• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
I'm no pro by any means, I just know my way around my workstation and have done some light recording and mastering of my own stuff. Most of the stuff that I have out in the wild is fairly old at this point, but my soundcloud is here if you really wanna see that stuff. Nothing very special there, though.

What I can give you is a ton of useful resources: an audio engineering friend of mine gave me a big folder of a ton of different audio textbook pdfs and more a while back. You can find that all in a Google Drive folder right here. Personally, I'd recommend starting with The Mixing Engineer's Handbook, by Bobby Owsinski, which is great. But, as you'll see, there's an abundance of resources there that should be more than enough to get you started.

I'm actually working on a little side project right now if you wanna hear something I'm currently working on. It's pretty rough at this point though, of course.
Thanks a ton! I haven't recorded anything yet; I don't have a good mic, and I'm mostly interested in just making songs out of samples atm. I can't figure out how to layer effects and all that and to make them sound good; like, I don't understand how to EQ all too well yet.

Here's the only thing I have on my Soundcloud (I recommend not listening past :55; honestly, the whole thing is a joke, but I EQ'd the MJ sample and the beat so that they respect each other): https://soundcloud.com/saxophoneoftime/off-the-wall-d-air-feat-kevin
The highs sound really bad and muddy on Soundcloud because I guess it messes them up if anything peaks past somewhere between -3db to -1.5db, which I only learned today.

Also, I'd be interested in checking out what you're currently working on; link it.

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
WWE style announcing voiced by the classic anime narrator voice, Norio Wakamoto. for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4tIi2Q_LWc

and I want all croud gasp to be more anime-like, because over the top anime gasps are the greatest thing ever.
As much as I'd love to do something like that, I don't think I have the voice to match Norio Wakamoto. White guys trying to sound Japanese while speaking English, also seems like it would sound super stereotypical and a little racist, so I'd wanna avoid that.

Crowd gasps and chants would be cool though, would definitely take a few people but I bet it could happen.

Do a jazz one. Y'know, from S@X TK Jazzy.
Jazz voice eh? I'll have to look into that.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Y'know, this probably should have been a given, but you gave me an idea.

What does everyone want their PM announcer to sound like, if they got a brand new one for a later version? How should it sound? Should it be low-key? Enthusiastic? Deep?
Like the one I'm already using now. http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=205103

Monolithfiji did pretty good.

The Crusade Announcer is also a good alternative. http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=201912

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
As much as I'd love to do something like that, I don't think I have the voice to match Norio Wakamoto. White guys trying to sound Japanese while speaking English, also seems like it would sound super stereotypical and a little racist, so I'd wanna avoid that.

Crowd gasps and chants would be cool though, would definitely take a few people but I bet it could happen.

Jazz voice eh? I'll have to look into that.
Idk. Something hot blooded and angry sounds cool.

Edit : But still deep. Idk.

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Thanks a ton! I haven't recorded anything yet; I don't have a good mic, and I'm mostly interested in just making songs out of samples atm. I can't figure out how to layer effects and all that and to make them sound good; like, I don't understand how to EQ all too well yet.

Here's the only thing I have on my Soundcloud (I recommend not listening past :55; honestly, the whole thing is a joke, but I EQ'd the MJ sample and the beat so that they respect each other): https://soundcloud.com/saxophoneoftime/off-the-wall-d-air-feat-kevin
The highs sound really bad and muddy on Soundcloud because I guess it messes them up if anything peaks past somewhere between -3db to -1.5db, which I only learned today.

Also, I'd be interested in checking out what you're currently working on; link it.
If you're interested in that stuff, Ableton is definitely your best bet, yeah. EQ is very important, though, and those resources I linked before will definitely help you out in that department, as well as just understanding audio in general.

I'm working on the second draft right now, but I'll link here as soon as I finish this version. It's a mashup of Pompeii and Who Are You. Not really something I expected to work, haha.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Teching in pm cancels a lot of your momentum, whereas in melee you keep it. Thats why if you see fox dthrow someone in melee they tech away and go ultra far, whereas in pm its basically just snakes dthrow
Which would you prefer? I think I like Melee's for making things more dynamic
+ @CORY

Though it's funny, because for combos you don't want that ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8qQ1jzw3ZE )

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
if you work out, never take a month-long break.
You Will (Not) Feel Good

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I'm saying, death metal vocals would be so ballin

But power metal vocals could be cool too

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
His whole planet gets wiped out...

It's not like they couldn't have just gone to the sun and become energizer bunny.

I'm going to hang out a bit for first lunch and JV 5 stock you all really quick.
Not Rao. It was a red star.

Superman is the worst written, most overpowered character I have ever seen in my life.
That is a million times dumber than Thunder Armor.
1393728384748.gif

And just by that, I know you haven't read any comics and are just going off on casual "knowledge".

I'll just save myself the trouble of making a reply with effort and just say read All Star Superman.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Most of Big Blue's new stuff has him being a total fuccboi.
/topic

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
He's young and brash in the early runs like in Morrison's AC run but guys like Pak and Johns (who I hate) are writing him back to being like the good old boy scout.
I liked the fact that Supes' naivete could be exploited at times. It was also a good measuring stick for more ambiguous themes cropping up in a story, too.

