• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Bleck

Smash Master
this is a departure from the fighting game standard and you know it
I don't get it. I don't understand how you could possibly be rallying against competent local multiplayer, a norm that has always stayed consistent from as early as Pong to even current day 2016.
1) the existence of the norm is not a good argument in support of it

2) I could maybe understand calling it problematic if there just wasn't local multiplayer at all, but it's there, and

3) if your problem is that you're afraid of maybe having to switch from using the gamepad to using the pro controller or vice versa, two controllers that beyond the physical size differences are made out of the same parts and otherwise are the same, you may, in fact, be a baby

4) I've seen other people saying that it's unreasonable to be expected to cart several systems around to a place to do multiplayer locally, even though LAN parties have existed for longer than some of these chumps have been alive - like, it's a departure from the standard for fighting games, sure, but I don't necessarily think that companies have to cater to your arbitrary whims when people have been lugging consoles and PCs around to play Halo or StarCraft or what the heck ever for literally decades at this point

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Right, Bleck, but aside from huge esports-styled tourneys and actual businesses for it, LAN congregations are...not commonplace anymore? Especially since the online infrastructure has advanced in such a way that it's become more efficient just to play online versus lugging all that **** around (especially in Halo and Starcraft's case). And in Pokken's case, the gameplay is actually affected when you do play it locally on a single console; the framerate nosedives, for example, among other things.

(I actually don't mind the Gamepad as a controller, but I prefer the HORI pad or Pro easily)

To clarify: I don't find the notion of setting things up for LAN play for this game appalling or anything, just a little bit inconvenient. Hell, I did LAN stuff a ton growing up, like CoD 2 tourneys and epic open-ended Brood War games. It was some of the most fun I've had gaming. But I can understand where the others are coming from a bit.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Be me

Downloaded pokken

Go online, into ranked

Pick mexican pikachu because **** yeah suplexes

Play first game, destroy opponent r1
They kind of come back in r2, until I remember burst mode exists

Burst, opponent ends up slapping me or something but I punish them for kill with the lucha super special awesome flying press burst

Tfw the satisfaction of knowing you crushed your opponent mentally View attachment 100529

@Warchamp7 when's pokkenboards
>Using meme-speak mid-post in 2016.
C'mon fam, stop pulling my leg with this ****. :yeahboi:
ringbull.jpg

Edit: I have become the ringbull

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
WESTBALLZ PLEASE

EDIT: Holy **** the mangle by mango

Last edited:

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
So most of the time i spend studying is in a Starbucks because the internet here is really good.

So i have my table laid out with all of my work (English, Calc, ect.) When from the corner of my eye i see this elder couple i always see here start looking for a spot to sit.

Now my Starbucks isn't full of hipsters, but it is full out assholes, so none would offer their seats to them.

So because i know them so well (like an uncle or aunt) i say hi to them and ask them if they're looking for a seat.

The answer was an obvious yes. So as he finished his answer i was already prepped to sit on the high tables they have, ready to relive my spot. He asked me if i was leaving. My answer was no (because i'm still working)

He said thanks to me and he and his wife proceeded to take my table.

Now i feel kinda happy because of this. So i make nothing of it and start to set up my stuff on the high tables. Minutes later i heard a familiar voice creep up behind me and poke my shoulder.

It was the old man. And when he said thanks again, and i repepeated my welcomings, he offered me a cup of coffee!

And as i accepted his offer, a miracle came to me and a table was open.

Some people may not believe in karma, but if i hadn't offered my seat, i'm pretty sure i would not have this coffee beside me.

Today is a good day

Attachments

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Man, I couldn't give less of a **** about Pokken. Weird thing is is that I've been really wanting to play a Pokemon game for some reason. Crystal is my favorite and I'm thinking about emulating HG/SS, but I kinda want a fresh experience. Do you guys think HG/SS would give me that, or should I try another game?

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
1) the existence of the norm is not a good argument in support of it
Not saying it is, but you also said this: "KayB, posting to us directly from the far off year of 2004," which seemed to imply that a fully functional local multiplayer is not that norm, which I think is horrendously untrue for console games especially. You can say that there are plenty of PC games that require two systems to play, but I don't think it's a farfetched complaint to feel uncomfortable that a common gaming norm that has facilitated the expansion of games (like Smash) is becoming more of a privilege rather than an expectation.

3) if your problem is that you're afraid of maybe having to switch from using the gamepad to using the pro controller or vice versa, two controllers that beyond the physical size differences are made out of the same parts and otherwise are the same, you may, in fact, be a baby
I mean I am a bit miffed by the whole controller issue, it seems like a pointless addition when it's been proven many times that similar games work fine without the need for a second screen. If that was the only issue, I wouldn't have a problem with it, and I'd still happily play multiplayer. My main gripe is that multiplayer is 30 FPS, which I think is pretty inexcusable for any game, much less a fighting game. The controller restrictions seem to add on to these flaws, which doesn't exactly make multiplayer appealing, and I don't think I'm overreaching when I make those complaints.

