• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M 3.6 Online via Dolphin Netplay Setup + Optimization Guide

Joshtrip1

J Dogg
NNID
danielsjw7
3DS FC
2466-4097-7365
THE NETPLAY BUILD WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY ON CONSOLE. IF YOU PLAN TO PLAY WITH A SAVE FILE OR ON CONSOLE, USE
is it not possible to have both versions? once i saved the game on the offline one it appeared as brawl on dolphin and made the NetPlay version appear as brawl also. so the save file was working for all 3 instead of just the one. Trying to fix it, i lost my copy of brawl and now i have to extract it again. After extracting the offline mode the folder inside says netplay version. i know it isn't the net play version but even i got confused for a moment.

reador23

Smash Rookie
Hello,
Please help, when i build the iso and after all is done for the console, no new iso appears in the folder. Indeed, if i look at the console, i can see that it didnt find the path for a lot of things.
Thanks for your help.
Bye
P.S: Is it possible to do build the iso manually?

Last edited:

Kati

Smash Lord
Is it possible to use the iso builder for usb loading on the wii?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hello,
Please help, when i build the iso and after all is done for the console, no new iso appears in the folder. Indeed, if i look at the console, i can see that it didnt find the path for a lot of things.
Thanks for your help.
Bye
P.S: Is it possible to do build the iso manually?
I'd check your brawl iso. I've heard a fresh dump fixes that assuming you had it in the right place.
No you cant do this manually.

Is it possible to use the iso builder for usb loading on the wii?
Yes, use the offline builder.

reador23

Smash Rookie
Thanks for your answer Y-L, here is my brawl iso : http ://w ww.t411.me/torrents/Super-Smash-Bros-Brawl-Wii-NTSC (french website), it works correctly with dolphin, even with project m.
I put two spaces in my link because i'm not allowed to post link yet.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Thanks for your answer Y-L, here is my brawl iso : http ://w ww.t411.me/torrents/Super-Smash-Bros-Brawl-Wii-NTSC (french website), it works correctly with dolphin, even with project m.
I put two spaces in my link because i'm not allowed to post link yet.
Please do not post links to torrents, I can't help you with that as that is illegal. Dump your brawl iso from your own disc on your Wii using cleanrip.

Adbrite

Smash Rookie
Allright so I have a problem with netplay.
I ahve the 3.5 ISO with the correct MD5 and it has a code RSBEC3. The ISO is in the correct directory. On Dolphin 4.0.2 I get the correct banner, name and filesize for the ISO but when I open Dolphin 4.0-652 the same ISO shows up with a Brawl banner, brawl name and 8.9 GB filesize. When I try to play offline it works. When I try to join someone on netplay, I get the message that the game wasn't found locally. When I host on netplay, I get Project M 3.5 but my opponent gets regular brawl.
Does anyone know a fix for this?

reador23

Smash Rookie
Please do not post links to torrents, I can't help you with that as that is illegal. Dump your brawl iso from your own disc on your Wii using cleanrip.
But my disc of brawl is not the american version (NTSC), that's why i took this one.

Imfastsometimes

Smash Rookie
i wasn't running it through an sd card. i had the same audio lag with melee, though i didn't notice it with skyward sword. i was getting the error message in the builder. it searches the directory for a valid iso file, and doesn't seem to recognize my brawl file. i ended up just finding a iso that someone already built into p:m netplay that works.
Where did you get this iso someone already built? Because I'm also having that same error message

Joshtrip1

J Dogg
NNID
danielsjw7
3DS FC
2466-4097-7365
hey my game keeps crashing every time I unlock luigi on the Offline Version of the game. Something is wrong with these save files. the fact that it is mapped to the netplay version and offline version doesn't help. How do I fix this?

xojake

Smash Rookie
So I have quick question, after I've built the ISO I do not get a project M or a Smash bros brawl like in step 4... Can anyone help?

DevonYM

Smash Rookie
Hey so I'm kinda (very) new to this whole thing and I'm a little confused at to what folder to put my Brawl ISO in? I tried putting the Brawl ISO in the same folder I extracted the ISO builder into. Then I ran the build_ISO thing and it said it was completed, but 'Project M Community' thing never showed up. What I am I doing wrong? When you say the folder, I don't know which one you're talking about. Do I have to make my own? Thanks

Y-L

Smash Champion
can i get some help too?
I'm not too sure about why they are sharing the same save data even though the game id is different.. must have something to do with sharing Brawl's files. Have you tried keeping them in separate locations?

