• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Bleck

Smash Master
Biologically, what's your opinion on gender?
doesn't exist; it's purely a sociological concept

It obviously plays a huge part in our language which could definitely do with some fixing now that we know the binary model of gender is outdated,
there are actually more languages that have no grammatical gender than there are that do, iirc - at the very least it's somewhat equal

but I thought that more recent studies were suggesting that there was a biological component component to gender
as far as I know, they're studies that support an idea in the usual psychology way, where they substitute actual demonstrative schemata for conclusions drawn from statistical links - in other words, there are studies that show a link between certain biological constructs and gender dysphoria, but these are essentially irrelevant until objective cause and effect can actually be observed

basically a huge chunk of psychology is actual bull****, and I say this as a former psychology major

Basically what I'm trying to get at is, gender may be a lot more complicated than we currently think it is, so I'd love to hear your take on it.
even if gender was something based on physical body mapping leading to erroneous subconscious expectation, it would still imply that gender was biologically intended to be a binary system, in which case it cancels itself out and essentially reverts itself back to just sex instead of sex/gender

this is basically one of those times where the science doesn't actually matter - either they prove that gender is a binary construct (implicitly making it meaningless in a socially progressive setting), or they prove that gender has nothing to do with sex (implicitly making it meaningless in a socially progressive setting)

did you ever get your dolphin netplay working?
haven't actually tried yet, been busy with work, and even then I'll probably wait until after the tourney this sunday to inspire myself to actually practice again

Last edited:

SunJester

Smash Ace
I didn't really like my second psych teacher (she was a bad teacher, basically) but I did like one thing she said.

Why are people trying to prove things like a "gay gene"? I can understand where people are coming from where they want to be validated by something utterly out of anyone's control, but, as a society can we collectively agree it doesn't matter?

You shouldn't have to justify yourself to other people.

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
For the sake of knowledge?

It's not wrong to question and/or try to answer why things are the way they are.

Maybe the answer to that question doesn't matter, but... hey I'm curious.

SunJester

Smash Ace
For the sake of knowledge?

It's not wrong to question and/or try to answer why things are the way they are.

Maybe the answer to that question doesn't matter, but... hey I'm curious.
Sure, I can agree with this. Until we get terminal illnesses mapped out and genetic defects and other stuff sure.

I just think right now its a waste of time to try and find something that doesn't need to be found.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Not this crap again.

If you can honestly tell me with a straight face that you're gender neutral - that men and women are essentially the same with minimal biological differences, with most of our behavioral differences being a result of societal or environmental factors only - then you have the pleasure of traveling to any developed country outside of North America, especially those in Europe, and asking the people there if they feel cheated or suppressed from being able to behave the same way as their opposite sex.

Reading about this whole "gender is a tool of repression" strikes me quite distinctly as horse****, especially laughable considering as the West has increasingly moved towards a more gender-equal society, happiness levels have dropped to the lowest they've been in American history, with women being significantly unhappier then they were 40 years ago. Divorce rates have been through the roof to the point where kids practically play parent to their parents now, and social media has given the sexes a perfect outlet to express the animosity they feel towards each other.

It's cute concept, but has it ever actually occurred to these gender revolutionaries that many women out there genuinely like acting feminine, and many men genuinely like to act masculine? Not because society forces this upon them but because over the course of several thousand years, humans have found the opposite sex respond well to them when they act a certain way, so they chose to act like that?

Last edited:

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
On a way less serious note about the same topic because you're all arguing over the semantics of something trendy at the moment, there are some people out there who get offended by medical questionnaires that ask for what gender/sex you are.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
You guys are so dumb. You're all wasting your time debating something as trivial as gender identity when there are REAL issues to talk about:

Like, how could WWE screw this up so bad? I demand blood.

I'm still debating on If im going to Genesis from this seasonal work I have going on right now. Lack of PM is ughh but all those Japanese players for smash 4 coming is pretty hype.
I still owe people ice cream but idk if I'm going to Genesis
GO you nerds. I need witnesses when I body Meiling like the Larry Bird of Brawl/PM that I am.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Finally marathon'd it, and man, Parasyte made me feel warmer than it had any right to.
Murano pls

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
If you can honestly tell me with a straight face that you're gender neutral - that men and women are essentially the same with minimal biological differences, with most of our behavioral differences being a result of societal or environmental factors only - then you have the pleasure of traveling to any developed country outside of North America, especially those in Europe, and asking the people there if they feel cheated or suppressed from being able to behave the same way as their opposite sex.
this whole paragraph is a single sentence that doesn't make any sense

Reading about this whole "gender is a tool of repression" strikes me quite distinctly as horse****, especially laughable considering as the West has increasingly moved towards a more gender-equal society, happiness levels have dropped to the lowest they've been in American history, with women being significantly unhappier then they were 40 years ago.
so, your argument here is that, because sexism is objectively nonexistent in today's society, women must therefore be irrationally incapable of determining their own feelings about their lives

I'm hoping I don't have to explain how that's not only idiotic but sort of emblematic of the reason why women are often unhappy

Divorce rates have been through the roof to the point where kids practically play parent to their parents now, and social media has given the sexes a perfect outlet to express the animosity they feel towards each other.
I'm not sure what divorce rates have to do with gender

It's cute concept, but has it ever actually occurred to these gender revolutionaries that many women out there genuinely like acting feminine, and many men genuinely like to act masculine? Not because society forces this upon them but because over the course of several thousand years, humans have found the opposite sex respond well to them when they act a certain way, so they chose to act like that?
the concepts of femininity and masculinity don't actually exist, and the problem that makes this topic so irritating to deal with is that it's really hard to explain that to people like you without implying that you're stupid, because it's not exactly ****in' rocket science

there's a logical fallacy called ~circular logic~ - if you know that this fallacy exists, then you should know that gender concepts aren't real

if you haven't figured this out already, maybe try actually thinking about it before you respond - take your time, I can wait

~Dad~

part time gay dad
I'm only stopping by because I woke up 5 hours before my first class, I'll disappear again soon.

