• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So at my uni although I'm a sophomore I get emails that only juniors are supposed to get, I think the system technically thinks I'm a junior

An email was just sent out to all juniors saying that completion of a sexual assault training course is mandatory, I wonder if I have to do it or not

If I ask then they might fix it so that I stop getting emails meant for the year ahead of me, which would suck because they've frequently sent emails to the year ahead of me that were of high importance(like job fairs or internship offers; even if I get denied due to being a year behind what they're looking for they'll still ask for my contact info and stuff) but they don't send it to my class. On the other hand if I go do it and then it turns out I didn't have to, that would suck because my schedule is pretty packed so wasting an hour or two kinda sucks. And then there's also the case where I have to do it next year again which would be awful
Do it IMO and then if you have to do it next year say you already did it, should get some sort of certificate for doing it or something.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Were PM still under active development, I'd probably argue that meteor canceling probably should just be removed entirely, but alas.
Yeah, especially since meteor cancelling was probably just tacked onto melee because of the absurdity that were s64 meteors.

Shellfire

Smash Apprentice
Naw, Meteor cancelling should still exist. Maybe what classifies and what doesn't could stand to be changed, but if nothing were meteor cancelleable a lot of moves would become broken overnight.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I didn't realize people didn't like meteor cancelling. It always seemed like one of those things people put on a pedestal like L-Cancel

drakargx

Smash Journeyman
I feel like it's such a nonissue

What does getting rid of or keeping meteor cancels do anyway? Or maybe because it's so meaningless to keep/remove them, for simplicity's sake it should be gone?

It's honestly one of those things where I never thought of it because its such a situational mechanic

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
it also would make some things really stupid

as it is, the game is balanced around meteor smashes, as in spike hitboxes are generally a lot harder to hit with/have really high commitment and meteors are a lot more plentiful

like falco's dair is literally the only exception and even then that was made much more negatively disjointed after the first hitbox in pm

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I'd imagine in this hypothetical world where every meteor became spikes, the game would be re-balanced for it

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
Today is one of the few special moments of my life that seemingly end with sadness, but also with happiness. And because of that, i would like to share a story of how a game strengthen my bond with my mother. It is long, but for today, this is all for her.
When i was little, me and the rest of our family, when it wasn't around, didn't have a lot of disposable money. Most of our stuff we used for entertainment was handed down from our other siblings when they had the latest version. One of the those items was a Super Nintendo with three controllers (One of them a turbo) with a few games. From the top of my head they were Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario World, Streets of Rage, and Castlevania: Dracula X.

Even when the Nintendo 64 was out and everyone (including my relatives who gave us the SNES) was stoked with Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario 64, i was still playing with last gen device....and to be honest i am still glad to this day i did. In fact, if it wasn't for that machine i wouldn't have some fond memories of my mother with it.

The first game i played was Donkey Kong Country and while it was fun, i was never able to pass the first level of the mines (I think the 5th world) so with that i gave up on it and watch my mother beat it like it was no problem. She was the one that told me to get the oil drum so that the platform won't fall.

The next game was probably the most emotional and yet, life changing game i have ever experienced.

More than just the story of the cartridge, but what it changed in the real world for me. Because of it i was not only able to see the beauty of a game, but the beauty of a loved ones cooperation with someone they loved in need, someone to build up and make sure they strive for what they truly want all by themselves, the beauty of achieving something even though it has no actual value in the real world. A game that founded our true bond of enjoying something together not only as a team, but as a family.

And that game was Castlevania: Dracula X

A story of a man wanting to save his girlfriend and rescue a little girl form the clutches of an evil spawn of Satan, destined to intervene with this creature by his bloodline for all eternity, it was his turn to remove this sore from the land of the humans and restore peace to it once again as his grandfather, and his grandfather, and so for did. The story was enough to get me digging through the game for what i was expecting the correct ending. You see i was never really good at find the tidbits of the game; I would just rush through it as a child would always. So most of the time i would forget stuff like hidden chicken or the occasional candle.

As I journeyed into the castle, i stumbled onto stage 3. In what is usually called, "The Trial Stage". Now it gets this name, and many others, because of certain part of the stage that determines which path you will take once you complete it. The problem with one of these paths is that it never made you finish the stage; it made you proceed to the next stage immediately.

Usually i never liked to go through hard stages, and as such when i was knocked off the pillars by a dragon head, avoiding the skeleton, throwing bones at me, i was happy to see the stage 4 logo. But in reality this is where it all goes wrong.

