• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I am not sober AMA
why aren't you donating to foregen

what's your favorite PMDepot video

what's the most painful physical event you've been through?

Do you know anything about transistors and electrical controller modding?

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
No idea what foregen is
I don't remember any PMdepot videos I've watched tbh
And that's a great question, probably appendicitis.

EDIT: No

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
In which case you got your appendix removed? Where were you how fast did the pain come were you rushed to the hospital?

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I haven't had my appendix removed yet apparently it hasn't been dangerous enough to remove
It's just been on/off painful for the past 4 years

Bazkip

Smash Master
I haven't had my appendix removed yet apparently it hasn't been dangerous enough to remove
It's just been on/off painful for the past 4 years
Wow that sucks.
Can you opt to get it removed regardless? Seems likely that you'll need to at some point, so it would save a lot of pain and trouble in the meantime.

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
If it's not necessary, it's elective surgery.
So basically I have to wait until it's about to burst.

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I pretty much only drink beer nowadays, and actually have stopped an hour or two ago so it's wearing off a bit
I really like a local brew called La Fin du Monde (The end of the world)

Bazkip

Smash Master
If it's not necessary, it's elective surgery.
So basically I have to wait until it's about to burst.
Oh right.
Give them some spiel about how the pain and worry negatively impacts you day to day life to try to get it covered.
Make sure to include how the "Worry of this ticking time bomb" causes you severe psychological distress.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Every tournament, I have a character identity crisis in Melee before realizing that I don't particularly like Melee. :<
Melee so clunky

Like a brick

Why are people still trying to play with bricks

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Oh right.
Give them some spiel about how the pain and worry negatively impacts you day to day life to try to get it covered.
Make sure to include how the "Worry of this ticking time bomb" causes you severe psychological distress.
This is good advice. If I were you Shairn, I would get that **** dealt with before it has the potential to harm you or make you uncomfortable. Surgery sucks, but it feels great knowing you got it over with. The drugs take the edge off too.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
When I got my impacted wisdom teeth removed they dosed me up on xanax. No anaesthesia. I blacked out though, so I don't really remember it.

D

Deleted member

3.5 ganon nair is actually incredibly stupid because the auto cancel window is HUGE

that shouldn't be there lmao

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
As much as I dislike mashing, you have to come up with something new and good to replace it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBh8JtxShmk#t=296
Otherwise as much as mashing seems dumb, it's a testament to Smash allowing you to have some control in EVERYTHING. Which is part of why it feels a lot less worse to get owned in than other games.
I agree with the "don't replace it if you don't have a better alternative", but in the same video they mention a mechanic shielding a pummel afterwards, and it made me think that you could make a mindgame out of this.

The mechanic would work like this:
Grab mashing is not possible anymore.
You can enter an animation which gets you out of the grab if completed, which gets interrupted.
You could also enter another animation which would block the pummel.
Now, they are multiple possibilities. depending on how you want to design the game you could design it in a way that the pummelblock would give you a free grabbreak or not. Maybe one could add a third option for the grabbed opponent. If it is wished to make using grabs a little harder that could be an option that breaks the grab if the grabber tries to throw (probably it should have a few frames startup before the active window so you can always get a throw with very good timing, but you might not get it if you somehow mess your timing up, similar to a situation facing someone with good mashing skills).
How much startup, active frames and cooldown the pummelblock, the throwcounter or the grabbreak has could be adjusted in a way that the average outcome is similar to the current Smash mechanics, just with actually different options and without the "silly" mashing mechanic.

This would be my way, tell me what you think about it.

Foo

Smash Lord
ugh. I had a terrible day yesterday, and I even cut my thumb right where I use the c-stick a day before the tournament I've been waiting over a month for T-T and to top it all of, when I finally managed to fall asleep after 2 PM, my body apparently decided it was just a nap and I woke up at 6 am. Oh well, I probably won't be able to play with my thumb hurting anyway. Just guess I'll chug coffee and water all day and commentate all the matches lol. Thank god PM is on stream, I guess.

Any ideas on how to play through a thumb that hurts like hell when exposed to the slightest pressure?

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Let's make this simple: why do you need pummel period?

Have a 5 frame (random number) window to throw an opponent you grabbed and if you don't input a direction the grab is broken. Doesn't apply to a cargo or chokehold grab obviously.

