• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M 3.6 Online via Dolphin Netplay Setup + Optimization Guide

Kierann

Smash Rookie
Hi, I've been putting a lot of work into trying to get this working, but it just seems to not work..
I've done everything I need to make the builder folder complete and smooth to build:
http://gyazo.com/9351e46a71ecc7d599f4d41f583f8e06
But every time I run the ISO Builder 3.5 it make a long list of patches that cannot be found and "system cannot find path specified" at the end:
http://gyazo.com/5cca3788f9c0964c3df5d1aa283c2b56
Final message at end image:
http://gyazo.com/c91e2ac74ab618cf1e349b0d8318ab79
I've compared builder files to friends, replicated them, followed guides step by step carefully doing exactly as they do and to no avail. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hi, I've been putting a lot of work into trying to get this working, but it just seems to not work..
I've done everything I need to make the builder folder complete and smooth to build:
http://gyazo.com/9351e46a71ecc7d599f4d41f583f8e06
But every time I run the ISO Builder 3.5 it make a long list of patches that cannot be found and "system cannot find path specified" at the end:
http://gyazo.com/5cca3788f9c0964c3df5d1aa283c2b56
Final message at end image:
http://gyazo.com/c91e2ac74ab618cf1e349b0d8318ab79
I've compared builder files to friends, replicated them, followed guides step by step carefully doing exactly as they do and to no avail. Any help would be appreciated!
Try running as administrator, and if that doesn't work it may be your brawl iso.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Would you be able to run PM on a Microsoft Surface Pro 3? (i5, 4gb ram, 128gb version)

Thanks!
You have to be careful with ultra low voltage processors (the surface pro uses an i5 haswell u) but I've heard good things about the surface pro 3. I don't think you'll have any issues.

River Shoetailor

Smash Cadet
You have to be careful with ultra low voltage processors (the surface pro uses an i5 haswell u) but I've heard good things about the surface pro 3. I don't think you'll have any issues.
Thanks a lot. When you say careful you mean along the lines of pushing the tablet until it burns up inside or...?

Darkoness21

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0576-4758-7122
Hi Y-L, I followed your guide and I'm experiencing FPS drops on netplay. I recently build this computer and netplay was running fine at 100% FPS. Now the FPS drops every 30 secs from 100 to about 64% even when I play single-player. Is there a way to fix these FPS issues?

Here are my specs:
Processor: AMD Athlon (tm) X4 760K Quad Core 3.80 GHz
RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640
Windows 64

Last edited:

Andrew Harper

Smash Rookie
I have tried the direct ip and netplay guides and still does not want to connect to anyone. I have opened my ports, everything still wont connect, just say disconnected. Please help.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Try forwarding a port then hosting in the format your ip:your forwarded port (they input this instead of the code and you switch to localhost in the Netplay window.

I. e.

74.124.2.42:2626

Some routers are just incompatible with dolphins method of opening a port through udp port breaking.

Last edited:

Vicdurr

Smash Rookie
Try forwarding a port then hosting in the format your ip:your forwarded port (they input this instead of the code and you switch to localhost in the Netplay window.

I. e.

74.124.2.42:2626

Some routers are just incompatible with dolphins method of opening a port through udp port breaking.
So you're telling me the only way I'd be able to play online is to port forward?

Last edited:

Andrew Harper

Smash Rookie
same problem, port fowarded, and used ethernet cable. was able to connect to someone just for in chat. i dont understand.

Colin Ulin

Smash Rookie
Every time I run the Build_ISO file, I get an ISO that doesn't pass the MD5 test. It also seems to be a different size every time I run the bat file. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this?

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
same problem, port fowarded, and used ethernet cable. was able to connect to someone just for in chat. i dont understand.
If you port forwarded, YOU should be the one hosting by giving them your ip:port and setting it to localhost. Some people that can't connect to people find they can connect to a select few people, I have no idea why. If you port forwarded correctly then that should for sure work.

