• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project GENO - MarioDK Demo out

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
... Both of you seem to be having issues.

Fighter Geno has three files.
One is FitToonLinkMotionetc.pac, which is his animation file, essentially. This is required for many of his new, or altered attacks.
One is FitToonLink03.pcs This is his texture file. It also removes both the sword and the shield.
One is FitToonLink.pac This is his moveset file. And have all of the coding for his attacks. It is also very important.

You cannot have Fighter Geno and Cosmic Geno in game at the same time. You cannot have Toon Link and either Geno in game at the same time, either.

God of Humility

Smash Journeyman
The alternate file loader lets you have one standard moveset and one "alternate" moveset you load with a button press while selecting the character. while buggy, it works quite well and saves a lot of time switching movesets.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yo - just popping in from to say 'hey', and "Holy guacamole, you guys!".

I haven't come near this site in years, but once I return, what do I find? People have been hard at work creating an *actual playable* Geno. I've seen movesets, mock-ups, and even skins, but never, even since the days of the pre-release GameFAQs boards, did I ever expect something this AWESOME.

I really have to congratulate everything you guys have pulled off so far. You're making the dream of this disillusioned SMRPG fanboy a reality. *sniffle* It's just so beautiful... :D

Having said that, I read a good chunk of this topic, and still have some curious questions:

1) People keep mentioning adding an original model of Geno once a certain program is released. I follow you so far. When that happens, though, what plans have been made by this point as far as his appearance. Are you going for a traditional appearance, or are you planning on updating it a little bit? I ask, because if you're looking for some concept art, I'd be glad to oblige you with something I made a while back.

http://sparkofshadow.deviantart.com/art/BTW-3D-ish-Geno-69350088

Clearly it's not actually 3D, but when I saw what you guys were up to, I figured I'd share it. If it ends up being of any use, then hooray - if not, I'll leave it to you. After all, I'm a writer, not a graphic designer (... Jim).

2) What plans do you guys have thus far, concerning Geno's voice? What you've done visually is *already* impressive, but I found Young Link's voice to be a little distracting from that. I might be alone in that, so to each their own. Just figured I'd ask. In any case, is it even possible to change the voice of a character?

3) I noticed a screenshot a couple of pages ago that had your Geno standing on what looked *very* convincingly like a Forest Maze stage. Is such a thing in the works?

Anyway, another "Bravo", "Kudos", and "Hoochy Mama" to everyone involved with this. I will continue watching from the sidelines with anticipation. :D
I was wondering when you were going to show up again. :laugh: It's been too long, Shadowbolt. Yep, there's still a decent number of people who want Geno to appear in Smash and, as this thread shows, there are those that have gone the extra mile to make his inclusion in Brawl a reality.

@ Shadic:

Pardon my laziness but what page are the videos on?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Videos are on the first page. Second post. Big heading saying videos. Can't miss 'em.

Well, you supposedly can't miss 'em. Apparently you can. >_>;;

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Where did you place them?

And you need Brawl+ or another codeset with the File Replacement code.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
..Are you positive? And the other characters work? Their data is stored in .pac files as well.

mercy

Smash Apprentice
Heh, it works now. Funny thing is I didn't do anything to it, I just took out the card, hooked it to my PC, took a snapshot, and put it back in my Wii. Now it works! Sigh.

Getsuei-Moon

Smash Cadet
I like both of the Genos (wish there was a way to have both of them on the game ^^)
but one thing think i have to say is Geno fighter needs a new neutral A attack like a mini combo(AAA) that would be like-punch,turn around kick,then a finger shot (Geno holds his wrist similar to how mega man shots)that knocks your opponent back.combo should do between 10-18% of damage.The rest of fighterGeno i love (side taunt is my fav :D).

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
So, IIRC, changes have been made? Any chance of a more recent video?

EDIT: Ah! And Wireless! Long time no see! Yes, I've been rather busy lately, what with senior year in college - as well as attempting to finish writing my fantasy novel.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Changes have not been made. Honestly, we seem to be a bit stalled, mostly because we're waiting for a model importer/a Geno model. (By the way, we could really use one.)

Once we're to the point where we can import models, I'd expect some more progress.

grim mouser

Smash Journeyman
No, it's just waiting for a model importer so a Geno model can be used in-game. That would pretty much complete it.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Hrm. That's a pretty nice beam. May have to talk to JoeG about that.

And yes, we're waiting for model importing. And a model.

It wouldn't complete it actually, but there's no point in making Toon Link animations just to have to re-do them for a new model.

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
Actually Shadic, If you rigged the bones of a Geno model to match TL's and import it, there would be no need to make a new set of animations for the new model. Instead it would have Toon Link's animations without any glitches, just one clean import.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Actually Shadic, If you rigged the bones of a Geno model to match TL's and import it, there would be no need to make a new set of animations for the new model. Instead it would have Toon Link's animations without any glitches, just one clean import.
There's also the matter of scale. And I don't wanna animate for something that there's no model of it. :ohwell:

Although I may work on Geno Beam a bit.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
I agree with Shadic on the point of "Model before animations". However, when it comes to changing the actual moves (and getting around technical limitations for them), making animations that either aren't very nice looking, or aren't animations at all (just leaving him in a T-pose the whole time) to accommodate what may be necessary is (I think) fine. The problem with that is that then you can't release it.