Simple, you don't need a pummel replacement when the mechanic itself is superfluous or that weird Touhou game where pummels do no damage.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
OodleNoodleOmpagis
Sober AMA
I agree with the "don't replace it if you don't have a better alternative", but in the same video they mention a mechanic shielding a pummel afterwards, and it made me think that you could make a mindgame out of this.

The mechanic would work like this:
Grab mashing is not possible anymore.
You can enter an animation which gets you out of the grab if completed, which gets interrupted.
You could also enter another animation which would block the pummel.
Now, they are multiple possibilities. depending on how you want to design the game you could design it in a way that the pummelblock would give you a free grabbreak or not. Maybe one could add a third option for the grabbed opponent. If it is wished to make using grabs a little harder that could be an option that breaks the grab if the grabber tries to throw (probably it should have a few frames startup before the active window so you can always get a throw with very good timing, but you might not get it if you somehow mess your timing up, similar to a situation facing someone with good mashing skills).
How much startup, active frames and cooldown the pummelblock, the throwcounter or the grabbreak has could be adjusted in a way that the average outcome is similar to the current Smash mechanics, just with actually different options and without the "silly" mashing mechanic.

This would be my way, tell me what you think about it.
I would like Mashing (grab/sleep breaking) in a perfect world.
-It essentially has no human reachable limit towards how good you can get at it (barring someone mastering a Brawl quirk involving d-pad and custom controls or something)
-Can be done in various ways and forms (aside from rotating the control stick being the most essential)
-Rotating the stick can screw up your DI from fast throws, and hitting buttons possibly performing an accidental move (though unlikely you'd get out of hitstun fast enough to)
-Is intuitive to "struggle" and "mash" to break out of things, making you feel like you really did mash out of something (I don't find it that intuitive for breaking out of sleep/shield break though; my mind would pry better imagine pressing A while they're wobbling side to side like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4D6wjdhGxY )

But we have to consider its effects on the controller, our hands, and the people who's hands might already be at a detriment (and why we're testing this ability in the first place).

You don't have to go all that crazy to get a decent mash, but at a high level you're like anything else giving yourself a detriment by not doing a near optimal mash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgsh36W9u0o#t=375 look at Dr.PP lol, and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lll3Jj2PWw Rat creating the percussion for his new song Set me free

It's essentially awesome to watch people have to physically go nuts for a split second to try and break out of things (punishing them IRL). And is a unique skill (giving certain players a talent that other top mental players might lack). But like I said I don't appreciate it on myself when my hands don't feel like mashing, and sure won't appreciate it later on as years go by: when there's many methods we could think of that could have similar depth that don't rely on pretty much physical spasm. There will always be a miss for it though if it was replaced, being it's a unique moment in the game where you don't care what you press for once and just need to go crazy.

I can't fully comprehend your proposed method (at least for now): you should make a video on it or some kind of picture guide

And this is all talk I mean towards grab breaking. Stuff for single button mash (MK/Mario/Luigi) is probably a lot more dumb and unnecessarily tiring.

Oh I got it: as soon as you get grabbed the game goes into a Pokemon Stadium 2 Mini-game and you either win and break out or are stuck for a time comparable to however badly you lost ^_^
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jATX9uB-bUE#t=512 I miss the good old times of playing this with my Cousin =(

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
OodleNoodleOmpagis
Sober AMA

I would like Mashing (grab/sleep breaking) in a perfect world.
-It essentially has no human reachable limit towards how good you can get at it (barring someone mastering a Brawl quirk involving d-pad and custom controls or something)
-Can be done in various ways and forms (aside from rotating the control stick being the most essential)
-Rotating the stick can screw up your DI from fast throws, and hitting buttons possibly performing an accidental move (though unlikely you'd get out of hitstun fast enough to)
-Is intuitive to "struggle" and "mash" to break out of things, making you feel like you really did mash out of something (I don't find it that intuitive for breaking out of sleep/shield break though; my mind would pry better imagine pressing A while they're wobbling side to side like the Jinx mini-game in Pokemon Stadium 2)

But we have to consider its effects on the controller, our hands, and the people who's hands might already be at a detriment (and why we're testing this ability in the first place).

