• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
argue the morals of it as you please, I'm arguing against the name. who in the fresh hell let the term "esports" live past 2000, and how easy would it be to throw various rotten foods at them

SunJester

Smash Ace
"eSports" is fine if the people running it remember that their scenes are fueled by the fans and without them they wouldn't exist.

Also I'm not sure someone can convince me that Brawl wasn't deliberately made to be as uncompetitive as possible. (On a tournament scale, inherently any game where two people play against each other is competitive)

Last edited:

Helsong

Smash Ace
..89% on my Autonomous Agents final. Which puts my grade average around an A- this semester. I'm disappointed in myself.

On the other hand, the kids I tutored did well on their final. One kid in particular managed a B+, which is really good for him. I'm kinda proud.

And now I get to relax for my brief break time, grind some PM, play Soul Calibur 5, and..
Oh wait I'm wasting my entire vacation in Japan with my relatives. ****ing great.
Who wants to come to Japan? Bring PM. You'll have to pay for yourself, though.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
PMS Pizza Party at G3?

I drink at least a gallon a day. I just didn't get enough sleep today though because I had to turn in a rental at the campus bookstore early today. Usually I make getting my 8 hours a top priority.

Edit: Have you taken Garcinia Cambogia? What's been your experience with it?

RISE ABOVE HATE

#CENATION
We'll see man we'll see.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
I'm legitimately considering of unsubscribing from r/ssbpm
it's gotten that bad

like seriously why can't project m have at least a not-**** subreddit or even better something closer to r/ssbm or r/mvc3

also ban psycho ghost

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
it's bad, because, it's reddit
no that's a smokescreen that takes away from the point that r/ssbpm is recognizably bad even for reddit

r/ssbpm has little to no actual content and has now just become the r/smashgifs submissions that are tagged with pm

and yes I know that all of the stickied theory thursday threads happen but frankly I think those are full of a lot more hot air than they are actual content
the weekly matchup threads are a step in the right direction however I feel like the simple nature of reddit makes trying to discuss matchups (especially when you take into account that most readers of the sub don't have significant high-level tourney experience with any of the characters discussed) pretty futile

out of 25 posts on the frontpage (not including stickied threads) 19 were gfycats or other posts that were either blatantly labeled as fluff or didn't actually discuss anything about the game/didn't show any sort of extended gameplay
that's over 75% of the posts being literal fluff

if you compare this to r/mvc3 only 3/25 of the posts are fluff, and none of them are vapid <10 second gfycats

mod team pls

ban gfycat posts please
encourage longform theorycrafting
encourage technical questions about gameplay
encourage the posting of full sets
encourage tournament/results analysis

r/ssbpm has 5k more readers than r/ssbm and almost 20k more than r/mvc3
why is it this hard to get fresh quality content when these small subs don't seem to have an issue doing it

even if it results in the number of subscribers being halved it'd be for the better
(actually getting rid of the passive/toxic subscribers might be a good idea)

PMS | Tink-er PMS | Tink-er Mansta Mansta @SOJ @Warchamp7 @Lunchables @Strong Bad

Last edited:

wiztick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xhudayoloswagx
because more good content is better places is never a bad thing

also because the presence of reddit in pm's life and current state is rather large and I'd rather have that presence be not ****
you're asking for a community to not be ****...thats kinda hard.

Player -0

Smash Hero
And now I get to relax for my brief break time, grind some PM, play Soul Calibur 5, and..
Oh wait I'm wasting my entire vacation in Japan with my relatives. ****ing great.
JUST P:M?

I thought I was hearing other games getting the love a few pages ago.

One day someone's going to mention if anyone wants to go somewhere as a joke and I'll be there. Just you wait.

Shhh. It's okay if you happen to have a suitcase that's already paid for and under your name. Nothing suspicious about that.

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
because more good content is better places is never a bad thing

also because the presence of reddit in pm's life and current state is rather large and I'd rather have that presence be not ****
it's also rather inaccurate and based on the initial reactions of reddit to just about any decision made regarding that subreddit (including "we should remove any pmdt from being mods there because the pmdt disbanded, it's the community's subreddit now"), it's better off here.

it's not a better place at all. it has more people, but if i'm being perfectly honest, i'd rather see character guides on anther's ladder than reddit by far.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
it's also rather inaccurate and based on the initial reactions of reddit to just about any decision made regarding that subreddit (including "we should remove any pmdt from being mods there because the pmdt disbanded, it's the community's subreddit now"), it's better off here.

it's not a better place at all. it has more people, but if i'm being perfectly honest, i'd rather see character guides on anther's ladder than reddit by far.
I don't give a flying **** what vocal ****lords think

reddit is not an open forum and lends itself to rule by oligarchy more than it does by democracy and people often have a hard time determining the difference between loud reddit monsters and what everyone actually thinks

to quote harold chen "this is not an open forum idgaf what people think"

as for arguing about the actual relevance of reddit or not
there's literally no downside to the quality of r/ssbpm being higher nobody will lose anything if the sub is better
sure some people might lose some of their precious internet points at being able to post gfycats but that's not relevant in the slightest

Helsong

Smash Ace
JUST P:M?

I thought I was hearing other games getting the love a few pages ago.

One day someone's going to mention if anyone wants to go somewhere as a joke and I'll be there. Just you wait.

