• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
I just discovered the point in FE:RD that I couldn't beat because of a cursed priest caused by a scratched disc was chapter 1-6

I didn't even get near chapter 2...

Bazkip

Smash Master
So...who is Armada playing in PM at Beast?

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
"D1 is wearing a scarf to honor his friend Zero, who was found dead this morning as he overdosed on.." -DELETED-

Noo, I needed to hear the end of the joke

"Falco_master3000: i cringe just looking at funk. look at how little his hands are. he could never eat a whopper"

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043

gee thanks smashboards, I'll think about it.
Whoa, the PM Style looks a lot better that I remember. I don't recall the awesome purply background or all the transparency of everything else. D:

You may have just given me a reason to switch away from Sugilite.

Temporarily.

zman804

Smash Ace
PMS Soft Serve plus his teammate Level 9 Fox are about to play HF Neon and Heysuess in bracket.
twitch.tv/azprojectmelee

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Lmao, Reflex's smash 4 wario is actually highly entertaining. It might be cuz I've never seen one tho.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Streaming some Project M practice for Toasted Ravs 6 with Darkatma, Tmacc, and maybe Ripple later! twitch.tv/Hylian88

Nixie

Smash Journeyman
what trips me up the most is that they're still christmas themed

omg kaye actually does use sugilite!
that's so perfect

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
what trips me up the most is that they're still christmas themed

omg kaye actually does use sugilite!
that's so perfect
What, you thought I was joking? Sugilite is literally the perfect theme for me.

Which is why I switched back to it after I made that post about using the PM one. It was cool but... 7.8/10 Too much blue, not enough purple.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Working as a Cashier I feel like responding with philosophical statements to people's common questions.

"Here I don't want this cookware, it's broken"

"Everything becomes broken eventually"

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Onyx master race

So what's the deal with PM and BEAST 5? Did they they finish the bracket off-stream or did it get completely shafted?

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Has nothing to do with vision. Anything but white or grey on black blends into the background strangely.

EDIT: Or maybe it does, now that I think about it and remember the green/red tests at the optometrist's.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I think mashing is somehow unique and as long as there is no better alternative, it is OK, but on the other hand it is replaceworthy because there is no strategic element in it (even guaranteed combos normally have an element of reaction in it) and on the longrun it damages controller and hand.

I don't feel confident with making videos (never made one lol), but to explain my proposed method in a very basic way:
You give the grabbed player more options making it more of a mindgame thing, while balancing those options in a way that the average result will be similar to the results now.

I will try to explain it more clearly here. I have a bad attitude of making complicated sentences and grammatical constructions which make my points harder to understand. I will try to work on that.

Here would be one example of a proposed method, there might be others.

Options of the grabber (not including waiting):
PUMMEL: Deals damage.
ANY THROW: Functions differently and has different purposes depending on the throw.

Options of the grabbed player (not including waiting):
GRABBREAK: Initiates an animation, which, if it is completed, lets you out of the grab.
PUMMELBLOCK: "Shields" a pummel.
THROWCOUNTER: Has a few startup frames, followed by active frames.

Possible scenarios:
PUMMEL vs GRABBREAK: Pummel cancels the grabbreak animation and deals the damage.
PUMMEL vs PUMMELBLOCK: The damage isn't dealt. The grabbed player now has a frame advantage that could, depending on the timing, be enough to complete a grabbreak animation.
PUMMEL vs THROWCOUNTER: Pummel cancels the throwcounter animation and deals the damage.
ANY THROW vs GRABBREAK: The throw is executed.
ANY THROW vs PUMMELBLOCK: The throw is executed.
ANY THROW vs THROWCOUNTER: The grabbed player is released from the grab.

Additional:
Some of the grabbed players' option's frame data should be percentage-dependent so you can get more damage in at higher percentage, in average.
The throwcounter's startup animation is long enough that an instant throw after getting the grab cannot be throw-countered.

Advantages for the grabbed player:
The grabbed player can now choose between several options, and if he gets a read he can punish a greedy pummel or a mistimed throw.

Advantages for the grabber:
The grabbed player has to do someting to get out.
If you don't mess up, it is still always possible to get the throw of your choice when you grabbed someone.

Some more thoughts:
A third option (maybe initiated by pressing special) for the grabber might be worth considering. It could be designed in a way that it creates the advantage for the grabber at higher %s, so one wouldn't have to mess with the frame data of the other moves. After all, percentage-dependent frame data is a bit odd. One would need playtesting to see what works better. And if it turns out the grabber doesn't need the third option, I would try to keep it rather simple.
Touhou4U has pummel block, but we can't play-test your other concepts to analyze them further as promising as they sound; generally like others mentioned though do we want grabs and pummels to be drawn out?
I also had visions about different defensive options, for example different types of shields that could be done by pressing shield in jumpsquat while holding a specific direction. Those shields could look different and have different properties, advantages and disadvantages... Won't be happening, also difficult to makes it not op if you have so many different options...
Implementing a CC-window with active frames and cooldowns similar to the tech window would also be interesting, I always find it a bit sad that jabs and a some characters' tilts are fundamentally bad, but CCing as a whole is worth keeping.
If you could shield during jump squat that would indeed sound excessive. I haven't developed a dislike for CC'ing yet.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
She is out there Mad, I promise :'(
Speaking of grabs, is grab release a bad option for Falco? Normally you just do a horizontal throw offstage, U-throw otherwise. Possibly d-throw -> shine if they will miss the tech.

Top Bottom