• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M 3.6 Online via Dolphin Netplay Setup + Optimization Guide

Mahaha

Smash Rookie
Trying to set this up on Mac. I've got the builder with my ISO in it, then I'm running the Build_ISO in Terminal using Python, but as you can see I immediately get an error. Help!

T0RN

I'm Torn
I am on MAC, and I ran the version of 3.5 builder. I have the iso but when I go to dolphin only my browl iso (8.9 GB) is there. When i browse it wont let me open the Iso...

Y-L

Smash Champion
I am on MAC, and I ran the version of 3.5 builder. I have the iso but when I go to dolphin only my browl iso (8.9 GB) is there. When i browse it wont let me open the Iso...
Did you put the new iso in your directory where your brawl iso is?

T0RN

I'm Torn
Did you put the new iso in your directory where your brawl iso is?
Yes I did. And my mistake, when I try to build the PM ISO now it shows up as only 4 bytes. When I use textmate it will always say that I have no make command in my path or something, but the path was entirely deleted and it cannot be regained.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
@ Y-L Y-L

I figured out why it hasn't been working. I believe it is because the high performance setting (which appears to actually let the cpu go above 1400 mhz) also turns the brightness all the way up. So I would change it to high performance, close control panel, change the brightness and it sees that as I don't want in on high performance, thus not letting it ramp up the cpu. Its weird, but its the only correlation between times it works and times it doesn't.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Yes I did. And my mistake, when I try to build the PM ISO now it shows up as only 4 bytes. When I use textmate it will always say that I have no make command in my path or something, but the path was entirely deleted and it cannot be regained.
Do you have enough hard drive space? Try running as administrator.

Can anyone just share a completed ISO with me....
No, that's illegal.

T0RN

I'm Torn
Do you have enough hard drive space? Try running as administrat
Yes I have plenty of hard drive space, but I just cannot get it to build/run on any programs.
No, that's illegal.
I know I meant it in a sorta joking way. I'm just so tired of trying to get it to work.
By the way thanks for your time trying to help me.

Y-L

Smash Champion
@ Y-L Y-L

I figured out why it hasn't been working. I believe it is because the high performance setting (which appears to actually let the cpu go above 1400 mhz) also turns the brightness all the way up. So I would change it to high performance, close control panel, change the brightness and it sees that as I don't want in on high performance, thus not letting it ramp up the cpu. Its weird, but its the only correlation between times it works and times it doesn't.
If you go to advanced settings in power options for high performance I think you can change it so it doesn't default to full brightness.

Demoloque

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2509-3302-9974
Goddamn this guide is awesome.
I can't believe I'm playing this on my crappy computer.
Soon my GC adapter will arrive and my life will be smash again. :dkmelee:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Wait, so having a newer build keeps you from being able to play against people with older builds? ._.
Yes, the builds aren't compatible. I'd recommend everyone the new build if it was that way. That is why we're waiting for UDP Netplay to be merged to master so we can all switch.

NeroChaos

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChilledQuartet
Yes, the builds aren't compatible. I'd recommend everyone the new build if it was that way. That is why we're waiting for UDP Netplay to be merged to master so we can all switch.
Alright then. I'll keep that in mind. I just heard that the newer builds run a bit faster, and I wasn't sure if the ones listed were about the same.
Thanks.

Railz

Yoshi Master
i followed the steps above to get the pm ISO yet it doesnt appear in my folder once i run the builder, i have the brawl ISO and it runs fine, but when i run the builder it gives me the winmd5free folder and thats all i get, no pm iso. is there something im missing? do i need a different brawl iso?

Y-L

Smash Champion
i followed the steps above to get the pm ISO yet it doesnt appear in my folder once i run the builder, i have the brawl ISO and it runs fine, but when i run the builder it gives me the winmd5free folder and thats all i get, no pm iso. is there something im missing? do i need a different brawl iso?
Do you have enough hard drive space? The md5 folder should be in there before running the builder. Does it give any errors while it's running? Watch the window.

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
Hi. I'm a little confused. I thought that netplay via wii console was not possible anymore, so what's the big pink text at the top of the OP for? Does the guide somehow cover internet play via the wii as well?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hi. I'm a little confused. I thought that netplay via wii console was not possible anymore, so what's the big pink text at the top of the OP for? Does the guide somehow cover internet play via the wii as well?
It's for people who want to usb load the game with an iso, it doesn't work for Netplay or WiFi.

Shaunlyons

Smash Rookie
i need help i try to get the project m iso with the builder but when it's finished it says error write pls help me
i got a good graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti
and yes i have about 10 gb free storage

Shaunlyons

Smash Rookie
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz
Memory: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Y-L

Smash Champion
i need help i try to get the project m iso with the builder but when it's finished it says error write pls help me
i got a good graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti
and yes i have about 10 gb free storage
Your specs are fine but just a note: emulation is nothing like pc gaming, pc gaming relies heavily on gpu while emulation is heavy on cpu and does not require much gpu resources besides upscaling resolution and adding enhancements.

