• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I really appreciate it; thank you. I can totally take notes/possibly even edit them for you, that'd be no problem.

Also one more question; how do you know so much about Super Smash Brother? I barely know much about the game but I want to start reading up on Melee a lot; I hope to be as knowledgeable as you are with PM, especially since I want to start commentating.
Thanks, what's your Youtube account (and you don't let other people use it right?). I'll grant you access. Maybe rename the video to what it shows "Mango vs Armada/Shiz Pt1", put in the description time stamps to skip him going longly AFK or playing League ( 0:01- 0:59 , 2:30- 3:50 [these then become clickable for people]; otherwise if like a third of the video is League you can use the Youtube editor "Enhance?" and then trim the video and "Save As" and make the previous video private and renamed to NOT USED* and so on; and then add them all to one single playlist in some kind of order. You can even use the "Remix'er" or something to combine them (it works to make up to 2hour videos I think).
My skype is James.madway

First question you must ask yourself is why we all exist.
Second is why Melee exists.
One thing you can gain from being adequate on game knowledge and utilization is think for yourself why and what mechanics are probably good or not, and why Sakurai may have made them. And have an appreciation for how well Melee was designed. If the hitstun/shieldstun formula was different you'd screw things up, if tech rolls were any faster or slower you'd screw things up (in regards to human reaction time), if Brawl landing detection was in Melee you'd kill a bunch of depth and stuff, and so on. Why did Sakurai restrict AD through IASA? Why did he add L-cancelling? Why was Up-smash/Up-b and grab allowed to cancel Jumpsquat? Why can we Dash dance? Find out what forbidden DI is (Can't SDI downwards otherwise you'd cancel hitstun out many attacks by touching the ground), come to your conclusions on mashing to break out of grabs, realize that every stage in Melee he messed with something to not let us center towards one perfect stage (Yoshi's shyguys, sloped edges, randall; Dreamland wind; Battlefield weird ledges and no wall to ride up; PS2 transforming; FoD moving platforms; FD no platforms). Buy component cables (if your CRT accepts them like mine does) and look at how much more amazing Melee/PM looks. Stare at Bowser on Raging Rapids and admire how good it all looks, then walk slow or fast at different speeds with your analog stick and observe his well animated walk animation and sound effect vary. Realize that what way you were facing when you landed from being hit determines different get-up attack animations, realize that being over 100% has different roll/attack ledge animations, realize that every character has variable attributes for their fall speed, fast fall speed, air weaving, top air speed, dash speed, run acceleration, top run speed, walk speed, weight, jumpsquat, landing lag, shield size, ledge grab box size, spot dodge, shield and tech rolls and tech in place, item throw speeds, and even things like shield drop timings for Zelda being lower than normal, Link being able to act after a ledge grab sooner than normal, Peach and Zelda being able to FFall their air dodge. Their hurtboxes and collision points differ, their jump heights differ for SH FH and DJ, their wavedash lengths differ from their traction variable, their crouch heights differ, only some can WJ, only some can grab the ledge with their up-b backwards and spacies can only turn theirs around if they ride up a wall/ledge, their grab lengths and speed differ. Realize that IASA and Autocancel on moves is used to make animations allow gameplay to be fast, fluid, and realistic. Realize that this game has percentages, and has DI/SDI, and Double Stick DI with the C-stick, and shield size health decay and knockback(from your traction and the KB of the attack), and light shielding and shield angling (both being variable from your stick being analog and your shoulder trigger being analog to allow dozens of light shield sizes and in how far the shield is pushed outward beyond its directional angle), and shield DI/SDI, a half dozen tech options including wall teching, a half dozen ledge options, falling normal or fast falling, charging a smash attack, aiming certain f-tilts/f-smashes either slightly upward or downward, four different throws all being different for each character as well as the option to pummel, moves having things such as invincibility vs intangibility on any specific limb's hurtbox or armor types and transcendent priority and the ability to halt gravity or generate windboxes and be ledge cancelled, hitboxes having base knockback and knockback growth and DMG and angle, formulas for whether moves clank or not based on it being an aerial attack and its damage, aiming marth's up-b slightly more forward, over a hundred firefox/firebird angles, air dodging having a hundred different angles as well as length. Realize some moves can be meteor cancelled, be grateful this game runs at 60fps.

Posted while sick at 1am
How the **** do I english

@ SpiderMad SpiderMad to retain grip while springless you can just remove the plastic column from the inside of the shoulder button of an unused controller, and place it inside the shoulder button you use to push it to full exension without a spring, allowing to click at nearly full extension.

Also wtf that quote is from ages ago goddamn
I can remember every post, and someday when this thread goes into the Wiafu apocalypse I will quote posts from old to stay sane.

For Melee I have a controller with a weak hard press (buttery/near-nonrecognizable) [it got that way from my casual friends using it a decade ago] and what seems like thus also weak springs. So it's good for Melee/Fullset, but I like it less for Light press a tad cus of the weak springs.