Vashimus

Smash Master
so, your argument here is that, because sexism is objectively nonexistent in today's society, women must therefore be irrationally incapable of determining their own feelings about their lives

I'm hoping I don't have to explain how that's not only idiotic but sort of emblematic of the reason why women are often unhappy
No, the problem is when a gender-neutral society simply assumes that a male lifestyle is perfectly and equally ideal for every woman and vice versa, individual tastes and skill sets be damned. Certainly the sexes don't have any natural interests or specialities that make them better suited for certain things than others. Clearly every woman wants to build empires, lead armies, discover new technologies and branches of science, and ultimately lead lives of contribution and prestige, and they're certainly in a better position to do so then ever before. But has no one thought that maybe that doesn't really do it for a lot women, and they may be perfectly content with that? So women who pursue those avenues can being praised to the moon while the rest can be panned for "conforming" to a gender role, which we already see today?

the concepts of femininity and masculinity don't actually exist, and the problem that makes this topic so irritating to deal with is that it's really hard to explain that to people like you without implying that you're stupid, because it's not exactly ****in' rocket science
You can't accept the fact that men and women are biologically different yet at the same time think that those differences don't impact our psychology and behavior in any way. Our brains are different, our hormone levels are different, our biochemistry and sizes are different, and therefore our preferences and skill sets are also going to be different. it's far more intellectually honest to acknowledge these differences and embrace it rather than trying to ignore or flat out deny them. Unless your line of thinking is that masculinity and femininity are not important at all in human relationships and society, and therefore don't exist, then I can't understand where you're coming from.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
No, the problem is when a gender-neutral society simply assumes that a male lifestyle is perfectly and equally ideal for every woman and vice versa, individual tastes and skill sets be damned.
i think you have a misunderstading of gender neutral... gender neutral wouldn't imply "everything is male", it implies "nothing needs to be inherently male or female." if it were the former, it wouldn't be neutral, it would be male.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I'm pretty sure I'm the biggest nerd here tbh.

SunJester

Smash Ace
I'm sure biology does have an impact on our personalities and stuff, but its very unclear how much it does. In my humble opinion, its the interaction between our genes and social atmosphere (with the social part having a much heavier influence) that decides our personality.

At the end of the day telling women (XX chromosomes) that they should act, or dress a certain way is so incredibly stupid. Sure 99% of women can be what society deems a "normal" woman, but that doesn't mean we should impose some stupid ****ing rules on them to tell them how to act and dress. An XX wants to dress in flannel and work on trucks, who gives a flying ****? Let people be who they want to be.

The end of this debate is this: You do NOT have dominion over another person's life. They have the right to be who they want to be, even if it doesn't fit your values. A transgender person does not effect me in any way, they are not hurting me in any way. I do not give a **** what they do as long as they are kind to other people.

If "SJW bull****" is letting people be themselves and not claiming my way of living is superior then I'm the biggest ****ing SJW ever.

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
So I let my brother play my Fire Emblem on the GBA, and let's just say he has a great taste in green hair waifus.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
So I started watching One Punch Man, but I think there's something wrong with the site I found... I just seem to see a video of Grey Belnades Grey Belnades instead???

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
On a way less serious note about the same topic because you're all arguing over the semantics of something trendy at the moment, there are some people out there who get offended by medical questionnaires that ask for what gender/sex you are.
What can you say man? Some people are just so shortsighted and pissed at factors nobody gave a **** about in the first place that they refuse to attribute their constant unhappiness to their own self-bred environment, along with tossing any consideration toward their past social/lifestyle choices out the window. It's total bull****, and has resulted in a society that refuses to acknowledge diversity beyond the scapegoats they need to live their fantasies of helping a greater cause while at the same time disillusioning people toward their sense of self-worth as a personality within the known norms of our conception and situations.

Summary: I need some coffee and some jazz before I'm aloud to talk again. I'm tired, and thinking about these vicious circles hurts mah brain right now.

Edit: drakargx drakargx , good on you for valuing yourself as your own human being, and good wishes on that new transportation you're planning for!
(It's nice to see someone stand up for their well-being in the face of that damned "we brought you into this world"-reasoning.)

Last edited:

drakargx

Smash Journeyman
I just received a windfall today

Already spent 1 hour talking to parents about how just because they put me in this world doesn't mean I owe them anything

For some reason I saw this coming but didn't prepare a better argument then just "no i wont, not now at least"

On the plus I can get a car now, so after I get a license I no long will be reliant on others for car rides, which is epic because if I have to wait for someone this winter to pick me up from my night classes again I'm going to contemplate being salty

Protip: don't let anyone near you know any upcoming windfalls. I thought it was okay to tell my family and 2 best friends, but I'm starting to regret it. Just a bit sad that I'm regretting it because of my family.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
I just received a windfall today

Already spent 1 hour talking to parents about how just because they put me in this world doesn't mean I owe them anything

For some reason I saw this coming but didn't prepare a better argument then just "no i wont, not now at least"

On the plus I can get a car now, so after I get a license I no long will be reliant on others for car rides, which is epic because if I have to wait for someone this winter to pick me up from my night classes again I'm going to contemplate being salty

Protip: don't let anyone near you know any upcoming windfalls. I thought it was okay to tell my family and 2 best friends, but I'm starting to regret it. Just a bit sad that I'm regretting it because of my family.
That's the worse ;x

Top Bottom