• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Online Matchmaking Thread (Wii)

ChaosQualm

Smash Apprentice
GGS dizzy. As I suspected my Sheik is better than my Marth despite me putting more time into the latter :/

I guess Sheik just rewards fundamentals better whereas with Marth you really need to know your percents on every character to get those kill setups to make him really count.

Anyway, if you want advice let me know.

Edit:

Errr won more? Unless my memory is faulty you didn't win at all...

I could definitely tell lag was affecting you, or maybe just rust. You had issues with recovering at times even when I wasn't edge guarding.

Last edited:

dizzypink

Smash Lord
GGS dizzy. As I suspected my Sheik is better than my Marth despite me putting more time into the latter :/

I guess Sheik just rewards fundamentals better whereas with Marth you really need to know your percents on every character to get those kill setups to make him really count.

Anyway, if you want advice let me know.
Nah, it's just that Sheiks that grab a lot are hard for me to play even without lag. Marth's main point that helps him is his insane edgeguarding and you do that really well.

ChaosQualm

Smash Apprentice
Nah, I'm not good at edge guarding with Marth, I let you back for free way too many times. I'm much better at it as DK, Sheik or even Falco.

ChaosQualm

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of which I wanted to tell you, don't be afraid to shield grab if my move is in range and it has significant lag. Those Falco dairs were not safe for example, you definitely could have shield grabbed them.

Of course, if I know you are fishing for it, I can space just outside your grab range so it whiffs and I get a punish. So you have to be sure they are in range for the grab.

dizzypink

Smash Lord
Speaking of which I wanted to tell you, don't be afraid to shield grab if my move is in range and it has significant lag. Those Falco dairs were not safe for example, you definitely could have shield grabbed them.

Of course, if I know you are fishing for it, I can space just outside your grab range so it whiffs and I get a punish. So you have to be sure they are in range for the grab.
Right, I know that but I just kinda derp out shield grabs without thinking of it most of the time. I know I gotta work on that and it makes me a little too safe with them.

ChaosQualm

Smash Apprentice
Oh and one more thing, don't always use your recovery move (up B or side B) very early. It seemed to me like you forgot you had a second jump at times. The more comfortable you become off stage and at quickly assessing your options (and what the opponent might do) the less you'll get gimped. I need to work on this heavily as well, still not that used to the recoveries in this game coming from Brawl.

BBOY15

Smash Apprentice
added
4773-4143-4069
do you have me added yet?
ggs Boy
you need to learn how to l cancel and shield grab. these basic techniques will help a ton, trust me. your rob/samus was your best character.
Thanks. I do L cancel a lot but sometimes I forget with Samus and ROB because their shffls are so slow anyways. But you're right, my shield grabbing needs a lot of work.

I have a lot of lag against certain opponents but I'm getting a new router soon.

dizzypink

Smash Lord
Oh and one more thing, don't always use your recovery move (up B or side B) very early. It seemed to me like you forgot you had a second jump at times. The more comfortable you become off stage and at quickly assessing your options (and what the opponent might do) the less you'll get gimped. I need to work on this heavily as well, still not that used to the recoveries in this game coming from Brawl.
Yeah, I think that has to do with how I wiggle out of hitstun, I might even start too soon and waste a jump in my furious tapping. I know what I have to work on, but thanks for the feedback. It helps to see my faults from an opponent's eyes.

dizzypink

Smash Lord
Thanks. I do L cancel a lot but sometimes I forget with Samus and ROB because their shffls are so slow anyways. But you're right, my shield grabbing needs a lot of work.

I have a lot of lag against certain opponents but I'm getting a new router soon.
You know the person specific lag problems on this game don't have to do with connection, but mostly the distance you are from each other.
Though if you have a bad router it won't hurt to replace it.

Last edited:

ChaosQualm

Smash Apprentice
White Light one thing I forgot to mention regarding our two games earlier. You might have noticed I did a lot better vs your Ivysaur this time. I basically realized you fish for Shield Grabs a lot.

That's why I got so many command grabs (flip kick) as Diddy Kong. I just kept doing it when you expected me to hit your shield with something unsafe.

Another counter to shield grab fishing is as I've mentioned above, spacing your move so it's out of range of the grab and then whiff punishing the grab. I got your DDD with this once as well (when I faired, and then Fsmashed knowing the fair was out of range for the grab).

So yeah be careful about just sitting there and auto-piloting for shield grabs. Sometimes you'll try it even when I clearly was hitting behind your shield.

Oh and if you notice any very obvious bad habit I have let me know as well. I think the more we help each other realize our mistakes, the faster we'll get better.

Last edited:

ChaosQualm

Smash Apprentice
Dizzy you down for some games?
Ah right I was supposed to give you advice as well.

Let's see from what I remember you need to be MUCH more aggressive when edge guarding. Often I'd be recovering and you'd be at the middle of the stage doing nothing. Don't let me come back so easily. At the very least use some of the time to heal a bit.

You should also learn to L cancel (iirc you didn't do any) it will make your aerial approaches a lot safer and also allow combos you couldn't do before. Also, learn proper hit confirms for the solar beam, don't just throw it out every-time hoping it will land.

Use your shield more, it seemed every time I went for a grounded hit in neutral it landed, I didn't have to space it to make it safe because you wouldn't block much at all. Of course that doesn't mean you just sit shield but do not forget to use it when the time is right.