Smooth Criminal

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I liked the fact that Supes' naivete could be exploited at times. It was also a good measuring stick for more ambiguous themes cropping up in a story, too.

Smooth Criminal
Using a character's limited knowledge and weaknesses against them is a core way to not just attack their weaknesses, but show off their strengths.

The great stories and storylines know how to use all that to come together and create something magical with it.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Guys, I kept researching collision detection.

If there is no interpolation on hitboxes hurtboxes, how is it possible that Falco gets hit out of Phantasm? Wouldn't he just teleport through people one frame to the next?

Edit: I meant the ones that the characters wear on their bodies.

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
There are four frames during illusion/phantasm during which Falco and Fox's hurtboxes are tangible, if I remember correctly. Just hit the right spot at the right time. Hell, you can grab them out of it.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277

Smooth Criminal
Using a character's limited knowledge and weaknesses against them is a core way to not just attack their weaknesses, but show off their strengths.

The great stories and storylines know how to use all that to come together and create something magical with it.
Speaking of themes, stories, and storylines, what do you guys think about Convergence/Hypercrisis?

oh my god are you nerds still talking about Superman?
1392355337685.jpg

Lizalfos

Smash Master
There are four frames during illusion/phantasm during which Falco and Fox's hurtboxes are tangible, if I remember correctly. Just hit the right spot at the right time. Hell, you can grab them out of it.
But in theory, he can just sorta go past you in between those 4, huh.

Now all I have to do is learn the math behind intersecting vectors or somthing stupid.

Ramz289

Smash Journeyman
I'm finaly done using s***** 3rd party controllers and I can play on wifi now.

Ya'll are nerdy dweeblords.

I don't really care about the Nintendo direct much because I'm poor anyways #struggle2stunk (we might get a Wii U tho).

@Paradoxium Prepararse

God damnit smashboards censored my censor doge attempt wtf

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
But in theory, he can just sorta go past you in between those 4, huh.

Now all I have to do is learn the math behind intersecting vectors or somthing stupid.
nah its easy to beat out the fox/falco side-bs if they go high, just hit them. React to the audio clues, its 20 frames until they start moving you just pause for a moment when you hear it and jab/tilt/grab/fast move move on the vertical plane they picked. spacies don't really teleport that much with side-bs, they move pretty evenly (but fast) and the hitboxes dont interpolate because they don't move, just static hitboxes at certain points of his wake

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Just throw out a long lasting hitbox.
Without interpolation on Spacies' hitboxes, they could still skip past a small, but long lasting hitbox.

(lolthundercats)
:falcomelee: :marthmelee: :falcomelee: :falcomelee: :falcomelee:
If these are the 4 frames where Falco is traveling across the screen, Marth could miss him, even if he has his U-smash active for all 4 frames.

Phantasm is still punishible, it is just kinda intresting and janky.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
The 4th best smash player at my school always selects up smash.

**** my school.

Today @Player -0 beat Usmarth (you know, that guy I jsut mentioned) with Pichu, then lost to a mediocre Fox because he missed 4 consecutive rests, he would have won had he just gimped.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
The 4th best smash player at my school always selects up smash.

**** my school.

Today @Player -0 beat Usmarth (you know, that guy I jsut mentioned) with Pichu, then lost to a mediocre Fox because he missed 4 consecutive rests, he would have won had he just gimped.
Your school is free.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
People playing smash 4 are mad that these sick ariel cancels are making the game hard to play.

This is why we need games made so we can do cool stuff, without being frame perfect. At this rate, 4 is going to the most technical game in the series XD
This is a direct result of trying to make skill gaps nonexistent, someone breaks/masters the game to create a skill gap.

Ultimately you should design your game with reasonable to perform tech in mind from the start, or vow to patch out everything. The latter really kills the fun tho.

Edit: Also, Sakurai tries to make his games accessible but kept in wave bouncing? Sending mixed messages man.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
Hold on Bleck, I keep getting caught on something reading your criticisms of Sonic titles. You say you want to be able to go fast, yet at the same time don't want to hold right to win. That the levels are mediocre platformers which only interfere with the concept of the title, which as you go on seems to be closer and closer to being "hold right to win by going fast", so exactly how would you fix them?
The solution - and I admit that this is presumably not something that was possible with Genesis-era technology, but recent Sonic games have no excuse - is to have Sonic move through extremely large, expansive environments. You can visually structure a game in such a capacity as to make it appear that you're moving super fast through huge areas and still more or less be an action-platformer in the same vein as Mario games or etc..

You ever see the intro movie to Sonic CD, or Sonic The Hedgehog OVA? Check out the huge, spacious environments in those animations - that's what I want to run around in in a Sonic game.

Ultimately you should design your game with reasonable to perform tech in mind from the start, or vow to patch out everything.
I agree.

Last edited:
Top Bottom