• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro High Gravity mode matches here (AWESOME COMBOS)!!

True Fool

Smash Ace
I think you guys are taking this too seriously and too quickly. Most likely the game is balanced to play as is. The speed difference shouldn't be anything to get too upset over either. Every character is proabably balanced to play with the floaty/slowness of the game. Changing either could very likely make the game more unbalanced, maybe even worse than Melee.

Maybe some small group of people who hate the new floatiness will start playing high-gravity Brawl in place of Melee. I personally think it's stupid, but if that's how they want to play it doesn't hurt me to go ahead and let them.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
I wish people would stop saying 'brawl is not melee 2.0'. Play however you want, but I can't imagine most tournaments using high gravity mode.

SGX

Smash Journeyman
because every thread that is not fellating Brawl's floatiness, lack of combos, and ease of recovery turns into "Brawl is not Melee!"

Mama

Smash Ace
"If the reason behind wanting to play on high gravity mode is to have a Melee feel then it fails plain and simple."

There is nothing wrong with experimenting different game play potentials by altering the game's physics.
Playing Brawl with High Gravity, or 1.1 damage = still playing Brawl.
Apparently, competitive level smash will alter small changes just to make the game more deep, we will play in 'fair'-neutral stages, 1v1, no items. If (emphasis on 'if') gravity/damage ratio will make the game slightly more interesting, than I see nothing wrong with experimenting with it. I have seen a lot of regular melee-standard (1v1, fair stage, no items) battles that look amazing, but we have to keep an open mind and experiment a little.
Read what you quoted again. I said if the goal was to make Brawl like Melee then it fails. And anyone with that aim in mind should just give up on Brawl. I agree that we have to experiment a little however that does not mean that speeding up Brawl's course of actions through physics settings would do anything at all. Wouldn't add depth or anything just make it to where you have to do things differently. It may be interesting but I don't see it being able to compare to Brawl in a regular physics setting. So far Brawl's characters are looking diverse and unique and that in itself makes the game out to be deeper than Melee imo.

because every thread that is not fellating Brawl's floatiness, lack of combos, and ease of recovery turns into "Brawl is not Melee!"
Where did you hear lack of combos? And the only reason Brawl seems to have easy recovery is because there are stupid people who are still edge guarding as if it were Melee rather than following their opponent over the edge to finish them off. Thanks to Brawl's floatiness its very possible to do so effectively. Things are different and those people need to understand killing your opponents is going to take more thought.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Brawl has combos. There are already numerous combo videos or matches utilizing lots of combos put up all over this board.

I repeat, Brawl has combos.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
Read what you quoted again. I said if the goal was to make Brawl like Melee then it fails. And anyone with that aim in mind should just give up on Brawl. I agree that we have to experiment a little however that does not mean that speeding up Brawl's course of actions through physics settings would do anything at all. Wouldn't add depth or anything just make it to where you have to do things differently. It may be interesting but I don't see it being able to compare to Brawl in a regular physics setting. So far Brawl's characters are looking diverse and unique and that in itself makes the game out to be deeper than Melee imo.
Sorry, I suppose you don't understand me. Who cares about Melee, if Brawl is such a different game than they can't be compared, simple as that. Its funny for people claiming that making Brawl like Melee is failure since we still have 1v1/neutral stage/no items. Comparison of the two is bound to happen, and there was nothing wrong with the gravity in melee. And obviously the characters are more diverse and unique because they added to the previous cast of melee, it is no surprise the game is different. As I previously stated, nothing is wrong with experimenting with the physics, if you aren't open to new approaches to the game play than so be it. We will have to wait until the release.

I don't mind if high-gravity isn't widely accepted by the competitive crowd, that would just mean that regular is better, but there's no flaw with keeping an open mind eh? :chuckle: Anyway's I'm going to adapt to whatever is the competitive norm XD.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I'm going to laugh when people train in this mode only to get owned even harder in tournaments because they wouldn't have trained in normal fights.

I can't sit here and discuss why this is so silly though or rehash previously said comments on it.

I'll just say "good luck with that" and that this will -not- be the competitive playing choice for tournaments just because it emulates Melee.

It's an entirely different game and you're not treating it like one. You are trying to play the way you spent 6 years playing. Guess what? This is a new game in which you are meant to relearn and get used to a different playing style. Just because you can't combo the way you USED to doesn't mean you can't. Just because the characters who were top tier in Melee are having difficulties with certain aspects with the lack of the Melee's ATs and gameplay style, doesn't mean that tournaments are going to bend for Melee's tier/gameplay.

