• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
met some new players today, they were friends of a friend of mine, who went to a local fest once and got slapped. Apparently, they had been training secretly, and decided to come play against us, it was fun as ****. they got hyped as **** when we brought out the falcons, but then when we did doubles, they wanted team attack off, it was weird

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
but then when we did doubles, they wanted team attack off, it was weird
This reminds me, why DO we put Team Attack on?
To raise the skill floor? To not look like dunces? Just for the opportunity to save teammates? To look a little better?
Is there a real reason? Sorry to look like an idiot, I'm just curious.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Well there's a perfectly good reason why he shouldn't make it back.
He should come back.

Bcuz Melee.
To raise the skill floor? To not look like dunces? Just for the opportunity to save teammates? To look a little better?

I always thought it was to acknowledge the presence of your partner and not just throw attacks out all wildly.

Team matches with and without team attack are so different from each other that it's ridiculous.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
me and my partner were gettin our **** wrecked because we kept trying to avoid hitting each other despite it being off

Vashimus

Smash Master
That's items though.. stupid and random is the reason we turn them on, like what you normally do with 4 ppl is go all puff and stuff
Not if the person who picked up the item can also get punished. I love Pokeballs. But if there was a chance that the Pokemon would attack me, then they'd be more of a nuisance.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
depends, if it claims to offer something more than ordinary music then hopefully it's been tested double blind and the paper peer reviewed, otherwise it's probably your typical pseudoscience like magnet/crystal healing
It definitely claims to affect mood and seems to have a huge following. I'ma seriously try to sleep sooner with the sleep pink noise ones sometime, but you have to have headphones on to get the Binaural to work which is a nuisance as well as listening to Nujabes or Emancipator is a lot more pleasurable but possibly not as effective. This is what happens when people don't have good tastes in music of anything better to listen to. I definitely believe Magnets could either **** you up or help you with enough power goin on your brain (primarily the former), crystals though I haven't heard of that.

Not if the person who picked up the item can also get punished. I love Pokeballs. But if there was a chance that the Pokemon would attack only me, then they'd be more of a nuisance.
Are you kidding, that's hilarious. Reminds me of the bull**** using obscure items on yourself out of ignorance in Mario Party can yield

OMG I just thought of double squirtle side-b spamming with team attack off, I'll try to make this happen at this saturday tourney I think the twitch is http://www.twitch.tv/expgamingil Team attack off is amazing for fun for the same reasons it has dumb and broken things for actual tourney. Anyone have the video link of that 2 Falcons 1 Falco?

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Double Falco Short Hop Laser spam
Double Marth standing next to each other spamming aerials
Double vbrawl Metaknight spamming tornado together

I want you to imagine playing against this so the rule becomes apparent

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482

The only thing I could imagine is you and a clone of you playing double snakes and destroying everything.

splat

Smash Lord
I checked the twitter account to see if it was mentioned there as well, figured they'd make a post and tweet about it as well - hadn't seen the MetaWaddleDee thing, guess this makes it legit. Now, if only it wasn't as cryptic..

EDIT: Also, unrelated to the above, but does anyone know what the timers of PS/PS2 are? As in: how long does it stay in it's neutral state, how long does the transformation take and how long does it stay in a type state?

shadow0x0cloud

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I want to know if my Mario is doing well for a mario.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifQ7EYZK-kw

Please tell me.
I'll tell you that you're far above basic. It seems to me your close to reaching an intermediate level of understanding the game. You should start to work on things like ledge options, tech chases, wavedashing, teaching, and l canceling.

In terms of your Mario play, I suggest you spend a little more time with your character just to learn what works and what doesn't. For example many weird combo paths that caused your opponent to escape your pressure. Also Mario's fireball is pretty good, you shouldn't hesitate to space your opponent out with it. There was a lot of fair spamming. Like not even close to your opponent and full jump fair. Some of those situations would be better to have thrown a fireball.

