• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project GENO - MarioDK Demo out

NoBio

Smash Apprentice
Fighter Geno's moves were not what they showed in the screenshots. Is homebrew channel needed for this? I'm using the Brawl+ custom stage method to use the hack. Perhaps it doesn't work right on Brawl+?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
It's meant for Brawl+. I don't know if Custom Stage Method works properly for character .pacs.

Also, did you make sure to copy over the FitToonLinkMotionEtc.pac ? That file is vital for everything to work properly.

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman

And so I present to you Forest Maze, based off of the same area of Super Mario RPG fame! It has fog adjustments so it's the entire SSE level recently released with the B+ beta. It replaces Hyrule Temple. Enjoy!

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?vzdwzgho2wl
This is my first stage hack. What folder to I put it in? I'm guessing by the name pf/stage/melee/DX/shrine?
or is it just pf/stage/melee/dxshrine? And I'm guessing I DON'T rename it?

Famiac

Smash Rookie
How do i play on the custom stage? cant i use the file replacement 3.5.1? plz help

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
File replacement code.

Put it in pf\stage\melee

Don't rename it.

Select Hyrule Temple.

grim mouser

Smash Journeyman

Down-B doesn't have enough hitstun IMO. It's only really useful to rack up damage on a recovering enemy, as on the ground, lack of hitstun will get you punished, and in the air, you go into special fall.

I would prefer a chargeable Geno Beam, but the new version is pretty good anyway.

Everything is well-polished. Amazing to see how much can be done with PSA.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
@ Grim Mouser -> About Geno beam, don't worry too much, I'm making custom animations now, so the limitations that arose from using it in the air will be eliminated.

as such, I was thinking of brainstorming a few changes for some of his attacks, to make him look and feel a bit more like Geno.

1) We could give him a jab combo (first hit is when he swings his arm forward, and the second is when he fires the bullets). Similarly, we could make his ftilt and Fsmash involve the 'warmup' as part of the actual attack.
2) Just an idea, but we could have particular timing (like the timing for the original moves) where the attack does slightly more damage or knockback

actually, I'm really posting here to say that I need ideas (and maybe frame-specific instructions) as to what some animations could look like. So far the only real think I have is that during most of his animations, he's kinda rigid. I have 3 reasons for this: a) he's a wooden doll, b) it makes him seem a little more turn-based, and c) most of his animations from SMRPG seem more rigid than the rest of the cast (I might be wrong about that one).

Anyway, I'm needing some input before, during, and after for animations, 'cuz just doing something my way usually ends with me missing a lot.

LightSpineSonic

Smash Rookie
Could someone like send me his sd card contents(pal version codes) so it will actually works i tried everything so far and im out of idea's D:

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I've got a good suggestion for the FSmash, actually. I was thinking it would be a two hit combo, where the first hit sends the opponent forward, similar to a Wolf FSmash, and then the second is a spinning uppercut, as seen at 2:40 in this video.

As for jabs and whatnot, I think the jab could just be a rapid-spray of bullets with a short range, similar to Pit's rapid-fire jab in terms of hitboxes and range. The Ftilt would be shot where he fires a bigger shot from his elbow, which would obviously have more range, knockback, and damage, but be slower.

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
Douhneill, I'm not sure how familiar you are with SMRPG (if you've played it, watched videos for reference, or whatever). I found a sprite sheet showing pretty much every sprite of Geno appearing in the game, I'll explain each of them but if you already know you can skip that part:

http://sdb.drshnaps.com/sheets/Nintendo/Mario/SuperMarioRPG/Geno.gif

Geno Beam's startup are the six frames that appear in a row under the 'Unused Poses' box, that show Geno bringing out his gun. In SMRPG, he didn't move at all for the duration of the charge or shot itself, you might want to give him a bit of motion so he doesn't look frozen. This was the same animation used for the Hand Gun, where he fired a couple of large shells.

The three sprites just below there (Geno raising his hands) were used for both the Geno Boost and the startup for Geno Blast. The single frame after that (kneeling on the ground) was the animation used when firing Geno Blast.

Below this is the animation for Geno Flash, which should be his Final Smash. That's going to take a bit more work to get right, though...

Right across the 'disk' image is the startup for Finger Shot (holding out his hand before firing a small spray of bullets.) Other than that, the right side of the image shows 4 attack animations: Rocket Punch, Hand Cannon (firing cannonballs from the elbow), Double Punch, and Star Gun.

You can get creative from here if you want. Frame data isn't overly important, since PSA can speed up or slow down animations. If you make an animation, we'll probably use it, but for a start, stick with making the animations that appeared in SMRPG and we can figure out what to do with them afterward.

