• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro Impact BI-WEEKLIES - Calgary, AB

Ermine

Smash Ace
I wonder if we should end our discussion about Brawl because I have heard sometimes people get mad at each other about it X_X...

PS: I only care about the Pokemon added in Brawl and I want Lucario and Mew =D

PPS: END! =D

kithkin

Smash Champion
haha you tell us to end it, then you bring up the most likly comment to bring arguement or anger.

who should be in it. and most of all, more pokemon, theres probably 500 or so at this point eligable. not to mention i'd say only 1st or second gen should be added if any.

Ermine

Smash Ace
Heres my list XD and there are soooooooo many things I could say about which Pokemon I think should be in Brawl but I REALLY don't want to start an argument X_X...

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Mew
Lucario

kithkin

Smash Champion
well i wont disagree with you statement, cause i think brawl character choices already are stupid.

but i will point that would would be a very odd moveset, and nobody who isnt a good pokemon fan knows who lucario is (an assumption forgive me if i'm wrong) not to mention hes too outright different too be included i'd think.

but who knows. nintendo did put up a suggestion thread. not to mention i participated in the camp hyrule chat with NOA Taylor where we decided on one of the new characters for them to suggest (Metaknight, although pit was also in the discussion)

Infil

Smash Journeyman
I have tons of theories on my own characters; none of them are obscure, all of them are reasonably popular and all of them I think would be good additions to the game. But people like to speculate and go wild with their imaginations, and so we're left with the utter tripe we see in the Brawl Character Discussion thread. It's a good thing Nintendo doesn't listen to EVERYONE who has an idea. :)

Melee's roster is awesome, and the new additions we know of for Brawl are very cool already. I think we can trust Nintendo to come up with an incredible final roster, including some surprises none of us likely thought of (who would have imagined Game & Watch?). I'm also 100% sure the final roster would be finalized at this point (edit: if they're going to make a year-end release, of course. If they already know they're going to get another 6 months, they'll probably use the time to do a bit more with the roster).

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
... cause i think brawl character choices already are stupid.
Pardon me? You think Pit is a stupid choice? Solid Snake? Metaknight?... You might wanna explain yourself. If any Nintendo character deserves the spotlight again, it's Pit. I defy you to find a Nintendo IP more popular and fitting than Kid Icarus that hasn't been revived yet.

Here's an interesting bit of Smash history:

Before Melee was released, there was tonnes of wild speculation on who would be in it, much like you see today. There was many posts on the IGN boards by people who claimed to have an inside source, and uncle who works on the game, etc...
They said Sonic would be in. They said Pit would be in. The list goes on. Now we know they where wrong.

But what's interesting is that there was one guy who really DID have an inside source. He was very tight-lipped about the whole thing, and didn't want to give too much away. He claimed he didn't want to ruin the surprise for everyone.

As the release date got closer, he started to leakout names. He started with obvious ones that most people already guessed. Peach... Bowser...
But as release got closer, he started to post some of the more obscure ones. Falco... Ganondorf...

And with about a month to go before release, he posted the whole list.

Nobody had to guess if he was making it up, anymore. Everyone was now SURE he was lying.

"Dr. Mario? Roy? Marth? Nintendo would NEVER put them in! Nobody even knows who the last two guys are! You're a liar! How would Dr. Mario be any different than Mario? Why not just a costume change? We call B.S.!"

He calmly bowed out and said we'll find out who's right when the game is released...

And we all know how the rest goes...

The moral of the story: Expect the unexpeted and don't count anyone out 'till the release.
It still shocks me that Nintedo was able to keep the character list a secret untill the end. But would we believe them if they told us? o.O

kithkin

Smash Champion
haha yeah.

Myself for brawl!

also I think the smily emoticon should be in it. his f-air could be laugh. it would own.

edit: Haruhi for brawl? Its more likly than you think. (just to piss levi off, and because Haruhi is awesome)

kithkin

Smash Champion
kay done brawl but have to explain cause of chad i didnt read.

yeah pit and MK are awesome, but i was more refering to snake, and only snake, i just disagree with it. but no discussion why, it makes no sense (my explanation).. and i guess wario's weird, but that is just cause the wario waft is like wtf? (hint: waluigi?)

hahaha.

edit: yes chad i think solid snake is a horrible choice, if you want a direct answer.

LeeWanderer

Smash Cadet
Hey Pro Impact people, this is Lee from the Lethbridge Smash group again. There's just over a week until Round Two starts, and I wanted to remind you that I'm offering to house anyone who wants to come down and play. A couple of people have confirmed with me that they're coming, but I still have space left at my place to put you up.

If you'd like to come, please email me at lethbridgesmash@hotmail.com and let me know the following.

Your name:
Your forum handle:
Are you staying at my place?:
Doubles or Singles?:
If Doubles, who's your partner?:
What's your team name:

If you'd like, you can add me on MSN: lee_wanderer@hotmail.com. I hope you guys can make time to come down!

Levi, your Air Bud suggestion is the funniest thing I've read in awhile. #Chan it.

kithkin

Smash Champion
once i talk to my parents and talk to chad, i may be able to fill that spot.

aswell as, what the... suggesting to chan something... guh

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
I shouldn't, becuase then people would know that I'm a /b/tard

I put the Aidz in BandAidz, but I doubt I can make it anyways, it's Riley's birthday celebration day.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Pro Impact BI-WEEKLY Smash #11 - RESULTS

SINGLES

1: xpiritflare
2: Kithkin
3: BackItch
4: MICH
5: Koda
5: M
6: Hehe
6: =]
7: Zero
7: Bizzareo
7: RJM
7: Nitrocidal
8: Richard
8: Myth
9: NEAT

Highlight reel currently in production...!
(YouTube)

Apologies for the slight delay and the highly unprofessional and anti-Pro Impact oversized results image!

----

i said i had a good show, i'm proud of myself, and its mostly luck, and actuallt the things i'm proud about the most is single matches like against stu and shawn.
Kithkin's performance at the eleventh bi-weekly was enough to turn some heads and make us all question why we seemed to have such a hard time beating such a technically novice player. :) You did excellent, beating everyone you played at least once and I will admit outright that I didn't count on having you in the upper ranks of a tournament for a loooong time. Thus, I was forced to actually divert my attention to your playstyle and discover that there are a lot of basic things you do a lot better than most players. Like struggling out of grabs; you're much quicker on that than most! I'll be paying closer attention next time around.

The visual section of your cortex must be a raging storm of electrical activity! I think it would be a worthy endevor to moniter the brain activity of someone like yourself playing Smash, and the brain activity of a noob or mediocre-joe playing Smash.

Use our tax dollars for something useful, 'ya know?!
OR we could fund the study on Pro Impact Fund dollars!

Wait, that's silly, the government would probably give us a grant.

i could feel the lag at the character selection screen. then after i actually got into the battle i didn't really notice it.
Most people, who dont regularly play on HDTV should notice the lag. I mean we are playing competitively, so frames count (although Randall said that with the new component cables, it is reduced to just 5 frames, which may or may not be noticeable). Guys like Randall and Mich, who regularly play on the HD set, play just as well on a conventional TV.
What with all the discussion, I did the test myself between my TV in my bedroom and the HD one upstairs with Fox drillshine combos in training mode. The difference is subtle, but it is there and I can understand how it would be more difficult to play such a responsive character with even a slight lag in the image. That said, it certainly wasn't impossibly difficult but I did have to consciously delay the L-cancel a smidge in order for the combos to register. Your notion of "guys like Randall and Mich play just as well on a conventional TV" plants an interesting seed of doubt in my game and I can't help but think that maybe, just maybe, it does cripple me a little to play on a regular TV. I've played for more Smash on normal TVs, but the only real heavy training of the metagame has happened on the HDTV, so there may be no way of knowing for sure. The best solution for me is to just not worry about it, train a little on both TVs and see if I can't subconsciously adapt when I plug in for a match. For those of you who don't have HDTVs (or time), this obviously won't work to curb the lag problem. In the end, both players are playing with the same disadvantage, just as if both players were playing while hanging upside down; the better player will still win in most cases and a few frames of lag will not make or break the outcome of the match.

