• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
8th Gen has been a gigantic bust. Improved technology has only exasperated the problem that 7th Gen had without anything good to show for it.

D

Deleted member

Come on now are you seriously using this argument. Just because x is doing y thing that person z isn't doesn't mean z is completely forbidden from giving any criticism. That's a load of hore**** and you know it.

Of course he can do whatever he likes, where did I say he couldn't? For that matter, where did I say the concerns aren't valid? Stating that there are means to address those concerns doesn't mean I think they're invalid, don't put words into my mouth.

You'd only have a leg to stand on if there was a possibility of the reason for no PM being due to not wanting to run it, but given what Strife said last year about wanting to run it again, and given that if it was due to logistics issues, we would've been told like (Like Jebailey did) instead of being left in the dark, makes it abundantly clear that the only reason is the Nintendo sponsorship.

If Nintendo wasn't involved, and Strife wanted to run PM (again, from what he said last year, there's a very strong indication he would've) then he would've very likely taken steps to deal with the concerns, and been more transparent about it as well.

Btw, when I said before that it was a "Bad solution", that's not me saying "omg they suck at running things", that's saying "It doesn't seem like a logical explanation for why PM isn't there, thus I believe the reason is only due to the Nintendo sponsorship". I wasn't disrespecting Strife or Apex anywhere, I understand that they want Nintendo to be involved and while I'm disappointed that PM can't be there as a result, I don't fault them for it. I'd only fault them if they dropped it purely do the logistics, but again I don't believe that to be the case.
you're not forbidden from having criticism, but your criticism is bad. strife wanting to do something last year just might not be his reality a year later. maybe its nintendo, maybe its something else. blind speculation doesnt necessarily corroborate that he was "bought" by nintendo, and given his track record of wanting to distinguish himself as a grassroots organizer i'd have a hard time believing he'd do the opposite now. honestly pushing **** around like that is a pretty good incentive for him to not host events at all. i get to talk to alex maybe 2 or 3 times a year and i understand his frustration when he put in a ton of hard work and gets responses like yours that are essentially "well just work harder". creative a dismissive axiom towards alternative concerns is functionally the same as saying that those concerns arent valid and i don't consider it horse**** at all from the dichotomy youre using on a premise isnt even confirmed. like i said, you sound like an ungrateful ass and you can host your own tournament. or at least get some god damn empathy, jesus.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
I do recall...

I'm more annoyed about the lack of communication than anything else. CEO went and talked specifically about their reasons for not hosting PM. Apex just said "we're not hosting the 2nd biggest event from last year" and essentially ignored all questions of why. While understandable given the sponsorship and what I'm sure is a lot of paperwork, it's certainly frustrating.

Bazkip

Smash Master
you're not forbidden from having criticism, but your criticism is bad. strife wanting to do something last year just might not be his reality a year later. maybe its nintendo, maybe its something else. blind speculation doesnt necessarily corroborate that he was "bought" by nintendo, and given his track record of wanting to distinguish himself as a grassroots organizer i'd have a hard time believing he'd do the opposite now. honestly pushing **** around like that is a pretty good incentive for him to not host events at all. i get to talk to alex maybe 2 or 3 times a year and i understand his frustration when he put in a ton of hard work and gets responses like yours that are essentially "well just work harder". creative a dismissive axiom towards alternative concerns is functionally the same as saying that those concerns arent valid and i don't consider it horse**** at all from the dichotomy youre using on a premise isnt even confirmed. like i said, you sound like an ungrateful *** and you can host your own tournament. or at least get some god damn empathy, jesus.
Holy **** what is your problem, I'm literally saying I don't blame him yet for some reason you're putting me up as saying he's worse than Hitler. It's like you're reading my posts and interpreting the exact opposite from everything I'm saying.

I didn't say he "Has to work harder", I said if the Nintendo sponsorship didn't interfere with PM, and he wanted to run it, then he likely would've worked harder in order to have it. I'm saying he would've made that decision of his own volition. Clearly the guy cares about the Smash community, which is why I believe if he could, he would put in the effort. But he also must believe that the Nintendo sponsorship is more beneficial to the community, and like I already said I can't fault him for that.

And blind speculation? Seriously, Nintendo's sponsorship being the reason is the only logical conclusion. Nothing else makes sense. If it was purely logistics then why the lack of transparency? It doesn't add up.

So again, stop putting words into my mouth. You're reading into things that aren't there. I'm not disrespecting him, I understand that he puts in a massive amount of work for this community. The only disrespect here is you towards me, so kindly **** off.

Last edited:

SunJester

Smash Ace
In Alex's mind Nintendo sponsorship is more important than PM, I'm not saying he IS wrong, I'm just saying I THINK that is wrong.