As for the Bowyer Spinning Uppercut Punch, I'm a little unsure what should be done with it. It could work as a FSmash, however I think that Star Gun would make a better FSmash, since it fits in a tier-raising fashion (Finger Shot for jab, Hand Cannon or Hand Gun for FTilt, Star Gun - his strongest weapon - for FSmash). Maybe he can have a spinning uppercut for his Up Smash? Or we can keep the idea of making it his FAir, since sticking to canon is tricky when Geno never attacked from the air in SMRPG.

Incidentally, we never even took Rocket Punches into account. I wonder if there's a way to detach a hand without the arm stretching out to connect with it?

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Request. Is it possible to have the custom stage made to replace wifi room? I want to use it with PW's code.

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC1_0WPaVqk
This one would be cool, but I haven't got this one in .mp3, so I can't send a request to the music request thread.

I agree, it would be great.
Forest Maze is a good song, only problem is that it's kind of a bit slow for a fighting game. If you look around though, you'll find plenty of remixes. My favorites are the following:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/119772 (Sounds like a boss battle song)
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/95827 (A little slower but still upbeat)

You can download the MP3s from the links as well.

DeltaV

Smash Rookie
i actually like the original version of the music more than the remixes, because i think that fast music doesnt fit forest maze at all.

Darkji

Smash Cadet

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Some don't work at all I've heard.

ALSO :v

Nobody said anything about the epic fighter geno dash attack. wtf :V

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
Hey guys, Finally got to spend more than 10 minutes on the computer at a time. I figured I might as well start doing all possible animations... BAD MOVE. Anyway, I'll (hopefully) have the full length Geno Beam (as well as a proper looking nod) done by Monday. It won't have any real bells and whistles because of the changes in bones once I make a custom model.

The downside to this custom model is that I have to either:
a) Post the model, and spend a number of hours deleting any animations involving bones that are no longer used, so that the animations don't freeze the game,
b) Don't post the model, but only post 'vanilla' animations until I have a complete set, or
c) Don't post anything until I'm ready

I'm not one for hiding my work, but plan A would be a lot more work, and I'm given very little time on the computer to do anything real. But, if some people are dying to see as much as they can, I won't be too stingy.

Mr.Weegee

Smash Ace
how'd you get rid of the shield, sheath, and sword?
whenever i delete the texture, they just become black.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
By posting the model, you mean releasing it to Indigo and I, correct? Either way, it's a moot point until we can import the model in the game. I'd love to see the progress of the model itself though, once you being working on it.

Also, if you're working on animations for Toon Link/Geno, I have a small request.

Two animations, one where he puts forth both arms like so:

And holds his arms out for... 100 frames?

And then the second animation would just be him returning back to a neutral position, starting from the end point of the previous one.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
By posting the model, you mean releasing it to Indigo and I, correct? Either way, it's a moot point until we can import the model in the game. I'd love to see the progress of the model itself though, once you being working on it.

Also, if you're working on animations for Toon Link/Geno, I have a small request.

Two animations, one where he puts forth both arms like so:

And holds his arms out for... 100 frames?

And then the second animation would just be him returning back to a neutral position, starting from the end point of the previous one.
Sure, I could probably do something like that. Should I replace a particular animation, or should I just save it as "(insert name here).chr0"?
The problem with doing these sorts of animations within Brawl mean that even though he's a possessed doll, he doesn't look right without having most of his body move because of some other part of his body moving (which is annoying. I wanted him to not have exaggerated movements). For example, my first animation was Geno Whirl. I had him move his hind leg behind him, turn around about 70 degrees to the left, and attack with his right arm as would be expected. When I play tested it, it looked bad. Just, very bad. And since this is really my first time animating in 3d (I'm used to 2d, and the jump to 3d is just awkward), that means that what would normally take a couple hours might now take a couple days, depending on the animation. Right now, my goal is to finish the 3 parts to the Geno Beam animation that Indigo requested, and I'll leave the proper nod animation as a side-project. Oh, and I learned that (for some strange reason) the game freezes for my custom animations whenever I don't use Shadic's texture. I don't know why, but keep that in mind.

AAGH!! wall of text! I hate it when I do that! Anyway, I'm gonna take a break from animating for a couple hours so my eyes don't kill themselves.

*edit* So, I've tested my Geno Beam animation, and it freezes upon activation. It probably has something to do with the fact that part 1 of the animation is 10 frames shorter than the original, which means I'm either going to need to learn PSA whenever I shorten effects, or just have blank frames at the end until you guys shorten it yourselves. Anyway, back to playtesting.

*edit again* nevermind, I lengthened the animation, and it still froze.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Maybe make the first part of the animation be his SpecialLw, and the second part SpecialAirLw? Those are the two animations I'm going to be using, anyways.

As for the crashing, maybe post in the Brawlbox topic? Somebody there could have an idea.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
Nah, the freezing was an animation blunder. I'll fix it once I get a solid 'charging' animation done.
As for the animation names themselves, I've been editing SpecialN(Start, hold and End). I had to play around a bit with PSA to get the beam to come out when he actually moves his arm forward, but I'm fairly happy with how my work is 'improving'. Anyway, when it comes to the actual model, things are going pretty slow. I finally got a model program on my external hard drive, and it dies, so I'm going to have to recollect the install files from my friends (those stingy *******s). When I'm happy with how it all looks, I'll make a big spectacle of it, but not a moment sooner.