If you fall off the pillars and don't make to the other side, you will automatically receive the worst ending and there is nothing you can do about it for it to change. As i proceeded to complete 4 and then 5, i found my way climbing towards the top of the clock tower. Where at the top i am greeted with a giant skull and a woman with a green dress. It was at this moment where my mother saw what i did and decided to keep watching on what i assume now was how i would react towards the woman being changed into a monster. As I defeated the skull with the woman on the top i was stoked to see the final battle; the battle of love and revenge.

Though this battle took me forever to accomplish i was able to beat him surprisingly with only losing 2 lives, leaving me with just one remaining.

The scene of Dracula being slain was playing, and i couldn't have been more happier to do so. As the music started playing, i shouted towards my mother that i was able to beat him and restore his love and the peace of the world. My mother contempt at what she saw me complete, but still saddened at what i did at stage three (as a adult now i now know she was sad and wanted me to have the best ending).

But as the credit's rolled, i was only greeted with a picture of Richart staring at the village on horse back, alone and with no lover to be seen. I was confused and starting worrying on what happened. Was it something i did? Mother told me that i beat the game, but i never saved the two girls.

My heart sank.

My feeling of seeing Richart and his girlfriend being together was never going to happened. I started crying. The tears wouldn't stop and i was sobbing like i never had before. The pain of losing someone you sacrifice your safety of your life all went down in vain. It was a burden i still to this day, can't stop crying about for. It was at the moment when my mother wanted to help me in saving them; a second chance.

And that's where we started the strong moment in our bond as a child and mother. We stood up for day on end, trying to find the correct parts and finding every hidden item on the map. She even drew out a map for every level we adventured through and marked on the spots where the items were and where the paths lead to. And so we started what i thought at the was a two person wrecking crew. We were unstoppable. Every moment felt as if i was truly immersed in the game. I do the killing of the little guys, and she would kill the bosses. It was paradise to say the least.

And then finally reached the Trial stage, stage three; The Pillars. She showed me how to avoid the Medusa heads and break the large dragon heads in order to go over them. And she showed me where to find the key, the last candle before leaving the hall. She told me to never lose the key if i wanted to see the end. So i did by to do so, but most of the time i would accidentally pick up a knife or a cross from a candle. She would swoop up and grab the key for me. Clearly i was not fit to complete it, so i asked her to complete the stage for me. As time went on we arrived at the middle ground. This is where you can find both the girls,but to do so you needed a key to open their prison i found the first door, leading into the room with a little girl. My heart paced fast and my eyes starting to grow big.

I found the girl. But it wasn't over. If wanted to see the true ending i need to find the girlfriend. And so we continued. And as our journey continued, we stumble upon a platform flooded with water. We tried for at least 10 minutes to find a way through it. It was then she told me to crack the water flowing out. I attacked it and the water stopped almost an instant. It was time to save her.

As we fell down the steps we see one more door that needed to be opened. And there she was, the woman with the green dress from last time. I have found her; i have found the reason of his quest, and i have couldn't been happier. Now it was time to finish this once and for all. We fight on the clock tower and to my surprise it wasn't the skull, but Death. I never wanted to kill death more than i did at that moment; but he had the first laugh. Although it might have taken me a second shot i defeated him, i was till rather happy to kill him.

Now was Dracula. I was sadly not the one to beat him. It was my mother who did, but through every fire shot and and reappearance he conjured, i kept up and helped her out. As she striked down Dracula in his final form one last time i felt a huge weight being lifted off of my back. I...no, we bested Dracula, together.

And as the credit started i was happier than i could ever be to this

It one of the fantastic moments of my life, and i couldn't have done it any sooner if it wasn't for the help of my mother. Thank you, mother. You gave me a strong, powerful, yet small moment of happiness that will forever be played in my head until i draw my final breath. I have no one thank but you.

From your son, with hopes to seeing you when my borrowed time on this earth has dried up.
-Fernando

RIP 1970-2012

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
I'd imagine in this hypothetical world where every meteor became spikes, the game would be re-balanced for it
I think it would have to be built from the beginning with no cancelling in mind because while it would be relatively simple to balance everything around desired offstage effect, changing meteor kb strength would really change how they work when you hit grounded opponents.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Yo apparently Mango's girl got arrested for some hype ****. Melee Drama is so fun to follow. :^)
'

where have you been

melee hell has been ****posting about it for days

for those that dont know, the supposed story so far is that mango's girlfriend/baby momma, Lauren went out with PPMD's exgirlfriend, Ryan and got drunk and assaulted her because lauren though ryan was trying to get with Mango.

she was arrested is on 50k bail.

correct me if im wrong though.

