• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Professor's Notes - A Guide to Being Super Effective With Pokémon Trainer

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811

Steeler's Ivysaur is obviously a Ditto in disguise.

T-block, I'm gonna hold you to it!

CoonTail

Smash Lord
My ivy is a dude just like all of my pokemon.......sorry to say when it comes to pokemon Im the biggest sexist youll ever meet.

Female pokemon need to get back in the day care center and do their job......giving me a 31 IV in every stat males hahaha

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
none of my pokemon are female

because if they were, they wouldn't be battling, they'd be in the kitchen making me some damn food

KREVA

Smash Cadet
I'm not necessarily new to the Smash Boards. I barely post but I've been playing Brawl since day 1 (also played Melee since day1). I've been a Wario main but I got incredibly bored with him since I've been playing him since release. I've been looking for a new character to play and I noticed no one really plays Pokemon Trainer.

SOOOOOOO.... here I am! Looking at the PT threads, hoping to increase my knowledge on how to play this versatile character. Hopefully things will go well and my skills with this character will be "Super Effective". This is a good guide and now all I have to read up on is the match-ups!

T-block

B2B TST
Welcome to the boards, KREVA. Feel free to ask questions whenever.

Our matchup data is outdated though... we are currently starting rediscussions.

Slithe

Smash Apprentice
I was just wondering. I apologize if this should go in the Q+A thread, but I found a particular combo with Ivysaur and I don't know if it's been posted already. The combo involves using a SH (maybe FF) Neutral Air followed up by a Neutral B and then landing and Up Air or Up Smash. I was wondering what your opinions were on this combo.

hurricanehans

Smash Rookie
I was just wondering. I apologize if this should go in the Q+A thread, but I found a particular combo with Ivysaur and I don't know if it's been posted already. The combo involves using a SH (maybe FF) Neutral Air followed up by a Neutral B and then landing and Up Air or Up Smash. I was wondering what your opinions were on this combo.
Could you be a little more specific? Like what percent this works best at/if you should start with them on the ground or air/how long to bullet seed? I messed around with this in practice but it seemed like following Nair with bullet seed didn't flow too nicely. Again with bullet seed to upsmash or Uair it just seemed way to easy to DI out of.

T-block

B2B TST
Unfortunately, none of those moves actually chain into each other very well. N-air to Bullet Seed might work, although my experience has been they tend to fly sideways and not get caught in the stream. I've always preferred to u-tilt instead - it's much more likely to connect, and puts the opponent exactly where Ivysaur wants them. As for Bullet Seed to u-air/u-smash, it can work, but it's dependent on a read. Any follow-up from Bullet Seed will only work off a read, so feel free to try it, but make sure you're thinking about whether you really want to try it, and keep the rest of your options (shieldgrab, f-smash, Bullet Seed again, to name a few) in mind.

Slithe

Smash Apprentice
Could you be a little more specific? Like what percent this works best at/if you should start with them on the ground or air/how long to bullet seed? I messed around with this in practice but it seemed like following Nair with bullet seed didn't flow too nicely. Again with bullet seed to upsmash or Uair it just seemed way to easy to DI out of.
From 0% when opponent is on the ground.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Great guide. I'm considering learning Pokemon Trainer and this made the characters easy to start practicing.

Saixthewerewolf

Smash Rookie
This was a great guide.... I'm a Wolf for a main but was thinkig about PT as a secondary main. I am suprised you didn't put in anything about Charizards glide though

CoonTail

Smash Lord
There really is not much to Zard's glide...it's blantantly the worst one in the game....you can start up from 3 different positions based on the direction you hold....Lastly the glide attack last I remember is his entire body.

Thats all for glide attack

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Glide Attack is a kill move though. People tend to underestimate it a lot. Learn to space it for the rare times when it's useful.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
the best follow up to a zard glide is a hearty chuckle. yes, it's better than glide attack.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I really don't remember if this has very been brought up but everyone here knows Squirtle can do a dash attack after breaking right? I remember back in the day when I was learning hydroplaning I would go through the shellshifting motions and sometimes when I'd move my analog stick to break, at the right time, I could use dash attack. IT was pretty cool. I did it the other day by mistake when practicing. It's been so long since I've do it, I forgot really specifically how to do it or explain it any better. At best all I can really say is run in one direction tilt the analog in the opposite direction to break and the slam it back in the original direction and hit A. Basically you will see squirtle stop running, stand for a frame and then jump into his dash attack.

Sorry if this description sucks. I'm better at showing than telling but showing it via webcam hasn't always worked out the best for me. :(

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Yes, you're right, and cancelling your pivot animation with a F-Tilt works too.

I love Squirtle's dash attack by the way :p

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Yes, you're right, and cancelling your pivot animation with a F-Tilt works too.

I love Squirtle's dash attack by the way :p
I really don't know what use using a Dash canceled dash attack would be, but maybe mind games? :O

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I am going to combine useful stuff from multiple threads to add to this. I'll give credit to Card for his damage data and move screenshots, and I'll give credit to Shaya for his frame data.

EDIT: Fixed some spacing, and added Card's pictures and some frame data information for Squirtle's entire moveset and Ivysaur's Jab EVERYTHING. Changed every è to é. Took out the dash in the title ("Super Effective" is accurate). Formatting is much nicer. Time to legitimately update the information itself.

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
I love PT, and this is a great guide. I learned a good amount, but I do have one very serious concern...are you SURE that Squirtle's Up-B is Waterfall and not Surf?!?!?!? cmon, man. look at him ride that wave!! Also I always thought that Zard's Up-B was Fire-Spin but Fly makes sense.

Seriously though, I consider PT to be one of my stronger secondaries but I never put any work into him. I think that this guide showed me a lot of easily implementable moves that I'll be sure to put to use. That link to the "Zero-switching" vid was a godsend. I feel like a noob for never hearing about it. Reading well-made guides like this always makes me want to run to my Wii and practice, too bad I'm at work right now X(

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I love PT, and this is a great guide. I learned a good amount, but I do have one very serious concern...are you SURE that Squirtle's Up-B is Waterfall and not Surf?!?!?!? cmon, man. look at him ride that wave!! Also I always thought that Zard's Up-B was Fire-Spin but Fly makes sense.

Seriously though, I consider PT to be one of my stronger secondaries but I never put any work into him. I think that this guide showed me a lot of easily implementable moves that I'll be sure to put to use. That link to the "Zero-switching" vid was a godsend. I feel like a noob for never hearing about it. Reading well-made guides like this always makes me want to run to my Wii and practice, too bad I'm at work right now X(
Take it up with Sakurai.

Also, I'm glad that it was helpful. That's what it means to do, and that's what I wrote it for! :)

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Nah it's deffinitly waterfall since you can match this animation almost 100% to the waterfall animation in the new pokemon games.

If it were surf he would stand on the wave and it would crash down, you can tell it's waterfall because squirtle looks like he is climbing during the animation and the Up-B never actually "Crashes down" as surf does.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Oh, man--I'm going between reading Wuthering Heights and legitimately adding information on moves to a Word document. I'll let you know when I post some of the changes to the OP. Get hype. :bee:

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
Oh, man--I'm going between reading Wuthering Heights and legitimately adding information on moves to a Word document. I'll let you know when I post some of the changes to the OP. Get hype. :bee:
I hated that novel. Sparknote it and get the Word doc done instead XD #priorities

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Thanks for the guide! I'll be using it more and more...

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
Wow nice job! Must have taken you a LONG time to write this thread!

Top Bottom