• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

9Kplus1

Smash Master
with that in mind, what should you do to start getting into serious pokemon? i mean what's the competitive scene about? just curious
Play a lot and lose to as many players as you can. One very important aspect of competitive Pokemon is planning ahead (interpret that however you'd like, but I'm referring to mid-match) and without a strong knowledge of the current metagame--which Pokemon / cores are dominant, and what players are doing to adapt--that's going to be hard to do. With that knowledge in mind, you'll be able to more effectively analyze situations and develop a plan to gain (or regain!) momentum. Moreover, I've seen quite a few players halt their own progress by obsessing over their [few] wins. It's healthy to give yourself a pat on the back every now and then, but if you'd like to actually be good at Pokemon, always maintain an open, hungry mind.

Lastly, don't be intimidated by the community. The second you make an account on any competitive Pokemon site, take a gander at what's considered to be, at least, acceptable posting, and get to chattin! You won't be able to learn this game via lurking -3-

I'm barely scratching competitive Pokemon myself, but the biggest upfront entry fee is team building. It may be good advice to straight up copy off a commonly chosen team and read up why that composition is good. This is a good way to get yourself familiar with every facet of team building whether it's typing both defensively and offensively, different roles for Pokemon, movepools, and synergy in teams.

I could be completely wrong on this, but that's the impression I've been getting as I've been learning about Pokemon.
I personally think that this is good advice if you want to quickly gain some momentum in picking up competitive Pokemon. However, a roadblock that can come with this option is analyzing how the team is [to be] used; simply put, because the team is not a creation of your own, you likely won't feel comfortable with [using] it and could miss the entire premise.

Competitive Pokemon fan?
Play it here http://pokemonshowdown.com/
Ehhhh, this is probably the elitist-tourney-wannabe-prick in me talking, but I prefer PO for the competitive experience. The PO community is much less populated, but that only makes it more likely to run into a smart player; seriously, I've lost count of how many times I'd won a ladder match by some random just... playing badly. I've yet to run into a PO player who, despite having a Nattorei, Lando-T, and Rotom-W available, leaves their Mega Luke in on a 95% Hippowdon and SD's (yeah, misclicks are a thing, but situations like these are commonplace among high- and low-ranked ladder players alike 9.9) of all things.

Quick Fighting-types like Terrakion, Keldeo, Infernape and Mienshao (the latter two don't die to +2 Sucker Punch despite their frailty) can handle Mega Kanga easily. The problem is they're all susceptible to Sticky Web, which Mega Kanga is usually accompanied with.
Eh, you can make that argument for every top offensivemon. Specs Keldeo does well with Sticky Web support; Azumarill and Mega Mawile work especially well with Stick Web support; every Dragon Dancer is much harder to revenge kill with Sticky Web support (imo, their expansive movepools are comparable to PuP, as they all can easily force switches and use that opportunity to set up). Similarly, it's possible to argue that paralysis support is just as good as a result of Sticky Web's poor distribution and the high utility of Rapid Spin / Defog. Mega Kangaskhan's biggest weakness is being either too slow or too weak before Mega Evolving; the opposition has a much easier time locking down Kangaskhan's available options and pressuring it. As I'd mentioned, planning ahead is a very important part of Pokemon. Don't give Mega Kangaskhan the opportunity to get too much momentum, and it won't be much of a problem.

We're still in this 'shiny new thing' phase, in which the general opinion for now is that things such as Talonflame and Greninja are "top tier". There just hasn't been enough time for players to adapt to the thought of another strong threat. Remember the good ol' days, when people were genuinely willing to suspect things like Dragonite and Rankurusu? While Mega Kangaskhan plays much differently than the two, it's being handled by the community in pretty much the same way.

Oh yeah and SupportKang is pretty nice. My only concern with it is how easy it is to wear down; the Protect nerf (ironically) makes Kangaskhan a liability when pit against stall and smart offense players, not to mention how susceptible Kangaskhan is to status -3-. Anyway, as I'd said, it's not too hard to pressure Mega Kang, and that set is no exception.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Aren't chicken breasts generally expensive?
Not if you raise them yourself. I personally prefer having them have several1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1 tourneys and the winner of each tourney get to live (only the grown males of course, women and children are safe as they are more important)

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
2 local Smashers have raised chickens (only 1 now though), but only for the Eggs, which are awesome...
Isn't that just as expensive? I thought a big topic for Smash-Food was cheapness. lol

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
2 local Smashers have raised chickens (only 1 now though), but only for the Eggs, which are awesome...
Isn't that just as expensive? I thought a big topic for Smash-Food was cheapness. lol
Well it may be expensive at first, but after you start charging for people to watch the Chicken Games (Original movie, do not steal) every month you actually start gaining money.

zman804

Smash Ace
If you live by a Sprouts, they have really cheap food. The one I live by has all kinds of lentils and beans for 60 or 70 cents a pound. Healthy and cheap

Also @Kidney Stones guy, drink some water, Jesus Christ

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Seriously, we need a Thread about Smashfest/Tournament food.
I got DQ'd from Genesis 1 for not showing up to my matches (wouldn't have anyway) because I kept walking crowds of 20ish people over to Costco and bringing them in there for bulk awesome food.
Crate of Blackberries was the best thing that happened there...

