• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro Impact BI-WEEKLIES - Calgary, AB

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
Does this mean we finaly get to abandon this obese thread and create a newer, leaner version?
You know... one that doesn't have to be lifed out of bed with a crane...

<(o.o)>

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'll make a post with substance. Complex carbohydrates, protien, fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, dude!

Because I care:

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Those are some Pro Impact quality directions. Apparently he's coming from Panorama/Coventry anyway, so they may not be all that useful. We shall see. :)

Ermine

Smash Ace
Uhhhh Now I am confused on how I am getting there tommorow... I don't know if Bizz is picking me up or not or if we are meeting at Dalhousie... I am terrible with directions so I don't wanna try and get there alone... X_X...

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
Terrible with directions? Aww. I made 'ya a nice map with satilite reconisance photos and path overlays. Can I make is less daunting somehow?

Don't forget to set your clocks ahead one hour before you goto bed tonight! Don't wanna see people showing up an hour late. :p

kithkin

Smash Champion
trick is, will randall?!

also, red deer tournament was awesome.

if my game is as good as it was there, you guys are in for a lot of trouble. (I was doing very well)

kithkin

Smash Champion
uhh, marlborough... hmm **** i've forgotten where everything is. crap, i knew like 50 connecting roads to randalls.

but i do know that if you can get to centre street, you're good, then just head to 72nd .

kithkin

Smash Champion
Read the thread people. Its Randall. he is epic.

and yes i played sheik, but i wouldve whether carl told me to or not, its obviously the better choice for me.

and was i satisfactory carl? i beat luis. and a match against shawn.

and i wont get cocky. i said i had a good show, i'm proud of myself, and its mostly luck, and actuallt the things i'm proud about the most is single matches like against stu and shawn.

It felt good.

xpiritflare

Smash Apprentice
You can't be worse than me.
Just keep a eye on the street signs or whatever. I found my way there the first time by myself.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
O_O
Good thing you reminded me!
I second that.

does anyone have any directions to get their on car from like malborough train station?
Yes, take 16th Ave. west and turn north on to Deerfoot Trail. Travel north and exit at westbound 64th Ave. Take 64th Ave. west all the way to 4th St. NW and turn right. Travel north along 4th St. and you will pass a McDonald's. Take your first left after the McDonald's and that road will take you up a small hill. Turn right when you reach 10th St. (There is no left.) Our house is just a few blocks up along the lefthand side of 10th St. in Huntington Prk Grn.

Err...how was that? Late?

Oh whats the person's name of the house we are going to X_X?
The house in fact belongs to all three of us, myself, Chris and Mitch, the Pro Impact Players.

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
Brad does well at a tourney and he gets all cocky and lipy. Yesh. ;)

And Ermine, if you do get lost, Randall does offer his cellphone number. I'm sure you'll make it just fine. Look forward to play'n all of 'ya!

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
I plan on bringing my regular TV and the moniter. The moniter setup is HighDef and compact, but soundless. Should be good tucked into a corner somewhere.

I still like the idea of all the offical matches happening on the ProImpact setup, since the highlight reels are such a big feature.

In the future, I would like to create a setup dedicated to the playing and recording of Smash. A Cube with High-Def hookups going to a VGA splitter, one line going to a dedicated computer designed to record and store matches, the other line going to the large VGA moniter, accompanied by a set of PC speakers.

Ah, it's nice to dream...

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Doubles matches can be played on multiple television sets, as that footage is less valuable in the end. Run with that monitor setup for the third TV then if yer gonna bring it. :) Should be fine, I'll just kinda set up the table to have an offshoot for the mini Progressive Scan action.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Randall, has anyone actually called you at 4 in the morning, or around that time lol?
I think I forgot to answer this question, but no, nobody ever calls me at that time even though I specifically mention it to people that I accept calls 24 hours a day. I think it's because when it's actually 4 AM and you've got a phone in your hand, it's hard for someone to believe that the person you're calling is actually not going to mind if you dial them up. But really, I don't. :)

Infil

Smash Journeyman
High-def setups, particularly the one that Brad mentioned involving splitters, will create intolerable lag, so I'm afraid your setup will have to remain a pipe dream. Heh. When Brawl is released at 480p, which is a more native HD resolution, you can probably look into it. But be warned that any time you introduce splitters or converters, you will create lag, and it will be noticeable by all of us. :(

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
Phooey. Way to ruin my fun, Infil.

Ironic that old Yellow/White/Red connectors on old CRT TV's is still the perfered setup.

What role do nice, high-contrast, huge, wide-screen, high-def, LCD TV's play in a Smashers world? You pay for the best, and get the worst. Hardly seems fair.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Oops, I meant Chad in my message above.

It really is a shame, but HDTVs are really far behind when it comes to games that are not broadcast in a native HD resolution (720p or better). Even 1080i games, a higher resolution than 720p but still an interlaced signal, suffers lag on most HDTVs because they have to upscale (or downscale) the picture.

For any fighting game, music game, FPS, or sports game (such as golf) that requires precise to-the-frame timing, HDTVs are an extremely poor option at the moment (for any console not Xbox360/PS3 and the majority of Wii games). It's because it has to upgrade the 480i signal to an HD resolution, done in hardware, which takes several milliseconds. It isn't just Smash that suffers, it's every game on every console in the PS2 generation and before. It's just that some games, such as RPGs, are more tolerable because timing is less of an issue.

It's the only reason I haven't upgraded to an HDTV at my house yet. I'm not willing to sacrifice on these details.

kithkin

Smash Champion
Great turnout this time guys.

glad to see all the new people.

and a personal grats to koda for doing as well as he did.

And sorry for dragging it on for those who stayed, i had a chance and had to take it.

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
I'm just amazed that some people can notice the milliseconds of lag. I honestly can not tell the difference. Even when I know it's there and I'm actively looking for it, I can't tell.

The visual section of your cortex must be a raging storm of electrical activity! I think it would be a worthy endevor to moniter the brain activity of someone like yourself playing Smash, and the brain activity of a noob or mediocre-joe playing Smash.

Use our tax dollars for something useful, 'ya know?!

kithkin

Smash Champion
haha, i can tell. maybe not as much as them, but i can tell. and honestly? it doesnt effect me, because its so slight, and even then if theres lag the things that happen then happen slightly later... but the same thing happens...

like to prove my point play a incredibly laggy thing, it may reduce quality, but everything that happens works the same.

but oh well, it doesnt effect me at all, so i cant vouch for others.

kithkin

Smash Champion
hahaha, thats cause you have to focus so hard on not screwing up.

they are very close matches.

and i'd assume nobody felt out of place there?

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
iJohn: becuase the game lacks enthusiasm without

Freedom of normal tv for a day, then dragged back into the bowels of lagdor the next. *sigh*

Fox Machine

Smash Journeyman
So how did today's bi-weekly go? I'm curious to know how the new guys did.
And what of this Red Deer tournament? Just how high did you place Brad?

Finally, some others are beginning to notice the lag on the high def monitor. So we Fox players aren't just johnning and we aren't crazy either. ;)
Though if you are playing a technical character, the trick is to realize that the game is still happening at the same speed, only it's a little slow to show up. So if you have it all down in muscle memory, you can still play just fine.
That's why I prefer Falco on the HD screen. I can pillar blindfolded. :)

Top Bottom