4) I've seen other people saying that it's unreasonable to be expected to cart several systems around to a place to do multiplayer locally, even though LAN parties have existed for longer than some of these chumps have been alive - like, it's a departure from the standard for fighting games, sure, but I don't necessarily think that companies have to cater to your arbitrary whims when people have been lugging consoles and PCs around to play Halo or StarCraft or what the heck ever for literally decades at this point
Yes, but LAN parties have been more of a necessary component of games like StarCraft rather than a choice. You can't completely compare the two. And Halo does have a perfectly functional local multiplayer. Sure, LAN connections are more feasible for a more complete experience, but that never came at the expense of its multiplayer. I don't mind LAN parties as an option, but I dislike it when it's the ONLY option, when we've had decades of console and PC games where it's literally the expectation to have this feature. The point is that Pokken seems like it could've had a working multiplayer, but for whatever reason it has a disturbing amount of limitations that make it unappealing.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
: D ran into a random sylveon today and had an eevee selfie!

Had a couple random pictures taken, which was neat, and a lot of people say they liked how fluffyy tail is and a couple people asked to touch it so I let them and they basically squealed and this has been a pretty great run so far today : D

Attachments

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
Glad you're having fun dude! I think that's what people should learn to love and respect about people that go to cons. It's simply people who enjoy dressing up and acting like it's Halloween whenever they want :)

Edit: just realized this was my 1000th post. Glad it was something happy and stuff

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
oh yeah, mirror selfie from their photo op room with the waifu in the background. we're gonna take pictures with the professional guys that're there tomorrow with her as my trainer, so i'll put up some of those later, so you can admire the ridiculous amount of scarves i have going on.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Yeah, because they'd rather keep you on their networks and charge you to play people instead. Sony and Microsoft's shift in focus to prioritizing online over local play is one of the bigger of their many mistakes because it’s always an uphill struggle, while PC's do it so effortlessly.
You do realize it's not Microsoft and Sony prioritizing online multiplayer but consumers themselves? And I don't mean that by consumers are buying more online only games because that's all that's being sold, but that they're literally playing split-screen less, even when the option is there. Don't believe me? Ask a game dev, they're collecting data on every little thing you're doing in a game and consumers are saying "Local play is cool and all, but I'd rather just hop online and get in a party". Game devs see this and think, "Well y'all ain't using it and this **** is hard and costly. Ain't worth it." Therefore less games have it. Suffice to say, gamers killed local play, not greedy corporations.

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Made a pop song this week. An old friend asked me to look at her lyrics, and I basically just asked if I could use them for my music technology project and record with her. I cleaned some of the lyrics up with her and then wrote and recorded the song. It was basically done in like two days altogether, so it's kinda rushed. Overall I think it's nice, but there's way more I'd like to do with pop-type electronic stuff. Hopefully that'll be sometime this week while I'm on break.

https://soundcloud.com/https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fnanoboss%2Fodds-and-ends

NWRL

Smash Ace
Sub 60FPS local multi for a game that otherwise runs at 60FPS is a huge oversight, and an absolute blunder. Unless you're a diehard Nintendo shill, there's no defending it.

Has anyone else been cringing at the Battle of 5 Gods tournament? The commentary and interviews and esports desk thing seem super forced and really unprofessional.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Right, Bleck, but aside from huge esports-styled tourneys and actual businesses for it, LAN congregations are...not commonplace anymore? Especially since the online infrastructure has advanced in such a way that it's become more efficient just to play online versus lugging all that **** around (especially in Halo and Starcraft's case). And in Pokken's case, the gameplay is actually affected when you do play it locally on a single console; the framerate nosedives, for example, among other things.

(I actually don't mind the Gamepad as a controller, but I prefer the HORI pad or Pro easily)

To clarify: I don't find the notion of setting things up for LAN play for this game appalling or anything, just a little bit inconvenient. Hell, I did LAN stuff a ton growing up, like CoD 2 tourneys and epic open-ended Brood War games. It was some of the most fun I've had gaming. But I can understand where the others are coming from a bit.

Smooth Criminal
Not saying it is, but you also said this: "KayB, posting to us directly from the far off year of 2004," which seemed to imply that a fully functional local multiplayer is not that norm, which I think is horrendously untrue for console games especially. You can say that there are plenty of PC games that require two systems to play, but I don't think it's a farfetched complaint to feel uncomfortable that a common gaming norm that has facilitated the expansion of games (like Smash) is becoming more of a privilege rather than an expectation.

I mean I am a bit miffed by the whole controller issue, it seems like a pointless addition when it's been proven many times that similar games work fine without the need for a second screen. If that was the only issue, I wouldn't have a problem with it, and I'd still happily play multiplayer. My main gripe is that multiplayer is 30 FPS, which I think is pretty inexcusable for any game, much less a fighting game. The controller restrictions seem to add on to these flaws, which doesn't exactly make multiplayer appealing, and I don't think I'm overreaching when I make those complaints.

