• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Programmers Cafe

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
Here, you can put your programming question and it will be answered as fast as we can.

Also, this topic is for discussing programming stuff, such as editors, best way to implement something, libraries, advice, etc.

Covered Languages:

-Assembler
-Actionscript 2 & 3
-ASP.NET
-Batch
-C++
-C#
-CSS
-HTML
-Java
-Javascript
-Liberty BASIC
-Phyton
-Perl
-Pascal
-PHP
-QBasic
-Small Talk
-TI BASIC
-Visual Basic
-XML
-XSLT

Confirmed helpers:

-Eight Sage (Assembler, Batch, Pascal, C++, C#, Visual Basic, Small Talk, Java, HTML)
-Falco&Victory (Visual Basic, C#, HTML, PHP)
-snoblo (Java)
-GOTM (CSS, HTML, C++, Javascript)
-marthsword (CSS, Actionscript 2 & 3)
-Jammer (TI Basic)
-nealdt (C, C#, C++, Java, Python, ASP.NET, Javascript, HTML, CSS, XML, XSLT and other web based languages)
-Velox (Java, C++, Pascal, Javascript, Perl)
-DaBearX (Java)
-Ikural (QBasic)
-marthsword (Liberty BASIC)

(If you would like to help, PM me telling what language you know and I'll put your name on the list).

Keep in mind you actually ask to help, so, If needed, you have to replay questions. "Knowing" something doesn't make you a helper ok? Thanks!

Edit:
1º- Added Falco&Victory to the helpers list and HTML and C# on the covered Languages.
2º- Added snoblo to the helpers list.
3º- Added GOTM to the helpers list and PHP, Javascript on the covered Languages.
4º- Sorry for the delay! University Stuff... Added marthsword, Jammer, nealdt, Velox, DaBearX to the helpers list and CSS, Actionscript 2 & 3, TI BASIC, Phyton, Perl, ASP.NET, XML, XSLT on the covered languages. Also, I put the languages with his respective helpers in order to don't get confused.
5º- Added Ikural to the helpers list and QBasic on the covered Languages.
6º- Added marthsword to the helpers list and Liberty Basic on the covered Languages.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
Though I'm no pro, I can help on Java (the only language I have been recently using).

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
i know HTML, C++, Javascript

i can help :)
Added! now you have to help if needed ;)

Ooh, how about PHP? And add Gid under the helper for it
Ok, forgot PHP. About adding Gid, let's only put guys who request to help.

man C# can be complicated sometime =\

I like VB better, but it's just SO much slowerzords
Actually C++ offers excellent performance, it's faster than VB and most languages (high level ones). But if you want to make something user-friendly, VB is the choice, even though is slow :ohwell:

Edit: I have a question, I want to learn PHP, which is the best PHP editor (free) ?

Jammer

Smash Lord
Heh, a lot of people are saying they can help, but no one has asked a real programming question yet.

I've dabbled in about forty different languages, but I usually don't get beyond "Hello world!" and calculating the Fibonacci sequence. I used to think I was going to be a computer programmer when I grew up, but now I doubt that. An exception is programming my TI calculator in the built-in BASIC to make programs that solved problems that were on upcoming tests. About half the class would get a 100% on the tests; the other half would get their usual grade. Can you tell which half contained the people I was friendly with?

In fact, TI BASIC is the only language I'm proficient in. So if someone would like a program they can input onto their calculator to solve a specific problem, or to do generic things like factoring a number, or whatever, I'm your man.

But we still don't have any users of this service. I guess the only people who come to Computer Cafe are the ones who already know how to program.

GOTM

Smash Champion
yea i guess that's kind of true in a way, but i mean, i major in computer science at drexel, so in the future i even might have some programming questions if things involve a language im not familiar with. even though we all seem to know how to program, we can all still have questions cuz it seems we're the ones that need to learn it more, haha.

plus, there's always new members coming in that might be in the same situation. maybe the computer cafe is just not the first thing people look at

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have a degree in computer science am a phenomenal programmer (programming is the one thing I allow myself to be cocky about, sorry :)). I run a website (links in sig) and develop an advanced C# app in my spare time. I can answer questions about C, C++, C#, Java, Python, web stuff (ASP.NET, Javascript, HTML, CSS, XML, XSLT...), and general concepts.

*shrug*

Falco&Victory: C# isn't any faster than VB.NET. They both compile to MSIL (.NET's [theoretically] platform-independent bytecode), so their speed is limited by your .NET runtime.

Jammer

Smash Lord
nealdt: Your TIA Tournament Archive thing looks pretty cool. Just so you know, the "read more about me here" link on the main page of your site is broken.

GOTM

Smash Champion
I know, I never got around to writing anything interesting about myself :).
haha..

thats cool that you have a degree in CS. hopefully that will be me as well. i really like your tourney software as well, and your site is really functional and cool also.

oh, and a note on the side, thanks for all that you've done for the smash tournament community

Velox

Smash Ace
I'm main Java.

But I'm also a beast at C++ and Pascal (even though it's a dead launguage). I've dabbled in Javascript and Perl as well. I'd like to learn Ruby (and make it my main language) if I could find time. I'm also trying to learn LISP for AI purposes seeing that's what I'm starting to like more than what I'm getting my degree in currently (Biology).

None of this was in college though, I got 3rd in state UIL computer science here in Texas though :) Should have been 1st though...

If any of you like to program as a hobby (like me), here is a cool website with a lot of tough algorith-type computer science programs ---> www.hpcodewars.org

So I guess the only thing I would bring to this thread is algorithm and PASCAL (like it matters) knowledge...

