• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
The only good Smash clone in development is Rivals of Aether, the rest look horrible.

I'm sure many people would choose an alternative unshackled to tradition if it presented itself.

Last edited:

Badge

Smash Apprentice
As far as frame perfect things go, multishining got a lucky break in that it's such a quick 1 frame window that it can be relegated to super precise muscle memory in the form of one movement. But there are lots of other 1 frame window options with so much time in between inputs that you can't relegate it to a single movement of the finger so you kinda just have to get really good at waiting the correct amount of time inbetween inputs.
Unfortunately, buffer wouldn't make a difference in many of these timings because you're not performing an action that prevents the intended followup during the waiting time. Early aerials or instant followups would become easier, but DJ-landings, Lucas' good multishines/long distance PKFs (RIP), shortens, SWD (already easier in PM) etc. wouldn't get any easier - and this stuff together with very precise control stick inputs, that also aren't affected by buffer, is what's really hard imo. I.e. it would mostly make entry level tech easier (multi shines and stuff :p).
I'd have nothing against an optional 1 frame buffer. Forced 1 frame buffer I'd want to try and see how it affects accuracy and feel before agreeing to it, but I'd imagine liking it, too.

Squirtle might also regain true hydroplaning with buffer, which would be cool.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Spacies are two characters, big difference.

Unless you approve of shine into aerial, jump cancel and pillaring?

Because this is a thing:

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
falco's shine is also stupid but ever-so-slightly less so

but yeah basically I'm agreeing with you here

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
So, apparently, the VC/Throwback versions of retail games are identical to the disk versions.

Since Brawl was one of the highest-selling games on the Wii, it will most certainly be added to the lineup.

So if VC!Brawl works the exact same as Disk!Brawl... Voila. VC!Hackless Project M.

Having a shortcut straight from the Wii U Menu might be just what I need to get back into it.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
So, apparently, the VC/Throwback versions of retail games are identical to the disk versions.

Since Brawl was one of the highest-selling games on the Wii, it will most certainly be added to the lineup.

So if VC!Brawl works the exact same as Disk!Brawl... Voila. VC!Hackless Project M.

Having a shortcut straight from the Wii U Menu might be just what I need to get back into it.
It's not in wii mode, wouldn't work

dont be a foo read between the lines

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
It's not in wii mode, wouldn't work

dont be a foo read between the lines
Actually, it is.

Wii VC games temporarily transfer into Wii Mode (complete with the "Display on TV or TV+Gamepad?" Menu), with a standby command to return to Wii U mode after the game exits. That's why there's no Miiverse community for SMG2.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Actually, it is.

Wii VC games temporarily transfer into Wii Mode (complete with the "Display on TV or TV+Gamepad?" Menu), with a standby command to return to Wii U mode after the game exits. That's why there's no Miiverse community for SMG2.
Then there's no ****ing point because you could just put in a brawl disk and do the same thing

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Speaking of stupid spacie stuff, when are we getting this

On a more serious note, how would you guys feel if falco got an increased rate of fire for lasers but lasers only went a very short distance, à la megaman lemons?

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I'm a chronic disk loser/destroyer. I'll take a digital copy over physical any chance I can get.
This is why you usb load
Speaking of stupid spacie stuff, when are we getting this

On a more serious note, how would you guys feel if falco got an increased rate of fire for lasers but lasers only went a very short distance, à la megaman lemons?
No

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Also, this is probably a really stupid question with a simple answer, but how do I change the song names on My Music, a la the Project M theme song under Menu? The program I currently use to change song names doesn't have that option.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
It's simple really, if a buffer gives the ICs too many new options and infinites like people are suggesting, the buffer doesn't have to apply to them if coding that is possible.
Hylian said they get new desynchs, which is a good thing until proven otherwise. Tinker was ****ing around. So again, why do you see ICs having one frame buffer as a problem?

Does buffer make SH harder? Seems like it would.
No.

Last edited:

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Also, this is probably a really stupid question with a simple answer, but how do I change the song names on My Music, a la the Project M theme song under Menu? The program I currently use to change song names doesn't have that option.
info.pac (and related files, if you want to apply it to all game modes), which is located under pf/info2/. It's under MiscData[140]. Be sure to keep the file size the same or lower by managing the number of characters in each title. I usually like to shorten some of the original titles to give me more space to work with.

To elaborate on the buffer question, IIRC it affects the next actionable or "free" frame. Shorthops are an input read up until a specific point during the jumpsquat action. What it would actually affect is your ability to do frame 1 aerials out of jumpsquat.

Last edited:

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Brawl song manager is probably the easiest program for renaming songs. Otherwise you have to open it up in brawlbox

D

Deleted member

"This game is too popular, so we can't include it".
Somehow I doubt that that was the reason.