Yes, but LAN parties have been more of a necessary component of games like StarCraft rather than a choice. You can't completely compare the two. And Halo does have a perfectly functional local multiplayer. Sure, LAN connections are more feasible for a more complete experience, but that never came at the expense of its multiplayer. I don't mind LAN parties as an option, but I dislike it when it's the ONLY option, when we've had decades of console and PC games where it's literally the expectation to have this feature. The point is that Pokken seems like it could've had a working multiplayer, but for whatever reason it has a disturbing amount of limitations that make it unappealing.
******** about local mp being 30 fps is dumb, the game still runs looks and plays fine at 30 fps. ******** about lan being difficult is dumb too, when the most inconvinent one literally just has you put in an ip and dns, with the most convinent one just letting you plug into the same router with no further setup required.

like **** people at least play the ****ing game first before acting like 30fps/lan connections killed your ****ing family ffs

also you dont even need the hori controller, you can just usb a pro controller like smash 4 or use a classic controller

Last edited:

NWRL

Smash Ace
******** about local mp being 30 fps is dumb, the game still runs looks and plays fine at 30 fps. ******** about lan being difficult is dumb too, when the most inconvinent one literally just has you put in an ip and dns, with the most convinent one just letting you plug into the same router with no further setup required.

like **** people at least play the ****ing game first before acting like 30fps/lan connections killed your ****ing family ffs

also you dont even need the hori controller, you can just usb a pro controller like smash 4 or use a classic controller
....what? I hope you realize that going from 60FPS to 30FPS is a massive jump and completely changes move timings and the overall experience.

If it was a dumb complaint, exhibition tournaments would just be running on a single Wii U at 30 fps. But each one so far has used a separate console to maintain 60 FPS. I wonder why that is?

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
....what? I hope you realize that going from 60FPS to 30FPS is a massive jump and completely changes move timings and the overall experience.

If it was a dumb complaint, exhibition tournaments would just be running on a single Wii U at 30 fps. But each one so far has used a separate console to maintain 60 FPS. I wonder why that is?
No, no, you don't understand, Plate's godlike reaction times mean that the difference between 17 ms and 34 ms means nothing to him, since he's really just reacting to his opponents real-world controller inputs before they even reach the game.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486

look, another person who hasnt actually played the local multiplayer

No, no, you don't understand, Plate's godlike reaction times mean that the difference between 17 ms and 34 ms means nothing to him, since he's really just reacting to his opponents real-world controller inputs before they even reach the game.
Tfw you have inferior genetics resulting in garbage reaction times
93067d9b5a0fe01933cd4379078b1ba64e40e538054b26f3eab6f28284d5101b_1.jpg

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
Speaking of Plate's reactions, the topic of Ganon's "infinite" tech chase on Squirtle came up in discussion at Frozen Phoenix. I explained why it wasn't actually possible, Dirtboy responded with "But Plate said it was possible" to which I said "I know you don't actually give any credence to anything Plate says"
He just laughed after that
:happysheep:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Made a pop song this week. An old friend asked me to look at her lyrics, and I basically just asked if I could use them for my music technology project and record with her. I cleaned some of the lyrics up with her and then wrote and recorded the song. It was basically done in like two days altogether, so it's kinda rushed. Overall I think it's nice, but there's way more I'd like to do with pop-type electronic stuff. Hopefully that'll be sometime this week while I'm on break.

https://soundcloud.com/https%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fnanoboss%2Fodds-and-ends
The voices are a bit hard to hear clearly, I don't know if it's intentional. Takes away a bit in my opinion

Also unrelated but is Sylvana Morrow the real name?

If so that's a pretty cool real name

Either way I'm keeping Morrow in mind for surname of an edgy OC

*MANIACAL CACKLES*

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
The voices are a bit hard to hear clearly, I don't know if it's intentional. Takes away a bit in my opinion

Also unrelated but is Sylvana Morrow the real name?

If so that's a pretty cool real name

Either way I'm keeping Morrow in mind for surname of an edgy OC

*MANIACAL CACKLES*
It's mostly because the recordings were both bad and rushed, honestly. But they probably should be a little higher in the mix as well.

Morrow isn't her real last name, but I wouldn't be surprised if she changed it to that legally at some point. She doesn't really like her legal surname.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
How is this even a debate?
People like to think framerate doesn't matter and the only people demanding it are graphic whores. It's unfortunate. But it can be easily remedied by playing a fast pace game at 30fps then playing it again at 60fps. Even if they can't see it, they should be able to feel it, if not, they're probably forever dumb

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
People like to think a lot of things, and most of them are misguided at best.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
PlateProp PlateProp

Please don't pull a Bleck. Learn to read. I personally don't give a **** about the LAN aspect of it. I've done LAN parties for alot longer than you've probably been alive. I just understand where everyone else is coming from.

Heaven forbid I ****ing empathize.

Smooth Criminal

Top Bottom