So yeah, you're kinda in between beginner and intermediate, it looks like you know what you should do but your not doing certain things. Also it would probably be better to post in the Mario thread

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I want to know if my Mario is doing well for a mario.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifQ7EYZK-kw

Please tell me.
Not really, sorry. I saw no kind of neutral game/footsies, basically every chance you got (and your opponent) you just ran in and dash attacked. You need to work on your technical stuff, especially dash dancing and wavelanding/dashing so you have something to apply to your neutral game. The only reasonable thing I saw was that you grasp the concept of combos, something you can't say for the newest players, but even that could be improved with an understanding of SHFFLing and wavelanding you speed up your follow-ups on the opponent. Of course, if you aren't looking to get good then all that stuff is perfectly fine, you can enjoy the game however you want; but judging by how you two were playing, that's not the case. A nice rule of thumb to improve in smash, if I could give it in just one line, is to always wait for/bait your opponent to make the first move, using projectiles if possible to pester them into doing so. But to do that you'll need to learn good ways to bait the other guy out, so the quickest way to get results will probably be dash dancing in and out of his dash attack range, then running in to grab him when he misses and start a combo.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Zef said:
happy thanksgiving you americans
AMERICA
FUDGE YEAH
COMIN TO SAVE THE MOTHERFUDGIN DAY YEAH
AMERICA
FUDGE YEAH
SO LIKE ON MY DISCS AND SUCK ON MY CARTS
AMERICA
FUDGE YEAH
FREEDOM IS THE ONLY WAY YEAH

CORY

wut
BRoomer
double falco shl spamming. pretty much anywhere, but fd especially.

or double samus missile/charge shot is pretty dumb, though not quite as bad as double falco.

double pit (or pit+falco...) is pretty much the same.

in another direction, peach becomes an even stupider doubles partner when she can literally become a stage hazard for only the opponents.

basically, it adds more depth to the game, since you can't just ignore your partner (and you can do cool stuff to help save them while recovering and stuff).

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Having a partner you can hurt means you have to be wary of your own well-being as well as your teammate, which is kind of the whole essence of teamwork. Playing double without team attack removes a sort of layer of what makes teams, teams.

Also because silly things as mentioned above.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Team attack being on greatly increases the depth of teams. Saves are a thing, spacing is more precise, dumb things like double Falco SHL aren't a thing.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454

I actually DID play against this stuff the other day.
Maybe I was a little too tired to notice the ridiculous douchebaggery going on.
Then again, I was playing a 1 v 3 against casuals, so I guess I just accepted it at the time.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Thanksgiving makes the day quiet.

People are still cooking at my house so no real family time right now.

Gonna be watching fight club for thanksgiving.

Don't kill me for saying this, but I've never watched fight club.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Don't kill me for saying this, but I've never watched fight club.
I've never watched it either :X.

I've had a lot to reflect about this past year - about my education, about what I want to do for the rest of my life (for those of you who have yet to be college seniors - it sucks), and about what defines me as a person. Smash has been a huge part of my life, and while yes, this game is amazing, it's the community that keeps me coming. You guys are some of the coolest people I've met and/or interacted with, and I'm super thankful to have had the chance for that. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
feh, americans

*spittake*

IN OTHER NEWS I have now heard the most esports fighting game commentary in my entire life

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Today's Thanksgiving: Our pink guy's favourite holiday, right? How about we all celebrate by reading Kirby's writeup? :)

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
feh, americans

*spittake*

IN OTHER NEWS I have now heard the most esports fighting game commentary in my entire life

it's like every match of commentated League I've ever seen.

Anybody who watches competitive League will understand what I mean when I describe League commentary as "blah blah blah rotations, blah blah rotations, blah blah blah such good rotations, blah blah blah now watch how they rotate, blah blah blah they just executed their rotations much better than the other team."

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
The only esports with good commentary are tf2 and occasionally starcraft 2.
Watching that SF4 video made me feel like I was watching Football. I felt this strange sensation of bleh, but felt better when I turned the video off...

Though I guess if John Madden drew some squiggly lines on the screen, no Frank Caliendo doing John Madden, that would be entertaining. "Y'see Guile has to make a charge up and then throw some booming hot offense or the chinese are going to rule the world. Now he cuts in deep to the inside with a crossup, laying down his trademark Sonic Hurricane. America wins the game! This commentary brought to you by Ace, the gamin' place for me."

Top Bottom