they started to design sets with Limited play in mind. Basically, they started to design sets in a similar way to what we see today with draft, sealed, and block play in mind. Limited involves creature combat moreso than any other format so the progression of creatures and the powercreep we see in them is only natural. Powercreep keeps things interesting for old players and flashy cards attract new players.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Have you gotten donked before in TCG? It was a common thing, However since the MOST POPULAR DECK atm is a Deck that doesn't even run any stage pokemons, This shouldn't be a problem.
Literally having to run EXs to counter EXs is a problem. Evolving pokemon being intrinsically bad is a problem. Diversity of viable decks is the fruit of trading card games. If every deck is running the same gameplan of 36 trainers 8 EX-mons and 16 energy, there's more than a problem.

There was a time in Magic where aggro decks ran rampant, and every game was completely non interactive as two sligh decks smashed faces together. It wasn't entertaining in the least.

Magic's power creep ... Basically, they started to design sets in a similar way to what we see today with draft, sealed, and block play in mind.
Thanks for the additional insight. Magic is also intrinsically avoidant of power creep due to the relatively low starting health of players, the aspect of mana costs, and the aspect of colored mana requirements giving each color an already-established power-curve to balance around. That and every color having some degree of easy removal for everything but the most dodgy creatures.

That being said, the new 1-drop 1/2 with bestow is freaking nuts. Possibly the strongest common weenie made yet. It inherently has a strong presence as a weenie AND midrange capability.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Sometimes in cardgames it's fun to be a ****, yeah?

it's not so fun when it happens to you though
Trap Dustshoot was a sleeper amazing card for so long lmao. I was like "Dude this gives you two cards...?" and people were still spamming Solemn Judgment poorly.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
If this is something other than Wrong Warp, I'm gonna flip out, figure it out, and replay OoT3D right now.
Sorry to rain on your parade, but it's just a Wrong Warp, haha. It's part of the route to beat Ganon as fast as possible.

Trap Dustshoot was a sleeper amazing card for so long lmao. I was like "Dude this gives you two cards...?" and people were still spamming Solemn Judgment poorly.
I got started playing competitively around the time where it was limited and everyone run it. People would set one Trap and pass and I'd just go ****

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sorry to rain on your parade, but it's just a Wrong Warp, haha. It's part of the route to beat Ganon as fast as possible.
I can't believe OoT 3D is down to like 35 minutes now. Wasn't that long ago it was over an hour. Speedrunners are ingenious.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Chromanticore isn't even that good.
The only formats that have good enough color fixing to play a WUBRG costed spell are eternal formats that function with fetchland-dual manabases and they are all far too hyper-efficient to play a 5cmc creature that dies to removal without impacting the game in some way shape or form as soon as it comes into play, be that through an "enters the battlefield" trigger, static ability, activated ability that doesn't require tapping, haste, etc.
It will see play in EDH, but other than that I would highly doubt it does much of anything outside of tabletop.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I can't believe OoT 3D is down to like 35 minutes now. Wasn't that long ago it was over an hour. Speedrunners are ingenious.
My favorite part is routing. OoT 3D completes the dungeons in a crazy order. In MST (Medallions Stones Trials) you beat them Jabu Jabu > Get the Master Sword > Dodongo's Cavern > Fire Temple > Forest Temple > Deku Tree > Spirit Temple > Shadow Temple > Ganondorf Trials > Water Temple > fight Ganondorf. It's crazy that you finish almost all the dungeons as an adult save for one. I can't wait for the next 3D Zelda and to see what can be done to it.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Is it still possible to exploit the same glitches from the orginal in OoT 3D? One would think that the devs would have tried to clean stuff like that up, unless they left it in intentionally (props to them, either way).

And yeah, speedrunners are extremely entertaining to watch, whether it's a TAS or on-console. I love me some 2D Metroid speedruns from time to time.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
[collapse=Magic power creep in a nutshell]
[/collapse]

****'s whack, better get your playset quick if you want to compete.
This is actually not a very good creature by either old or new standards. It has powerful and synergistic keywords, but the 5-color requirement means having to build a deck with a LOT of mana fixing and a LOT of each color, which means you can't build to have other colored spells consistently. He also is susceptible to the plentiful creature-removal in the game and gives the opponent a full turn to deal with it before impacting the game with an 8-life difference. He won't see any play in standard outside of a possible dead reanimation target, and drafting 5-color is nearly impossible. The risk of running 5C just isn't worth it when you lose the effective spells and gameplan of more dedicated color investment. He'd be powercreep in anything up to 3-Colored requirement, but not as a reward for playing 5C.

This guy, however, is Super Power Creep Bros. Advanced 3. As are most mythics.

[collapse=All glory to our White Cat Lord]
[/collapse]

Chromanticore isn't even that good.
The only formats that have good enough color fixing to play a WUBRG costed spell are eternal formats that function with fetchland-dual manabases and they are all far too hyper-efficient to play a 5cmc creature that dies to removal without impacting the game in some way shape or form as soon as it comes into play, be that through an "enters the battlefield" trigger, static ability, activated ability that doesn't require tapping, haste, etc.
It will see play in EDH, but other than that I would highly doubt it does much of anything outside of tabletop.
And we aren't just saying this by today's slight creeped standards either. Going balls deep in every color equally is a challenging feet in Magic. The most any solid deck can effectively run is 3C, and even then getting color screwed is always a risk.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Some things remained, but a lot is changed. Plenty of glitches are gone, other's really hard to accomplish/not as practical (like infinite sword glitch), and there are even a few new ones (like Hookshot/Doom Jump) The runs look wholly different (WR for Any% in OoT is 19:05 and the same in OoT 3D is 35:05) but they both get pretty broken still.