Which plastic column? 9bit somehow used a 3rd party controller or something
http://smashboards.com/threads/any-...ler-modifications.335701/page-2#post-16168790

So many controllers are bad out there with the hard press.
Oh my controller's hard press doesn't recognize, gotta fix that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w9NMFxU1Eg (this is my light press controller)
Oh and it's tough as heck, gotta weaken it some. And the springs too (or remove/shorten them; and then add a spacer. And now you can't play certain other GC games and Smash 4)
http://youtu.be/tL3zzBMGPaY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwJ20lYS9bw&list=UU5kTkoEn9jKYDhQ0p2nz9IA#t=1359
Oh and it's missing the metal bar to keep it from getting stuck, gotta take it from another's (among other problems where they mention the bars not even the real issue it's the whole trigger itself, and thus swap the whole backside)
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2940c9/white_controller_shoulder_buttons_replacement/
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2909o1/i_solved_the_stiff_triggers_on_my_new_white/
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/1y9c3t/i_finally_got_around_to_modding_my_controllers/
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/293lzr/replacing_new_gc_triggers/
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/292x0r/a_detailed_overview_of_the_white_gcn_controller/
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/294l4t/platinum_controllers_seem_to_have_the_same/
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/293p8v/would_sanding_down_the_triggers_help/
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/1y9xbm/new_controller_triggers/
And it vibrates/resonates annoyingly on hard press (this is one of the biggest annoyances to me, I don't know why some have this worse than others; I don't even mind rumble but find this super annoying)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1EMIfb8Dbo#t=234

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again

OMFG LOL

edit: wow my sig is nice I really enjoy looking at it

also now I'm thinking of buying usfiv whoops just bought skullgirls still need a fight stick do I have money for this and textbooks? lol probably not

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I knew I was missing something for my night. Remebered I needed my nightly dose of SpiderMad/Bamsey/1FD/ICG.

Mad imagine how successful we could be if we could trade smash knowledge for equal amounts of understanding in a different field?

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
If Bowser frame data and quirks were a currency I'd have dropped out of school by now

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I feel like Spidermad has certain trigger words that just cause him to make quality infodump posts.

Ramz289

Smash Journeyman
'sup dweebs

Hope everone had a not-so-bad holidays. Christmas isn't that big of a thing in my family, but it was alright.

Lol @ me complaning about a hair haircut on my 100th post (wasn't that bad just a long wait lol).

You guys are dweebs.

I got steam on my computer again so if anyone wants to add me (for some reason) my thing is ThisGuy198. I'm broke and on a not-so-great laptop so don't expect to play with me much. This holiday sale tho? Ima try to nab skullgirls, Beowulf HYPE (but dat mic is 2 OP MikeZ plz omg). I'll to get Divekick at least.

@ SpiderMad SpiderMad Yeah I'm willing to help out with the editing and the organizing and all that good stuff
Also, I followed the link you posted and got Supercade!!11 :D:D I couldn't get my stick to work at first so I used my brother's xbox controller, and it was great. I kept trying to l cancel my jump ins, trying tec knockdowns and tried jumping with the Y button :laugh:. I haven't tried to play other people because im scared my computer will be dumb and wont let me :(

You guy's are still dweebs..

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I just beat Dead Rising 2: OTR, got Ending S and.... Sweet Lord.
That plot twist.... it's so stupid, crazy, and ridiculous, and was made to eff with those who beat Vanilla DR2.

It's... it's like something out of Metal Gear Solid 2...... Minus the Nanomachines.

Both are dumb and fun games overall, and dumb, over the top violence in games is something I enjoy.

Dragon Quest 8 is next because my old 3rd party went kaputz and I lost my DQ8 saves... among others.

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Playing Roy vs Bowser in Melee, hit Bowser with counter off his dtilt at pretty high percent, like 160, he flew off but surprisingly bounced against the top of the screen and went down at a serious angle

The **** just happened

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Playing Roy vs Bowser in Melee, hit Bowser with counter off his dtilt at pretty high percent, like 160, he flew off but surprisingly bounced against the top of the screen and went down at a serious angle

The **** just happened
Invisible ceiling glitch, was common with Roy/Luigi and a few others.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
It has to do with getting hit soon after hitting a shield or intangible/invincible thing.

Edit this is completely wrong, it's Apperantly just has to do with hitting people out of ground moves and sending them at the correct trajectories
marth/Roy counters do it often. Luigis get it a lot too when people hit their wd smashes OoS (fox upsmash OoS on a luigi wd upsmash is like guarenteed to cause it or something)

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Mad imagine how successful we could be if we could trade smash knowledge for equal amounts of understanding in a different field?
Actually, you could do both...If you went and read books/watched relevant news/did some research instead of just wondering about the possibilities.
Act on your ideas, don't become apathetic about them.
*GFYCat stuff*testing....why does it make it huge?
Because.

