• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro Impact BI-WEEKLIES - Calgary, AB

kithkin

Smash Champion
yes you still got a lot of videos up, and you do highlight reels every time. its all good.

and do i need to resay that i accept levi?

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Monthly Highlight Reels....a better idea and always has been?

Losing a lot of work for no reason and being made to do it over again always puts a challenging knot in my creative drive, so thus I've spent the last couple days at work musing over the various things currently on my plate. The most reasonable conclusion I can draw from these musings is that my eyes are indeed bigger than my stomach and this plate could potentially be in danger of housing leftovers in quantities fit for an army if I don't do something about it.

The idea of not doing a highlight reel for this bi-weekly came about as a result of the sudden fizzling out of my creative initiative, however it likely wouldn't have happened if Alex hadn't suggested outright that I perhaps shouldn't be made to do one for every tournament. :cool: However, I hope that it's clear that nobody has ever made me do anything and everything I contribute, I do of my own free will and if I had the time and resources, everyone would get a downloadable copy of all their matches and the highlight reels would be edited and fine-tuned far more intensely than they are now for a true Pro Impact quality experience. That said, it is becoming increasingly evident that I do not have the time and do not have the resources and if I intend to co-administer the whole Central Canada Smash Circuit, even bi-weekly highlight reels (which are a relatively small task relative to the big picture) seem to get a little heavy.

So why not once per month? Rather than numbering them, we'll now have a March Edition, an April Edition, etc...like a magazine issue. And the reason for this isn't just to better even out my time management. I think it would actually be better for us all. For instance, a highlight reel currently takes between 6 and 8 hours to produce on average. But that's a rush. That's taking all the clips out of the footage, adding the music, making sure a few of the transitions fit with the audio, slapping on a couple of dissolves between the frames, toss in the intro video, speed it up by 300%, add two seconds of credits and done.

Now, in this 8-hour window, what I do not have time for is proper analysis of the footage. The majority of the clips are based on what I write down as I see them happen at the actual tournament. The rest I take from matches that I missed live but wanted to see. By doing it this way, I know I'm not getting the best footage, but it certainly seems like everyone in the smash community does and they're always eager to point out how much our videos suck. And let me tell you why.

Because they do suck. We don't have pro players that can sit and record smash matches for an hour or two and then use the footage to make a sick combo video. We're not good enough. But other places do have these kinds of people, so that's what they're gonna see. How does this relate to monthly highlight reels? Fairly intuitively, actually.

By producing one highlight reel a month, it gives me the time to make sure it's a good one for one thing. Plus, we have more footage to draw from so that way only the best of both (or sometimes three) tournaments will make it into the final product. I don't necessarily expect this to change what people have to say about our videos (it would take a divine miracle to do that) but to be honest, I'm a little bit sick of fueling the fire and the less "pointless clips" that I feed them, the better.

Besides, with the upcoming PIC bank and other ProImpact.ca goodies, you'll have plenty of smash-related garbage to sort through between tournaments. :)

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
I really like this idea, as well as the massive post by Randall :D.

It makes a lot of sense, actually. I'm sure a lot of people get a bit stressed when they realize that another highlight reel is coming, so they need to put extra effort into doing cool stuff. A longer time-span before a release would be great to take the pressure off.

And as far as I'm concerned, Randall, you're just as much of an admin as I am to the CCSC, unless you weren't referring to being my co-admin XD.

pibbers

Smash Rookie
As far as I'm concerned - although not knowing the whole process of these productions myself -
you can't be expected to produce these vids for nothing and have to put up with others' demands on deadlines and quality if it's of your own good and free will. Therefore, any decision made by you regarding what happens in the making of these videos can't be criticized unless the player hater is prepared to contribute in production.

I for one have enjoyed seeing all of you guys play thanks to Randall here!

