• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Mewtwo: A Balancing Project

AFROofJUSTICE

Smash Cadet
Look what the PMBR did with Wolf, and Toon Link, Wario, and Ike
They made their playstyle very different and adjusted their moveset accordingly to balance the game out.

I predict Roy to be the very same.
Huh? Wario and Ike were never clones of anyone. But yeah, I really hope Roy isn't a clone. Please PMBR don't make any more clones. They just ruin the uniqueness in the roster -_-. Well as far from I can tell Roy seems to be different. I am still excited for him.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Huh? Wario and Ike were never clones of anyone. But yeah, I really hope Roy isn't a clone. Please PMBR don't make any more clones. They just ruin the uniqueness in the roster -_-. Well as far from I can tell Roy seems to be different. I am still excited for him.
I think what he's saying is that he made them much deeper in playstyle than they were before. I think Roy will be fine. The people that have worked on him seem really dedicated to making him unique and awesome.

Anyway, at least Mewtwo won't be a clone. How funny would it be if they made him into a Lucario clone, though?

roymaster803

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't mind if MewTwo's side special became more like mario's flag in that it simply turns the opponent around, reflects projectiles back at you, and also goes through shields. This time around though the projectiles need to be able to hit someone not just reflect harmlessly back at them. Granted the move should be sped up if this is done to around the same frames or speed as mario's flag.

Down-B would be nice if the effect lasted longer at lower percentages but scaled in duration in a way that wouldn't be abusive at high percentages. It would be interesting if it simply sent them flying away if they were facing away from MewTwo in the same way they fly away if stunned like in melee. He is psychic so think of it as a mental push.

Up smash being multi hit needs to have less DI for opponents so that the move can actually be viable. Otherwise people will just DI right out of it. New tilts would be appreciated, or at least fix the hitboxes so that they are all the same damage and knockback regardless of where the tale hits them. I hated how weak the tippers were even at high percents. A new U-air would be nice, something that can effectively jungle or kill, B-air should be made into a more combo extending type move.

Fixing his jabs would also be very nice, making it a simple two hit knockaway would be better than the multi strike imo. to give him something to back people off if he's being pressured by fox or Falco. Similar to Ganon's tilt but it's two hits. The first hit should set up for the second and able to lead into other moves at higher percents such as a grab or tilt.

Sorry if I just echo what's already on this thread, haven't been on smashboards in months.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind if MewTwo's side special became more like mario's flag in that it simply turns the opponent around, reflects projectiles back at you, and also goes through shields. This time around though the projectiles need to be able to hit someone not just reflect harmlessly back at them. Granted the move should be sped up if this is done to around the same frames or speed as mario's flag.

Down-B would be nice if the effect lasted longer at lower percentages but scaled in duration in a way that wouldn't be abusive at high percentages. It would be interesting if it simply sent them flying away if they were facing away from MewTwo in the same way they fly away if stunned like in melee. He is psychic so think of it as a mental push.

Up smash being multi hit needs to have less DI for opponents so that the move can actually be viable. Otherwise people will just DI right out of it. New tilts would be appreciated, or at least fix the hitboxes so that they are all the same damage and knockback regardless of where the tale hits them. I hated how weak the tippers were even at high percents. A new U-air would be nice, something that can effectively jungle or kill, B-air should be made into a more combo extending type move.

Fixing his jabs would also be very nice, making it a simple two hit knockaway would be better than the multi strike imo. to give him something to back people off if he's being pressured by fox or Falco. Similar to Ganon's tilt but it's two hits. The first hit should set up for the second and able to lead into other moves at higher percents such as a grab or tilt.