It's clearly the sponsorship, if Nintendo wasn't involved they probably would've just cut out Brawl.
were you at apex last year? i wouldn't be so sure. apex 2014 was a giant flustercluck and having an extra full national sized event bracket may have had something to do with it. writing off huge logistics issues isn't the best way to solve problems.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm just plain not sure what Apex was thinking. It was probably pressure from some anti-hacking lobbyists and the like who erroneously think it and piracy are the same thing where the law is concerned. Not necessarily Nintendo, though.

Last edited:

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.

Most of the UK crew @ Beast 5 (+some guest stars)! I think we're missing at least 20 people in this photo, we had about 90 of us in attendance. It was a super amazing tournament overall, probably my 3rd favourite of all time that I've attended (after Evo '13 and TBH4).

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514

Most of the UK crew @ Beast 5 (+some guest stars)! I think we're missing at least 20 people in this photo, we had about 90 of us in attendance. It was a super amazing tournament overall, probably my 3rd favourite of all time that I've attended (after Evo '13 and TBH4).
Oh, hey, a dev team member. I've been meaning to ask something that might sound foolish, if it's alright.

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
were you at apex last year? i wouldn't be so sure. apex 2014 was a giant flustercluck and having an extra full national sized event bracket may have had something to do with it. writing off huge logistics issues isn't the best way to solve problems.
Writing off an entire popular game instead of trying to deal with the logistics issues is a worse solution to the problem. There's definitely measures they could've taken to run things smoothly.

D

Deleted member

Writing off an entire popular game instead of trying to deal with the logistics issues is a worse solution to the problem. There's definitely measures they could've taken to run things smoothly.
okay then, YOU spend an entire year to host an international event with 1400+ people. we might not like it, but alex strife can do whatever he wants with his tournament. pretending like those concerns arent valid (when they totally are) makes you look like an ungrateful ass.

Bazkip

Smash Master
okay then, YOU spend an entire year to host an international event with 1400+ people. we might not like it, but alex strife can do whatever he wants with his tournament. pretending like those concerns arent valid (when they totally are) makes you look like an ungrateful ***.
Come on now are you seriously using this argument. Just because x is doing y thing that person z isn't doesn't mean z is completely forbidden from giving any criticism. That's a load of hore**** and you know it.

Of course he can do whatever he likes, where did I say he couldn't? For that matter, where did I say the concerns aren't valid? Stating that there are means to address those concerns doesn't mean I think they're invalid, don't put words into my mouth.

You'd only have a leg to stand on if there was a possibility of the reason for no PM being due to not wanting to run it, but given what Strife said last year about wanting to run it again, and given that if it was due to logistics issues, we would've been told like (Like Jebailey did) instead of being left in the dark, makes it abundantly clear that the only reason is the Nintendo sponsorship.

If Nintendo wasn't involved, and Strife wanted to run PM (again, from what he said last year, there's a very strong indication he would've) then he would've very likely taken steps to deal with the concerns, and been more transparent about it as well.

Btw, when I said before that it was a "Bad solution", that's not me saying "omg they suck at running things", that's saying "It doesn't seem like a logical explanation for why PM isn't there, thus I believe the reason is only due to the Nintendo sponsorship". I wasn't disrespecting Strife or Apex anywhere, I understand that they want Nintendo to be involved and while I'm disappointed that PM can't be there as a result, I don't fault them for it. I'd only fault them if they dropped it purely do the logistics, but again I don't believe that to be the case.

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
info.pac (and related files, if you want to apply it to all game modes), which is located under pf/info2/. It's under MiscData[140]. Be sure to keep the file size the same or lower by managing the number of characters in each title. I usually like to shorten some of the original titles to give me more space to work with.
@ Saikyoshi Saikyoshi Actually, if he wants to do it in My Music, he wants to open the menu2 folder then add it to mu_menumain. In this file it's done basically the same way as previously mentioned but as MiscData7 instead of 140. Requires Brawlbox, but it's really not too difficult.

A somewhat easy way of adjusting the size here would be to go into the file directly below (or somewhat close for the mu_menumain anyways.) It's MiscData160 for Info.pac and MiscData9 for Menumain. Change the majority of these to single question marks. I think these are all for online play, and other menus that likely won't often get seen via Project M. But double check their value to you before you start replacing them. This should give you a little more room to play with as far as song title length. It's not perfect, but it's always worked for me.

Last edited:

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/uncha...0fps_if_it_compromises_player_experience.html
Not this **** again.
Do they not realize that a higher frame rate means that the controls can be designed to be more responsive?
The Cynical Brit did a long ranty video that details why 60fps is objectively and subjectively better.

I mean this isn't as bad as the way Ubi handled it, but the end result is likely going to be the same.

Man 8th Gen is looking rather lame already.

Oh and leffen is definitely gonna take the match and win.

Last edited:
Top Bottom