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
Since we are going back in time; may I request a falcon punch in the video? It's not like I do them becuase they're a good move =P.
IT'S RILEY'S BIRTHDAY POST SOME F*CKING RILEY

LeeWanderer

Smash Cadet
Hey guys! Guys! GUYS!!!...come to Lethbridge. :)

The tournament is tomorrow! Four from Calgary are confirmed; Randall, Chris, Mitch and Chad. Only Chad is crashing at my place thus far, so I still have room for a few others if you'd like to come. After the tournament I'm planning on geeking it up and going to TMNT with some friends, and all of ya'll are welcome to come along too. :D

This is my cell number; 403-330-3714. If you get down here and don't know where to go, give me a ring and I'll help you out. I'll be at the University from 10AM on. Until 230PM I'll be in the Students' Union Building on level two working the sign-up table. After that time I'll be upstairs setting up for the tournament. If you want to come hang out beforehand you're certainly welcome to. I want to be as good a host as possible in the hope that this will be the first of many events ya'll come out to down here. Any questions, email or call me. See you tomorrow!

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
I'd go if i could =[. I might host some smash on saturday if 1 or 2 people are interested. It's nothing big, but Alex should be coming by later, and Alex is usually too busy for smash. =:3

kithkin

Smash Champion
yeah i wanna go to lethbridge.

and yeah the monthly reels sound good, cause i usually rememebr the clips i want in in by the week after the bi-weeklie when its usually too late.

edit: daaamnn you randall i'm gonna be late for school because i was reading your post.

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
Spoilers:
He arrived as the warning bell rang, I saw him walking to the doors while i was heading to class.
YOSHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Infil

Smash Journeyman
I might consider playing some Smash this weekend, but I have to use my middle finger for L, which is pretty awkward. As a result, I don't end up playing too well.

DJT88

Smash Cadet
Hey Guys,
Haven't smashed with you guys in a while, and I probably won't for another month:( . But finals should be done by april 23, and then I'll be able to smash anytime! I can't wait to play all these new players I saw on the confirmed/unconfirmed list. Hope to see you guys real soon.
Jeremy
p.s. It's nice to know Gary wasn't always an invincible machine.

LeeWanderer

Smash Cadet
also to those who went. how was lethbridge? did we get any good standings?
No. All your d00ds got knocked out in the first round of both divisions. Man you guys suck.

:) Actually, Randel and Chris took first in the doubles division. The Lethbridge guy who nearly always wins, Paul, took the singles though. Chad did well in both; in the doubles division he got paired with another drop-in and played very well, though I didn't see many of his matches.

Altogether we had 56 people show up, 2 more than last time. We raised $300 for CKXU, and another $300 went towards the prize pot. The biggest surprise was the head organizer of LANsWARm (a 200 person LAN and console party planned for April 11-15 here in Lethbridge) coming out to support the tournament. He brought tons of stuff to give away, including free passes to the LAN. Chris, Chad and Randal each won one, BTW, and I hope they all get to come down.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Hoooo **** some Paul guy took out randall chris and chad!?

what were the finals? what were the brackets? etc?

kithkin

Smash Champion
i'd also like to know. and someone who play'd him's opinion on how good his is. like does eh completely own and rank up with cral?

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
The brackets aren't really going to give you an accurate assessment of the relative skill of Lethbridge anyhow, I don't think. There was the usual confusion with byes being thrown around left and right and one of my opponents mysteriously disappeared. All rounds except for semi-finals and finals were single-game rounds, and anything can happen in one match. My greatest regret was throwing away my final match after a self-destruct because I thought it was a semi-final round and I'd have a chance to redeem myself in game 2. :) Oops.

i'd also like to know. and someone who play'd him's opinion on how good his is. like does eh completely own and rank up with cral?
Lethbridge is an enthusiastic novice community a couple of notches below where Calgary was at when we started hosting tournaments. Were it a longer tournament, I have no doubt that Chad, Chris and myself would have come out on top. In fact, I imagine that waltzing into Lethbridge with all these guys saying "We've got guys from Calgary here today; they're gonna mop the floor with all of us" made us feel a whole lot like Edmonton feels when they come down to Red Deer to stomp on us. :)