Last edited:

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
Stupid **** done by people who also happen to be related to someone notable in some way isn't drama, it's just stupid **** with more attention.

Speaking of which, for the Pokemon nerds among us, Mew, a Pokemon that hasn't had an event since end gen 4/early gen 5 (iirc), is going to have an distribution event! That's GameStop exclusive...again...

Whyyyyyy

Shellfire

Smash Apprentice
He put should bail money up on the stream instead of lambo or whatever he uses now.

Last edited:

Jonyc128

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jonnyc64
I don't think he wants people talking about this, that's why he didn't have a cam or mic during his last stream. Can't imagine the kind of turmoil he's going through right now

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

HOLY ****ING ****

"MUH SHECKLES!!!!1111!"

yes

lets continue to actively request and seek sponsorship from a company that has done so little for the community throughout the lifetime of the community for **** that we cant even tangibly see or confirm.

a community that was initially grassroots and survived on its own, estranged from the fgc for YEARS; literally paving its own way in the competitive scene along side fighters that and lived AND died.

like i get that esports is a necessary evil as its basically required in order to pump enough money into the community to turn competitive smash into a viable profession which allows us to cherish what we love for a substantially long time and consume its content for over and over like regular sports fans

but seriously?

tf nintendo got to do with any of that ****?

what are they giving us? splatoon ads? some splatoon kiosks?

amiibos?

that's hot ****ing garbage.

the hush hush deals that are happening behind closed doors dont inspire confidence in any form and from our perspective it looks like our community is actively being hindered while being commercialized and no one on Nintys or TOs sides are doing anything to remedy that perception that's very clearly and obviously forming as a community public opinion.

and its ridiculous.

no im not entitled to answers but god damn it no one is entitled to silence from the endless ******** that's going to happen if no answers are given and nothing is done to remedy this growing issue.

like seriously **** esports my god

like im actually serious right now and i rarely ever mean **** esports.

im usually just being a stream monster.

but this **** is wack as ****

and there are people that will defend this ****; regardless of whether they have any clue of if their community they love and cherish so much is actively being improved or hindered.

like its nice to have faith but this is BLIND faith at this point.

looks like toph was right.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
lol Mr. Wizard being held up as a good TO

"you should thank big daddy nintendo for all that he has done for you and stop being so ungrateful"

wow I've never seen somebody so indoctrinated that they would drop a 350+ person tourney

or maybe it's just e$port$

melee is a business after all

maybe one day we'll be so lucky as to be able to buy mango jerseys in our local best buy

and the "focus on communities that have growth and support" lmao what the ****
are you saying that pm isn't growing? we just had our largest tourney ever like a month ago
are you saying that it's not supported? what do you think all of the TOs are doing out there busting their asses for? For nothing? Is that "no support?"

or do you just want games that have nintendo money smh
do you think third strike still gets capcom money? and yet why did cooperation cup 2016 just happen with 88 teams of 5 people each?

like I'm not even angry at them for dropping pm I'm angry at people for continuing this daddy kink nintendo rhetoric and that "we're dropping pm for the good of the scene"
if you're doing it for money say that you're goddamn doing it for money do you think your lies are placating anybody at this point?
Like I'll hate nintendo more than I'll hate the TOs if they're frank with it but goddamn just tell the damn truth about what you're doing

edit: lol GHNeko GHNeko came in with another rant while I was making my rambly rant but like seriously tho
**** esports

Last edited:

SunJester

Smash Ace
Is it seriously time for us to call these people out on their bull**** yet? PM is being ****ed over repeatedly and we haven't got a straight ****ing answer why. Its been years of this bull**** now, can we get a straight answer?

I want to know, in dollar amounts. How much PM is worth to these people.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
lol Mr. Wizard being held up as a good TO

"you should thank big daddy nintendo for all that he has done for you and stop being so ungrateful"

wow I've never seen somebody so indoctrinated that they would drop a 350+ person tourney

or maybe it's just e$port$

melee is a business after all

maybe one day we'll be so lucky as to be able to buy mango jerseys in our local best buy

and the "focus on communities that have growth and support" lmao what the ****
are you saying that pm isn't growing? we just had our largest tourney ever like a month ago
are you saying that it's not supported? what do you think all of the TOs are doing out there busting their ***** for? For nothing? Is that "no support?"

or do you just want games that have nintendo money smh
do you think third strike still gets capcom money? and yet why did cooperation cup 2016 just happen with 88 teams of 5 people each?