Another thing I noticed is that my Yoshi is WAY better than I thought he was... Maybe I should make him into a 3rd main but maybe I should not X_X...
Yoshi's a very challenging character and none of us play against him too often. I hope you'll come to some future tournaments regardless of which character you choose, though, you played very well! And different from the others too; adding a little variety to the competition is, as we know, the best way to continue strengthening everyone's overall skill.

You just need to put your shield up in certain situations.
This above all things is perhaps the truest statement ever uttered in our thread. ;)

xpiritflare

Smash Apprentice
6: Hehe
6: =]
7: Zero
7: Bizzareo
7: RJM
7: Nitrocidal
8: Richard
8: Myth
9: NEAT
Shouldn't the numbering be:

7: Hehe
7: =]
9: Zero
9: Bizzareo
9: RJM
9: Nitrocidal
13: Richard
13: Myth
15: NEAT

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Shouldn't it be:

2: Kithkin...
No, I've never understood why tournament results tend to be produced that way, but I wish someone could shed the light on it and tell me if there is actually a good reason.

Logically, those results leave the average viewer with more questions (particularly "uhh...what happened to 8th place") whereas if two people are clearly tied for 5th place, and two people were eliminated in the round beforehand without any other eliminations in between, it only makes sense that they too should be awarded with the 6th highest rank available. Especially if it's completely unoccupied. It's like telling two last place finishing teams in a basketball league that they tied for 12,305th place when there's only 30 teams. That ain't fair! :)

Besides, tio exported Riley's result as 17th, a full four ranks below the next-lowest finishing competitor. By the end of the tourney, there wasn't even 17 people!

Hopefully we'll have time to break the ties anyway and any major smash events that we host will certainly take into account tie breaks when working on the pre-planning and time management. That way we can have proper ranks. This whole weekend was a little too heavy on the smash to have everything running with Pro Impact smoothness, I'm afraid. :cool:

Fox Machine

Smash Journeyman
Huge! Randall, that bracket could not fit on my puny 17" monitor.
I'm wondering tho, how come there were so many bye's? Seems like everyone got a bye, and even byes playing byes, in which case both byes won. Couldnt everyone have just played everyone else instead of a bye?

Ah more lag talk. So you find that you have to adjust your timing when playing on a normal screen? That's just great >< But for sure everyone has better reaction times on a normal TV. I often get owned by wavesmashes on HDTV, simply because the lag frames are taken out of the time I have to react. Hopefully, Brawl will be fully HDTV compatible.

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
I think the reason for all the "bye"s was that we had just one or two people more than a full set of brackets without any "bye"s at all. So tonnes of "bye"s there...
Then, some people left early and had to be removed from the brackets, and removing them made the software show them as "bye"s. So more "bye"s still...

And yah.. The horizonal-scroll on this page is fubar. ^^

As for HDTVs, I figure Brawl is going to be just as compatible as Melee is. Both the Wii and the Cube display 480p as thier highest resolution, so it"s the same situation. I think if Randall got some component cables, that`ll help a bit. However, from the little reseach I`ve done, it seems any LCD screen processes the image at least a little. :(

(Darn apostrophes don`t seem to be working!)

Fox Machine

Smash Journeyman
Well if you look at the first round, the only people not having a bye is NEAT vs M, and two matches were Bye vs Bye. So if you just exchanged NEAT or M with one of the Byes in a Bye vs Bye match, everyone would have had a bye in the first round, making the first round pointless and eliminating all but one of the Byes.

Hmm, I have component cables. I thought Randall had them too.

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
It makes sence, I assure you.

See, when people left, Randall would remove them. But what he didn't know is that the software goes back into time and removes the person from the time-stream, effectively making it as if they where a 'bye' the whole time. (I'm serious! It does!)

It's strange, yes, but I'm sure Randall had good reason for all those 'bye's.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Remember that while the Cube is capable of outputting 480p, Melee not necessarily be doing it. The games have to be programmed to output 480p signals, or else component cables are no better than composite cables. I'm not sure if this is the case for Melee, but definitely will be the case for Brawl (broadcast in 480p that is).

kithkin

Smash Champion
yeah i think you're right there.

and yeah one guy left before he was out of the whole tournament, cause initially there was 17 people.

Fox Machine

Smash Journeyman
Ah so it all makes sense. 17 exceeds the 16 player limit.

To get progressive scan you're supposed to hold "B" while starting up the cube. I don't think this works with Melee, so its output would not be 480*p*. I dunno if this makes any difference though.

Also on the topic of Brawl, there are some vids on YouTube of people using AR to play Melee online. If you haven't seen them, I'll tell you that they are not pretty. Like Infil said "you" look fine but glitches occur to your opponent due to latency.

On a side note, do any of you have Facebook? I just found Sid on Facebook so I was wondering if any other smashers have it.

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
I can confirm 100% that Melee is a progressive scan game. Not only does the offical Nintendo website says it's progresive scan, I've tested and see the difference myself.

And yes, you hold "B" while starting up.

I think it makes a difference with LCDs, but I don't have one to test on. It makes sence that it would lag more in interlaced mode than progressive, since LCDs are always on and don't really 'scan', so it probably does some kinda processing to the interlaced signal to get it displaying properly. I dunno. I'm not an expert in this field.

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
Not every game does 480p.

From what I understand, it depends on what the developers of the game. It takes more power from the video processor to churn out higher resoultions, and progressive scan is similar. Some games simply can't afford to run in progressive, while others didn't care enough to add the feature.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Pro Impact BI-WEEKLY Smash #12 - Mar. 25, 2007

We will be hosting our twelfth bi-weekly Smash session on Sunday, March 25th, 2007.

"Does anyone know how to bounce projectiles back off your shield? It happened to me once or twice but the CPUs can do it ALL the time."

Fox Machine, Reflecting Projectiles, 2001

For review:

Date: Sunday, March 25th, 2007

Time: 1:00 PM

Place: #1, 103 Huntington Prk Grn NW

Contact No.: 869-3971

We hope to have everyone around for about 1:00 in the afternoon which will give us enough of a Sunday morning to prepare for everything. As it is in my nature to be a good host, I'll try and see to it that the environment is hospitable and no one is ever dehydrated to the best of my ability. However, you might find yourself thanking some of the original participants for that, as they have been kind enough to bring refreshments in the past. :)

The telephone number above rings straight to my cell phone from a Calgary area code and I accept calls 24 hours a day...even from total strangers...so if you find yourself having nightmares at 4 in the morning and waking up in a cold sweat because you're not sure whether you can counterpick Rainbow Cruise at the next bi-weekly or not, have no fear! Just give me a ring and I'll roll haphazardly out of bed to answer your call. Maybe.

We would like to know who is attending before 1:00 actually rolls around too as well just in case we end up trying to seat 35 people who didn't sign up in one 3-bedroom home.

So, if you would like to attend, please post here. There will be a 16 player cap on this event and I will post the names of the confirmed and unconfirmed attendees below. If you find that all of a sudden it's Sunday and the bi-weekly starts in half an hour but you're still on the "unconfirmed" list, don't even worry about it. Unless we already have 16 confirmed players and another 6 on the waiting list before you, I'm sure we can find space.

If there's nothing else, we'll see you all when you get here!

CONFIRMED
  1. RJM
  2. MICH
  3. =]
  4. BackItch
  5. Jesse
  6. pibbers
  7. M
  8. kithkin
  9. Nitrocidal
  10. NEAT

UNCONFIRMED

xpiritflare

Smash Apprentice
"Does anyone know how to bounce projectiles back off your shield? It happened to me once or twice but the CPUs can do it ALL the time."

—Fox Machine, Reflecting Projectiles, 2001
>>>>>XD?

Interesting o_O

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
I had better confirm myself before the tourney gets filled up!

In the past, there was no danger of that happening. Now, it's a distinct possibilty!
Nice quote, btw. ^^

Top Bottom