My favorite segment is after you get the Zora's Sapphire. You go to the Marketplace, have a warp set up, exit, and end up in the Shadow Temple. You grab the Hover boots as a kid, warp back, and walk into the Slingshot game building... And end up in the Temple of Time next to the Master Sword. You can learn more over at Zeldaspeedruns.com if you're interested

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Games sometimes have a lot of weird **** in them...That 19:05 OoT speedrun still baffles me to this day...How in ****ing hell did people discover all these stuff??

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I can't wait to see that first sub-19 run. Who ever thought it would happen? OoT is cray

Majora's Mask Any% just lost like 3 minutes with a new trick discovered a few days ago.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Coming from yugioh, MTG was really frustrating to start getting into, but it did because my roommate is into it and gave up on yugioh. I'm currently building a red/blue scry/spell hearted chimera deck for modern because its cheap, effective, and not to complicated. I plan on going to a draft tourney in a few weeks with the new set.

Yugioh still has a special place in my heart. despite the ridiculous **** and power creeps, I just love playing with heavy Contellar control and hazy flames.

But that TCG yylvetal card, what the **** is that. I tried to get into it with my little brother, was slightly interested, but if thats what the meta would be like, i'm out.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Chimera is cray cray for an uncommon. That much evasion and potential power is terrifying if you can hit the right cards to curve into it.
Its not too dificult to set up once I can survive mid game with flame speaker adept, essentially being a 5/3 first strike every turn. I'm not the best at mtg but I do enjoy it. What I've found frustrating is how much the cost for dual/scry lands add up. Most of my deck is commons, but it still was like 50+ for just the lands and a copy or two of thassa god of the sea.

OSCA MIKE

Smash Journeyman
I had so much fun doing the Uber run in OoT. **** is so damn difficult BUT HOLY **** IS IT WORTH IT

...Except I didn't beat the game, I got bored at Ganon's Castle, but w/e that's far enough for me lol

Seriously if you follow the guide like I did the second dungeon you do after Deku Tree is the Spirit Temple, and OH MY GOD IS THE CUCOO JUMP HARD AS ****

It reminds of a lot of Dark Souls, actually

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I ended up trying a variation of Uber on 3D which ends up doing a mega flip damage boost onto the gate. It's a hell of a lot more manageable given you use Farore's Wind to help you if you run out of bombs or get caught.

OSCA MIKE

Smash Journeyman
I'm assuming bombs were involved

Also my favorite TAS speedrun has to be the OoT one; seriously so much of it is broken it's entertaining and almost comical

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I'm assuming bombs were involved

Also my favorite TAS speedrun has to be the OoT one; seriously so much of it is broken it's entertaining and almost comical
Yeah, I believe the cucco jump isn't doable because the bridge collision was redone. Lack of ISG also removes other options.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Everyone knows the only way to play Pokemon is to invest in booster packs, amass a collection of holo and secret rare cards, then sell them for profit and/or pass them down to your children. Like seriously.... you can buy a $3 pack and manage an $80 pull if you get a secret rare. The value of mint secret rares, as far as I know and since sets aren't printed forever, can only go up

And all this talk about speedruns is making me think about all the Okami glitches I've stumbled upon, including mastering a really difficult one discovered by a speedrunner... You can actually jump infinitely in any version of Okami (PS2, Wii, PS3) if you use a Karmic Transformer glitch every time you jump or double jump. I only really use it to get a feel of how well designed this game really is. Like, you would be shocked how detailed the outside of Oni Island actually is (and you can actually get Thunderstorm from the outside if you jump up to its ledge on the back of the island). The tradeoff to this is that you have an incredibly tight window to do this and to actually get much use out of it you will need to do it multiple times- the only window is the moment between when the closed fan of the menu disappears and the game comes back after the menu.

The only glitches I've actually discovered are random area glitches where there's a hole in the floor, so if you walk over it a certain way you fall for several seconds then get respawned to the place you just were. It's nice to see underneath the areas sometimes... I've also discovered a few ways to battle more effectively like eliminating endlag for any glaive's sub attack if it's when you dive down from the air.

Did I mention I've spent countless hours of my life just trying to master that infinite jump glitch?

...No?

Yeah.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I like playing hearthstone because it's fun and casual and I don't have to spend money. MTG is fun but I'm not a fan of the money/time investment.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Just got into the hearthstone beta, but I've got way too much P:M to play to bother with it.

Azotal

Smash Cadet
I like playing hearthstone because it's fun and casual and I don't have to spend money. MTG is fun but I'm not a fan of the money/time investment.
Lol. Don't have to pay any money. I've had it for a while now, and I've spent too much cash. Then, I got bored.
My problem with TCG is that they're not addictive (lol strange complaint). I get bored of them in a few weeks. I always come back, but it's a vicious cycle of playing a lot, then not playing at all.

Top Bottom