• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
anyone remember in Special when Giovanni straight up murdered the **** outta the magmars

someone answer my question from earlier pls, danktoaster ignored me ;-;7

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Ash looking to have some solid pokes near Sinnoh level already damn and he only has 4 badges so far. at least he has a fully evolve dragon in Goodra now.

SunJester

Smash Ace
That would mean tournaments that didnt use 20xx would illegal too if you think about it
Technically any tournament that makes money off of a Nintendo product without Nintendo getting a slice of the pie isn't condoned. That's why Nintendo tried to shut down Melee at Evo.

Making money off of their modded products is worse though, not sure how much worse though. It's at least a fairly substantial amount.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
God help the Smash 4 community if most of its EVO run ends up like that.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
mfw this game is going to be at evo and kof isn't

Cause smash brings in mad numbers that beats most games numbers and rivals Marvel and maybe even Street Fighter soon while KOF13 kinda fell off in the states after last EVO it was there and new games coming out. That was the wrong vid to link tho.

Give it a year or 2, smash4 will die out soon.
If dumb stuff happens then yeah but I would say more of new game scent and flavor will wear out. 2 years minimum though.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
yeah the problem is totally with Smash 4 and not with super lame people caring more about maximizing their chances of winning than they do about the health of the game as a spectator sport

also kof kind of sucks

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
yeah the problem is totally with Smash 4 and not with super lame people caring more about maximizing their chances of winning than they do about the health of the game as a spectator sport

also kof kind of sucks
I mean isn't maximizing your chances of winning the point of a competitive game

also yeah fine whatever they should have had [insert any actual fighting game here]

skullgirls at evo when

Bleck

Smash Master
I mean isn't maximizing your chances of winning the point of a competitive game
yes, but when your desire to win comes at the expense of the entertainment of the other players and/or spectators then I think it's pretty juvenile to pretend like it's the game's fault instead of acknowledging that somebody has social problems

"ugh, Smash 4 is so bad, Sakurai really needs to stop designing games for people who aren't sociopaths"

skullgirls at evo when
yes please

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
yes, but when your desire to win comes at the expense of the entertainment of the other players and/or spectators then I think it's pretty juvenile to pretend like it's the game's fault instead of acknowledging that somebody has social problems

"ugh, Smash 4 is so bad, Sakurai really needs to stop designing games for people who aren't sociopaths"
that's literally the definition of a poorly designed competitive game

like it could be a good casual game but yes it is the fault of smash 4 itself

Bleck

Smash Master
so what you're saying is that any fighting game where people can play as characters with projectiles and stand there throwing them is poorly designed

well jeez, I guess every single fighting game ever made that isn't Tekken must be terrible

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
The entertainment of others is pretty much the job of the game designer. The player is trying to break the game in any manner that is possible and the game designer is trying to anticipate that and prevent this with safe guards.

I don't think you can diagnose people based on their playstyles. The nicest dude can be cheap in a game and the worst person can be very casual and laissez-faire about what happens.

Bleck

Smash Master
I don't know man, fight me in Skullgirls so I can pick Peacock and show you just how terrible that game apparently is

GARBAGE DAY

edit:

I don't think you can diagnose people based on their playstyles.
no, but I can diagnose them based on their willingness to undermine the consistency and/or popularity of the game's competitive community for no other reason than their own fleeting moment of victory (i.e doing something that negatively affects multiple other people for something that's only vaguely a positive thing if one doesn't think too hard about it)

even believing that being the best at a game in a way that clearly garners no respect from anybody (nobody is ever going to be impressed at your terrible campy Villager) implies that one has at least some trouble seeing things from other people's point of view, and a lack of empathy is more or less the primary symptom of sociopathy

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Peacock is a strong zoner, but you can always pick a character that counters her if she is giving you trouble.

No one is saying that having strong characters is a bad thing, or that match-up counter picking isn't an important strategy in a game.

But if the only strategy against that Villager tedium that makes any sense is "don't play" then it might just possibly be a broken move that the game would be better without allowing it to be used.

The rules of the game can prevent that rather than flimsy honor codes that don't hold up under scrutiny.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I'mma be in austin with mah boys tonight, subjugating them to San Antonio's rule

Go watch on their strem later pls <3

Bleck

Smash Master
But if the only strategy against that Villager tedium that makes any sense is "don't play" then it might just possibly be a broken move that the game would be better without allowing it to be used.
If that were the case, then yes - but it's not, so? The problem with that match isn't so much that the Villager is somehow overpowered so much as it was that both of those players were campy ****lords. I don't think that makes Smash 4 a bad game - I think those players just suck.

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
http://imgur.com/a/6nfad
Went to Supercuts for $10.

Now I need to buy stylish casual wear, which I don't know how. Also my nipples are existent, unlike most guy's, so I can't wear certain shirts that easily let them show (which I'm pretty sure is unattractive for guys).

And I just realized the worst part about wearing a lot of hair gel is it's gonna get all over your pillows when you sleep.
Just shower before bed every night.
Define broken.
Not working as intended.
Oooookayyy then

Waifu thread. Post your waifu.

View attachment 44256

You seriously dont know.
There is never enough repost of beautiful gano--
None of the Smash Games (aside from PM, and a few other mods ofc) in general were tested with competitive play in mind?

My mind is blown.

I didn't recognize you without all the pink.
I don't know man, fight me in Skullgirls so I can pick Peacock and show you just how terrible that game apparently is

GARBAGE DAY

edit:

no, but I can diagnose them based on their willingness to undermine the consistency and/or popularity of the game's competitive community for no other reason than their own fleeting moment of victory (i.e doing something that negatively affects multiple other people for something that's only vaguely a positive thing if one doesn't think too hard about it)

even believing that being the best at a game in a way that clearly garners no respect from anybody (nobody is ever going to be impressed at your terrible campy Villager) implies that one has at least some trouble seeing things from other people's point of view, and a lack of empathy is more or less the primary symptom of sociopathy
And then there was m2k. But we already discussed that recently.

Alright, now I'm all caught up.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
We can think about this is simple microeconomic terms. Each player is a firm looking to maximize their profit, and they do so by winning. No logical firm would put something ahead of profit, that is out side the realm of being realistic or reasonable. However, in this market, winning has some negative externalities, and the societal cost of winning is higher than the individual cost. There are negative that exist when firms attempt to maximize their profit, but since they do not affect the firms or the firms customers directly, they are not accounted for.

In the real world, a government would correct this by taxing or subsidizing things appropriately to shift the incentives of the firm to a position that benefitted society more, but that government, those who make the rules (TOs), have not decided on anything concrete to counteract this.

edit: On second thought I probably should have said that the players were consumers rather than firms but it's easier to explain profit rather than utils

OH WELL LONG STORY SHORT IS THAT NO LOGICAL PERSON WOULD PUT ANYTHING ABOVE WINNING

Top Bottom