like I'm not even angry at them for dropping pm I'm angry at people for continuing this daddy kink nintendo rhetoric and that "we're dropping pm for the good of the scene"
if you're doing it for money say that you're goddamn doing it for money do you think your lies are placating anybody at this point?
Like I'll hate nintendo more than I'll hate the TOs if they're frank with it but goddamn just tell the damn truth about what you're doing

edit: lol GHNeko GHNeko came in with another rant while I was making my rambly rant but like seriously tho
**** esports
they cant look like shills in the public eyes of the community because their aware that how the community perceives them can impact their attendance and bottom line.

so they have to give generic as **** PR talk that is very articulate and succinct and totally sounds organic guys because they're serious about the community and its growth and they're having a "real talk" moment.

give me a ****ing break

SunJester

Smash Ace
Do you know what.

The real reason we'll never get an answer is because the real reason is ****.

They want more money. If they had any good excuse past that, they would have told us. Its all about them making more money.

"Growth", indeed.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
why do we still associate ourselves with the smash scene anyways

does counter-strike still associate themselves with half-life? nahhh

how long will it take people to realize that while pm was borne from the smash scene it is doing anything for us and will only actively harm us in the future

edit: inb4 "but exposure from the main smash scene is important!" "but we need to get smash4 players!" I mean yeah you can post on reddit and **** but on anywhere past a local level why do you expect any tourney where money starts to be a factor to ever care about project m when it's clear that nintendo/other tournaments repeatedly do not find that running pm along with mainline smash games makes sense

Last edited:

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman

Kreygasm.

4 the community.

Aka guilt people into giving me money.
You know, I try to avoid insults or cussing as a response to anything. I just want to make sure I can follow the logic to something or expose it for being faulty while keeping emotions to an minimum.

But I suppose that controversial announcements tied to a game you play far too much for your own good tend to get your blood boiling before you know it.

First off, what Neko said.

Secondly, what other reasons are there for not running PM anymore? You bring them up, so maybe mention them.

Thirdly, **** off. I don't know if it was you that brought up being hyped to be able to support PM with Paragon or if it was someone else for a different tournament, but if it's the former, **** right off, you money chasing liar, and just ****ing say it. You literally sold out a part of the community for the precious support of splatoon ads. If not, **** you regardless, you've still sold out, but can't be bothered to tell the truth or dispel what "lies" we might believe in by keeping radio silence. That's really ****ing trustworthy.

Also, what karp said.

EDIT:
Well, we could go that route, but part of the reason people enjoy PM (and Smash) is due nostalgia. I mean, we could change the characters to avoid any issues with Nintendo, but eh...

Just being our own community instead of part of one that actively tries to sell us out is pretty enticing, though.

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
also tbf paragon also probably dropped pm because the money they lost in sponsors for pm was made up by the pmdt donation drive

now that there's no pmdt there's no reason to hold out on sponsors because there's not anything better coming because the pmdt is being held under the weight of legal threats

we all knew it amounted to $$$$$$ but like it sucks to know that the disbanding of the pmdt is having direct effects on tournaments in this way

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
at this point i'd accept "nintendo sponsorship means they wont shut us down and we can work with other esports companies"

because that's not only honesty

but WE WOULD ALSO HAVE SOME REASON AS TO WHAT THE **** IS HAPPENING

Bleck

Smash Master
"how dare these people do work for money instead of for nothing" ~ children on the internet

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
"how dare these people do work for money instead of for nothing" ~ children on the internet
lol that's literally not what I said but try again

I said:

"I'm not ... angry at them for dropping pm ... if [they're] doing it for money."

I mean I'm not totally ambivalent about the idea, I'm still a little disgusted but still I understand where those TOs are coming from and that melee is a business

but pm is not a business and it never has been and those TOs are not my TOs and not a part of my scene and I hope I never have to rely on people who don't put the same price on this game as the rest of this community does to support our scene

Last edited:

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Edit: Whoa, minefield topic. Don't mind me, just asking a question.

Been messing around with some TAS stuff recently, just found out you can Perfect Pivot in both PM and Melee. It's a one frame window, so it's difficult, but it's definitely doable. Wanted to see if this is widely known or if there's anyone who uses it at all. From what I've tested, it's faster for most characters than wavedashing back by about 5 frames, which can make a difference in some situations. It's still obviously got the downsides Perfect Pivot inherently has, but I think it's at least interesting that it's even a thing that can be done. It's one of the only ATs that's doable in every Smash game there is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom