• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro Impact BI-WEEKLIES - Calgary, AB

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
Provided I'm still living in Calgary at the time of the tourney, I would gladly volunteer.

I could help with housing people, organisation during the tourney itself, finacial needs, driving people around town, etc.
I even have experience soliciating businesses for sponsorships and donations of prizes.

Bascialy, whatever is needed to make this event a resounding sucesses.

Back when Smash64 was still popular, I ran a 24-man tourney where every last person, not matter how poorly they did, got a prize at the end. Everyone left happy, and I hope the same will happen at this one.

Perhaps it's time to make a thread so we can start kicking some serious ideas around?

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Frustration Ventilation & Air Conditioning

AAAHGHGHGHAHGH!!!!!!!!!

You know why the ProImpact.ca roster isn't back up yet?

Because incompetent people run web servers and domain hosting!!

I've been trying to get some decent customer service out of www.canadianwebhosting.com for MONTHS now! MONTH!SS!!!!

Usually, I try and open their live chat support thing (you know, the one that says LIVE SUPPORT ONLINE NOW) when I am greeted with a popup window that says:

Please select the department you would like to reach:

Sales Support (offline)
Billing Support (offline)
Hosting Support (offline)

..wtf??

Sometimes one of them is online and I'll go and ask some question and I am greeted with this:

Please hold while we contact a representative. If he/she does not respond in a few seconds, then he/she is not available at this time.

...WTF????

So I'm supposed to just sit here and wait and see if someone shows up, even though you've been advertised as "online" both in brackets, not to mention on the main page with the pretty graphic that says LIVE SUPPORT ONLINE NOW all the time, regardless of whether or not there's anybody there. It is blatantly false advertising.

Alright, so check this out, I actually get to talk to somebody for a change:

Randall Morrison: Hello, I'm attempting to work around a number of issues I've been having with MySQL databases at www.et-cet-era.ca. I need to copy an existing database to a new name, however the cPanel interface does not allow that action. I am able to do it through PHPMyAdmin, however when I try to, it tells me that I do not have the required permissions. I was told last time that PHPMyAdmin's functionality is limited, but is there any way that I can use it as an administrator to at least make some changes?

Welcome Randall Morrison! Please hold while we contact a representative. If a representative does not respond in a few seconds, then he/she is not available at this time.

You are now speaking with Fabin of Hosting Support.

Fabin: hello..ca u please open a ticket on the issue...also send details of database with his...

Randall Morrison: No thanks, I don't exactly have a lot of positive experiences with opening tickets.

Fabin: okay...then please let us know the database details .. we will try to replicate and solve issue..

Randall Morrison: What do you mean by "database details"?

Fabin: i mean the database name

Randall Morrison: The database name is "randall0_wikidb". The only database user is "randall0_etc".

Fabin: okies.. please hold on.. let me check... :)

Randall Morrison: Righto, thanks.

Fabin: can i know the user password

Randall Morrison: Yep. Should be: ******.

- Your party has left this session. -

Randall Morrison: Wow, really...?
....W....T.....F..????!?!?

I mean, never mind the fact that the guy is supposed to be a customer service rep but he types like Brad. The service industry is no place to be trying to give people instructions in the language of an internet ******; there's money involved here! Wasted money.

However, I am a patient person and a persistent one at that, so I tried again. Incidentally, this isn't the first time this has happened, but usually the guy on the other end reads my question, knows that he can't understand it or help me fix the problem and then just rudely disconnects, blaming the rejection of my inquiry on "connectivity issues."

See:
Randall: I get awfully tired of being given incomplete information after ten minutes only to be disconnected from your live chat service before I can even ask for clarification.
Web Hosting Douchebags: Hi,
It looks like there was an interruption in connectivity that caused our online support to lose their connection.
Kevin, Customer Support

But again, I wasn't done with Fabin today. This "Kevin" guy has been considerably more helpful than the entire service staff put together, but that's not to say I've made much progress.

Randall Morrison: I was just speaking with Fabin and was disconnected. Presumably by accident.
Fabin: hello...
Randall Morrison: Welcome back. Connection problems?
Fabin: yeah... :(

Awwww, he put a little sad :( face....how cute....

Then he didn't say anything for about five minutes and was disconnected again. Followed by:

Randall Morrison: Disconnected again...?
Fabin: hello...
Randall Morrison: Hey. Another interruption in connectivity I see.
Fabin: yeah. sorry bout that. :(

AAAAHAHAHGHHG!!!

So anyway, yeah, it'll be up eventually, but I gotta get me a whole new web server, because it's difficult to accomplish anything on a serious scale when the people distributing your information can't tie their own shoes.

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
Carl <Smash at my place today> says (10:05 PM):
so i dont think they'll stop in calgary

They is refering to the Alaskans, should we still give them a call?

kithkin

Smash Champion
I lost a bet as to how quickly Liz could beat gold.

Nice triple post by the way, it actually worked out not gay.

LEVI GET OVER HERE AND ANSWER YOUR PHONE.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
lol randall that sucks so hard

I think someone just created a webhosting service and left the rights to 2 random roommates (fabin and kevin).

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Pro Impact BI-WEEKLY Smash XVII - 7-15-07

Pro Impact BI-WEEKLY Smash XVII

We will be hosting our seventeeth bi-weekly Smash session on Sunday, July 15th, 2007.
"Is Texas not part of the Midwest? If not, then it's news to me."
Phatgamer1, The Best Link Player, 2004
For review:

Entry Fee: $5.00

Date: Sunday, July 15th, 2007

Time: 1:00 PM

Place: #1, 103 Huntington Prk Grn NW

Contact No.: 403-869-3971

We hope to have everyone here for about 1:00 in the afternoon which should give us enough of a morning to prepare for the arrivals. As it is in my nature to be a hospitable host, I will do my best to ensure that no smasher goes dehydrated, however thanks to continued contributions to the Pro Impact Treasury, most of the gratitude for the refreshments is owed back to the players. Additionally, we typically have a variety of deliciously hedonistic snack foods available for all those who attend, too!

Now that I've sold you on the free food, I'd best explain the rest. The $5.00 entry fee you pay to enter the tournament grants you both passage into our house for a day as well as a position in the double elimination bracket for SSBM Singles; the Doubles tournament is free and tends to be less competitive anyway. The winner of the Singles tournament takes home half the pot comprised of all the entry fees and the other half goes towards the aforementioned Pro Impact Treasury, the fund that keeps ProImpact.ca and the bi-weeklies themselves financially afloat.

The entry fee is purposefully kept quite low and with a 16-player tournament, the winning pot is still only $40.00, which is hopefully enough to keep it competitive while still maintaining a casual and friendly environment. It is important that the tournament is accessible by everyone and that the cost is low enough that a brand new player won't be discouraged from coming based on the pretense that they have to win.

The telephone number above rings straight to my cell phone from a Calgary area code and I accept calls 24 hours a day...even from total strangers...so if you find yourself having nightmares at 4 in the morning and waking up in a cold sweat because you're not sure whether or not you can counterpick Rainbow Cruise at the next bi-weekly, have no fear! Just give me a ring and I'll roll haphazardly out of bed to answer your call. Maybe.

We would like to know who is attending before 1:00 actually rolls around as well, just in case we end up trying to seat 35 people who didn't sign up in one 3-bedroom home. So, if you would like to attend, please post here!

There will be a 16 player cap on this event and I will post the names of the confirmed and unconfirmed attendees below. If you find that all of a sudden it's Sunday and the bi-weekly starts in half an hour but you're still on the "unconfirmed" list, don't even worry about it. Unless we already have 16 confirmed players and another 6 on the waiting list before you, I'm sure we can find space. The player cap can stretch a little bit in either direction to best accomodate each tournament if necessary.

If there's nothing else, we'll see you all when you get here!

CONFIRMED
  • RJM - (Randall)
  • Nitrocidal - (Alex)
  • Fox Machine - (Gary)
  • DJT - (Jeremy)
  • quickysilver - (Kevin)
  • M - (Allan)
  • mikeymoo - (Mike)
  • Kithkin - (Brad)
  • MICH - (Mitch)
  • =] - (Levi)
UNCONFIRMED
  • Pawl - (Paul)
  • xlonesoulx - (David)
  • Valdemar - (Dean)
  • xpiritflare - (John)
  • JIN - (Chris)
  • Neat - (Riley)
  • PKT - (Preston)
  • No Limitz - (Leslie)
  • BlueBlueGlassMoon - (Jesse)
  • pibbers - (Alex)
  • Infil - (Ricky)
  • BackItch - (Chad)
  • Koda - (Kevin)
  • Steve - (Steve)

kithkin

Smash Champion
Well alex isnt either, he gets rides from us.

I was just asking who I'm getting a ride from one way, assuming as always my dads doing the way back.

edit: besides, if stevos coming, I HAVE to be there.

Fox Machine

Smash Journeyman
DJT and I should be able to make it.
And perhaps a couple of newcomers....

Hope you're able to come Stevo, we had a blast with Sid here.

mikeymoo

Smash Rookie
I called your phone and left a message.

Call me back anyway

Mike L. Confirm me. =D

EDIT: Mike D and Bryce are busy.

I'm gonna get trounced.

mikeymoo

Smash Rookie
We're from Calgary... dunno. Kevin's friend told him who told me, yada yada yada.

Always been looking for a "pro" scene personally, thought we had the only "crew" in Alberta or so- never really seen anything on Smashboards. Always lurked, never registered.

Any obscure matchups I should practice?

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Excellent, do you gentlemen have a competitive "gamer alias" of sorts that you would like to compete under or, would you prefer to be known as Kevin, Mike D, Mike L, etc....?

As to obscure match-ups, we have a Kirby main, a Pikachu main, an Ice Climbers main and myself, a Luigi. But to be honest, what I've learned from playing with a lot of different people is that practicing a matchup against a character isn't much good if you don't get to practice against the player in control of that character. Despite plenty of experience with the match-up, I lost to an Ice Climbers player in Toronto who simply wasn't that good because his habits were completely different than what I'm used to. The game has too many variables, but that's what keeps it alive! :)

Also, whenever someone new comes into the fold, I seem to hear this "never really seen anything on Smashboards" from everybody...obviously, this is because the board is just way too big and shoddily organized which makes it impossible for people to find anything if they intend to do more than just browse. But hey, that's what we've got www.proimpact.ca !! Maybe I should post flyers.

mikeymoo

Smash Rookie
Hopefully kevin sees this and posts.

Feel free to put me under "mikeymoo".

I think it's because you guys do this biweekly, and I stopped lurking here a long time ago. The character specific boards got annoying with "Rate me plz" threads.

It's unfortunate about 4 people from our crew are busy =/.

I dunno, mixed emotions about flyers; you might attract a lot of noobs. FFA, items, non-neutral stages, you catch the drift.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Unfortunately, that's going to happen anyway with the release of Brawl, but FFA and items are all things that are entirely in my control and if the tournament parameters are up to me, they will stay competitive. I'm always in favour of teaching people the metagame and welcome noobs of all shapes and sizes. :cool:

xpiritflare

Smash Apprentice
Levi, I'm checking my schedule for next week either today or tomorrow. I will let you know which days I have off, if you could possibly host smash on one of those days, I'll greatly appreciate it.

I really want to play a bunch of you guys again, plus I haven't touched smash since the last time I was at Levi's so I should be playing because then I'll suck x)

Top Bottom