It has nothing to do with this game. And Heavy Brawl is an option. It's there for you to play it. But the characters were NOT balanced in that mode. They were balanced in Normal Brawl. So you are completely taking the balance they made and throwing it out the window so you can combo faster and gimp recovery. That's not how it works.

masterspeaks

Smash Apprentice
LOL spindash you act as if competitive brawl is set in stone. Competitive brawl is what the community makes of it. If more people like high gravity brawl than regular brawl theres nothing you can do about it. Ninety five % of the people who have posted have probably never even played competitive smash yet they're acting as if they're the voice of competitive smash.

Competitive smash will be whatever the competitive players like better, its that simple. The noobs who have never been to competitive tourneys have no say.
Its not really polite to call them noobs just because they don't have the means to play competitively. However, I feel the casual players need to be reminded that the default settings in any competitive fighting game scene is decided by the tournament players. MLG rules were never set in stone, they were frequently tweaked in order to balance out the metagame.

Adi

Smash Lord
The next person who screams the mindless chant of Melee 2.0 is going to get shot in the face. Seriously, no one needs your brilliant insight to figure that out. These players aren't trying to make it more like Melee, they're trying to expand their horizons by creating new potential for combos and edgeguarding. The fact that it happens to make the gameplay more like Melee is just a coincidental result of that. If items had the ability to add such depth without adding a luck factor we would be experimenting with items as well. Just because they are deviating from the standard does not mean they are automatically wrong. I'm surprised at the harsh reaction, especially from certain members I had respect for. If we had kept a closed mind would Melee ever exist as a tournament game?

The videos look great though, I can see a lot of combo potential in them. All the characters should be experimented with in that mode to see how the balance is affected.

Evil E.

Smash Ace
NNID
Elmoyounasty
:mad:

WUD DA FUDGE IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE BRAWL IS YET TO BE RELEASED IN US WHERE MOST SMASHERS ARE. UNTIL MARCH 9TH EVERYONE SHUT DAH PLUCK UP AND PLUCK U ALL!!!!! SOME OF THESE THREADS SHOULD BE LOCKED UNTIL US RELEASE!

edit: high gravity deez nutz

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
These players aren't trying to make it more like Melee, they're trying to expand their horizons by creating new potential for combos and edgeguarding. The fact that it happens to make the gameplay more like Melee is just a coincidental result of that
lol... no. That's what playing it *normally* would do. Not going back to the old style. That is not "new" potential. Skills gained in Heavy Brawl can probably only be used in Heavy Brawl. Brawl is not about standing at an edge and waiting for someone to return. It's about chasing them off the stage, knocking them upward and general aerial combat. It's about learning how to combo in the air and under different conditions.

Using Heavy Brawl is just like trying to avoid the fact that you wasted 6 years on something and expected the next game to be exactly the same with more characters.

Not that I care how people play. I don't. But you can't expect it to be taken any more seriously than Tiny Brawl, Stamina, or Metal Brawl. It's with those options, and will be treated like those options. If it did get accepted for anything more than a "special occasion", it would have its own, separate tournaments, completely independent of normal Brawl tournaments.

Just because they are deviating from the standard does not mean they are automatically wrong. I'm surprised at the harsh reaction, especially from certain members I had respect for. If we had kept a closed mind would Melee ever exist as a tournament game?
Honestly? There is technically no wrong at all. But that doesn't make them right. And what are you even talking about regarding Melee? What is so open-minded about that? All walk-off/"unfairly defensive"/circling stages were banned and items were turned off, and people who spend time figuring out frames exploited physics abuse to do things that reduced lag so they could combo more and move faster. Whoo-hoo. Brawl's been out for like two weeks. Wait a bit, huh?

All the characters should be experimented with in that mode to see how the balance is affected.
Agreed, though.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
:mad:

WUD DA FUDGE IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE BRAWL IS YET TO BE RELEASED IN US WHERE MOST SMASHERS ARE. UNTIL MARCH 9TH EVERYONE SHUT DAH PLUCK UP AND PLUCK U ALL!!!!! SOME OF THESE THREADS SHOULD BE LOCKED UNTIL US RELEASE!

edit: high gravity deez nutz
The original intent of this topic was actually to post/watch Heavy Brawl videos.

Nothing wrong in that.