Sorry if I just echo what's already on this thread, haven't been on smashboards in months.
This Mewtwo's pretty far along and is going in a direction that's moderately different than a Melee Mewtwo with buffs. Some of your recommendations are already in, though. It's probably best to just try it out and see what you think of it.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
i'll touch on the Roy thing a little later lol, something more important to discuss

is there a more updated version than the one on the OP? because the one that I got from there can't dash dance (i read that he had fixed that). if it is an old version there then my criticism will do no good at all lol. gonna lurk in here for the answer

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
i'll touch on the Roy thing a little later lol, something more important to discuss

is there a more updated version than the one on the OP? because the one that I got from there can't dash dance (i read that he had fixed that). if it is an old version there then my criticism will do no good at all lol. gonna lurk in here for the answer
Y'know, I hadn't checked that before since I hardly do it. I think it was fixed in some version before, though. Nguz probably knows.

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
Here are the updated files. They're not in the OP because they're buggy. M2 can dash dance, but can't actually dash normally - he just settles into his walking animation. He also has a different (very cool) downB, with a slight side effect of falling through the stage if he doesn't jump out of it.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
well... there are gameplay problems that I noticed right away, which is why I asked what I did lol... I played the character as a secondary for a few years in tournament and in serious casuals, so a few things jumped right out at me. if these have been adressed in an update then I will get the newest one and you can ignore these.

(sound effects and such do not count in this, as I know that it is going to change.)

I'm actually sitting here with it on to make sure I get it right.

all idle/walking/running/jumping animations are perfect

Jab: Perfect. the idea for an invisible jab is a stroke of genius, hits very similar to Ganondorf's jab

Ftilt: needs some fine tuning here and there. a bit more knockback maybe. as it stands it doesn't kill even Puff with no DI until 130%+. perhaps a bit chargeable like Wario's? just needs more... impact I guess. PS combines well with the jab if they miss a tech

Uptilt: is good. the back hitbox on it is smaller than in melee though. it might be the other character model throwing me off, might not be. I like the tip dark fire effect

Dtilt: while the look and animation are perfect... the move is not. it does not link into anything, not even itself. far too much recovery to be a combo starter against a human player, doesn't even work against the CPUS

upsmash: perfect... in fact I'd say it's better than melee's. an animation touch up is all it needs, maybe a knockback boost.

dsmash: the hitbox is too small on the side of the move. it is a bit bigger in melee. other than that it's good

fsmash: I'm digging it. look forwards to your updated animation for it. it'll be something that I will have to test against a person before i can give a real opinion on it though.

Nair: I dislike mewtwo's melee Nair, but you did a good job on it. nothing to say lol.

fair: perfect lol. a bit more range could work, unless you already have it as such...

Bair: feels wonky. maybe it needs an animation upgrade lol.

upair: good. could use an electric/dark fire effect. but works the same as melee.

dair: great idea... I am not sure about the hitbox, the timing feels very different. another move to test against people before i give a solid opinion.

slightly better grab range? i like it. dash grab and JC grab are good.

fthrow: better than melee's, bravo

dthrow: looks good, but it is too fast lol. it also doesn't feel like i can move soon enough to tech chase. needs one on one testing.

bthrow: perfect. doesn't need tweaking at all.

uthrow: doesn't allow for the Taj combo easily. acting out of it feels clunky. another move i need to test against people.

running A: works just fine.

Shadowball: better range, will probably hit better. looks good.

I know you are replacing confusion lol, not gonna bother

Barrier: needs a hitbox behind it, needs to hit in the air too... does not activate fast enough to stop laser spam from less than the entire length of FD away. lot's of potential, needs tweaking. which i understand you are doing. work in progress, so far so good. almost a combo move!

Teleport: I will say this now. Frame 8 to move, invulnerable on frame 4 would work best. Super Ultra Ninja cookies is nearly impossible to do consistantly with it being on frame 6. the animation is slick though

final smash: oh. my. god. the POWER. love it. needs more kill power though!... kidding lol

he runs faster, that's good.

his aerial move trick that boosts his second jump doesn't work right. test it in melee, i compared to make sure.

love his taunts, and the effects on the two new ones.

that's all i got for now. not bad for a phone post lol... any questions? :)

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
Actually, your post reminded me of something about Fsmash.

It works like a projectile, meaning that it can be blocked by reflectors and absorbed by Ness and Lucas. Is that intentional?

