• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
or maybe I'll bugger off and make my own subreddit
which is the current reactionary response if our pm subreddit mods make any sort of changes that strongly affect the reddit community outside of giving them control at the moment, and will likely only make things worse.

i'll admit we don't talk about tournaments in-depth here and that's sort of bugged me for a while because there have been tournament threads in essentially most if not all other games in the past and even now. it's kind of a significant subject to discuss, considering our ruleset gripes and the like.

but i still maintain the premise that reddit is a double-edged sword and doing something about the gfycats will actually make things impossible, so the better idea is simply to encourage better content.

zen-bz-

I'm having a main identity crisis.
NNID
Valkauv
Yo everyone's going ****ing crazy right now. Leak for Sm4sh is about to happen.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
which is the current reactionary response if our pm subreddit mods make any sort of changes that strongly affect the reddit community outside of giving them control at the moment, and will likely only make things worse.

i'll admit we don't talk about tournaments in-depth here and that's sort of bugged me for a while because there have been tournament threads in essentially most if not all other games in the past and even now. it's kind of a significant subject to discuss, considering our ruleset gripes and the like.

but i still maintain the premise that reddit is a double-edged sword and doing something about the gfycats will actually make things impossible, so the better idea is simply to encourage better content.
I still think you're giving too much credit to reddit monsters and too little credit to the sheer apathy of most of the readers of the sub who will continue to do nothing but passively upvote things even if the sub is drastically changed and gfycats are outlawed

also I don't think you realize that even if the sub loses more than half of its subscribers but has much better content that I would consider that a win-win

also my unpopular opinion is that the constant crossposting of pm gifs by brewster to the main smashbros subreddit might have drawn in some new blood but is also one of the contributing factors to why the sub is currently so bad

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Why would I care about spoilers for a game I don't play?

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
I still think you're giving too much credit to reddit monsters and too little credit to the sheer apathy of most of the readers of the sub who will continue to do nothing but passively upvote things even if the sub is drastically changed and gfycats are outlawed

also I don't think you realize that even if the sub loses more than half of its subscribers but has much better content that I would consider that a win-win

also my unpopular opinion is that the constant crossposting of pm gifs by brewster to the main smashbros subreddit might have drawn in some new blood but is also one of the contributing factors to why the sub is currently so bad
i'm of the unpopular opinion that r/smashbros reinforcing the reddit monsters' approach to everything that went on immediately following pm's cessation of development to a larger audience is part of the whole reason we're in such a **** situation

i also still disagree. if someone's screaming in your ear about something, you're not just going to sit there and ignore it. ignoring it means you're just going to go deaf. whether or not the whole community feels that way is an entirely separate problem from the people who are actively trying to cause trouble with that kind of mentality.

if the sub loses over half of its subscribers it's most certainly a lose-lose; if you consider reddit to be the more valuable community to pm right now. if nobody's viewing the content, then there's no ****ing point in making it in the first place.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Helsong Helsong EIGHT. IT'S EIGHT.

A little more than eight and a tenth but
EIGHT!

I'm sure I could manage the space.

I feel like Lyn/Knuckles won't be DLC but idk. There are other characters that would take higher priority.

also mum is mean

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
i'm of the unpopular opinion that r/smashbros reinforcing the reddit monsters' approach to everything that went on immediately following pm's cessation of development to a larger audience is part of the whole reason we're in such a **** situation

i also still disagree. if someone's screaming in your ear about something, you're not just going to sit there and ignore it. ignoring it means you're just going to go deaf. whether or not the whole community feels that way is an entirely separate problem from the people who are actively trying to cause trouble with that kind of mentality.

if the sub loses over half of its subscribers it's most certainly a lose-lose; if you consider reddit to be the more valuable community to pm right now. if nobody's viewing the content, then there's no ****ing point in making it in the first place.
I think it would be a win-win because the people that would leave would be those who don't play the game or only play it casually, thus not actually important to the competitive scene

having an active subreddit of 10k competitive players that produces good content isn't that hard of a concept to understand, it's just that r/ssbpm is so far from that right now

and yeah I agree with you about r/smashbros and I didn't think that was an unpopular opinion in the slightest

before smash4 came out r/smashbros ran a sub-wide poll and one of the questions was "how many tournaments have you gone to" and the slight majority of the sub answered "zero"
I can only assume that the main sub has gotten worse since the release of smash4

Helsong

Smash Ace
what I'm actually looking forward to is for nintendo to stop monopolizing the platform fighter scene which will happen once all smash development ceases
Nintendo isn't really monopolizing, it's just that no one bothers to compete or develop for that genre up until recently. The past notable one(PSABR) aped the mascot fighter part of Smash instead of the surprisingly deep platform fighter part of smash. And it wasn't until the past two years or so that the potential of platform fighters as a proper fighting game genre actually became apparent to the mainstream gaming audience.