Shhh. It's okay if you happen to have a suitcase that's already paid for and under your name. Nothing suspicious about that.
I mentioned PM because this is a PM thread and because I've never actually seen anyone else but me here profess a love for Soul Calibur. I think Gamegenie222 Gamegenie222 talked about it a bit in the past.

Can you fit in a suitcase? You're like 5 or something right?

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
You bring up very good points, I personally would like to see more full sets and discussion than gfycats of how awesome the combo they did was.

I wouldn't know how to start going about making rules and writing up the explanations to the sub, I'm awful at that. The other mods actually do ****, I just fix CSS stuff for the sub and meme on everything because I only recently started.

Last edited:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
/r/SSBPM could use a sister subreddit for gfycats, or be like /r/PCMR where you can filter submissions by flair.

I do agree that there are too many gfycats.

Though ultimately, I wish for discussion to be consolidated here on smashboards because too much division is a bad thing.

It more of a pain in the ass to find your local scene now than before FB groups took over;

and now legitimate discussion is being split between FB Groups, subreddits, and smashboards.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
like prog has talked about it before

but the vast majority of the entire smash scene stopped using smashboards around 2010/2011

I would love for smashboards to be where all the discussion takes place but

people just don't use it

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
I don't give a flying **** what vocal ****lords think

reddit is not an open forum and lends itself to rule by oligarchy more than it does by democracy and people often have a hard time determining the difference between loud reddit monsters and what everyone actually thinks

to quote harold chen "this is not an open forum idgaf what people think"

as for arguing about the actual relevance of reddit or not
there's literally no downside to the quality of r/ssbpm being higher nobody will lose anything if the sub is better
sure some people might lose some of their precious internet points at being able to post gfycats but that's not relevant in the slightest
to clarify, i'm not saying i don't think it's possible or anything. i'm saying that if the mod team were to do something about gfycats it would actually split that community wide open. gfycats are basically what they're hinging on to stay alive and it's their thing. if the mods restrict it, they're not going to react well.

i do agree that encouraging people to make content for reddit is a good idea because it's a huge field of people that don't necessarily come to smashboards. going about it, as Mansta Mansta said, is the hard part, because really, that comes down to people having the capacity to do things themselves.

but the vast majority of the entire smash scene stopped using smashboards around 2010/2011

people just don't use it
ironically it's been most of pm's discussion of tiers and character development, in addition to messaging programs, for quite some time now.

Last edited:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko

people just don't use it
yeah i understand that much.

its just not particularly healthy for the community to have so many avenues of discussion with so little organization and crossposting.

PM is deff a game that stands to lose from having discussion divided over 30 places on the internet.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I mentioned PM because this is a PM thread and because I've never actually seen anyone else but me here profess a love for Soul Calibur. I think Gamegenie222 Gamegenie222 talked about it a bit in the past.

Can you fit in a suitcase? You're like 5 or something right?
Yes this is correct but mostly because I played Calibur competitively in the past mainly V when it dropped to the end of 2013 then I started to focus on smash again.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Change Japan to Germany and PM to Shaq Fu and you got yourself a deal.

We'll see man we'll see.
Honestly I'm down for whatever. I know I'm going to drink alot so I'm down to adventure around.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
who'd you play
Raphael who is Low tier in every game and Soul 2 in which he debut is arguable bottom of mid tier and Lizardman(Aeon) in V who was a mid tier who became top tier on his stage cause of his ringout potential and who had alot of moves from Spawn in Soul 2 Xbox version and HD online and Kratos from the PSP version of IV. It's kinda implied that Lizardman ate Kratos before the events of V which allows to to sprout wings and fly.

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
PM is deff a game that stands to lose from having discussion divided over 30 places on the internet.
this is actually not something that I really see

I think of reddit and smashboards as two discussion platforms that are used to discuss different things in different fashions

on reddit I can share a vod of a certain tournament match and then be assured that all the comments on it are going to pertain to it and that people can/will have a discussion in the comments about that match

on smashboards a single vod wouldn't warrant its own thread and posting it in the social thread might garner one or two responses before it goes to the next page. posting it in the tier list speculation thread might get a few more responses but still not the level of back-and-forth in depth that reddit threads can give you

a question you may ask is why the **** I'm posting about the subreddit on smashboards rather than reddit itself
1. I'm far more well-known here and my reddit username isn't even the same as this one, leading people to think that I'm probably just some rando
2. smashboards can kind of serve as a fast track to the admins without the circlejerk of reddit getting in the way of communicating
3. any post that's not a gfycat regularly gets far fewer upvotes and less visibility on the subreddit so I feel like posting there is a lost cause

that being said, I still should post something to the subreddit if I'm actually going to be serious about trying to change it

or maybe I'll bugger off and make my own subreddit

Bazkip

Smash Master
Smash Direct tomorrow and apparently stuff has already been datamined.

Not looking forwards to finding out what it is. I've just got this sinking feeling that it'll be "Lyn/Knuckles is coming to Smash!" and then we'll know our favourite game had to die for ****ing DLC.

:urg:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
I'm looking forward to smash 4 being a dead game

edit: actually no I don't, I don't care about smash 4 that much. what I'm actually looking forward to is for nintendo to stop monopolizing the platform fighter scene which will happen once all smash development ceases

Last edited:
Top Bottom