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
it does? I gotta go test that.

also his wavedash feels awkward and off, needs tweaking. not sure how I forgot to mention that

EDIT: oh snap you're right. I gotta ask the same question now... was that intentional??

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
how is having an fsmash that can be reflected back into your face or absorbed a good thing?

lol I must be missing something.
I just think it's a good weakness for him to have if any. It's clever and requires you to be fast, since you're normally vulnerable if you're getting F-Smashed. Just saying it could keep matchups interesting.

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
It doesn't actually get reflected back, at least not when I tried it, but reflectors do block it.

I don't really see it as a good thing either. It's already pretty unsafe on miss, I shouldn't be able to get ~25% from it as Lucas. That's just silly.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
It doesn't actually get reflected back, at least not when I tried it, but reflectors do block it.

I don't really see it as a good thing either. It's already pretty unsafe on miss, I shouldn't be able to get ~25% from it as Lucas. That's just silly.
That makes sense. I assume it was assigned to one place and couldn't move even if it was reflected, since it would just "flip", if you follow.

The vulnerability may change as the move does, but I didn't consider how much damage it could do. If it were half that, I would be satisfied, but I see your point.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
I'm sort of on the fence. it is an interesting weakness... but giving Lucas and Ness health back with two seperate moves is pretty... well it's bad lol.

could just downsmash instead. *shrugs*

also was testing again, and his fastfall is rediculously fast. once the double jump is fixed he should be able to gimp like melee (which was one of his very very few strengths in that game)

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I'm sort of on the fence. it is an interesting weakness... but giving Lucas and Ness health back with two seperate moves is pretty... well it's bad lol.

could just downsmash instead. *shrugs*

also was testing again, and his fastfall is rediculously fast. once the double jump is fixed he should be able to gimp like melee (which was one of his very very few strengths in that game)
Yeah, it is. haha I am, too, now that the whole 25% thing came up.

Well, yeah.

Just curious, since I was a total noob when I played Melee: what's special about the double jump for gimping? I'd assume Shadow Ball does the job pretty well, even on stage.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Mewtwo's backair gives him a huge boost at the apex of his second jump. he got boosts with all his airs, but the Bair is his most important gimping move in that game.

Shadowball is sort of unreliable because of the zig zag movement. most characters can sweetspot the ledge and avoid it. will be the same with this one lol...

it's hard to describe... eh, it has to do with the melee DJC...

heck with it lol, it'd be better to see what I'm talking about

my last melee combo video, a gimp fest actually... (not available on mobile fyi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXa1fX3LLVc&hl=en&guid=&client=mv-google&gl=US

Taj's last combo video (he is way stinking better than I am/was)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=capoDHrZJng&guid=&client=mv-google&gl=US&hl=en

if you watch these two vídeos, then use the demo mewtwo, you will immeadiatly notice how much smoother the melee version is atm. this one is a work in progress so yeah. downthrow melee style looks better, he is floatier, and his jump is actually higher.

Long road ahead lol

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Mewtwo's backair gives him a huge boost at the apex of his second jump. he got boosts with all his airs, but the Bair is his most important gimping move in that game.

Shadowball is sort of unreliable because of the zig zag movement. most characters can sweetspot the ledge and avoid it. will be the same with this one lol...

it's hard to describe... eh, it has to do with the melee DJC...

heck with it lol, it'd be better to see what I'm talking about

my last melee combo video, a gimp fest actually... (not available on mobile fyi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXa1fX3LLVc&hl=en&guid=&client=mv-google&gl=US

Taj's last combo video (he is way stinking better than I am/was)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=capoDHrZJng&guid=&client=mv-google&gl=US&hl=en

if you watch these two vídeos, then use the demo mewtwo, you will immeadiatly notice how much smoother the melee version is atm. this one is a work in progress so yeah. downthrow melee style looks better, he is floatier, and his jump is actually higher.

Long road ahead lol
Now I see (for basically everything, except the DJC part, although I know what that is). I only started watching your video (you're good, by the way. lol), but I know Taj is pretty famous for his Mewtwo.

