• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
The narrative for Battle of the Five Gods sounds like it was written 5mins before the event lmfao

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
People like to think framerate doesn't matter and the only people demanding it are graphic whores. It's unfortunate. But it can be easily remedied by playing a fast pace game at 30fps then playing it again at 60fps. Even if they can't see it, they should be able to feel it, if not, they're probably forever dumb
the gameplay doesnt change
PlateProp PlateProp

Please don't pull a Bleck. Learn to read. I personally don't give a **** about the LAN aspect of it. I've done LAN parties for alot longer than you've probably been alive. I just understand where everyone else is coming from.

Heaven forbid I ****ing empathize.

Smooth Criminal
"muh you younging kid whippersnapper"

wasnt even pointing at you so much as all the other people in the thread who havent even bothered to learn how setting up the lan works and instead go "omg you have to plug an ethernet cord in so complicated"

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
the gameplay doesnt change
Frame rate still has a major affect on how you play though. It's still Pokken, but it's Pokken where you have less frames to react. I'd imagine the devs planned around this and hopefully it isn't too big a deal, but still it's sub-optimal

Vashimus

Smash Master
You do realize it's not Microsoft and Sony prioritizing online multiplayer but consumers themselves? And I don't mean that by consumers are buying more online only games because that's all that's being sold, but that they're literally playing split-screen less, even when the option is there. Don't believe me? Ask a game dev, they're collecting data on every little thing you're doing in a game and consumers are saying "Local play is cool and all, but I'd rather just hop online and get in a party". Game devs see this and think, "Well y'all ain't using it and this **** is hard and costly. Ain't worth it." Therefore less games have it. Suffice to say, gamers killed local play, not greedy corporations.
It's really saddening it's become that way then. Even as people grow up and can't find time to play games locally with others anymore, I still think there's still a younger generation that should be able to experience the kind of local multiplayer we've had in the past rather than being restricted to online. Nintendo's never lost sight of it and I commend them for that, but I don't want them being the only source for it. It's kind of similar to the frame-rate debate between consumers and developers where although 60FPS plays unquestionably better than 30, it's difficult to maintain and doesn't impact sales or reviews much (Really, Insomniac?), so devs think "why bother". Either way people get screwed.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
That's really saddening then it's come that way then. Even as people grow up and can't find time to play games locally, there's still a younger generation that should be able to experience the kind of local multiplayer we've had in the past. Nintendo's never lost sight of it and I commend them for that, but I don't want them ending up being the only source for it. It's kind of similar to the frame-rate debate between consumers and developers where although 60FPS plays unquestionably better than 30, it's difficult to maintain and doesn't impact sales or reviews much (Really, Insomniac?), so devs think "why bother". Either way people get screwed.
Yeah, but that younger generation is growing up with access to online multiplayer, so a lot of them don't care about local play either.

A lot of the things heavily invested players demand, the majority of consumers just don't care about. They're not getting screwed over because they're still playing they're favorite game on their preferred consoles, while the rest of us are wondering why this game is locked at 30fps and 900p.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Snake Eyez will carry the US into the promise land with Muscle Spirit comrades!

GIEF IS GOING OVER BROTHERS

Bleck

Smash Master
games function by having a code called a Game Loop that measures the state of the game, which is split into three parts; Initialize, Update, Draw

Initialize is the game setting itself up

Update is the game capturing any input data and calculating how those inputs need to change any relevant data

Draw is the game putting all of that changed information on the screen via graphics

note that Frames Per Second is not the same thing as Updates Per Second, where the former refers to how many times the Draw phase is being called per second, and the latter refers to how many times the Update phase is being called per second

so for example, here's a (hotlinked, so oopsy doops if it doesn't work) diagram of a game that would run at one frame per second

the update phase is followed by the draw phase, repeat

here's a diagram of ten frames per second

you can extrapolate this to 60fps

so, why does it not matter that the game runs at 30fps in single console local multiplayer? because the game's UPS doesn't change - while it's possible, and extremely common, for games to be written in such a way as to account for variable FPS depending on numerous factors, it's not possible (that I know of) to change a game's UPS (it's possible to influence it by outside factors like overheating a CPU and etc., but the code itself doesn't change)

because Pokken normally runs at 60FPS, it's extremely unlikely that another entirely separate set of code for the game just for the one multiplayer mode that isn't even really encouraged exists in the game; barring any nearly-magical code experiments, the game likely runs at 60UPS even when playing the 30FPS mode

as such, the only way that going down to 30FPS would negatively influence someone's ability to play the game is if their muscle memory for whatever they're trying to do was based entirely on visual cues - and if that was the case, which would imply that a person is somehow physically capable of counting sixty frames per second (read; they cannot), then going down to thirty would actually make the game easier for them, as the smaller amount of frames would make it easier for them to visually register the individual moments that they're attributing to separate frames

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Ya going down in FPS shouldn't mean you lose time for inputs. It means there's more empty / non updated visual between frames. You may lose detail but the game doesn't drop your inputs, barring any changes to ^^^ mechanics Bleck is talking about.

If you watch Fox jab a person in 60 fps, vs watching him jab at 2 fps, the opponent will still get hit in both cases (at 2fps, I'm pretty sure you might not even get to see Fox jab). If you consider how moves operate in real time (ms instead of fps), a move will not change real time properties just by switching fps. Changing fps is like changing a camera shutter speed: if you do 60 photos a second vs 2, the Running Back doesn't suddenly slow down to a Snail speed because you infrequently decide to capture his visual. You won't capture the action and nuances as well by going lower.