DaBearX

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I'm a novice programmer. I am decent with java, and ... thats about it really. I'm an aspiring game developer, anyone well versed in OpenGL (or--ideally open license--physics engines)?

GOTM

Smash Champion
Noooooo not Perl! Python all the way!
lol, i started to learn python on my own, but it seems as if there's a lot of simple little scripts you can create with perl that perform a variety of tasks. but then again, maybe python is the same, lol

Formula1

Smash Apprentice
THis is not as much as a coding question as it is a learning question

-I've tried working with flash (expensive...), C#, C++ and Visual Basic
But all too often I find myself getting frustrated and giving up on lessons
(because I feel like all I am doing is cutting and pasting and then learning the definition of each word)

I'm wondering if learning it from a teacher is better then learning from the internet. Or if there an even better course of action.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
Learning from a real-life teacher is the BEST way to learn. I remember trying to learn C++ for the first time with a book i borrowed from the library. A lot of stuff was so confusing to me. But after I took a summer course on C++, everything was so different. I actually felt like I understood the stuff I was learning, not just guessing and assuming stuff. I also tried learning python from online tutorials, but after I took a course on it everything seemed much clearer. I guess it's much easier to understand stuff when there's someone there to help you. Just my thoughts. =D

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
What snoblo said. Yes, there are teachers who don't know what they're doing, can't communicate effectively, don't care about students... but they are, as a group, well-trained professionals who know the best techniques for enabling others to learn. So the best way to learn for ALMOST anyone is always from a professional teacher.

I'm biased though, being in school to become a teacher.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Thank god we have one of these threads :p

I'm needing an HTML or PHP script to allow user's to upload things. Google isn't helping =_=

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
First link from a google search. Remember, Google is your friend!

Also, make sure to not forget about security. Sorry I can't help you with php though.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I know CSS isn't listed on the first post, but does anyone know how to make it so all firefox toolbars share one background image?

GOTM

Smash Champion
I know CSS isn't listed on the first post, but does anyone know how to make it so all firefox toolbars share one background image?
i know someone that knows CSS. i can probably have an answer for you sometime tommorrow

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
If any of you like to program as a hobby (like me) [...]
Most programmers started this way! ;)

Hey, I'm a novice programmer. I am decent with java, and ... thats about it really. I'm an aspiring game developer, anyone well versed in OpenGL (or--ideally open license--physics engines)?
HERE , that thread was created with that purpose. Hope it helps any question just ask there.

THis is not as much as a coding question as it is a learning question
This thread isn't only for codding questions... At first that was my idea, "Any Code Support Thread" was the title... but I realized that Programmers didn't had a thread of his own, so I decided to change the name to "Programmers Cafe".

That way we can talk about anything involving programming: coding, curiosity, performance, etc... questions from "which language should I use" to "I want to connect to a MySQL Data Base with Java".

Velox

Smash Ace
So, this thread kind of got me back into programming again after quite a few years (2? 3?), and LISP is apparently pretty ****in cool, although it's something totally different, complex, powerful in its own LISPy way... I stilll will never be swayed from Java though...

Anyone else think recursion is the single most interesting thing in programming? Especially recursion that goes about things in a "smart" way, and doesn't blindly try every possible option. Makes solving problems like this amazingly fun.

I was always thinking about getting a degree at CS (or attempting, I find it funny how kids think their college degrees will just come as granite), but I couldn't do all that real world stuff. No offense Nealdt, but that stuff seeems hella boring. I'm not a real programmer in that sence, but I don't really want to be :p Oh, but good job though with that degree and the site, seriously, nice job.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
So, this thread kind of got me back into programming again after quite a few years (2? 3?), and LISP is apparently pretty ****in cool, although it's something totally different, complex, powerful in its own LISPy way... I stilll will never be swayed from Java though...
Glad to hear you're programming again :) it's really frustrating when it doesn't work, and really pleasant when you see your work running ok. LISP is cool, but Java is the king nowadays.

Anyone else think recursion is the single most interesting thing in programming?.
Me! recursion is awesome, just look at how few lines can do what hundreds...

I was always thinking about getting a degree at CS (or attempting, I find it funny how kids think their college degrees will just come as granite), but I couldn't do all that real world stuff. No offense Nealdt, but that stuff seeems hella boring. I'm not a real programmer in that sence, but I don't really want to be :p Oh, but good job though with that degree and the site, seriously, nice job.
You should get a degree, you get paid for program, and can enter in big companies with that. Imagine programing for Google, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sun, etc.?

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Velox: yes, website programming is boring. That's why I'm not a professional programmer despite the degree :) (I'm going to be a teacher). I only code stuff that interests me -- like running tournaments, for example, and getting the results online. Hence the site.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
well it's not perfectly a 'converter', but for example i've created a program where you can enter what color text you want, what pics, etc and it makes either HTML, Javascript or CSS for you. Even though it's already been done....

STILL!

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord

Anyone else think recursion is the single most interesting thing in programming? Especially recursion that goes about things in a "smart" way, and doesn't blindly try every possible option. Makes solving problems like this amazingly fun.

Programming in Java makes me lazy... but wait, I already am =D

Recursion??! What's recursion?! *reads definition again*

I'm actually working on an undergraduate degree in Computer Engineering from... guess where?!! It's cool that there are other similarly boring people like myself that play Smash. Boring in a way that a girl would go... "what's that mean? You must either make a lot of money, or will make a lot of money eventually."

Top Bottom