Why are you putting a "D" in front of weebs?

Man the IMDb forums are worse than YouTube
Yeesh
That Guy With The Glasses. Any forums that are at all associated with his stuff.
...And shudder at what happens when imbeciles are allowed to think.

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
One thing you can gain from being adequate on game knowledge and utilization is think for yourself why and what mechanics are probably good or not, and why Sakurai may have made them. And have an appreciation for how well Melee was designed. If the hitstun/shieldstun formula was different you'd screw things up, if tech rolls were any faster or slower you'd screw things up (in regards to human reaction time), if Brawl landing detection was in Melee you'd kill a bunch of depth and stuff, and so on. Why did Sakurai restrict AD through IASA? Why did he add L-cancelling? Why was Up-smash/Up-b and grab allowed to cancel Jumpsquat? Why can we Dash dance? Find out what forbidden DI is (Can't SDI downwards otherwise you'd cancel hitstun out many attacks by touching the ground), come to your conclusions on mashing to break out of grabs, realize that every stage in Melee he messed with something to not let us center towards one perfect stage (Yoshi's shyguys, sloped edges, randall; Dreamland wind; Battlefield weird ledges and no wall to ride up; PS2 transforming; FoD moving platforms; FD no platforms). Buy component cables (if your CRT accepts them like mine does) and look at how much more amazing Melee/PM looks. Stare at Bowser on Raging Rapids and admire how good it all looks, then walk slow or fast at different speeds with your analog stick and observe his well animated walk animation and sound effect vary. Realize that what way you were facing when you landed from being hit determines different get-up attack animations, realize that being over 100% has different roll/attack ledge animations, realize that every character has variable attributes for their fall speed, fast fall speed, air weaving, top air speed, dash speed, run acceleration, top run speed, walk speed, weight, jumpsquat, landing lag, shield size, ledge grab box size, spot dodge, shield and tech rolls and tech in place, item throw speeds, and even things like shield drop timings for Zelda being lower than normal, Link being able to act after a ledge grab sooner than normal, Peach and Zelda being able to FFall their air dodge. Their hurtboxes and collision points differ, their jump heights differ for SH FH and DJ, their wavedash lengths differ from their traction variable, their crouch heights differ, only some can WJ, only some can grab the ledge with their up-b backwards and spacies can only turn theirs around if they ride up a wall/ledge, their grab lengths and speed differ. Realize that IASA and Autocancel on moves is used to make animations allow gameplay to be fast, fluid, and realistic. Realize that this game has percentages, and has DI/SDI, and Double Stick DI with the C-stick, and shield size health decay and knockback(from your traction and the KB of the attack), and light shielding and shield angling (both being variable from your stick being analog and your shoulder trigger being analog to allow dozens of light shield sizes and in how far the shield is pushed outward beyond its directional angle), and shield DI/SDI, a half dozen tech options including wall teching, a half dozen ledge options, falling normal or fast falling, charging a smash attack, aiming certain f-tilts/f-smashes either slightly upward or downward, four different throws all being different for each character as well as the option to pummel, moves having things such as invincibility vs intangibility on any specific limb's hurtbox or armor types and transcendent priority and the ability to halt gravity or generate windboxes and be ledge cancelled, hitboxes having base knockback and knockback growth and DMG and angle, formulas for whether moves clank or not based on it being an aerial attack and its damage, aiming marth's up-b slightly more forward, over a hundred firefox/firebird angles, air dodging having a hundred different angles as well as length. Realize some moves can be meteor cancelled, be grateful this game runs at 60fps.
I suppose not even all of this was planned by Sakurai, but he knew a few key things which were really important and he is probably good with probabilistic complexity estimation (weird word), too. He knew that if he would create a lot of variables where the characters differ, the game's complexity would increase rapidly and the metagame's little details which make the game so good would then form by itself. You can also see in the game that he tried to five a few characters unique disadvantages designed in an obious and direct form, rather than a weakness against a certain strategy (Samus' roll, Yoshi's not existing jump OoS, Bowser's long jumpsquat, Pichu, ...) and those weren't so successful and got patched out in PM. So I don't think Sakurai intended everything and some stuff didn't work well, but bringing in so many details made it.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
if you happy and u know clap your cheeks
why do i find sonic mains stupid
please guess, ill luv u 5ever

also, someone asked me to explain mew2king in a sentence, was i right
http://bit.ly/13B5YNk
no
m2k is like that weird nerd kid, who grew up in that pair of sweat pants, and is now beasting all up and down your virgin body, on you favorite video game!

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I let friends drink at my house and one decided to repay me by pissing on the carpet

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Colds suck
I don't feel sick enough to lay in bed all day, but I'm sick enough that I shouldn't be doing much, and sick enough that I have to quarantine myself from my cousins that are visiting.
at least I have time to update/reevaluate my smash notebook and character goals. And learn decapre slowly.

Top Bottom