• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project GENO - MarioDK Demo out

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
DownB:
Fighter: Geno Spin - In the air, Geno drops rapidly, dragging opponents with him as he goes. On the ground, he spins back and forth quickly, launching his opponents away.

Cosmic: Geno Blast - Geno raises his hands into the air, focusing energy into the sky above him, then sends it streaming down onto any unsuspecting opponents. The attack deals tremendous amounts of damage
(up to over 40% damage at full charge!) and has a wide range, but it has no knockback and a very long start-up and ending lag. It also has a blind spot right next to Geno, leaving him wide open to any opponents who avoid the blast. Like Geno Beam, it can be charged up to three times but weakens if it is not released after the third charge. If Geno uses this in the air, he will hover and fire the energy from his own hands instead. The aerial version is weaker and lasts shorter than the ground version. Also, it cannot be charged, and puts him into free-fall.

UpB:
Fighter: Geno Boost - Geno spins in the air, radiating star power. Opponents are shot straight up with the move, and if cleverly used, can be used to kill foes off the top.

Cosmic: Geno Boost - Geno rises into the air, radiating energy. He will take no knockback if hit during the first part of the move. After using the move, he will glow with energy, and any aerial attacks he uses while falling will be more powerful than usual. Unlike most recovery moves, Geno retains his second jump after using Geno Boost. He can also use the ability again while falling in order to slow his descent or to defend against attacks.
You're playing Fighter Geno. Fighter and Cosmic Geno both have the same special moves and Up/Down smashes.

And no, you just put that pac file in the toonlink folder. No unzipping required.
Unless the OP is outdated, their UpB/DownB are not the same. The Geno i was playing's UpB didnt attack and the DownB was that large AoE spraying attack

As for the FB attack, i know what its suppose to be but its soooo weak and pointless right now. Range is too short for what it does.
EDIT: i'll try to download/test the other Geno out again, i just woke up and i need to goto work in like 5 minutes. Knowing my luck it was this ******** internet connection i have jacked up the download last time, like its done before (it likes to turn off for 1 second or so, messing up downloads)

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Unless the OP is outdated, their UpB/DownB are not the same. The Geno i was playing's UpB didnt attack and the DownB was that large AoE spraying attack
The move descriptions are a bit outdated. Mostly because I plan on changing them from what they currently are.

As for the FB attack, i know what its suppose to be but its soooo weak and pointless right now. Range is too short for what it does.
It kills before 100%. :dizzy:

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
So Shadic, may I post my Mallow progress in this thread? You could house my Mallow as a sub-project in your thread until he is stable enough in matches to have his own thread. Do you accept?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Sure. I'll ask a mod to give me another OP post. I've been wanting one anyways.

Also, I think before anybody gets too far in modeling, we need to establish and agree upon a look for Geno. SMRPG character art is a bit limiting in basing all of our decisions on, as the art style is very stocky. I went through two pretty awesome pieces of fanart to sort of throw together my opinion.. Thoughts?

(Click it)

radicaldreamernlcf

Smash Rookie
Hmm, well I like the original and the design 2 the most.
For a more flexible character, I'd say go with design 2, because some movements in this game would look un-natural with the original design.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
The move descriptions are a bit outdated. Mostly because I plan on changing them from what they currently are.

It kills before 100%. :dizzy:
Oh they are outdated? my bad.
Does that mean both the characters are virtually the same now? cuz as i go down the moveset, i coulda swore i was playing Cosmic Geno when i clicked the fighter link.

And i didnt get that far with the FB, bout all i did was test its range, air use, damage, and stun power. Never thought of a projectile being a killing attack so i didnt bother trying once the cpu got high in damage.

Either way, my comments aside, the project is looking awesome. I just hope the enormous initial jump gets fixed.

(BTW, sry if i sounded like an *** in my last 2 posts. Bad day)

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
It kills at around 100% damage if you press A right as the attack hits the enemy.

If the Geno you were playing has lots of gun-based or exploding attacks and floaty physics, it's Cosmic.
If it uses mainly close-range attacks and is a fast-faller, it's Fighter.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
It kills at around 100% damage if you press A right as the attack hits the enemy.

If the Geno you were playing has lots of gun-based or exploding attacks and floaty physics, it's Cosmic.
If it uses mainly close-range attacks and is a fast-faller, it's Fighter.
Yea its definately Cosmic then because he didnt use his own body for any of the attacks (that i noticed anyway) it was all flashy stars and sparkles. That and he had some decent range on his attacks.

EDIT: Actually, i dont know lol cuz he didnt have the floaty mechanics on him he fell rather quick (like Metal quick almost). Maybe once i can get the file i get when i click the Cosmic Geno link to work (still giving me a pac file not a zip) i'll notice enough differences to tell which is which better.