Oh and play White Light if you haven't already, I think you can learn a lot from his IvySaur.

Last edited:

waygu

Smash Lord
Chaos are you able to play? Been playing since earlier notibly better gonna take matches seriously and would appreciate critique of this when im able to shffl 50-75% offline atm

Mean Green

Smash Lord
anyone still up for some matches? @ Mean Green Mean Green @ waygu waygu @HBadger333 c:
Late reply but yes I would've been. JW how come you didn't join earlier?

So yeah be careful about just sitting there and auto-piloting for shield grabs. Sometimes you'll try it even when I clearly was hitting behind your shield.

Oh and if you notice any very obvious bad habit I have let me know as well. I think the more we help each other realize our mistakes, the faster we'll get better.
I can't begin to tell you how many people fall for that. I mean sometimes my game is 100% aerial crossup attacks on their back for an entire match and they still try to shield grab me from the wrong direction, on their last stock.

Replays are also ridiculously helpful.

Oh and if there's an ivysaur to learn from, it's JayTheUnseen. Best ivy main in this thread, hands down. Every time I fight him he makes me play worse and worse, like he's chudat's kirby or something.

Last edited:

ChaosQualm

Smash Apprentice
Chaos are you able to play? Been playing since earlier notibly better gonna take matches seriously and would appreciate critique of this when im able to shffl 50-75% offline atm
Unfortunately I'm done for the day but I will be happy to play you tomorrow. I hope my advice has been useful.

And yes doing SHFF 100% of the time when you want to is a must for most character, definitely strive for that.

ChaosQualm

Smash Apprentice
Late reply but yes I would've been. JW how come you didn't join earlier?

I can't begin to tell you how many people fall for that. I mean sometimes my game is 100% aerial crossup attacks on their back for an entire match and they still try to shield grab me from the wrong direction, on their last stock.

Replays are also ridiculously helpful.

Oh and if there's an ivysaur to learn from, it's JayTheUnseen. Best ivy main in this thread, hands down. Every time I fight him he makes me play worse and worse, like he's chudat's kirby or something.
I see, I will look out for them.

I think some people do this because they don't know how to take advantage of other OSS options so they just hope they can get the shield grab.

I know personally I have yet to do wavedashes OOS for punishes. I mean I can do it normally all the time but not when it'd be ideal for a punish. So I let so many Smashes (that you can't shield grab) go unpunished.

It's definitely something I'm going to work on tomorrow.

Last edited:

White Light

Smash Journeyman
White Light one thing I forgot to mention regarding our two games earlier. You might have noticed I did a lot better vs your Ivysaur this time. I basically realized you fish for Shield Grabs a lot.

That's why I got so many command grabs (flip kick) as Diddy Kong. I just kept doing it when you expected me to hit your shield with something unsafe.

Another counter to shield grab fishing is as I've mentioned above, spacing your move so it's out of range of the grab and then whiff punishing the grab. I got your DDD with this once as well (when I faired, and then Fsmashed knowing the fair was out of range for the grab).

rewatching my ivy vs your didy match, it seems you went for fsmashes/dsmashes somewhat frequently when i was at high percents. one of these times I shield grabbed you. I know fsmash with diddy is a very save smash, but i think dash attack or that command grab move you mentioned earlier would be better options.also crouch cancel wrecks ivysaur. dont know why i'm telling you this, since you can already beat me, but oh well, you seem like a fair guy hahaha.

ChaosQualm

Smash Apprentice
rewatching my ivy vs your didy match, it seems you went for fsmashes/dsmashes somewhat frequently when i was at high percents. one of these times I shield grabbed you. I know fsmash with diddy is a very save smash, but i think dash attack or that command grab move you mentioned earlier would be better options.also crouch cancel wrecks ivysaur. dont know why i'm telling you this, since you can already beat me, but oh well, you seem like a fair guy hahaha.
Yeah I have a really bad habit that stems from this mind game as Diddy:

A lot of people no matter which game it is want to drop their shield after blocking a banana successfully. Like not even do anything out of shield, they just drop it. So I get the idea in my head that if I do a delayed Smash after a banana on shield it will work. But this is a pretty dumb gamble to go for so often because as you said, there's safer options. That reminds me, I need to start using Diddy's tilts more.

Diddy's forward Smash isn't actually completely safe. I think you can wavedash forward out of shield to punish it. Or at least whiff punish it.

I see, I had no idea crouch canceling wrecks him. Now that I think about it I don't use crouch cancelling at all unless it's by accident lol. I definitely need to take advantage of that.

Last edited:

SnT Trash

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I have a really bad habit that stems from this mind game as Diddy:

A lot of people no matter which game it is want to drop their shield after blocking a banana successfully. Like not even do anything out of shield, they just drop it. So I get the idea in my head that if I do a delayed Smash after a banana on shield it will work. But this is a pretty dumb gamble to go for so often because as you said, there's safer options. That reminds me, I need to start using Diddy's tilts more.

Diddy's forward Smash isn't actually completely safe. I think you can wavedash forward out of shield to punish it. Or at least whiff punish it.

I see, I had no idea crouch canceling wrecks him. Now that I think about it I don't use crouch cancelling at all unless it's by accident lol. I definitely need to take advantage of that.
They nerfed the frames of the fsmash on diddy so it's actually not difficult to punish.. or you're now able to actually punish

Top Bottom