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Why was Norfair banned at The Big House 3? Did the tournament just call for a simple stage list? It's a very cool stage, and it'd be a shame if it's not used much in tournaments.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Because Norfair is a stupid polarizing death-pit with garbage spawn-points in every PM version to date, and is glitch-ridden on top of that.

I'll bump that, maybay...

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Seriously, we need a Thread about Smashfest/Tournament food.
I got DQ'd from Genesis 1 for not showing up to my matches (wouldn't have anyway) because I kept walking crowds of 20ish people over to Costco and bringing them in there for bulk awesome food.
Crate of Blackberries was the best thing that happened there...
There was a thread a while ago called "Traffics combo kitchen" where it taught noobs how make food, but its long since died

You should totally start food thread, that would be awesome

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
glanced at the VGX for one minute

firebomb the entire gaming industry and start over, it'd be for the best

possibly firebomb geoff keighley while we're at it

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
There's still some cool stuff out there like Broken Age. I hate these "journalists" though.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
people getting mad on twitter about gone home winning best indie game is great though

mostly because you can play a game of how many tweets it takes before it slowly starts devolving into self-projected homophobia

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
cursive was invented by the devil to make the life of children miserable
"Oh, so you just learned how to write? That's great! Learn this new way to write, be forced to write this way for a couple years, then never use it again!"

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
how to make a signature without ever knowing cursive:

STEP 1: write normal letters for the first three letters in your name, adding some loops btwn movements
STEP 2: scribble a weird line that vaguely looks like the rest of your name

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
how to make a signature without ever knowing cursive:

STEP 1: write normal letters for the first three letters in your name, adding some loops btwn movements
STEP 2: scribble a weird line that vaguely looks like the rest of your name
It's funny, both my Dad and I do the same thing, and since we have the same name, our signatures are starting to look remarkably similar...

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I just took my SATs.
I'm listening to this while eating Tic Tacs to make me feel better...
Lol you think your score was bad? I got 1640, and because of that I have to go to a community college :(

My older siblings all got above 1800, so everyone in my family thinks I'm the failure child, but I guess that's what I get for neglecting to study lol

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Homestly my signature doesn't even say my name, when I created it I just wrote a bunch of random squiggles that looked pretty cool, and now I'm stuck with it

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
oh well should watch NEC14 every once in a while. oh look sanford's calling out people

...yo

yooooo

YOOOOOOO

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

(my lungs are dead hello P:M chat)

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
there's that complaint, and then there's the dude who yelled "**** LESBIANS"

I'm mostly talking about that person b/c man that was a weird tweet to have

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Lol you think your score was bad? I got 1640, and because of that I have to go to a community college :(

My older siblings all got above 1800, so everyone in my family thinks I'm the failure child, but I guess that's what I get for neglecting to study lol
Very unfortunate.
I'm honestly not sure how I did. The only part I KNOW I didn't do well on was the essay, and that's only because I write slow. I take a lot of time to write stuff here, so how am I supposed to write a good essay in 25 minutes?
Aside from that, I think I did okay, but I'm not sure what's considered a good score.
I'm also going to community college. I was just a really bad student, work wise.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
If anyone is knowledged in different types of Install methods of P:M and feels like helping out people/the community then in the P:M IRC it's bombarded about every half hour for the past year now with people needing help getting P:M to work on Riivolution and all that. You could pry use an IRC client and just go afk and have the key words "help" "please" "Wii" "SD Card" ping you. After 3.0 I imagine they'll be a lot of'em, half of them get ignored already.
http://widget00.mibbit.com/?server=irc.gamesurge.net&channel=#projectm&nick=pmchat_???&customloading=waiting for the IRC-server ...&customprompt=Welcome to Project M IRC Chat&noServerNotices=1

zman804

Smash Ace
oh well should watch NEC14 every once in a while. oh look sanford's calling out people

...yo

yooooo

YOOOOOOO

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

(my lungs are dead hello P:M chat)
What happened?

Top Bottom