• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Professor's Notes - A Guide to Being Super Effective With Pokémon Trainer

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Yea toby youd be surprised how the knock back is honestly just enough at percentages past about 60 or 70 I believe to get this to happen but honestly this I wanna keep on the DL because its not much of a strat but something hidden like this is too good to let everyone know and ruin LOL.

-Mahgnittoc, the prob is man your assuming someone will slip up. As youll find as you post more in this thread people are only really interested at what can happen at the HIGHEST LEVEL OF PLAY. I only cap it to show how much is really based on that level. So like I said if you want to mix it in go ahead, but at the highest level of play something like that is near useless. So not trying to be mean just most people will dismiss it for that reason, just letting you know so you dont have to deal with unnecesary flame posts which unfortunately you will get from posting stuff like this.

Kith

Smash Ace
Agreed. Now that we got that out of the way, we really should discuss bullet-seed to f-smash :-D

T-block

B2B TST
lol there's not much to discuss... it'll doesn't work very often >_>

bullet seed to shieldgrab works more...people seem to be unable to resist trying to hit ivysaur with their f-air after they get out of the stream

CoonTail

Smash Lord
I use to love bulletseed to f-smash and its funny because I also use to love D-throw to Vine whip

Lol see where Im going here kith

Kith

Smash Ace
For those who didn't catch the sarcasm, it's there. You just gotta look a little harder :-P

Kith

Smash Ace
Lmao sorry next time I'll include the </sarcasm> at the end of the post. But yeah of they're looking to punish, shield grabbing is what I do most...unless they're big. Then I shield...bullet seed lol

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
Yea toby youd be surprised how the knock back is honestly just enough at percentages past about 60 or 70 I believe to get this to happen but honestly this I wanna keep on the DL because its not much of a strat but something hidden like this is too good to let everyone know and ruin LOL.

-Mahgnittoc, the prob is man your assuming someone will slip up. As youll find as you post more in this thread people are only really interested at what can happen at the HIGHEST LEVEL OF PLAY. I only cap it to show how much is really based on that level. So like I said if you want to mix it in go ahead, but at the highest level of play something like that is near useless. So not trying to be mean just most people will dismiss it for that reason, just letting you know so you dont have to deal with unnecesary flame posts which unfortunately you will get from posting stuff like this.
Like you said, you're not trying to be mean so we can drop it.

I second PT, so I don't really use him in tournaments unless i absolutely know its going to work so I'm just interested in everything known about him and stuff

dre_89_

Smash Cadet
The guide talks up Ivy abit and makes him seem decent, should we actually use him or just switch out every time?

T-block

B2B TST
That's a very general question =\

It's true he's the worst of the three, but it really depends on your opponent's character, the stage, what percents you're both at, your own skill level, etc. Part of the challenge to playing PT is considering all of these things and making the call.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
It's true. I never start with Ivy but I use him in my Squirtle-Ivy Battery which is pretty strong once I gain my momentum. I go berserk with Squirtle like I usually do then whip out Ivy with a whole different momentum but still having a good one to make the stock count and things roll. However I Typh is one of the only ones around here that starts with Ivysaur and I'm sure he has his on way of switching and fighting.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
do you know what's sad

i went into training mode to practice my chaingrabs

and instead of picking ice climbers i picked pokemon trainer just by habit and didn't even realize it

so the game started and an ivysaur came out

and i was like

oh. oh man.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
typh playing ic's?

imo you should play wario, at least on the side. he's really similar to squirtle, and we all love squirtle.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Typh has gone over to the dark side and is maining a character that is designed to be the cheapest character in Brawl. Not the best, but the cheapest. I mean, come on, infinites on everybody?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i believe wario makes more sense. instead of being the character most susceptible to clock camping, you become the character that abuses clock camping the best. :)

dre_89_

Smash Cadet
So should I actually bother train my Ivysaur? I know Toby doesn't use him, but do other good players use him or just switch him out, because I'm not the best PT out there but I'm relatively comfortable using Ivy and I wanted to incorporate him into my game, but I don't want to if it's going to be a hindrance and a waste of time.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
Well you definately shouldnt just neglate ivysuar, you should open all your options

Besides ivy is a pretty one dimensional character and the easiest to learn imo

dre_89_

Smash Cadet
Ok yeah I undertsand that but in a tournament would a good player ever use him for an entire stock? Or would he just switch out? I'm sorry I'm being annoying now I just haven't got a definitive answer lol.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
I hardly ever use him for the entire stock, but its important to know when it is safe to switch and how to build up damage with ivy so it will be safe to swtich

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
Personally, I love Ivysaur and use him most of the time for the entire stock. I've played some pretty solid online people and can take out at least a stock with Ivysaur. I start with Ivy and have charizard to switch to so I can have more kill power. Then when he dies Squirt ***** and if he can't finish I then have Ivysaur to repeat the chain.

Find your best, but don't neglect the rest. If you're gonna play just 1 pokemon go play that horrible game B+

Toby.

Smash Master
Well actually I use Ivysaur as much as the matchup will allow. If its against marth I won't use ivysaur at all. If it's against DK I have more leeway. If its against someone like ness I'll use ivysaur for a whole stock. It really depends on the matchup ;)

Although in most matchups it is largely beneficial to skip ivysaur in order to get back to squirtle for the last stock.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
From what I've drawn for the conversation. Start with squirtle and then work with Ivysaur as much as th match up calls then get back to Squirt.

But I love Ivysaur too much to listen to logic.

T-block

B2B TST
i honestly do believe ivy does better than squirtle against ganon though =P not sure between ivy and zard yet, but at the moment i'm leaning towards ivy being the best in the matchup

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Interesting. In my matches with PX's Ganondorf, I've always found Squirtle to be the best by far.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
charizard gets kind of ***** if he gets a forward b on you

it's like snake but ganondorf has way inferior options

Top Bottom