We don't need Nintendo to stop developing Smash, we need other people to actually bother looking into it. Ideally people with money for marketing and willingness to take risks.

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
Nintendo isn't really monopolizing, it's just that no one bothers to compete or develop for that genre up until recently. The past notable one(PSABR) aped the mascot fighter part of Smash instead of the surprisingly deep platform fighter part of smash. And it wasn't until the past two years or so that the potential of platform fighters as a proper fighting game genre actually became apparent to the mainstream gaming audience.

We don't need Nintendo to stop developing Smash, we need other people to actually bother looking into it. Ideally people with money for marketing and willingness to take risks.
it's really funny because i thought you were going to bring up roa

then i realize people have forgotten roa rather quickly as though it was simply a fad or something, twitch doesn't even have streams for it much anymore

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again

but if the actual competitive scene for it is going to be dominated by melee and smash4 it will scare devs away from it or at least until a few years hence
any major platform fighter is usually labeled as a smash clone which is usually never a good thing

not to mention the actual degeneracy of the smash scene itself with one half being the kind of people who mindlessly lap up nintendo games for the sake of them being the newest produced by nintendo and the other half being the kind of people who will never change from melee

I don't have much hope for a competitive non-nintendo/non-melee platform fighter released within the next three years simply because nobody will play it

also you can't market to the fgc unless it's made by capcom

honestly marketing a platform fighter to the pm scene/anime fighter scene might be the only way to get it to succeed without the death of smash4 and a windfall of smash4 players with no game to play

zen-bz-

I'm having a main identity crisis.
NNID
Valkauv
I just wanna go on r/tf2
But NOOOOOOOO
These people keep spamming f5 and now Reddit's "down for maintenance"

Helsong

Smash Ace
it's really funny because i thought you were going to bring up roa

then i realize people have forgotten roa rather quickly as though it was simply a fad or something, twitch doesn't even have streams for it much anymore
Me not mentioning RoA was entirely on purpose-like I said, a dev with money to spend on marketing. RoA devs are indie, and unfortunately can't throw enough money at marketing it to make RoA really popular.

but if the actual competitive scene for it is going to be dominated by melee and smash4 it will scare devs away from it or at least until a few years hence
any major platform fighter is usually labeled as a smash clone which is usually never a good thing

not to mention the actual degeneracy of the smash scene itself with one half being the kind of people who mindlessly lap up nintendo games for the sake of them being the newest produced by nintendo and the other half being the kind of people who will never change from melee

I don't have much hope for a competitive non-nintendo/non-melee platform fighter released within the next three years simply because nobody will play it

also you can't market to the fgc unless it's made by capcom

honestly marketing a platform fighter to the pm scene/anime fighter scene might be the only way to get it to succeed without the death of smash4 and a windfall of smash4 players with no game to play
If the competitive scene is dominated by Melee and Smash4, then that's more the fault of the industry simply not wanting to compete in that field. I don't see why Nintendo needs to stop making games in order for other people to have successful games. The presence of Nintendo fanboys hasn't stopped other gaming companies from doing well, for that matter.

I do agree that it's very unlikely for a platform fighter to succeed currently while Melee and Smash4 are growing, but that's really only temporary. I think it is possible in the current market, but you'd need a AAA studio with a willingness to take risks...and that's a total damn oxymoron. But you spruce something up and market it enough, people will buy it, regardless of quality or even genre, in some cases. More than that, someone needs to make something with more than just Melee's tech. Implement some of it, but build something more on top of it, innovate. But like you said, this is pretty unlikely right now.

As an aside, I'm not entirely sure Melee will continue it's current surge anyway. Players will get burnt out by constant tournaments(already happening) and the hype from a solely spectator standpoint won't last forever. It's going to settle down pretty soon, I think. We could see a new Platform Fighter IP get announced within the next year and do well. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
Me not mentioning RoA was entirely on purpose-like I said, a dev with money to spend on marketing. RoA devs are indie, and unfortunately can't throw enough money at marketing it to make RoA really popular.