I've been working on this other project and haven't used Mewtwo in a while. I'll have to do that when I get the chance.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
thanks lol, when I went to tournaments all the time, I was okay. my own worst enemy though; and now I'm just rusty lol

i would highly recommend playing some melee mewtwo. forget porting over the terrible moves and priority... Nguz is on the right track as far as buffing those go, once it's ironed out his Mewtwo will be a beast.

but the smooth ground movement (wavedash included), air control, and almost jigglypuff level gimping abilites have to come included.

I do understanding he is only one guy... I actually wish I knew even the slightest bit about programming, I would help if I could

at the very least I can playtest and know when the character feels "right"... and write lists lol

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
thanks lol, when I went to tournaments all the time, I was okay. my own worst enemy though; and now I'm just rusty lol

i would highly recommend playing some melee mewtwo. forget porting over the terrible moves and priority... Nguz is on the right track as far as those go, once it's ironed out his Mewtwo will be a beast.

but the smooth ground movement (wavedash included), air control, and almost jigglypuff level gimping abilites have to come included.

I do understanding he is only one guy... I actually wish I knew even the slightest bit about programming, I would help if I could

at the very least I can playtest and know when the character feels "right"
At least you were good. lol

Unfortunately I'm nowhere near a Melee disc, or I would...

Yeah, he was super aerial before. I think it's something that's really missing here (aside from Jiggs, but Mewtwo's more aggressive than that).

Me too. It's a freaking ton of stuff.

AFROofJUSTICE

Smash Cadet
I think what he's saying is that he made them much deeper in playstyle than they were before. I think Roy will be fine. The people that have worked on him seem really dedicated to making him unique and awesome.

Anyway, at least Mewtwo won't be a clone. How funny would it be if they made him into a Lucario clone, though?
Oh, well it is true about Ike and Wario having deeper playstyles. But don't get me wrong. I doubt PMBR will dissapoint us with Roy. I do wish that they made Falco and Toon Link (the clone-ish characters) a bit more different though. Besides that, I think the roster is pretty good in terms of playstyle and uniqueness.

Mewtwo? A Lucario clone..... Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha! ..... NOOOOOO!!!!!! That would be terrible.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Yeah. I'm no stranger to writing huge lists to help this along, but I wish I knew how to code stuff, too...
It's actually not that hard. I actually started this project so I could teach myself how to use PSA and Brawl Box. It's a lot of sitting around and thinking about potential solutions. Just PM me if you want to learn how, I can get you started in the right place.

Hey guys, sorry for not posting for a little while. I'm actually kind of embarrassed. I lost the ROB .rel I found earlier, so now I need to look for it again. I'll find it, I promise.
Let's get to stuff I need to fix:

1. Mewtwo falls way too fast now: That's a product of me incorrectly messing around with Mewtwo's stats back before I knew what I was doing. I increased Mewtwo's gravity so I could get his jump heights right. I also increased his terminal velocity without knowing what it did, so now I need to change it back. That's an easy fix though, so no worries.

2. Mewtwo's down-b makes him fall through the stage: I know what the problem is now, so I'll fix it. That was a result of me trying to keep Mewtwo from losing all the ground he gained from the Green Hand after the animation was finished. It seems that I'm just going to have to work with that unless I find a way to add character momentum correctly. If so, I don't think that will be much of a problem. The move will end up like a hybrid of Wolf's shine in PM and Falco's shine in Brawl. Even though that sounds janky, just wait, I bet you'll like it.

3. Psychic is not working... Still not working. I'm about to test something that I actually think will function. I've looked at this solution from all angles, and I think it will work this time. We'll see though...

4. Bair sucks: Yeah, I was actually thinking the same thing. I'm going to go in and change up the animation, so those issues should be fixed soon.

5. Fsmash is a projectile: WAT?!?! I have no idea why this is happening. Maybe I'll start this move from scratch. I have a great idea that is coming along nicely, so get excited.

