• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Programmers Cafe

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Technically Eclipse is an IDE that invokes the javac compiler to compile your Java code... but that's probably what you meant in the first place.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
try "../yourincludefolder/contentfile"
That's what I do with all my current pages, but if I have a page in a different folde,r it doesn't work. because the include folder is in a higher up folder, and not in the directory the new file would be in.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Chi: try "/includes/blah.txt". That will always map to your site's root directory, and then into the includes subfolder.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Chi: try "/includes/blah.txt". That will always map to your site's root directory, and then into the includes subfolder.
That's what I just said I tried. It always looks in the curent folder for it. I tired putting in a full link from the site's domain and that doesn't work either.

EDIT: I was searching and I found some stuff about auto_prepend and auto_append. I think thats the soilution, but I don't really unerstand them much. Anyone care to shed some light?

Velox

Smash Ace
I think JCreator is a better IDE (intergrated developer's environment, in other words the program you program (lol) in, so that you don't have to use notepad :ohwell:) than Eclipse, it seems cleaner, not a lot of erroneous features (compatativly...), etc.

But if you're looking for a compiler, just Sun Java (version 5 now).

Velox

Smash Ace
I think cleaner is a good enough answer, also, I noticed it doesn't take up as much memory to use (good for those of us not on fast computers). Definatly the prefered IDE for those of us just wanting to get up and go program without actually needing an IDE and just trying to avoid notepad so I don't have to type file paths every 5 seconds. Also the spacing seemed more familiar to me, even when I set Eclipse up with the highlights and spacing I wanted, I dunno, it just didn't seem able to do a few things. Also, it's more widly accepted, which means better cross-platform support (well, not really cross-platform, just a higher likelyhood of a random computer containing JCreator, which I discovered was the truth at the public computers at the college I go to.)

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Ok thanks guys. I really appreciate the replies I've gotten back so far. Yeah I used Code Warrior in school.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Read closer. Try "/includes", not "../includes".
My bad I didn't even know the original guy had put the dots. Either way the don't work. The whole thing I'm trying to say isthat NO FILE, not my php, or images even can be used in a folder unless they're in THAT directory. I need to figure out how to pull it form anywher ein the main directory.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
hmm well....

It's my first time working with permanent storing of data and I was wondering an efficient easy way with C#

I could just use notepad, but that would be easy to edit
I have SQL server, but i've only ever set it up with VB

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
TextPad > all.
Haha, sure if you're doing some small thing by yourself. But if it's that trivial of a project then it doesn't really matter that editor you use.

For actual commercial projects, TextPad isn't enough. It's just NotePad 2.0, certainly not am IDE.

Visual Studio ftw. :)

GOTM

Smash Champion
Visual Studio ftw. :)
visual studio is great but a hell of a big program. also, on older PC's...ehh...can do better.

notepad is also good but i mean, lacking plenty of features. theres some small "notepad-like" things out there that have coloring features for different coding languages that i think win in this category.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
Yea, you know what I hate about notepad? When I program I like it to be ordered... I have to do Enter--> Tab every time... like when opening

if (a==0)
{

}

I hate to tab on notepad... and when there are various conditions (if, do, while, etc.) automatic tabing (hey I invented a word!) is a must

GOTM

Smash Champion
does visual studio by default even auto tab? all i know is i had to tab myself in VS also, lol. i like my stuff to be ordered too.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hold on people, I was talking TextPad, not NotePad. TextPad is still > all.

Actually, yes, Visual Studio 2005 is a hell of an IDE. My only complaints are that it is significantly slower than 2002 (my previous C/C++/C# IDE), and sometimes the dockable windows don't behave properly. But yeah. Definitely a wonderful environment to program in.

And yes, it auto-tabs. It will also reformat code blocks if you re-type a closing brace. And you have about a billion options on how to format individual constructs: whether "case" labels should be indented, whether to put a { on the same line as an if, whether to put a space between an opening parenthesis and the contents, etc etc etc.

Jammer

Smash Lord
I hate to tab on notepad... and when there are various conditions (if, do, while, etc.) automatic tabing (hey I invented a word!) is a must
It would be "automatic tabbing", not "tabing", and it's already called "automatic indentation" or "smart indentation" or something like that. Don't know what you're trying to say here.

I guess if you want your text editor to tab for you, try emacs? Or vim? I dunno, I haven't actually used them.

DaBearX

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, haven't been around in a while and I'm looking for some help. Hopefully a topic like this hasn't already been covered.

I'm working in Java to develop an 3D OpenGL application. My associates are using 3ds Max to generate assets (textured models and animations). I am trying to write a loader for .3ds files or find shareware to do it for me with good documentation and/or tutorials as I am a huge novice. Can anyone give me recommendations to one they know of?

I found a reasonably simple C++ loader and was trying to port it but it relies heavily on unsigned simple types which java does not support (mainly having trouble trying to access overflown indeces in matrices). Any java guru's know a way around that?

Having been unable to find a model loader I could easily change to fit my needs I intend to modify the C++ loader to instead convert .3ds files to .txt files that I can read into a java application and use. Is this just a silly idea?

Thanks in advance gents,
Bear

P.S. I realize this question seems more appropriate for that other thread specifically on game dev (though not many people seem to be active in there), my apologies.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I wrote a Java 3DS loader a few years back. I'll try digging it up later today to see how I did it.

Icetrash

Smash Journeyman
Ok I've just recently being doing torrent downloading. I downloaded Azureus because my friend highly recommended it. Then I went onto isohunt and started to download Good Luck Chuck. It said it was a dvdrip in an avi. format. It is 705MB in size also. Anyway it just finished downloading and then I play it in Windows Media Player and all it is is a black window for 3 seconds. Does this mean I just downloaded 705MB for nothing, or do I have to do something for it to work?

GOTM

Smash Champion
Ok I've just recently being doing torrent downloading. I downloaded Azureus because my friend highly recommended it. Then I went onto isohunt and started to download Good Luck Chuck. It said it was a dvdrip in an avi. format. It is 705MB in size also. Anyway it just finished downloading and then I play it in Windows Media Player and all it is is a black window for 3 seconds. Does this mean I just downloaded 705MB for nothing, or do I have to do something for it to work?
this is in the wrong thread but w.e

it could be that you dont have the right codec to play the file. do you have divx?

Icetrash

Smash Journeyman
No, should I get it?

Edit - It says though that the duration is only 3 seconds so is a new Video/Audio player really going to work?

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes when you don't have the correct codec or if you're trying to play a format that your media can't play, things don't work correctly. You should try Divx, but if that doesn't work, you can also try vlc media player (found here)

GOTM

Smash Champion
yeah vlc will play everything, but if you really like windows media player, i would just get the codec, because VLC is missing some features such as:

no progress bar when in full screen (god that annoys me)

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
VB.NET is a .NET language. This means that your VB code is compiled to Microsoft's "MSIL" intermediate language -- it's like Java's bytecode if you're familiar. As a .NET language, VB.NET has access to all of .NET's code libraries (as rich as Java's) and can interact with programs created in any other .NET language (C#, Managed C++, J#, etc. etc. etc.).

Most of the syntax is the same as in VB, with the addition of some new keywords and concepts to better support some of the standard features of the .NET platform. You shouldn't have much of a problem moving over; the biggest hurdle will be in learning the new libraries.

Top Bottom