• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Professor's Notes - A Guide to Being Super Effective With Pokémon Trainer

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
i found charizard to most useful against PX
Squirtle dies at like 20%
Squirtle gets killed early if you're not used to Ganondorf. I've gotten used to him from playing against PX's Ganondorf about once a week since school's started back up, and Squirtle is capable of taking 2 stocks off as long as I don't get careless. Soon as you do, though, you're dead. XD

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I added all the stuff that seemed good enough to add from the critiques everyone gave, and then I clicked a bookmark, accidentally.

None of that saved.

I'm angry, but I'm going to do it again in a minute.

At least my extra stuff on Squirtle saved.

iAteUrRamen

Smash Rookie
Awesom guide, dude. Pokemon trainer has always been one of my best characters, and now I use him even better :p

Bomber7

Smash Hero
If help is needed on character info concerning match-up information, I can piece together that. :)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I swear, I'll update this soon. Studying for finals right now, but there's a lot I want to add, and it will benefit all of you and myself.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Has anyone ever noticed how the three pokemons initials (in order that they come out) is CSI?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Actually, on DOJO and in the guide book, charizard is always first.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Reflexwonder, I can make pics for your guide, If you want me too.
I can also get al the fresh data damage for you.

Or do you want to do all that yourself?
Great guide btw, about time at least one of the character boards got an updated guide.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Reflexwonder, I can make pics for your guide, If you want me too.
I can also get al the fresh data damage for you.

Or do you want to do all that yourself?
Great guide btw, about time at least one of the character boards got an updated guide.
It would be appreciated throughout.

I've been really busy with lots of stuff. Rough times for me.

T-block

B2B TST
It's been bothering me forever, so I changed all the "pokèmon"'s to "pokémon" =x

So just out of curiosity, what's the status of this? Is there still more to come?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Yes. There's a lot to come out of me, as far as Brawl goes.

I keep making excuses, but now that MLG has come, I want to get much better and practice all the time.

I have two research papers and a few finals to deal with in the next week-and-a-half. After that, I'll be able to address all the other things.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Ivysaur

Ivysaur is widely considered to be the worst Pokemon of the three. Having terrible aerial mobility and a tether recovery/grab really does make it difficult to make good things happen. Still, for all the trouble that causes, she does have a few very good properties. Bullet Seed is in a category by itself--invincibility frames on startup, amazing range, and easily causing 30-ish% on an opponent is a godsend. Her other useful moves have unique properties--B-Air, D-Tilt, and F-Tilt all have excellent range. F-Smash has great range and is a very solid KO move.
:confused:

since when ;;

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
actually i believe it's frames 1-3 and frame 4 hits without invincibility.

also z'zgashi, i put that on my custom brawl music a long time ago. :D

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
They need to add Teddiursa too SSBB.

:p But anyway, I love this guide. I just recently started using the pokemon individualy and SERIOUSLY looking at their moves. I'd Kinda have to say that I might have to SLIGHTLY disagree with all the bad Ivysaur rep. In a way, every pokemon is balanced. Squirtle is majorly affective with LOADS of added energy (which is my style of play). Charizard is more of the punishing type, with all that immence killing power, and Ivysaur is a combination of the two.. Try adding loads of movment energy to Ivysaur and she becomes a walking mindgame. And I'd have to agree with the Ivy's up smash.. It's rediculous, and I LOVE it. I killed Link at 96%(after dmg applied) and absolutly NO chance of DI. but still, if I mained any of the pokemon alone, it would most likely be Squirtle.

:) Again, love the guide.

Future Peach Pro
-PeachGuard

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
From what I've drawn for the conversation. Start with squirtle and then work with Ivysaur as much as th match up calls then get back to Squirt.

But I love Ivysaur too much to listen to logic.
I know this is just some other noob talking, but I believe it's how much passion you have for making a character affective. Keep in mind that any character can punish and be punished. Ivysaur's upsmash... is... well..

*Jesus sneezed on Ivysaur and give her the ability to kill at 0% :p*

That move is totaly rediculous. When it comes to a bad matchup with Ivysaur, that's when your knowledge of the other character comes into play. Not only that, but their playing style. Punish whenever you can because, not only the upsmash, but most of her moves can harshly punish players to either run into more dmg, or a misplaced stock.

My friend has a bunch of hacks for the Wii so I get to practice with all the pokemon individualy. Ivysaur is something I'm trying to work with more now( next to Squirtle).

So yeah, basically, NEVER GIVE UP ON YOUR PASSION AS AN IVYSAUR PLAYER.

YOU GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!

Kith

Smash Ace
I know this is just some other noob talking, but I believe it's how much passion you have for making a character affective. Keep in mind that any character can punish and be punished. Ivysaur's upsmash... is... well..

*Jesus sneezed on Ivysaur and give her the ability to kill at 0% :p*

That move is totaly rediculous. When it comes to a bad matchup with Ivysaur, that's when your knowledge of the other character comes into play. Not only that, but their playing style. Punish whenever you can because, not only the upsmash, but most of her moves can harshly punish players to either run into more dmg, or a misplaced stock.

My friend has a bunch of hacks for the Wii so I get to practice with all the pokemon individualy. Ivysaur is something I'm trying to work with more now( next to Squirtle).

So yeah, basically, NEVER GIVE UP ON YOUR PASSION AS AN IVYSAUR PLAYER.

YOU GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!
First off, welcome to the PT boards :-)

You'll probably find that a lot of us love Ivysaur (I do). I really do love her play style. However, if we just look at the situation objectively, Ivysaur is definitely the lowest tier of the three. Her standing grab is slower than the average human's reaction time and not very long considering it is a tether grab. Worst of all, she's incredibly gimpable >.<.

I'm not saying this to discourage you from playing her, and I'm pretty sure a lot of people here feel the same way. The reason we bring up Ivy's weaknesses is not to say "Avoid using her at all cost". Rather, we're trying to get a very firm grasp on our character weaknesses so that we can become better players. There are some match-ups where I love using Ivysaur (DK, Bowser, and some other bigger characters), but if we don't acknowledge our weaknesses, we're going to be beat.

Don't lose that passion!

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
First off, welcome to the PT boards :-)

You'll probably find that a lot of us love Ivysaur (I do). I really do love her play style. However, if we just look at the situation objectively, Ivysaur is definitely the lowest tier of the three. Her standing grab is slower than the average human's reaction time and not very long considering it is a tether grab. Worst of all, she's incredibly gimpable >.<.

I'm not saying this to discourage you from playing her, and I'm pretty sure a lot of people here feel the same way. The reason we bring up Ivy's weaknesses is not to say "Avoid using her at all cost". Rather, we're trying to get a very firm grasp on our character weaknesses so that we can become better players. There are some match-ups where I love using Ivysaur (DK, Bowser, and some other bigger characters), but if we don't acknowledge our weaknesses, we're going to be beat.

Don't lose that passion!
Very true, and I totaly understand that. I got dropped by my friends Fox using Ivysaur today. No way in hell I could catch up, but I started to understand my distances vs. his and took advantage of the last stock. I didn't win but I know what I should be doing now. The next time I play him, I'll be ready to space like a mofo. :D

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I cant believed you called Ivysaur a Girl o.O
I can't believe your SmashBoards name is "pkmntrainer."

That being said, when I hear the Japanese voice for Ivysaur, it makes me identify Ivysaur as a girl.

-That- being said, is it really that weird?

Top Bottom