I'm not sure how discernible frame rate actually is from 60 to 30, but it shouldn't strongly impact gameplay unless the moves were somehow tweaked to give different real time values. A jab that takes 100 ms to complete, suddenly taking 150 ms to complete, is where issues would lie. Not a 4/60 fps jab going down to 2/30 fps. That would be the same real time speed.

Last edited:

Helsong

Smash Ace
30 fps vs 60 fps is a discernible difference if you're actually used to any sort of fast paced gameplay. Or even if you're playing something slower, it makes a difference visually, which is an important part of the gameplay experience. Try playing Smash at 60, then again at 30. It doesn't super mess you up or anything, but the game itself does feel a bit worse(for me anyway, but i place emphasis on the visual portion of gameplay).

Having played Pokken local multiplayer....it's all right? I mean, I'm not doing anything precise with the game, so I feel like this whole "controversy" is overblown. The issue I have is that the overall structure for local is weird and odd, but the framerate drop does not seem like a huge deal. The game looks worse in motion, which sucks major ass. But it's not the end of the world. But again, this is first impressions, and I want to stress that I'd 100% of the time prefer to play at 60 fps, all the time, no matter what and it's silly that I can't if I want to do local multiplayer.

I'm really surprised they didn't just have the game downgrade graphically to keep a constant 60 going in local multiplayer to ensure a better experience that way. Lots of games have done that, and it's almost never been complained about.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
snake eyez does the gief things I dream of. He links pokes into SPD way smooth: I end up doing it too early and missing. RIP

I swear he's the secret descendant of Jesus, cause the dude instills the fear of the Lord into your very soul

Also damn I miss green hand way much. Catch myself doing the inputs for it and getting squat in SFV. I know he's still fun without it, but green hand was the bomb. I can't be the only dude missing that gem of a move!

Last edited:

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
Speaking of Plate's reactions, the topic of Ganon's "infinite" tech chase on Squirtle came up in discussion at Frozen Phoenix. I explained why it wasn't actually possible, Dirtboy responded with "But Plate said it was possible" to which I said "I know you don't actually give any credence to anything Plate says"
He just laughed after that
:happysheep:
But Plate is a god

Real talk, when are we going to see evidence of your legendary reaction times? PlateProp PlateProp

At this point it's become more of a joke than anything

==

On the subject of FPS, watch literally ANY smash video at 60fps. Now watch that same video at 30fps. You'll see the difference, but nothing changes drastically other than visuals. The game still plays the same, but you lose every other frame. So when trying to frame advance or play at super slow-mo on replay, you'll miss certain animations.

Last edited:

drakargx

Smash Journeyman
So when trying to frame advance or play at super slow-mo on replay, you'll miss certain animations.
That would only happen if the animations were playing at 60 fps, but for many games the animation is running at a slower speed because its easier for the artist, so it should be playing out at the same speed in that case

Or so I think, I dunno if that applies for 3D games but for 2D games the animation speed is usually slower

Helsong

Smash Ace
Ciel sleeping surrounded by papers and coffee is me IRL but Dark Souls 3 hype has permeated every fiber of my being so wax lady it is.

4 days til Japan release, 22 until US release. I think I might go hollow before then.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
You know how if you write down your work and take it one step at a time it is supposed to calm you down.
I was calm and now that I can see all the things I no longer am.
Whelp.
I promise myself that I'll go to bed at 11:30

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
damn, bleck bodies pms yet again
reaction test 1.png

old af milla, was high off my ass when I did it though

Vashimus

Smash Master
You said you were drunk, not high.

If you're actually touting that test as legitimate, you should be able to block every single mixup in Guilty Gear then, because they're all slower than that.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
alright, found a picture that shows my scarfage off pretty decently.

2d-012.jpg
i REALLY need to practice posing and stuff, still, but i'm not too concerned. i actually have, like, twice as many scarves made as i used.

and another of my tail. we were just being silly at this point.
2d-025.jpg

all con was a lot of fun this year. it was still mostly just sitting around either the waifu's panels she presented, or sitting with her at writer panels (where my ears confused two different people at each panel, thinking someone was raising their hand behind me : D ). the burlesque show they had this year was a bit boring (a whoooooooole lot of super classic format, which gets old. but jett adore was literally godlike again, so that made it amazing!) and i lost a frightening amount of weight going from friday to saturday (or i'm assuming i did, because my vest went from barely fitting, really tightly to fitting just a bit snug, the next day ;x).

i got a few more pictures after the show, with the waifu but more amusing, i got called a bunny twice today. once was an old guy who said i reminded him of some moody blues stage act that involved a rabbit stealing someone's glasses and the second was this really young kid, like, 4 or 5 who was walking down the stairs with his parents and he said "your bunny costume is cute!" while wearing his silly little kid batman hoodie with a mask on the hood.

i also had an older lady ask where my trainer was, with some "undertones", if you will. while the waifu was standing next to me (she was dc bombshell version lois lane at the time, so it was a relevant, if loaded, question : p). it was pretty silly.

i still need to go find a fire stone online somewhere, probably etsy, and then find one of those handheld electric fans that has a rim around it so i can attach some streamers to it, so i can use flamethrower or something goofy like that, but otherwise the costume itself is pretty complete (with the hat modding that i talked about a few pages back).

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I gotta finish this profile essay. Help me push through it with some empowering ****posts fam.
View attachment 100902
Believe in yourself.
And believe in we who believe in you.
And all that other crap.
Follow your beliefs and you, too, can do the impossible and see the invisible.
Overcome logic and kick reason to the curb.
Break your limits and go beyond evolution.
Open your heart, then live and learn.
Burn your dread and reach out to the truth.
Tips the scales and change fate.
Fight for your right to party.

And that's all I've got right now. Good luck, dude. ¦D

Top Bottom