But since you asked, I'll put it into perspective and say that anyone from Calgary probably would've done just as well if not better than Chris and I fared. The "Paul" that you're quivering about was a Fox player who knew how to up-throw to u-air, but that's about it. No jump-cancelled shines, hardly any teching A few players were capable of basic wavedashing in combat, but Paul wasn't one of them (assuming that's the person I'm thinking of). In any case, neither Chris or I even played him in singles and I'm not sure what happened in Chad's round but he certainly should've won considering what he is typically capable of doing to Foxes of a higher caliber.

Also, note that it was still a novice tournament and certain things that we normally take for granted required some adaptation. For example, the entire teams tournament was played with friendly fire OFF. Now, although this opens up all kinds of obvious character exploits that could likely guarantee a win, it was actually ultimately a disadvantage for Chris and I. Not only because we would unnecessarily be dodging each other's attacks and playing at a safe and separate distance out of habit, but also because the people in Lethbridge aren't totally naive to the game. As a result, we found our Link/Luigi duo fighting an awful lot of Peach-based teams and the final best of 5 round was against a team of two Marths whose relentless forward smashing and invulnerability to each other's smashes made it very difficult to approach from the ledge.

On two occasions when facing elimination from the teams tournament, the Pro Impact Players managed to save each other's *** in a problematic final stock. Initially Chris ended up getting KO'd early, leaving me to deal with a Marth and a Fox while I was sitting at about 80% or so. By the skin of my teeth I managed to slip and slide my way to a narrow victory in the 2v1. Then, later on (might've even been the finals), Luigi dropped off early, leaving Chris to deal with the same 2v1 scenario and he managed to come out on top against numerical odds. Good times.

LeeWanderer

Smash Cadet
There was the usual confusion with byes being thrown around left and right and one of my opponents mysteriously disappeared. All rounds except for semi-finals and finals were single-game rounds, and anything can happen in one match. My greatest regret was throwing away my final match after a self-destruct because I thought it was a semi-final round and I'd have a chance to redeem myself in game 2. :) Oops.
I'm truly sorry about that. The fellow I put in charge of your station was only there because the guy who actually volunteered to help had to leave.

Next tournament I'm actually going to write out the brackets on poster paper, or a chalkboard or something. That way everything will be nice and clear to all the players and volunteers. I wanted to keep them secret so the local guys wouldn't know who they were playing until the time came, try to keep them on edge.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Haha, no problem, don't even worry about it. This really was my chance to just "scout" out the Lethbridge smash community in my continuing efforts to expand all of Central Canada's smash community, so it would have been worth it regardless of the outcome. ;)

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
Alex here. I'm confirming myself. Levi and Riley are not able to make it, though. Fortunately, their still giving me a ride, and playing in the tournament. Chad might be there too. If not, he'll still be bringing his TV, because I told him to.

Alex said:
It would be epic if he came back from that and they all exploded.

kithkin

Smash Champion
hmmm, levi and riley coming yet not. i get it, they gonna stealth the brackets.

so wait, i'm still getting picked up and getting a ride, and doing rides way back MIRITE?

edit: hay alex wern't you the one who said meta knight was stupid, yet have him as a avatar?

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
Waitasec... I was just over there, and Levi and Riley said they'll make it. I'm confused.

And what do you mean by "Chad MIGHT be there too."? I already confirmed myself, so yah. I'll be there. I don't think I ever said anything that would throw my being there into question.

"Fortunately, they're still giving me a ride and playing in the tournament"
That means Levi and Riley are playing when you say it that way.

Darnit Alex, that was one confusing post.

kithkin

Smash Champion
i got it fine. but he didnt include me, so i wanted to make sure i was still good.

and man i havnt played in forever. still sorry i couldnt come yesterday levi, family issues in the morning, then i was hanging out with my girlfriend for the later one.

O shi-

edit: no, shes not candlejack even though that wou

Top Bottom