Every time I run the Build_ISO file, I get an ISO that doesn't pass the MD5 test. It also seems to be a different size every time I run the bat file. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this?
You should see if you have about 20 gb of hard drive space, perhaps you're just getting a corrupt iso because you run out of disk space then it just finishes the incomplete iso. Normally I would say it's the Brawl iso but the fact that you're getting different sized isos leads me to believe the iso builder is not finishing completely.

Colin Ulin

Smash Rookie
I just tried running it again with plenty of free space and the new file still didn't varify. However, it works and I've had no issues using it with Netplay. Who knows.

Szion

Smash Journeyman
"Project M community" was not included with my netplay build download...what?

Y-L

Smash Champion
I just tried running it again with plenty of free space and the new file still didn't varify. However, it works and I've had no issues using it with Netplay. Who knows.
Well it could be that you had a different revision of your ntsc brawl iso and I believe they are netplay safe which could warrant the different md5. If it works it works!

"Project M community" was not included with my netplay build download...what?
The iso does not come with the download. By running the builder, you are creating the iso.

Szion

Smash Journeyman
Well it could be that you had a different revision of your ntsc brawl iso and I believe they are netplay safe which could warrant the different md5. If it works it works!

The iso does not come with the download. By running the builder, you are creating the iso.

Well, the Goood things in a gamers life are always complicated. Any help =_=

wait wait, missed a step. moving my brawl iso into the netplay build folder

http://puu.sh/dKfOB/13359aa88a.png this is my brawl iso btw e.e

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion

Well, the Goood things in a gamers life are always complicated. Any help =_=

wait wait, missed a step. moving my brawl iso into the netplay build folder

http://puu.sh/dKfOB/13359aa88a.png this is my brawl iso btw e.e
That's definitely not going to work. You need a brawl iso merged as one.. no idea what all that mess is. I recommend dumping your iso from your wii using cleanrip.

Szion

Smash Journeyman
That's definitely not going to work. You need a brawl iso merged as one.. no idea what all that mess is. I recommend dumping your iso from your wii using cleanrip.
that's exactly what i did. Cleanripped it and it still came in two parts e.e

EDIT while i was out returning a game, i..FOUND a working ISO. I'll see if i can use that.

eDIT: all is going accoding to plan it seems

Last edited:

MagmaCore

Smash Rookie
The PM ISO in Dolphin is named "Smash Bros. Brawl" and doesnt let me host a netplay game so I have no way of playing with others. Any idea why?

Y-L

Smash Champion
The PM ISO in Dolphin is named "Smash Bros. Brawl" and doesnt let me host a netplay game so I have no way of playing with others. Any idea why?
Try right clicking your iso and going to the save file location and deleting the save.

MagmaCore

Smash Rookie
Why doesn't it let you host what happens when you try? Are you using Dolphin 4.0-652?
It's just a completely different drop down menu when I right-click. So I cant try its just not there, and I'm using dolphin 4.0

EDIT: yea i think that might be the problem my bad ill download 4.0-652 and check back

Last edited:

Terroism

Smash Rookie
If you're getting an error when you run the .bat you must download another Brawl ISO as the one you have is bad. This is what I did and it worked.

Y-L

Smash Champion
You shouldn't be downloading isos at all.. don't talk about that here it is illegal.

Thamauturge

Smash Apprentice
So is there really no way to play PM online using newer revisions of Dolphin? This one (4.0-4594) adds native support for the GameCube adapter and that's really handy since my Mayflash broke a few months ago. I'd love to use that instead of these old outdated Dolphin builds which also don't even perform as well as these newer ones...

Y-L

Smash Champion
So is there really no way to play PM online using newer revisions of Dolphin? This one (4.0-4594) adds native support for the GameCube adapter and that's really handy since my Mayflash broke a few months ago. I'd love to use that instead of these old outdated Dolphin builds which also don't even perform as well as these newer ones...
You can use them, but they do not support udp Netplay meaning you need to port forward to play. I use the newest version with my friends.