6. Movement is janky: That's been a problem since day 1. I'm working off of someone else's PSA, and the wavedash you guys see is theirs. I'm going to try and go into the airdodge and start changing stuff up soon. Dash dancing is in, but now his run is broken. Que drago. Hopefully I can find something.

I'm going to work on these 2 at a time down the list. Please let me know which things are the most important so I can put them at the top of the pile.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Hey guys, sorry for not posting for a little while. I'm actually kind of embarrassed. I lost the ROB .rel I found earlier, so now I need to look for it again. I'll find it, I promise.
Let's get to stuff I need to fix:

1. Mewtwo falls way too fast now: That's a product of me incorrectly messing around with Mewtwo's stats back before I knew what I was doing. I increased Mewtwo's gravity so I could get his jump heights right. I also increased his terminal velocity without knowing what it did, so now I need to change it back. That's an easy fix though, so no worries.

2. Mewtwo's down-b makes him fall through the stage: I know what the problem is now, so I'll fix it. That was a result of me trying to keep Mewtwo from losing all the ground he gained from the Green Hand after the animation was finished. It seems that I'm just going to have to work with that unless I find a way to add character momentum correctly. If so, I don't think that will be much of a problem. The move will end up like a hybrid of Wolf's shine in PM and Falco's shine in Brawl. Even though that sounds janky, just wait, I bet you'll like it.

3. Psychic is not working... Still not working. I'm about to test something that I actually think will function. I've looked at this solution from all angles, and I think it will work this time. We'll see though...

4. Bair sucks: Yeah, I was actually thinking the same thing. I'm going to go in and change up the animation, so those issues should be fixed soon.

5. Fsmash is a projectile: WAT?!?! I have no idea why this is happening. Maybe I'll start this move from scratch. I have a great idea that is coming along nicely, so get excited.

6. Movement is janky: That's been a problem since day 1. I'm working off of someone else's PSA, and the wavedash you guys see is theirs. I'm going to try and go into the airdodge and start changing stuff up soon. Dash dancing is in, but now his run is broken. Que drago. Hopefully I can find something.

I'm going to work on these 2 at a time down the list. Please let me know which things are the most important so I can put them at the top of the pile.
lol That's alright. Things happen.

My take is 6-1-2-4-3-5.

I just realized from you talking about F-Smash that I've been remembering it all of today as the Melee one. Now I see why my idea from earlier sounded confusing; having a psychic-mixed-Mega Punch as a projectile doesn't make any sense... It's not really hugely important right now, though, since it only affects the Lucas and Ness MUs. Wonder how that happened.

GigasOverlord

Smash Apprentice
Here are my thoughts on what should transpire now that we have some set goals.
1. Mewtwo falls way too fast now:
I can't even really remember how fast he falls. The last time I played was before the DDoS, and even then it wasn't Mewtwo. I played fine with him before, though. I guess I'll have to trust your guys' word on this one.

2. Mewtwo's down-b makes him fall through the stage:
I still think that it just needs to be faster with quicker IASA frames, especially if the gaining of horizontal ground is what's causing it to **** up. The offensive properties are excellent as they are right now, though. Having it not fall you through the stage is a thing that needs to be fixed, though, as I couldn't test it fully because of it.

3. Psychic is not working:
Well, this is to be expected. It's still a WIP, after all. It'll be done when it's done.

4. Bair sucks:
Yeah, I don't use B-Air. I had an idea for a turn Psycho Cut for his B-Air that I posted a while back, though. Just something to consider if you're gonna be changing it. Here's the animation idea.

B-Air Aerial Psycho Cut: Mewtwo turns midair and waves his arm behind him, creating a psychic blade behind him. It has less reach than his current B-Air, but deals more damage and has identical knockback.

This would be completely identical to his regular Psycho Cut, right down to the knockback and damage, but it would have more utility than his current B-Air because it can be SHFFL'd.

5. Fsmash is a projectile:
I'm not too sure how to react to this one. I really don't know, and I share the sentiment of all those here. That being said, it really needs to be fixed if that's the problem. It was already hugely punishable on block before it could be reflected and this just makes it worse. If you need to remake the move, I'll post a suggestion after this.