Allright so I have a problem with netplay.
I ahve the 3.5 ISO with the correct MD5 and it has a code RSBEC3. The ISO is in the correct directory. On Dolphin 4.0.2 I get the correct banner, name and filesize for the ISO but when I open Dolphin 4.0-652 the same ISO shows up with a Brawl banner, brawl name and 8.9 GB filesize. When I try to play offline it works. When I try to join someone on netplay, I get the message that the game wasn't found locally. When I host on netplay, I get Project M 3.5 but my opponent gets regular brawl.
Does anyone know a fix for this?
Maybe try isolating your PM iso from your other ones. Likely that somehow the wrong game is being hosted. Are you sure the problem is on your end?

Where did you get this iso someone already built? Because I'm also having that same error message
Dump your brawl iso from your wii using CleanRip.. precompiled isos are illegal to distribute..

hey my game keeps crashing every time I unlock luigi on the Offline Version of the game. Something is wrong with these save files. the fact that it is mapped to the netplay version and offline version doesn't help. How do I fix this?
It must be because of the save files conflicting.. read above.

So I have quick question, after I've built the ISO I do not get a project M or a Smash bros brawl like in step 4... Can anyone help?
You do not get any iso at all or it comes out as brawl? Did the builder have any errors when running? Do you have enough hard disk space?

Hey so I'm kinda (very) new to this whole thing and I'm a little confused at to what folder to put my Brawl ISO in? I tried putting the Brawl ISO in the same folder I extracted the ISO builder into. Then I ran the build_ISO thing and it said it was completed, but 'Project M Community' thing never showed up. What I am I doing wrong? When you say the folder, I don't know which one you're talking about. Do I have to make my own? Thanks
It goes in the same directory as the batch file. Read above.

jokekid

Smash Rookie
my MD5 is completely different...
some errors show up in the cmd window...

no custom banner, using original game's banner
couldn't compute fast_cwd

using windows 8.1 64bit, tried both with the files that come by default in the download and after replacing said files with fresh files from the homebrew full project:M build...

Y-L

Smash Champion
my MD5 is completely different...
some errors show up in the cmd window...

no custom banner, using original game's banner
couldn't compute fast_cwd

using windows 8.1 64bit, tried both with the files that come by default in the download and after replacing said files with fresh files from the homebrew full project:M build...
Those errors are normal, maybe a bad dump of brawl. Test to see if you desync first. Using fresh homebrew files will give you a wrong md5, use the files in the download.

Lemmy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lemmyt
3DS FC
1118-0771-1667
I'm working on a custom build of PM and I'd like to know the gecko codes you use to unlock the first three characters and to turn off items by default. The netplay build as a base seems to be incompatible with some of the mods in the build, but I don't want to have to fight Ness, Marth, and Luigi every time I boot up the game in Dolphin. Any assistance would be appreciated, thanks.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I'm working on a custom build of PM and I'd like to know the gecko codes you use to unlock the first three characters and to turn off items by default. The netplay build as a base seems to be incompatible with some of the mods in the build, but I don't want to have to fight Ness, Marth, and Luigi every time I boot up the game in Dolphin. Any assistance would be appreciated, thanks.
I don't understand why you want to use the netplay build as a base? Why not use vanilla pm as a base?

Lemmy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lemmyt
3DS FC
1118-0771-1667
I don't understand why you want to use the netplay build as a base? Why not use vanilla pm as a base?
I don't want to use the netplay build as a base, I just want the codes. I primarily use dolphin netplay to play PM with friends and it's a pain to go through setup every time. That's why I'd like the specific character and item codes used in the build so that we don't have to go through it every time.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I don't want to use the netplay build as a base, I just want the codes. I primarily use dolphin netplay to play PM with friends and it's a pain to go through setup every time. That's why I'd like the specific character and item codes used in the build so that we don't have to go through it every time.
All you need to do is use the RSBE01.gct from the netplay build. It is vanilla pm + the two codes. Use the vanilla projectm folder and add whatever mods to it you want.

Imfastsometimes

Smash Rookie
Hey so I was trying to change the sound file in my netplay build with the SKTAR 3 hack pack sound file but when I built the iso and opened it on dolphin it crashes. Does this possibly have to do with the fact the hack pack is from 3.02?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hey so I was trying to change the sound file in my netplay build with the SKTAR 3 hack pack sound file but when I built the iso and opened it on dolphin it crashes. Does this possibly have to do with the fact the hack pack is from 3.02?
If it's only music that shouldn't make it crash.. What exactly did you download?