Y-L

Smash Champion
How does that work? Can you play against someone using an older revision if you are using a newer one?
No, you must always be using the same build of Dolphin as your opponent. You'd both need to decide on a revision to use and use it.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Hey, its me again. I have an i7 4710HQ processor at 2.5 ghz in my laptop. I believe it has the choice of intel hd 4600 or an nvidia geforce 840m. I feel like this should be enough to handle project m 3.5 (and if nothing else some gamecube games such as melee), but neither seems to work at any respectable framerate. I am not even trying to play netplay yet (could that be the issue? would going a normal dolphin build make it decent when just on my laptop?). I expected to be able to play some games on my laptop and it would be dissapointing if I can't. Thanks for all of your help by the way.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hey, its me again. I have an i7 4710HQ processor at 2.5 ghz in my laptop. I believe it has the choice of intel hd 4600 or an nvidia geforce 840m. I feel like this should be enough to handle project m 3.5 (and if nothing else some gamecube games such as melee), but neither seems to work at any respectable framerate. I am not even trying to play netplay yet (could that be the issue? would going a normal dolphin build make it decent when just on my laptop?). I expected to be able to play some games on my laptop and it would be dissapointing if I can't. Thanks for all of your help by the way.
Try in graphics settings disabling the dedicated card and using the integrated graphics instead. Most multimedia laptops share CPU/GPU heatsink which could cause throttling. The integrated graphics can do 2-2.5x IR. Try the newest dev build of Dolphin if you're not going to be using netplay, it's much faster. But you should have no problem in any case.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
That's super weird. I tried switching between the 2, even getting noticable (~30 fps vs ~15) improvement when on integrated. I just tried it again and am getting flawless 55-60 fps. Thanks (I guess?).

*Edit* Actually, I think I figured out the difference, as a last ditch effort after reading the second post, I decided to enable the dedicated graphics and the vertex streaming hack, but to no avail. After I read your post, I just switched to integrated graphics, so I bet it was that that is making it playable.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
That's super weird. I tried switching between the 2, even getting noticable (~30 fps vs ~15) improvement when on integrated. I just tried it again and am getting flawless 55-60 fps. Thanks (I guess?).

*Edit* Actually, I think I figured out the difference, as a last ditch effort after reading the second post, I decided to enable the dedicated graphics and the vertex streaming hack, but to no avail. After I read your post, I just switched to integrated graphics, so I bet it was that that is making it playable.
You should monitor your cpu temps while playing with a program like coretemp.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
After it working flawlessly last night, I can't get it or any other game to work at a decent frame rate, with the vertex hack on or off. Its only using 10 percent of the cpu, it isn't running hot, and there is plenty of ram. I just don't understand why it gets so laggy. As soon as the panning with all the character thing starts, it drops to 30 fps. When on the main menu and stage select, it stays solid at 60, but during the character select and actual play its stays around 20-30. Its really frustrating because I had it working perfectly fine last night! Tried re downloading dolphin and it still doesn't work.

Y-L

Smash Champion
After it working flawlessly last night, I can't get it or any other game to work at a decent frame rate, with the vertex hack on or off. Its only using 10 percent of the cpu, it isn't running hot, and there is plenty of ram. I just don't understand why it gets so laggy. As soon as the panning with all the character thing starts, it drops to 30 fps. When on the main menu and stage select, it stays solid at 60, but during the character select and actual play its stays around 20-30. Its really frustrating because I had it working perfectly fine last night! Tried re downloading dolphin and it still doesn't work.
Use CPU-Z and monitor your CPU clock speed and post results.. What kind of temp are you getting?

OH go to power settings and set to high performance first.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
Its working again! There were a couple of weird things that changed, like brawl showing up 2 more times in the game list with a logo and the actual game not showing up in the list, but all the games work now. While working, the cpu was actually using more than 10 percent (25 percent), don't know what changed. It clocked at 3300 MHz and was at 50 degrees celcius.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Its working again! There were a couple of weird things that changed, like brawl showing up 2 more times in the game list with a logo and the actual game not showing up in the list, but all the games work now. While working, the cpu was actually using more than 10 percent (25 percent), don't know what changed. It clocked at 3300 MHz and was at 50 degrees celcius.
If it does get slow, monitor CPU clocks and temps, those sound good.

If you changed the power option that should have helped.

Strange that it's only using 25 percent, a quad core should be using 50 percent since dolphin uses two cores.

Last edited:
Top Bottom