F-Smash Dark Burst: Mewtwo brings his hands together at his side as if charging a Shadow Ball. Instead of a Shadow Ball, he lunges his hand toward his opponent and creates a shadowy burst.

This is pretty close to his original F-Smash with a different animation. The properties from either Mega Punch or his original F-Smash can be carried over with a new animation and it'd fix all the F-Smash problems.

6. Movement is janky:

The dash lock problem needs to be fixed, period. Running is just too nice with Mewtwo's buffed speed. I don't really wavedash as Mewtwo, because I prefer to play a strong keep-away using Psycho Cut instead of rushing in.

Personally, I'd go 6-2-5-1-4-3. Having run back would be the most amazing, but if it takes significantly more work, focus on other things. Psychic isn't a huge concern of mine, because he works fine as it is right now. He'll be better once it's finished though. Being able to use Down-B and F-Smash properly is a concern of mine because those are moves that can pack utility. Animations for F-Smash and B-Air can come later unless they're just quick graphical fixes.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
well I understand that the current download is simply a demo, so i will refrain from any lists until your next release

I would go 6-1-2-4-5-3 with that list. after the big fixes the smaller tweaking can take place

EDIT: also he air dodges when you cancel the Shadowball charge in the air, it should be like DK's Giant Punch charge or Shiek's needles.

EDIT #2: so i was messing around in training mode on 1/4 speed and there is a glitch on the dtilt, after the attack animation finishes. something along the lines on the Bowser giant hand glitch. might be part of the issues that I named in my list? check it out guys

Paradoxium

Smash Master
It's actually not that hard. I actually started this project so I could teach myself how to use PSA and Brawl Box. It's a lot of sitting around and thinking about potential solutions. Just PM me if you want to learn how, I can get you started in the right place.
I would like to know where to start, I've always wanted to do a psa

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Hey, Nguz. In the case that Mewtwo is a thing in 3.0, or things wrap up pretty soon after that, what do you plan on doing afterwards, if anything? Personally, I think you've made yourself enough of a presence here that it'd be a shame to stop after that. If you want to do the same sort of thing, there are a couple more characters and PSAs I could point you to.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
okay, so I did some playtesting against Life and Armageddon today.

the Teleport is totally useless. I was getting hit out of the move, after he was already invisible and moving. I found it hard to believe that it is invulnerable at all after getting gobbed out of it 3 times in a row. Life tested it as well and simply said it should be totally invul. I still think invul from frame 4 up until he reappears would work best, with the Teleporting movement itself activating on frame 8... also there is too much landing recovery on the Teleport itself. maybe intentional?

also Falco does not care about the new downB in the slightest, and can in fact crouch cancel it and shine mewtwo right back :urg:

makes me very interested to see what you are going to do with the new downB once you debug it.

that's pretty much all I have though, hard to play against competent players with a character who can't do the movement that I have taken for granted. eagerly but patiently awaiting the next update, no rush

Nguz95

Smash Lord
This is taking longer than I thought. I'm making progress though. I'll check out the Teleport. That shouldn't be happening, especially since. I haven't messed with that move for a while.

@Dmick I'm not really sure what I want to do next. Maybe I'll apply to be a backroom member. I probably won't make it, but it's wort a shot.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
So since clone engine has been made and obviously m2 will be the 2nd character of the clone will this men your time on the project would be a waste or are they using your as base?
This project was never intended to actually make it onto the Project M roster. It's not likely that the PMBR would use my project for anything other than reference. I started this project to experiment with PSA and Brawl Box, so in my opinion it will never be a waste.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
@Dmick I'm not really sure what I want to do next. Maybe I'll apply to be a backroom member. I probably won't make it, but it's wort a shot.
Yeah, you should!

Did you end up contacting anyone in the PMBR about them looking at your work? I'd be curious to hear what they'd say, even if it's just like "Uh, we've already got a plan", etc. At least then we would know the state of things for this project.

Top Bottom