If it's okay, I made a video showing a couple Brawls using Geno. Can't really tell which Geno I'm using, because it seems to have animations from -both- of them...I'm currently using the Fighter PAC.

Unfortunately, I don't have a capture card, so the visual AND audio quality are fail. The visual quality is almost decent, but I had to input music as a replacement for audio...in the description, it links to this topic, and gives basic information.

The video is taking a while to become live, so I'll edit this post after it finishes.

EDIT: Video

Shadic and IndigoFenix, if you dislike the video or just don't want it on YouTube for whatever reason, just tell me and I'll remove it posthaste.

EDITEDIT: Oh, yes...a bit of constructive criticism, while I'm at it. Geno seems...OP. Just one of my stupid ideas, but, I think it would be best to nerf his specials a bit...I mean, 40% on fully charged Geno Blast?

I think you should either make nerf each of the specials by 1/4, or at least give them a bit of recoil (like Pichu). Again, this is just one of my stupid ideas, feel free to ignore me.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
That'd be my Geno. It's definitely got my Jab, throws, Dash Attack, etc. It's fine to stay online, it's not like I can control everything after putting it public anyways. :)

Looks like you've got a camera put up to a CRT television?

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
EDITEDIT: Oh, yes...a bit of constructive criticism, while I'm at it. Geno seems...OP. Just one of my stupid ideas, but, I think it would be best to nerf his specials a bit...I mean, 40% on fully charged Geno Blast?

I think you should either make nerf each of the specials by 1/4, or at least give them a bit of recoil (like Pichu). Again, this is just one of my stupid ideas, feel free to ignore me.
I haven't done a lot of testing to figure out the potential interactions between my Specials and Fighter Geno's physics. Try out Cosmic Geno to judge Specials, it could be that Fighter's, being a faster character in general, might need to be nerfed. Also, make sure you're playing a human opponent, CPU's habit of running back and forth in the path of an oncoming attack tends to make them a lot easier to hit with slow-charge, long-range attacks.
The unorthodox design of Geno Blast's hitbox, lag, and power been a point of contention since the beginning, but I think if anything it's underpowered, since it's practically impossible to land it on a human player. I think Shadic's planning on making a new Down-B, but I'm pretty set on making sure that he has some game-worthy form of each of his SMRPG Specials in his moveset.

I just found out something good! By changing all Trans values on all bones for an animation, you can get any character's animation to fit any model! So some of the older animations might work with the Ness/Lucas body shape. I'm going to try it out.

I haven't done a lot of testing to figure out the potential interactions between my Specials and Fighter Geno's physics. Try out Cosmic Geno to judge Specials, it could be that Fighter's, being a faster character in general, might need to be nerfed. Also, make sure you're playing a human opponent, CPU's habit of running back and forth in the path of an oncoming attack tends to make them a lot easier to hit with slow-charge, long-range attacks.
The unorthodox design of Geno Blast's hitbox, lag, and power been a point of contention since the beginning, but I think if anything it's underpowered, since it's practically impossible to land it on a human player.
Hm, trying against a human player...that's one of the main problems I've always had while playing Brawl, though I do see your point. The only person that I have near me that could possibly be a test is my brother, though he's hard to convince. I'll try later when he gets home from work.

Shadic said:
Looks like you've got a camera put up to a CRT television?
Mmm...yet another semi-embarrassing thing. I made replays of each match, then pulled out my step-dad's camera and played them again. The video-capture part of the camera is...painful -- that's the reason that the videos (most noticeably the second one) were so shaky. But yes, it is a CRT, and I have a camera available...most of the time.

[Slightly off-topic: A strange thing I've noticed with replays on Brawl+ is that if you replay a normal Brawl on it, it'll be screwed up badly. The same happens if you replay a Brawl+ match when it's not turned on.]

EDIT: I've tried battling against a CPU level 9 Geno, and it's amazing how quickly they figure out the Timed Hit for Geno Whirl...and how they put it to good use. Yet they can't figure out they need to charge Blast and Beam.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
That's because the AI is set to certain specifics of what buttons to press at what times in order to get the most damage. However, since Toon Link doesn't have any chargeable moves in the same sense as Geno Beam or Blast, the AI doesn't understand what to do with them.

In other news, I got the Geno Beam animations mostly working. There's a few glitches involving aerial to ground effects (sometimes when you jump and press b, he flies to the left, right or downward, I haven't been able to duplicate it at will), and the game freezes when a platform disappears from underneath him while charging, but it's going fairly well. If I can manage to get it all working and fixed up by the end of the day tomorrow, I'll be very happy.

Top Bottom