To me its like you're an adopted kid, and you don't get to go on your family's yearly trip to Hawaii 'cause your dad's estranged father hates adopted children and your dad is really desperate for his father's approval, so you get left behind.

Sure you're not biologically apart of the family, but they included you before, and sure they don't HAVE to bring you, but its a huge letdown because you got to go last year, and you were looking forward to this year, but you couldn't go because someone who's disrespected your whole family and pretended that family didn't exist suddenly wants to be back in your family's life.

At least that's how I see it.

Last edited:

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Are there any other frame-1 moves in the game aside from shine?

Follow-up: Why don't jabs start of frame-1? Would that be broken?

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Are there any other frame-1 moves in the game aside from shine?

Follow-up: Why don't jabs start of frame-1? Would that be broken?
rest, GnW up-b, bowser up-b iirc

I dont think frame 1 jabs would be broken, depends on the jab itself though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

i wish you guys would give alex strife a little more faith than just assuming he sold out for nintendo. i get that we're all disappointed but come on, give the guy a break.

~Dad~

part time gay dad
i wish you guys would give alex strife a little more faith than just assuming he sold out for nintendo. i get that we're all disappointed but come on, give the guy a break.
I heard Alex Strife locked Strong bad in the trunk of a car and drove that car to Nintendo.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Dude, no matter what you call it, PM got left out cuz Nintendo. Alex looked at the pros and cons, then he decided Nintendo's support is more important.

It doesn't make him evil or something, but he choose Nintendo over PM.

Last edited:

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Olimar has a frame-4 jab and I feel like complaining about it but I don't think that's really something to complain about.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
ZSS has frame 1 jab in brawl and smash 4
and mac has frame 1 jab and dash attack iirc.

a frame 1 jab in itself isn't necessarily broken. It really depends on how the jab works and what it leads to.
That said, I want frame 1 Ganon jab please.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
There's no way chillin is going to win. I am expecting a 3-0 from leffen. 3-1 at worst
Leffen is surprisingly underwhelming (relatively speaking of course) in the Fox ditto. I think Chillin can pull off a 2-3 loss for that reason, but I'm still giving it to Leffen for sure. I think the skillgap is too much, especially if Leffen plays anywhere near the level we saw him at Beast. If Chillin plays out of his mind he MAYBE can take it if Leffen plays averagely.

Last edited:

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Leffen is way smarter, patient, and safer, the only edge Chillin has is his punish game.

Leffen is gonna beat his ass free

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
total anarchy wet dream apex edition: chillin beats leffen in the money match, leffen deletes his twitter and is humiliated.

but leffen wins apex immediately opening his twitter again and calls himself the new goat

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I just played again for the first time in a while after re-customizing my music, and...

...G&W, Dr. Mario, and even Ganon play like a charm and fit the game, but sweet **** Yoshi feels stiff now. I know I'm in the minority here, but I hate his Melee USpec and DJC.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Chillin's uptilts > leffen's ego

...if only. I'm rooting for chillin, but lmao there's no way in hell he's gonna beat leffen.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
There's one reason and one reason I never watch tournaments:

The commentators.

The commentators' and crowds' voices are so obnoxious. I'd enjoy tourneys a bit more if they were a little bit quieter.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, where I scream shrek/coldsteel jokes and then get kicked off of commentary

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
There's one reason and one reason I never watch tournaments:

The commentators.

The commentators' and crowds' voices are so obnoxious. I'd enjoy tourneys a bit more if they were a little bit quieter.
I respect the opinon, but loud crouds and hype commentators is part of the magic of being at events

Personally I think only a handfull of commentators are actually good at provinding insight on the match, so I'd rather hype/obnoxious/funny commentators to the common play by play and base level MU talk.

edit: Its really hard to please everyone on things like commentary. My favorite way to watch sets is just straight game sounds and no commentary, I miss that a lot

I really like taj and Mango commentary because they are psychic and call things like 5 seconds before they happen

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
lol, I gave that picture to melee hell for Dank OC. Its too good to not get turned into a meme. shoutouts to Symms for taking great photos like that one at smash the target.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I respect the opinon, but loud crouds and hype commentators is part of the magic of being at events

Personally I think only a handfull of commentators are actually good at provinding insight on the match, so I'd rather hype/obnoxious/funny commentators to the common play by play and base level MU talk.

edit: Its really hard to please everyone on things like commentary. My favorite way to watch sets is just straight game sounds and no commentary, I miss that a lot

I really like taj and Mango commentary because they are psychic and call things like 5 seconds before they happen
I'd rather have people try to give their attempt at a stand up routine on the mic rather than repeating the same BS "commentary" we hear so much of just repeating phrases. Because like you said most people don't have real insight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom