• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I want to be like Aerodrome senpai, make useful topics and kick bums out of them~

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I want to be like Aerodrome senpai, make useful topics and kick bums out of them~
Step 1: Find a bum in a box
Step 2: Talk about your topic near the box
Step 3: Kick bum out of box for not contributing

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Jesus ****ing christ guys just let me be happy for a moment

#gamergate

game journalism and reviews mean 1000% **** to me because of gamergate bull****
I don't really know much about the whole gamergate thing. What exactly happened?

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
okay what I gathered from gamergate: gaming journalism is ****, but that's not what gamergate told us (the kotaku allegations were false)

it's that the general gaming community is full of misogynistic asswipes and a very very vocal minority send death threats to women

Player -0

Smash Hero
I can't deal with delusional people who like to throw vague arguments and terrible anecdotes around.

The only thing I deduced from that experience is that the Rosalina fan in question was an idiot.
I still want to know how you did the weight and stuff. I feel like I almost have it but I have no memory whatsoever. Something about plugging it into Brawl using 1337 H4X then comparing weight. Also testing clown car varying via doing damage and then dividing through or something.

I noticed this earlier when working on challenges, but they also fall pretty fast. Bowser died at 2.0x from a samus dtilt at 0% while Bowser Jr would survive two of them.
Bowser Jr. takes less (I believe .75%) damage on the clown car part of his body. I'm not sure how this affects knockback though. Aerodrome probably knows.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
It's that the general gaming community is full of misogynistic *******s and a very very vocal minority send death threats to women

The problem is that people like that are allowed to do that without dire/violent retribution for their stupidity and vice.
I don't get what the hold-up is.

Last edited:

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
afaik gamergate is basically a call out on how ****ed up gaming "journalism" is, with paid reviews, blatant bias, and not wanting to do actual reporting
Gaming "Journalists" are also known to use minorities as shields to protect themselves from criticism (#Notyourshield on twitter)

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
actually what's more interesting is the idea that gaming culture as it was previously known is falling apart and those who used to identify themselves "gamers" now are faced with a completely different set of societal assumptions a whole new group of people who identify as "gamers" and that those tensions were released in unfortunately misogynistic ways

as for the whole #notyourshield thing I think it's more telling about the deep-seated misogyny in the gaming community than anything. People have known that gaming journalism is **** for awhile, but yet it took false allegations of conflict of interest with very sexist overtones to mobilize the mass of the gaming community to care.

Bleck

Smash Master
@ Bleck Bleck Combos in Melee aren't true for the most part, there's a lot of interaction between the two players in the form of DI and tech chases, it's just that they're harder to escape than in Sm4sh or Brawl, where characters are so floaty it takes a monster read to follow up on anything that sends off vertically or to tech chase.
I can agree with this.

I can't say I agree with movement options rewarding defnsive play. When you have more movement options and are more free to maneuver around your opponent, it becomes much more worthwhile to try and bait things out since you can actually punish them. The less movement options, the more predictable your movement is, and the more every movement becomes a commitment.
My thing is that I believe that moving around trying to bait out stuff to punish is inherently defensive, you know? You're using your movement to try and force your opponent into reacting aggressively, without actually committing to any offensive actions. I guess it's just a perception thing - there's not necessarily a right answer, here.

I would like to challenge the assertion that to bait and punish is to play defensively. The bait itself is a non-committed offensive action used to force the opponent into a committed defensive action that can be punished. This is a necessary offensive tool given that any committed offensive action performed in neutral will be punished by a competent opponent. Either way, movement options generally benefit both offense and defense fairly equally.
Like I said above, I think this boils down to perception - I don't believe that not doing something should count as aggression, but I also don't think you're wrong to see it that way.

There is no such thing as safe shield pressure in Melee. The closest thing to it would be frame perfect multishines and even that can be thwarted with shield DI. Additionally, escaping shield pressure is less dependent on frame perfect inputs and is instead more about learning what points in the shield pressure are safe and which are not. The reason why people like Mango make shield pressure look inescapable is because they know how to make themselves unpredictable enough to generally not get punished for their pressure.
Learning at what 'points' trying to escape shield pressure is safe is functionally identical to learning at what 'frames' these things are safe. I don't think you can separate the technical aspect of it - you have to know when to react, yes, but you also have to be able to do it, which I think we can all agree is very difficult.

The only real problem with Vectoring is that it seemingly has less depth than DI. You will always want to vector away during combos in order to get more knockback but the same hitstun and try to escape the combo, whereas with DI you end up with things like PM Ness's down throw where you're DI determines what he gets to hit you with next and you decide accordingly. It's not game breaking or terrible but I can see why someone would prefer DI over vectoring.
Like I said the last time somebody brought up vectoring, I don't really understand how DI works. I just, I read about it on SSBWiki and my brain seems incapable of wrapping around it - I was always under the impression that DI functioned like I'm being told vectoring functions (hold direction to affect your knockback). As a part of the metagame I'm not well versed in, I'm not really attached to it, nor can I really make a valid judgment as to whether or not it's better than vectoring.

Edgehogging forces the opponent to recover to the stage where the endlag of their recovery can be punished. By removing edgehogging they have removed a tool from the arsenal of the edgeguarding player and made it easier to get back to the stage. That's all there is to it, really.
I get that - but that's not a bad thing. I previously spearheaded a big dumb argument (in this thread, I think!) about edgehogging, and like I said then, I think that edgehogging was the single biggest contributor to many characters in Melee being essentially unplayable at higher levels of play. I'll try to find those posts later, 'cause I just plain don't feel like writing it all out again.