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
Actually, the FB is useful in many combos. Follow the opponent with Short Hop > Nair > Jump > Bair. While they are lying on the stage, you can Geno Whirl them. It's good for racking up damage, it is actually my favorite move in the moveset of both Genos, but keep in mind the combo I used was with fighter, so results vary.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
Actually, on the subject of model, I have a guy who's made one already. I'm just trying to see if I can get/use it.

Anyway, there's been no response yet, so I might still have to make one from scratch.

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so here is some things I need to ask you guys.
His Neut B has Mallow just plainly spin around, emitting electricity from his body. It is very boring. Right now it's his Nair with Electricity. What can I add to make it more like a Special move?

GenoWhirl9999

Smash Rookie
As far as model choice goes, design one looks outstanding! Geno was meant to be represented that way. I especially love the effects on the hat, they really pop. To me, I see too much Toon Link in design two for me to enjoy the visual change. Thanks for letting me give my two cents. Oh and forgive my ignorance, but what specials are you planning on changing Shadic (unless it is just the Geno Blast visual/sound effect)? To be honest the Fighter/Cosmic hybrid I'm currently running is excellent in all respects (probably high tier). He suits my play style now too. Also, is sound editing a thing in Brawl yet? Because if we could get the old sound effects from SMRPG that'd be sweet. Oh and I'd like to consider myself decent at doing voices (I am working on a soon to be online animation). If we plan on giving Geno a voice (big step I know), I'd like to throw my name into the hat of possible candidates. I can't imagine how awesome it'd be to be the first Geno voice *drools*. Anyways, I'll stop rambling, keep up the awesome work!

-GenoWhirl9999

goaliedude3919

Smash Rookie
I have to agree with a lot of what GenoWhirl9999 said. Both designs look amazing, but Design 1 takes the cake. It is much similar to the original Geno (in fact almost identical) and I think that is a good thing. Design 2 is too lanky and the new hat doesn't really fit Geno IMO. My vote definitely goes to Design 1.

GenoWhirl9999

Smash Rookie
Meh, its a good second option, but given the three, I gotta go design one. The thing about option 3 is that the cell-shady graphical style doesn't fit brawl (let alone Geno) exactly, in my opinion. Toon Link, who was cell-shaded to begin with, was 3d-ed up to be fit into brawl. It is a good Geno model (perhaps for a Wii remake of SMRPG), but brawl has a more detailed/realistic shading pattern that should be emulated. Also, I believe that someone contacted that guy at the beginning of this thread and he never got back with them. I think...

Edit: Oh, I guess Shadic beat me to it. Speaking of which...Shadic, I'm pretty sure your new avatar is going to give me nightmares, haha.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
ah. I see.

But the thing about what you said referring to the textures and the Cell-shading is a bit... off. The way that the textures, light reflection, etc works is entirely dependent on the textures themselves (I know, I have a truly Cell-shaded MK. It's hilarious). And Toon link became 3d before the wii was out (Wind waker, anyone?). So, again, it's just an issue of textures.

Regardless, it looks like unless we somehow get contacted by someone who already made it, somebody's going to have to make this thing from scratch (which sucks, because I have no clue as to what I'm doing whatsoever. Not that it exactly matters, I always do stuff with programs I don't know how to use. If I know what to do, it's no fun).

*edit* Forgot to ask: So, including the third option, what kind of 'hybrid' would be selected? (because I'm a crap artist, so if I start making something without knowing EXACTLY what it should look like before I start, it just looks off)

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
In my picture, I sort of listed an ideal combination of the two. (My opinion)

I think his proportions should be pretty close to that of a like, Mario, in terms of body size vs. limb length. I can't see him as overly lanky, but he certainly doesn't have stub arms.

The #1 has pretty good leg length, but his arms are WAY too short.

And for the hat, you guys seemed to prefer #1's, but I think something more like #2s would be idea of "Upgrading" his design past the SMRPG era.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
In my picture, I sort of listed an ideal combination of the two. (My opinion)

I think his proportions should be pretty close to that of a like, Mario, in terms of body size vs. limb length. I can't see him as overly lanky, but he certainly doesn't have stub arms.

The #1 has pretty good leg length, but his arms are WAY too short.

And for the hat, you guys seemed to prefer #1's, but I think something more like #2s would be idea of "Upgrading" his design past the SMRPG era.
"Upgrading" Geno's appearance for this model doesn't sound like a horrible idea - but it'd have to be handled carefully. The most I did to him in my 3D-ish mock-up was give him a new mid-section (rather than his stomach being fused to his groin >.>), better define his arm and leg joints, and give him those little star things on the ends of his cloak chain.