If the competitive scene is dominated by Melee and Smash4, then that's more the fault of the industry simply not wanting to compete in that field. I don't see why Nintendo needs to stop making games in order for other people to have successful games.
I do agree that it's very unlikely for a platform fighter to succeed currently while Melee and Smash4 are growing, but that's really only temporary. I think it is possible in the current market, but you'd need a AAA studio with a willingness to take risks...and that's a total damn oxymoron.
yeah you answered your own question the way I was going to

like the only people I see developing a new platform fighter IP would be small indie studios, who would be affected by the market forces of nintendo

on one hand, a large developer might look at the "esports" success of melee and think to themselves "I could do better than that" and try to make a platform fighting game
on the other hand, all of the studios who have experience making fighting games are already making traditional fighters and realize they could never sell a platform fighter to that audience, all other major studios would look at smash and see it more as a franchise tie-in game that just tries to print money and then look at the failure of psasbr and conclude that nintendo has the market cornered, or they would just look further afield into esports land and try to make a moba

which is why the only hope for platform fighters comes from indie devs like rivals of aether
or we miraculously get a platform fighter equivalent of skullgirls

and even given those, there's no guarantee there'd be a healthy competitive scene because a whole lot more goes into that than simply the quality of the game

Helsong

Smash Ace
yeah you answered your own question the way I was going to

like the only people I see developing a new platform fighter IP would be small indie studios, who would be affected by the market forces of nintendo

on one hand, a large developer might look at the "esports" success of melee and think to themselves "I could do better than that" and try to make a platform fighting game
on the other hand, all of the studios who have experience making fighting games are already making traditional fighters and realize they could never sell a platform fighter to that audience, all other major studios would look at smash and see it more as a franchise tie-in game that just tries to print money and then look at the failure of psasbr and conclude that nintendo has the market cornered, or they would just look further afield into esports land and try to make a moba

which is why the only hope for platform fighters comes from indie devs like rivals of aether
or we miraculously get a platform fighter equivalent of skullgirls

and even given those, there's no guarantee there'd be a healthy competitive scene because a whole lot more goes into that than simply the quality of the game
To quote the text under your nametag: "yahh".

Honestly RoA could get a competitive scene going on a larger scale, the players would need to start setting up tournaments and build as much as possible. I can't speak for other communities at all, but at least in my local scene, people talked about it at first, some people played it online for a month or so....and then everyone just kinda forgot about it and went on playing Smash4/Melee/PM.

But I'm just gonna be idealistic and imagine a world in which people will quit letting nostalgia and hype decide the majority of their preferences and learn to love a good thing regardless of who makes it.

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
Super Waifu Fighter <insert multiple suffixes here>, yea.
super waifu faiter supreme platform tournament edition

To quote the text under your nametag: "yahh".

Honestly RoA could get a competitive scene going on a larger scale, the players would need to start setting up tournaments and build as much as possible. I can't speak for other communities at all, but at least in my local scene, people talked about it at first, some people played it online for a month or so....and then everyone just kinda forgot about it and went on playing Smash4/Melee/PM.

But I'm just gonna be idealistic and imagine a world in which people will quit letting nostalgia and hype decide the majority of their preferences and learn to love a good thing regardless of who makes it.
the issue with rivals is that
1. its eight-bit graphics are nice but honestly it's not 2009 anymore and anything eight-bit just screams "poverty indie game" it's no longer cute it's just cliche
2. being a pc exclusive is almost a kiss of death for fighting games because a. there are no ubiquitous hardware standards that you can develop for, b. setting it up is universally finnicky and frustrating, c. you have to set it up at every tournament, d. the cost of a pc is a lot higher and a much larger barrier to entry, e. a tournament full of personal pc setups is a nightmare logistically, the only pc-only tournaments I've seen have been melty blood tournaments in which the scene is so small everyone so everyone knows how janky getting everything set up is
3. it frankly doesn't have the depth melee does

Bleck

Smash Master
making a New Melee would be dumb because
a) wouldn't be able to use Gamecube controllers
b) if you change anything balance-wise, Melee purists will stick with Melee
c) if you don't change anything, you won't get anyone who isn't a Melee purist to play it because the Melee metagame is only really sustained by powerful nostalgia groupthink, and you probably won't recuperate development costs

it's basically a fruitless endeavor

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I'm reading the Smash 4 forums.

Why are people still arguging about allowing customs and miis?

It's been a year already and EVO was custom enabled and yet these things are still being argued lol.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
goddamn, i bought me some new speakers, adn im hearing sounds in my music i didnt even know were there

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
>tfw I hear through a grapevine that Tails will be announced in the direct.

[Sweating intensifies]

Oh god if that happens I'll HAVE to play smash 4 competitively.

I only play it casually because of Megaman.

Tails would be too much to resist.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
that was a joke about tails being in smash

the sonic fanbase is widely known and lampooned for its propensity towards rule 34 art with beastiality themes

sonicfox is the world's best mortal kombat x player

who also happens to be a furry

Top Bottom