Having to land a smash attack in order to get a KO isn't really ideal. Because Smash attacks are grounded, stationary, and typically have relatively long startup, landing them on a competent player is going to generally require that you make a hard read. They also tend to have long endlag so whiffing one is more than likely going to get you punished. This, combined with the relative safety of defenseive options like shielding and rolling, results in a situation in which most reliable kill options are so risky that you'd rather just wait until your opponent goofs and you can punish them instead of actively trying to kill them and risk losing your own stock.
But making a hard read, waiting until your opponent goofs, is what you just said makes additional movement options a good thing. Why is it that waiting for your opponent to make a mistake in Melee is aggressive, but doing the same in Smash 4 (or Brawl) is too defensive?

Bleck

Smash Master
Gamergate.

---

Innocent gamer boy man: Wow I can't wait for another day of shoving NES cartridges up my asshole

Mean angry sjw feminazi: I am femmebot6000.
My pronouns are straw/strawman/
strawself.

Gaemer guy: Holy ****

SJW: I am here to delete all your
video games forever... Unless
they're Gone Home!
Prepare to have fun eradicated!

Gamer:Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

*Sjw sends a virus to poor gamer's computer called ANITA_SARSLEEZYAN.exe

Gamer tries to open up steam.... but instead there's a popup that says "steam, more like steaming pile of ****!!!!!!"

Gamer [crying]: why would youo do this mean thing?

SJW [with an illuminati pyramid for a face]: Because I am a
gender witch and I hate fun!

Mario [turning towards the camera and lowering his hat while a tear rolls down his face]: It's-a game over.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
As if SJWs actually had the intellect to do anything technical.

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
I am an sjw

my tag is sjw

social justice wario

but really tho the demonization of sjws (in fact just using it as an insult in the first place) is a ****ty strawman in and of itself and idk what the negative connotation of being for equality is

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
There are ****ty people in all groups.

The biggest issues with gamergate is ****ty game journalism and a complete lack of journalism ethics AND how 3rd wave feminists are hellbent on shaping the future landscape of gaming with political and extreme feminists overtones.

which is complete bull****.

there are misogynists who are on the progg side, but there are also misandrists who are anti-gg.

there have been death threats from the progg side, but for like the past month, a majority of the bigot and racist sayings and death threats and doxxing have been anti-gg.

anti-gg have been highly hypocritical and rarely do they have actual legit discussion.

the origins of gamergate, aka quinnspiracy dont even matter anymore and no one who is progg is even focusing on that anymore.

no one who is progg condones any ****ty action on either side. but time and time again, anti-gg have done some ****ty things, and they dont even bring it up and slam it.

its nonsense.

people like leigh alexander and ben kuchera shouldnt be leading figures in game journalism because they've been caught injecting their personal ideologies into gaming where it shouldnt exist beyond a niche group.

I am an sjw
my tag is sjw
social justice wario
but really tho the demonization of sjws (in fact just using it as an insult in the first place) is a ****ty strawman in and of itself and idk what the negative connotation of being for equality is
SJW is derogatory because of the insanity that people who label themselves as SJW have brought to the forefront.

there is nothing wrong with equality and egalitarianism, but a lot of extremists, people in need of serious mental assistance, and just misguided people have taken up the SJW label and they've caused irreversible harm to the label.

i agree that someone who labels themself as a SJW shouldnt be ignored or not taken seriously, but it hard to be given credibly when you don a tag that's held extremely poorly.

Last edited:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
avoiding labels is not possible in this day and age. if you dont label yourself, you'll still be labeled by others because its deeply ingrained into the human psyche as its a tool that allows us to understand things.

this is why stereotypes are useful and not inherently a bad thing. they serve a very neutral purpose, but more often than not, it's the individual who misuse stereotypes.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Ayyyy fo real tho.

Just as there are people who hate women. There are people who hate men.

There are people of all wakes of life, nigga. V:

Last edited:

Paradoxium

Smash Master
When you first see something your brain automatically starts applying past experiences and prejudices in order to help you understand it better

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
If you don't label yourself people will actually have to get to know you to some extent before they start putting tags on you.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
It does suck for Metacritic scores when a review boils down to "I was too distracted by her lady parts to actually play the game, how sexist of a pixel lady to show flesh and turn me on like that!"

Sounded to me like Gies has his own issues to deal with, or just likes writing click bait, either one.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
If you don't label yourself people will actually have to get to know you to some extent before they start putting tags on you.
This is totally not true.

There are some really ignorant people who will label you even if you're labelless.

That **** is enabled in society, bruh.

It does suck for Metacritic scores when a review boils down to "I was too distracted by her lady parts to actually play the game, how sexist of a pixel lady to show flesh and turn me on like that!"

Sounded to me like Gies has his own issues to deal with, or just likes writing click bait, either one.
Yeah. Letting your ideological beliefs affect a game's rating is super ****ty man.

Blue cheese salad dressing is horrible
You are so ****ing wrong and your opinion is wrong and you should not only feel wrong, but bad. and horrible.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I'll see if there's some variations out there to try, but it tastes like some other food(s) that have gone rancid

Last edited:
Top Bottom