You don't have to go all that crazy to get a decent mash, but at a high level you're like anything else giving yourself a detriment by not doing a near optimal mash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgsh36W9u0o#t=375 look at Dr.PP lol, and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lll3Jj2PWw Rat creating the percussion for his new song Set me free

It's essentially awesome to watch people have to physically go nuts for a split second to try and break out of things (punishing them IRL). And is a unique skill (giving certain players a talent that other top mental players might lack). But like I said I don't appreciate it on myself when my hands don't feel like mashing, and sure won't appreciate it later on as years go by: when there's many methods we could think of that could have similar depth that don't rely on pretty much physical spasm. There will always be a miss for it though if it was replaced, being it's a unique moment in the game where you don't care what you press for once and just need to go crazy.

I can't fully comprehend your proposed method (at least for now): you should make a video on it or some kind of picture guide

And this is all talk I mean towards grab breaking. Stuff for single button mash (MK/Mario/Luigi) is probably a lot more dumb and unnecessarily tiring.
I think mashing is somehow unique and as long as there is no better alternative, it is OK, but on the other hand it is replaceworthy because there is no strategic element in it (even guaranteed combos normally have an element of reaction in it) and on the longrun it damages controller and hand.

I don't feel confident with making videos (never made one lol), but to explain my proposed method in a very basic way:
You give the grabbed player more options making it more of a mindgame thing, while balancing those options in a way that the average result will be similar to the results now.

I will try to explain it more clearly here. I have a bad attitude of making complicated sentences and grammatical constructions which make my points harder to understand. I will try to work on that.

Here would be one example of a proposed method, there might be others.

Options of the grabber (not including waiting):
PUMMEL: Deals damage.
ANY THROW: Functions differently and has different purposes depending on the throw.

Options of the grabbed player (not including waiting):
GRABBREAK: Initiates an animation, which, if it is completed, lets you out of the grab.
PUMMELBLOCK: "Shields" a pummel.
THROWCOUNTER: Has a few startup frames, followed by active frames.

Possible scenarios:
PUMMEL vs GRABBREAK: Pummel cancels the grabbreak animation and deals the damage.
PUMMEL vs PUMMELBLOCK: The damage isn't dealt. The grabbed player now has a frame advantage that could, depending on the timing, be enough to complete a grabbreak animation.
PUMMEL vs THROWCOUNTER: Pummel cancels the throwcounter animation and deals the damage.
ANY THROW vs GRABBREAK: The throw is executed.
ANY THROW vs PUMMELBLOCK: The throw is executed.
ANY THROW vs THROWCOUNTER: The grabbed player is released from the grab.

Additional:
Some of the grabbed players' option's frame data should be percentage-dependent so you can get more damage in at higher percentage, in average.
The throwcounter's startup animation is long enough that an instant throw after getting the grab cannot be throw-countered.

Advantages for the grabbed player:
The grabbed player can now choose between several options, and if he gets a read he can punish a greedy pummel or a mistimed throw.

Advantages for the grabber:
The grabbed player has to do someting to get out.
If you don't mess up, it is still always possible to get the throw of your choice when you grabbed someone.

Some more thoughts:
A third option (maybe initiated by pressing special) for the grabber might be worth considering. It could be designed in a way that it creates the advantage for the grabber at higher %s, so one wouldn't have to mess with the frame data of the other moves. After all, percentage-dependent frame data is a bit odd. One would need playtesting to see what works better. And if it turns out the grabber doesn't need the third option, I would try to keep it rather simple.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I can get behind replacing or removing pummel and/or grab button mashing, but I have no idea why you want to introduce so many new mechanics. You should not be able to tech grabs in smash.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
3.5 ganon nair is actually incredibly stupid because the auto cancel window is HUGE

that shouldn't be there lmao
it's the same window as 3.0, just pushed up to match the current hitboxes. you can play with that nair exactly the same way you played with it in 3.0. grats on not knowing the character, you scrublord.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
it's the same window as 3.0, just pushed up to match the current hitboxes. you can play with that nair exactly the same way you played with it in 3.0. grats on not knowing the character, you scrublord.
In which case it's always been stupid and you guys have been holding out on us. >=[

Ganon in general is kinda dumb this patch. I never really find new stuff about him that makes me rate him lower.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
In which case it's always been stupid and you guys have been holding out on us. >=[

Ganon in general is kinda dumb this patch. I never really find new stuff about him that makes me rate him lower.
Rating Ganon Lower

Wat

It's almost like you didn't know that Ganon was bad last patch or something

Top Bottom