Here it is again for arbitrary reference: http://sparkofshadow.deviantart.com/art/BTW-3D-ish-Geno-69350088

Definitely not the best interpretation of his appearance, but I've seen much worse. xD

Oh - and a quick note about Geno's physical traits that most people don't notice: If you compare his facing-front sprite with Mario's, you'll see that Geno is actually a tiny bit taller than Mario (even without his hat). Just thought I'd toss that out there.

As for my previous question about his voice, I'm curious - would it be possible to give him another character's voice in the meantime without too much work? Just as a placeholder, I mean?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I don't know if it's even possible at the moment, honestly.

And as for upgrading his appearance, you changed his hat. :p

About the cape/cloak, I think #2's is just about perfect, honestly. The yellow trim really gives it more texture. About the body shape, I don't think we should be too creative with that, but just remember that SMRPG made characters look a lore more... Isometric/stubby? that they actually are.

GenoWhirl9999

Smash Rookie
Okay, I think the cape on number two is pretty good. I didn't realize how much the trim on the cape brought out. So my "hybrid" would definitely include the cape of design 2. Other than that, I really like design 1. No one is giving the design one hat any credit...it looks beautiful. I must agree with whoever said that the arms are too short though. I think that that Geno is actually missing an arm segment. Isn't that what it looks like to you guys? They don't need to be much longer, there just needs to be another piece that is identical to the upper parts of the arm.

God of Humility

Smash Journeyman
Quick question: How did you make it so Toon Link's shield no longer blocks projectiles? I removed the shield from the model, but it still blocks it.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I have... No idea. I think setting the shield to be on his back through one of the item commands (Look at Geno, it should be in his "Other" or something, in mostly every move.)

Even after that, his crouching blocked projectiles, so there was a Bit that I had to unset, or something similar.

Xaranid

Smash Apprentice
I like everything about design 1 better, except for arm length that was already discussed, and i like hat 2 better. Looks great i hope the model works out!

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Yeah, so I've finally got on into the homebrew channel yesterday. I've already installed a stage texture replacer thing, but that was over an existing stage. That's pretty much all I've downloaded asides from a custom stage on stage builder, so I was wondering If there's anything special I need to do/download to get the Forest Maze stage working, since when I tried it regularly, it froze up my wii.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
@thethirdkoopa: Where are you saving the file, which file are you using, and what version of the stage replacement code are you using?

@everyone: I'm pissed. My SECOND computer died now. Apparently there's a greater power that doesn't want me to make a geno model anytime soon. I can still do animations, but I was really wanting to code the animations based on the model itself first.

it seems the hunt for a model is still on.

Giygue

Smash Journeyman
@Douhneill: DANG, MAN! That just sucks!

About the appearance: I say Design 1 with design 2's cloak, and longer arms and legs.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
Fortunately, I'm pretty sure it's just a booting error (and this is actually a really good excuse for my mom to get another computer and give me the old one which will work much better once I get all necessary data out and reinstall Windows). But this still doesn't change the fact that I'm out of a useable computer that I can install anything onto for a while. I'll still be here, though. Finding ANY computer is easy enough.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
@thethirdkoopa: Where are you saving the file, which file are you using, and what version of the stage replacement code are you using?
To answer these:
Saving the File: I placed it in E\Private\Wii\app\RSBE\pf\stage\Melee

Now I know stage textures work on mine since I have things like Lineland and a Custom Stage hack.

Which File: Just the file in the download link on Page 23 to the stage.

Code: Stage Replacement code? I'm only using the file replacement code, unless there's a different one for Music, Characters, etc. The Version is 3.5.1. Is there any code I need for SSE Stages? Because I was thinking so. My boshi texture hack, and my music doesn't work yet I have all the directories linked right, so this might explain it.

As for your computer, that must really suck. I wish good luck to whoever ends up doing the Model. With my three days only of hacking, I must say it must be much easier said than done.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I believe so, in order to get the file replacement working correctly.

Also, if you don't have an NTSC version of Brawl, I can't guarantee it'll work.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I believe so, in order to get the file replacement working correctly.

Also, if you don't have an NTSC version of Brawl, I can't guarantee it'll work.
Yeah I have the NTSC and homebrew, just 6 months of not coming here made me forget a few things.

mercy

Smash Apprentice
Doesn't work.

I replaced the single pac file found in the toon link directory with all three fighter geno files, and no luck.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
It'll replace Toon Link's Blue costume! (Fighter Geno has his included.)
Right just to ask, what does Fighter Geno has his included mean? I assume you can only download Fighter or Cosmic but can you have both in the game at the same time?

God of Humility

Smash Journeyman
Right just to ask, what does Fighter Geno has his included mean? I assume you can only download Fighter or Cosmic but can you have both in the game at the same time?
It means the texture is included in the folder. You can't have both. (Use Almas's Alternate File Loader. It lets you use both of them but not at the same time.)

Top Bottom