Try running the builder as administrator and see what happens.

Shaunlyons

Smash Rookie
it says with adimstrator: Checking for ProjectM resources...

Cannot find the "projectm\pf\" folder containing ProjectM files, exiting...

Please make sure you have "projectm\pf\" in the same directory
as this builder pack.

Press any key to continue . . .

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
it says with adimstrator: Checking for ProjectM resources...

Cannot find the "projectm\pf\" folder containing ProjectM files, exiting...

Please make sure you have "projectm\pf\" in the same directory
as this builder pack.

Press any key to continue . . .
This is usually your brawl iso.. try a fresh dump.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Im pal User and i dont hack, an other way
Well you need a way to get your ntsc iso on your pc. I strongly recommend you homebrew your Wii, it's very safe and easy. The whole process takes about 5 minutes. Ripping your own iso from your Wii is the only legal way to get it.

Tristan Faker

Smash Rookie
So, PM Netplay doesn't work for me.
Everytime I try to join a session via Tools->Connect to Netplay either one of these 2 things happen:
1. Message: Disconnected
2. Dolphin stops working
Whenever I host, the other person disconnects.
I'm using:
- Dolphin 4.0-652 (tried 4.0-648 aswell)
- I've at least double-checked every setting to match the guide in this thread
- Project M 3.5 Netplay Build (both the Brawl and PM iso should be fine, correct file sizes and the md5 checksum of the PM iso when running winmd5 is 4b4e034a9b984aed663f00cc155c18cd, like it should be)

I can play PM offline just fine with no problems at all, my specs should not be the problem:
-Intel Core i5 4690K @3.50GHz
-AMD Radeon R7 260X
-8gb RAM DDR3 @1600MHz

I also tried running Dolphin as Administrator and turning off Firewall. I'm out of ideas.

Y-L

Smash Champion
So, PM Netplay doesn't work for me.
Everytime I try to join a session via Tools->Connect to Netplay either one of these 2 things happen:
1. Message: Disconnected
2. Dolphin stops working
Whenever I host, the other person disconnects.
I'm using:
- Dolphin 4.0-652 (tried 4.0-648 aswell)
- I've at least double-checked every setting to match the guide in this thread
- Project M 3.5 Netplay Build (both the Brawl and PM iso should be fine, correct file sizes and the md5 checksum of the PM iso when running winmd5 is 4b4e034a9b984aed663f00cc155c18cd, like it should be)

I can play PM offline just fine with no problems at all, my specs should not be the problem:
-Intel Core i5 4690K @3.50GHz
-AMD Radeon R7 260X
-8gb RAM DDR3 @1600MHz

I also tried running Dolphin as Administrator and turning off Firewall. I'm out of ideas.
Your specs and settings are fine.. some routers have issues with Netplay. I'd recommend you make certain it's not a firewall issue and if you've tried absolutely everything on this, trying using the port forward method instead and you'll have no problems.

Tristan Faker

Smash Rookie
Your specs and settings are fine.. some routers have issues with Netplay. I'd recommend you make certain it's not a firewall issue and if you've tried absolutely everything on this, trying using the port forward method instead and you'll have no problems.
How exactly do I make sure it's not a firewall issue?
I guess I'll try the port forwarding method.

Tristan Faker

Smash Rookie
Go in your firewall and make an exception. The port forwarding method should work regardless..
I tried it having no firewall activated at all and did the port forwarding method. i'm not 100% sure if i did it right, but i read two individual explanations, one of them exclusively for the router i'm using. i followed the instructions with no problems and also didn't forget to change the settings in dolphin to 'Force Netplay Listen Port: 3074' (the port i forwarded)
one thing i forgot to mention - i don't know if it helps, but dolphin keeps crashing with project m after maybe half an hour, sometimes more than that? it's always after i finished a match.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I tried it having no firewall activated at all and did the port forwarding method. i'm not 100% sure if i did it right, but i read two individual explanations, one of them exclusively for the router i'm using. i followed the instructions with no problems and also didn't forget to change the settings in dolphin to 'Force Netplay Listen Port: 3074' (the port i forwarded)
one thing i forgot to mention - i don't know if it helps, but dolphin keeps crashing with project m after maybe half an hour, sometimes more than that? it's always after i finished a match.
I think portforward.com gives a good explanation.

I think the mayflash drivers cause dolphin to crash when ending emulation.

NotoriousS98

Smash Rookie
Hey all,

I am on a Mac and get this to work. I open up my Build_ISO v3.5.py file in terminal and I get this error. Any ideas?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hey all,

I am on a Mac and get this to work. I open up my Build_ISO v3.5.py file in terminal and I get this error. Any ideas?

Uhmm I'm really unfamiliar with macs but it looks like it can't read the file properly.. you could try messaging Kascade on smashladder.com, he made it.

Top Bottom