That, and there's the problem certain, if not all animations might glitch up when changing the model in the first place anyway, or not even look proper due to the characters' differences in physicality. The way that a character carries himself throughout a fight is central to his 'feel' and is drastically impacted by his physicality. So, making Toon Link's animations look proper for Toon Link might work for the time being, but a kid and a posessed wooden doll will move differently and look different even with the exact same animations.

There's also the slight problem being that the displacement of bones amongst the body in animations aren't affected by the model itself, and so if the new model has noticeably different proportions, using TL's or anyone else's animations will cause a problem. Just watch a video with mario's neutral B replaced with CFal's PAUNCH. Mario... grows.

Anyway, that's my little rant on Models vs Animations. I was also thinking of a slightly different effect for Geno beam (something closer to R.O.B.'s lazer, except blue for the first 2 charges, then that hueg beam for the 3rd). I can't wait to see what you pull off.
AAAAGH!!! I ranted again! DAMMIT!

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
There's also the slight problem being that the displacement of bones amongst the body in animations aren't affected by the model itself, and so if the new model has noticeably different proportions, using TL's or anyone else's animations will cause a problem. Just watch a video with mario's neutral B replaced with CFal's PAUNCH. Mario... grows.
That's actually relatively easy to fix in Brawlbox, just time consuming.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
You know, we can still come up with ideas for what exactly the animations could/should be, like that idea I had for a jab 'combo' which involved hitting the foe before firing the bullets, or whatever. Especially since a lot of animations affect how you'll be changing him, to know what we want beforehand saves us time once we're ready (plus it keeps us talking in this thread).
Anyway, how are things going on your end of things?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I've not been doing much, honestly. Also, most of my fully-custom animations seem to crash in-game, which is weird, because I'm pretty good about keeping bone rotations in so it shouldn't crash.

Rouenne

Smash Apprentice
Is possible to have a patch with Roy AND Geno hacks? They replace Marth and Toon Link respectively right?

Also what is the difference between fighter and cosmic?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Geno completely replaces Toon Link.

And from the first post:
Projects:
There are two different projects for Geno construction going on. The two have been dubbed Fighter Geno and Cosmic Geno. They've been made by Shadic and IndigoFenix, respectively.They're being undertaken with different viewpoints on the original character. Both projects are geared towards Brawl+, but should work in BBrawl or any other Brawl variation with the appropriate codes.

Fighter Geno is more into physical combat, using a lot of swapped animations to make the character and his moves feel different. His fall-speed and run is quick.

Cosmic Geno is more into using magic, and fire to attack. There's a heavy emphasis on times attacks, making Geno have special touches similar to how he worked in Super Mario RPG. He's slightly slower, and floatier than Fighter Geno.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
You shouldn't need to. All you need is the .pcs and .pac files put in the proper place.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
Actually, since character replacements or other PSA projects are file replacements, you can have any number of these projects simultaneously, so long as they don't replace more than one character at a time (and you can do that if you use the clone engine, but I might be wrong about that one).

Actually, a full Geno will technically be 8 hacks in one project:
1) PSA for geno's moves
2) Animations for geno's moves
3) Effects for Geno's moves
4-8) Model and textures for each colour
*optional*) .pacs changing all menu instances of Toon Link into Geno.

So, in short, No, there isn't one hack that has both Roy and Geno, and there won't be. There might be certain packages with certain groups of hacks (like having both Roy and Geno), but we won't be able to put it all into one file. But, as Shadic stated, there's really no point to it.

LSDX

Wah!
Why is there only one file for Cosmic Geno? Shouldn't there also be about three?

Also, I really wish Cosmic Geno had his sword and shield permanently removed...

:bowser:

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I believe you could use the texture.

And the reason there's only one Cosmic Geno file is because Indigo seemingly stopped working on him right before Brawlbox came out with support for Motion editing, etc.

LSDX

Wah!
Can people start making multiple colors for the Geno texture (fighter [not sure if there's a difference])? We need a red and green, and with the remaining 3, I thought purple, black, and white would do nicely. In this case for textures to not make it look gaudy, only the blue would be colorized, leaving the yellow undercape and everything else untouched.

I believe you could use the texture.

And the reason there's only one Cosmic Geno file is because Indigo seemingly stopped working on him right before Brawlbox came out with support for Motion editing, etc.
I tested out your Geno Shadic: It's a masterpiece.

My only gripe is I don't play Brawl+, so I'll have to get used to his fast falling speed...........done (5+ years of Melee pays off).

My only suggestion: Get that Lucas beam up above and replace it with the Geno Beam currently on your Geno, b/c that beam is garbage...

:bowser:

Top Bottom