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
Haven't been here since release day. Has there been a update for all star vs to work on netplay?
It's possible to make ASV work. I believe you have to start it as normal, quit the match, go back to the title screen, and start it again, all without doing any other modes. Then it may or may not work.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I figured out how to make all star work, but I think the all star mode is a dolphin bug currently.. Not sure if it's worth reuploading for that small change.

All you need to do is add the line

Code:
copy /b projectm\pf\menu2\sc_sel_event.pac ssbb.d\files\menu2\sc_sel_event_en.pac
under the line:
Code:
copy /b projectm\pf\menu2\mu_menumain.pac ssbb.d\files\menu2\mu_menumain_en.pac
copy /b projectm\pf\menu2\sc_title.pac ssbb.d\files\menu2\sc_title_en.pac

Imfastsometimes

Smash Rookie
If it's only music that shouldn't make it crash.. What exactly did you download?
Well I downloaded the full hack pack that came with all the changes in the SKTAR 3 PM stream setup but I only replaced the sound file in the folder and rebuilt the iso

Y-L

Smash Champion
Well I downloaded the full hack pack that came with all the changes in the SKTAR 3 PM stream setup but I only replaced the sound file in the folder and rebuilt the iso
Replacing the sound folder should not make anything crash.. regardless if the folder was from 3.02. Are you sure that's the only reason why it could crash? Does it crash on a Wii? Did you accidentally put the files in the wrong place? (forgot to put them in the strm folder or something?)

MarcThree

Smash Rookie
Hi, I followed all the steps verbatim and I get the PM community ISO (with the correct MD5). However when I put it in my ROM folder it comes up as a regular brawl copy in the dolphin start screen. It opens and runs as PM however I can't right click the ROM so that I can host a netplay game.

On the cmd screen it said no custom banner, using original game's banner, couldn't compute fast_cwd, but I still end up with the right MD5

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hi, I followed all the steps verbatim and I get the PM community ISO (with the correct MD5). However when I put it in my ROM folder it comes up as a regular brawl copy in the dolphin start screen. It opens and runs as PM however I can't right click the ROM so that I can host a netplay game.

On the cmd screen it said no custom banner, using original game's banner, couldn't compute fast_cwd, but I still end up with the right MD5
Your iso is fine, however I believe this happens when you have a save file of brawl or pm in Dolphin. I don't get why this prevents you from hosting a game though? you should be able to differentiate it from brawl by the file size (project m is smaller) If you want to fix it right click brawl go to open save file location and delete the folder that contains save data

MarcThree

Smash Rookie
Your iso is fine, however I believe this happens when you have a save file of brawl or pm in Dolphin. I don't get why this prevents you from hosting a game though? you should be able to differentiate it from brawl by the file size (project m is smaller) If you want to fix it right click brawl go to open save file location and delete the folder that contains save data
Ah, I just realized I have an older version of the dolphin, so it didn't have certain netplay options, woops.
Great guide, thanks for the help.

DogThumbs

Smash Rookie
I am having a problem with the Netplay build. Whenever I run the .bat for the 3.5 builder it keeps saying that it cannot find projectm/pf/. I have checked the path and it does, in fact, exist in my files. What should I do?

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I am having a problem with the Netplay build. Whenever I run the .bat for the 3.5 builder it keeps saying that it cannot find projectm/pf/. I have checked the path and it does, in fact, exist in my files. What should I do?
I've seen this happen if your brawl iso is corrupt.. Try running as administrator first and make sure your brawl iso is in the right place.

Last edited:

DogThumbs

Smash Rookie
I've seen this happen if your brawl iso is corrupt.. Try running as administrator first and make sure your brawl iso is in the right place.
I cant seem to run the .bat as administrator. I also tried to run the source (.rar) as administrator, but could not see the option for that either.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I cant seem to run the .bat as administrator. I also tried to run the source (.rar) as administrator, but could not see the option for that either.
what RAR? you have to extract is first. Why can't you run as administrator?

DogThumbs

Smash Rookie
what RAR? you have to extract is first. Why can't you run as administrator?
Yah. The problem was that I had not extracted the files. It also didn't help that my Hard Drive was almost full and couldn't handle the new iso. Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom