• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project GENO - MarioDK Demo out

Uncle0wnage

Smash Cadet
actually if you look at this

it is closer to the one on the left.

1. his forearms are a wip
2. as you can see from the pick, he has no visible knee joints, his legs are short, and there are no elbow joints either. No detachment will occur, only slight bending of the model.
3.this is the standard t-pose used by animators, thus parts will be overlapping, have you ever seen a t-stanced model before?
4. will do

Uncle0wnage

Smash Cadet

arms changed, curls moved, color changed, legs spread out, body reshaped a bit,hat shaped, ears better, etc.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Definitely looking better so far, but I still feel as though he's too short at the moment. If you look at the in-game sprites, you'll actually see that Geno is *slightly* taller than Mario (not even counting his hat).

As for the legs, I doubt we'd want to see a drawn joint bending like that. Geno's made of wood, after all.

A couple more pointers:

- Place the fingers in the position of his hand in the official art (and consider giving them each bendable joints).
- Make his hair smaller still, and curl it less on the inside (as you'll see on the art, it really only curls once or twice).
- Make the nose larger.
- Make the mouth slightly wider (try the width between his eyes, and judge how that looks).
- Aim the lines under his eyes further straight down, rather than towards his neck.
- Work on the shape of his shoes (both the main portion and the "cuffs").

You're making *fantastic* progress so far, Uncle0wnage. I may be giving a lot of tips, but that's for the benefit of all of us. Don't let me discourage you. :D

Getsuei-Moon

Smash Cadet
Definitely looking better so far, but I still feel as though he's too short at the moment. If you look at the in-game sprites, you'll actually see that Geno is *slightly* taller than Mario (not even counting his hat).

As for the legs, I doubt we'd want to see a drawn joint bending like that. Geno's made of wood, after all.

A couple more pointers:

- Place the fingers in the position of his hand in the official art (and consider giving them each bendable joints).
- Make his hair smaller still, and curl it less on the inside (as you'll see on the art, it really only curls once or twice).
- Make the nose larger.
- Make the mouth slightly wider (try the width between his eyes, and judge how that looks).
- Aim the lines under his eyes further straight down, rather than towards his neck.
- Work on the shape of his shoes (both the main portion and the "cuffs").

You're making *fantastic* progress so far, Uncle0wnage. I may be giving a lot of tips, but that's for the benefit of all of us. Don't let me discourage you. :D
Yeah I agree with all of these tips, Bolt is making some good points...and Ownage your awesome man, your doing this all so fast and taking pointers really fast.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Niiiiice! Looking fantastic so far, Uncle0wnage! Bravo!

Let's do a status report...

Arms: FANTASTIC. They look just about ready to go. I especially love the work on the fingers!

Torso: Almost there. With the upper half of the torso, would it be possible to make the bottom, curvy part of it flat? More like carved wood, know what I mean? Also, perhaps consider making it a *tad* larger. Other than that, well done.

Legs: He still needs those knees to be able to bend them. Also, his legs to be longer in general.

Shoes: So far so good, but see if you can flatten out the sides of the "cuffs", like in the artwork.

Head: Pretty convincing so far! The eyes look great, but see if you can indent them *slightly* inside his head, as if they were carved there before being painted. The lines under his eyes look like they should be parallel to each other, rather than running toward his neck. The nose looks just about right, but I have to ask - is it a separate piece from his face? Because it looks like it was molded out at the moment (though that may easily just be me). Also, maybe round his ears out (they seem a little bit pointy). Finally, his mouth - again, parallel lines are the way to go.

Hat: Looking good so far - I like the attention to detail with the top, as his hat does turn into a sort of bun after the top of his head. His hat is sort of like a beanie or a skullcap that way.

Here; I made a quick mock-up height comparisons for Geno's in-game sprites.

As you can see, he is actually taller than Mario. His chin is above his, as is the top of his head (not even counting the "bun" of his hat). It seems as if he is actually as tall as Peach (without her crown).

In addition to that, I also gave you some extra reference shots, such as what Geno's hat looks like from the side, and the way his guns look when he uses them.

... Again, I don't want to make you feel like I'm breathing down your neck with all of these pointers. I realize this kind of work can't be a simple task, so allow me to say again how FANTASTIC it already looks. I'm simply a hardcore SMRPG fan, so I can understand how I could come off as demanding right now.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Ooooh, you're getting so close, I can taste it, my good man!

He definitely looks more accurate with longer legs. Though now something different is standing out. Just for a minute, can you see what he'd look like with a slightly smaller head? Just for science's sake?

You're getting closer with the boots, but I feel I should have explained better what I meant by "flatten" when I talked about the "cuffs". They're flat on the top and bottom, and smooth around the side, but the sides don't bulge at all. They're sort of like... pipes, if you know what I mean.

Also, thanks for the extra perspectives! His arms and legs look nice from the side, but it looks like he has a little bit of a belly now - too many mushrooms in his diet? xD

His ears are separate pieces of wood, by the way - as is his nose, but it looks like you have that under control already. Speaking of his nose, though, it was more like half a cone.

You've got the "bun" down pat on his hat - that's good. But don't forget the "Link-esque" part behind it - like in the sprites I posted above.

Finally, his hair - it's *almost* perfect, but it waves too much to the side. Geno's curl's are straight - from the front of either one of them, you can't see any any other piece but the outside. Also, it may just be me, but it looks like the hair is merging with the hat on its very edge.

You're doing great so far, man! Keep it up!

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Oh man. How did I miss this? This is great work! I'm busy at the moment, but I'll comment on this in a bit, I'm busy for the rest of the night.

Uncle0wnage - Is there any way I can contact you off SWF? I'd like to chat about you back and forth about some model details.

I'm hyped.

Getsuei-Moon

Smash Cadet
No homo dude but, I love you lol.
your Model on Geno is so Awesome!!!
I mean this is so crazy that people are making this much attempt to have Geno in brawl.
I love all of you who have helped to make Geno apart of SSBB.
Long Live Geno The Great!!! ^_^
Also,if any of you have an MSN may I have it..( I wanna have permission to add you guys)

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
I may not know how to make 3D models, but I *do* have basic photoshop skill.

Anyone else think the head looks more appropriate this way? I mean, Mario's head is bigger in his SMRPG artwork too.

EDIT: And just for the hell of it...

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
hello i'm new here, ... anywho amazing job Uncle0wnage amazing 3D Geno. grats keep on working

nice photoshop skills shadowbolt.

in my opinion i think once the 3D model is complete by Uncle Ownage, Shadowbolt should use their photoshop skills to tune it up like he did with the picture above simply amazing.

you guys would make a great team :)

can't wait till he's complete.

Geno for brawl!

i also saw this cool remix on youtube right here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-nu-BnLOq4

by the way i'm not advertising to youtube ok keep up the good work Uncle0wange great pointers Shadowbolt.

Uncle0wnage what program are u using? just wondering.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Yeeessssss! Looking great, Uncle0wnage! You're one step closer to perfection!

Now, let's do another progress report...

Arms: Might want to make his fingers the *tiniest* bit longer.

Legs: Great for now.

Shoes: Looking MUCH better, but try to straighten out the backs, and keep them from overlapping with the "cuffs".

Torso: Close, but you'll still want to make his stomach thinner, and center them out so neither his stomach or back stick out past the upper half of the torso. For reference, the back is already just about right. And still see if you can't make the top portion flat *only* on the bottom - giving it more of a carved look, essentially.

Head: Size looks much more proper now.
- His nose and ears look sized right, but they need to be entirely separate pieces instead of molded out of the head. Also, the ears are more like flattened and skewed spheres, rather than bulges.
- The hair is now shaped PERFECTLY, but try moving the middle one *directly* in the middle, and shrink them both *slightly*.
- I can tell that you're trying to indent the eyes, but at the moment it looks like their only indented at the bottom, rather than all around (if you look right under them in the front view, you'll see the carvings under his eyes sticking out).
- Try to make the lines under his eyes more parallel, starting from the very bottom of the eyes.
- Make sure that his mouth is curved along with the rest of his head - at the moment, it's sticking out like a chin.

Hat: Looking good so far, but remember that the "Link" part of Geno's hat also comes out on top - that's what gives it the "bun" look from the front view. Also, see if you can curve it on the end a little more.

Sorry, dude. I just feel the need to apologize with every tip-heavy post I make. You're still doing FANTASTIC, so keep up the good work! You're getting closer with every edit!

Zario

Smash Rookie

His ears should be slightly enlarged a bit and his nose and mouth should be lowered a couple inches. If you can adjust these and everything else Shadowbolt listed, he will be perfect!

Uncle0wnage

Smash Cadet
I'm taking a short break from Geno to play some Mass Effect 2, progress is stopped for now... until tomorrow

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
The one question I have is regarding height.
This was posted by Shadowbolt:

While it's seemingly a decent height comparison, I'd like to draw attention to the fact that Mario and Peach are basically the same size in that picture, as well. (The crown is the difference.) ...And obviously, Mario and Peach are not the same height in Smash. :p

I think an end-height of somewhere between Mario and Peach would be best.

Also, what's the poly-count on that Model?

And oh yes, I agree with Shadowbolt's sentiments.

Xaranid

Smash Apprentice
Anything new to show model-wise? Looks amazing so far, just needs a cape for perfection.

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
yeah the models amazing on the hat the only thing its missing is the yellow pizza pretzel like shape on it

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
yeah the models amazing on the hat the only thing its missing is the yellow pizza pretzel like shape on it
Speaking of - Is that going to be painted on, or elevated? I think elevated would really look best - Something like in one of the fan art pictures I used in this post.

Edit: For the lazy/to bring attention to it again:

(Click it)

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
About that shape on the hat - I'm of the opinion that it should stick out slightly, but still be knitted, as if it were an added layer stitched on.

Giygue

Smash Journeyman
I also think it should stick out, though avoid the jagged looking one in the fanart. also, just to be clear, you guys know the symbol on his hat is supposed to be a wind-up key, right? (WTF is a yellow pizza pretzel?!)

b2j135

Da Bess Pit
NNID
b2j135
3DS FC
3222-5569-3062
Speaking of - Is that going to be painted on, or elevated? I think elevated would really look best - Something like in one of the fan art pictures I used in this post.

Edit: For the lazy/to bring attention to it again:

(Click it)
Nintendo gave Pit an major update...so why not Geno? I say we go with Design 2.

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
hmm i would say give Geno a updated look, but have some of his appearance look like his classic look from Smrpg.

loved how shadow bolt Photoshoped Geno's appearance a page or two back.

can't wait to see a updated model of Geno by UncleOwnage

(a yellow pizza pretzel is a pizza pretzel cooked with curry btw)

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
^
There's nothing wrong with updating, but I think in this situation, most of us are in preference of being faithful to the original designs. We're making certain necessary changes (such as giving Geno visible knees and elbows so his limbs can bend), as well as some proportional changes in order to reach a healthy and accurate midpoint between both Geno's in-game sprites, and his one piece of official game art.

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
yeah your right Shadowbolt, i loved his original design, original designs are awesome, plus it feels if you change a characters appearance, you change its originality X3

Uncle0wnage

Smash Cadet
work on Geno will not occur until possibly the weekends, my free time is taken up by robotics and my school musical, so wait until sat-sun for updates.

Xaranid

Smash Apprentice
work on Geno will not occur until possibly the weekends, my free time is taken up by robotics and my school musical, so wait until sat-sun for updates.
No problem, your doing us a huge favor by making the model in the first place.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
^
This. I'm sure we can keep ourselves busy in the meantime.

Here's a curious question, my fellow Geno supporters: Once all of this model and moveset business is done and over with (regardless of how far away that may or may not be), what are we going to do about Geno's *voice*?

Will each of us with a passable microphone try our hand at it? Will we hunt down the guy who voiced Geno in that "I'm blowing up Japan" animation?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Will each of us with a passable microphone try our hand at it? Will we hunt down the guy who voiced Geno in that "I'm blowing up Japan" animation?
I didn't actually like his voice for that. I think it'd be a bit deeper, and more.. Woody?

As for the design - I'm mixed on the wind-up key. The official portrait has it painted on, but the sprite seemingly has it show a bit more prominently.

However, having a key jut out of his forehead would look weird.

Getsuei-Moon

Smash Cadet
^ well no one knows what Geno sounds like because he never talked in SMRPG, but yeah that voice the dude did for the Geno Skit seemed to fit him.So yeah I would go with that voice-over.l
@UncleO:I can't wait to see the new update, you've done an outstanding job so far and I salute you ^_^.
And for the updated or not updated version of Geno,I would say do some Updates like a better looking cape and possible adding a star to the end of his hat (seeing that that was his whole point of coming into Mario's world)and i don't know about the rest of you, but I don't want to see him naked anymore.I recommend clothes.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
I'd say I'd try my hand at voicing him, but my mics are all sadly crap.

As for the hat design, I'm pretty sure it's more prominent in his sprites because those are from an elevated point of view. About it being painted on in the portrait - remember, the artwork lacked fine detail that Brawl's character designs have.

Also, I agree that the design is shaped very much like a wind-up key.

But again, I'm of the opinion that the design is knitted on top of the already knitted hat.

EDIT: Getsue, the cape shouldn't really go into production until we know that what's underneath has been perfected.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
I'M BAAACK!!!! And it looks like I've been missing a LOT of stuff.
I think I have a grasp of what's going on right now, but I'm gonna ask a few questions, just to be sure, and so that I can throw my little bit into the pot.

1) About the model, have you covered issues pertaining to animation and specific moves? I'm talking about removable hands as well as guns here (and possibly a removable hat for the item taunt).

2) How are we with sound effects (Geno Whirl, Geno Beam, etc)? Or is there still no way to do that?

3) About Geno's voice, what options do we have? Because if our only problem for the voice is that it sounds too 'clean', couldn't we simply run it through a kind of filter?

Anyway, I gotta catch up on other stuff here too. Talk to you guys more soon.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Well, seeing that RandomTBrush has managged to figure out model injecting, I sure hope we can get back to working on the model soon! :D

Getsuei-Moon

Smash Cadet
@bolt, I know the cape won't be added till his body is perfect (or very close to it), but I'm just simply saying that when his cape is added it should be updated.
BTW its great to hear that RandomTBrush has figured out model injection.
Man I love people that hack for good and not evil ^_^.

Top Bottom