The problem lies within the fact that:
- People unable to let go of Melee think this is the new revolution and will be adopted by tourney scene.
- People unwilling to let those people pretend that it will be adopted by the tourney scene like to reiterate that it is not "Melee 2.0"
- OP refers to the players as "PRO". The game is 2 weeks old. Nobody is a "pro" at this game yet. lol at the thought.

If it had stayed on topic, just posting vids and saying "oh that one's cool. You can do this and that blah blah blah" and people kept out of it and didn't feel the need to enforce their opinions (both sides. Not just the invading "NOT MELEE 2.0" posters) maybe it'd have been an okay thread for people who gave a crap about their High Gravity.

*shrugs*

Let them do what they want.

EDIT: Before anyone tries calling me a hypocrite for the last post basically talking against Heavy/High Gravity, you need to pay attention to what I am actually talking about.

I have nothing against people playing it. I don't think people should stop playing it if they want to play it. I just think they should stop thinking that it will become the norm of Brawl. And that if you're going to support it, not to throw random stuff out like "oh, it's going to increase the potential!" or "Normal Brawl has no combo-ing! It's too slow! Edgeguarding is horrible!" when half of us haven't played it, not to mention, none of the people playing it are good at it yet. It's two weeks old and you're already making judgements on it.

When Melee was two weeks old, I can guarantee that it was nothing like what you all know it as now. So wait it out. Stop making such early accusations on the game without playing it. And for those who have, you need to give the game as a whole more time, and actually learn to play much better, since you only have 2 weeks of gameplay under your belt. This, ultimately, means nothing in the long run.

Thino

Smash Master
I like how OP just said "take a look ! high gravity mode is coo , you can combo" then 10 pages of ****storm...
wtf , whats wrong with people

Ojanya

Smash Ace
Looks cool, if you ever wonder what a brawl character would have been like in Melee, this would be a cool way to test it.

No-Really-I-Suck

Smash Apprentice
Didn't really seem like the combos were that much better - one or two more hits maybe.

Regular mode seems to have even better air combos from what I've seen.

High Grav. will be a fun little distraction though -

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
haven't people figured out high gravity gimps certain characters? (ie dk dies almost immediately because of a gimped third jump)

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
haven't people figured out high gravity gimps certain characters? (ie dk dies almost immediately because of a gimped third jump)
I thought it was pretty much confirmed that that means nothing to the people who like/want to play Heavy Brawl. They'll never play DK. They don't care. They have auto-shorthopping now.

Or at least, that's what it seems.

I can't imagine this benefiting that many characters...

Devotion

Smash Apprentice
You know, if you think about it, playing in a slower, but smarter way would attract a lot more people to Smash, increasing the amount of play it gets. A lot of places have dead communities because Melee is so intimidating to get into now. In general, people would have more fun with more competition. HG mode would probably lessen the amount of players that play now because it is basically a worse Melee, in terms of gameplay.
I agree with you Kio. I think them slowing Brawl down a bit and making gameplay easier will increase more players to the competitive scene. Why people think this is a bad thing, I really don't know.

LunaEqualsLuna

Smash Apprentice
Topic creator sounds a bit like a whiny n00b unfortunately,,,

Default settings are determined by the game developer, and like it or not, these are the settings the majority of players will use. Especially with online capabilities.

**** NEWBS who can't adjust to a new game ....

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
You know what would be awesome, toggling everyhting to make it Meele. Increase speed x0.5, high gravity, damage ratio 1.5. It'd be fun to play Melee with new characters. I despise the noobs in this thread that are complaining about the mode. Sakurai put it there for a reason artards!

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Topic creator sounds a bit like a whiny n00b unfortunately,,,

Default settings are determined by the game developer, and like it or not, these are the settings the majority of players will use. Especially with online capabilities.

**** NEWBS who can't adjust to a new game ....
No, it's not adaptation that is the issue, it's the lack of skill that Brawl has been exhibiting. See, recovery is just too easy! Also, characters tend to live way too long. The developers INTENTIONALLY put these modes in so you can customize the game to your liking. I personally am very aware that the majortiy of the community will not bother changing the basic game, but if altering the basic mode will make the game more enjoyable for ME, I shall take fully advantage of this!

Kittah4

Smash Ace
You know, all this talk of changing Brawl to make it more like Melee. However, it's funny, in Melee everyone played with 1.0 damage ratio. Some Canadian players I used to watch had some fun matches in 0.8 or something, made the game more combo-centric.

But 1.0 became the standard. I don't see how 1.25 damage ratio with high grav would become the standard.

Lant

Smash Journeyman
You could equivalently say that instead it takes MORE skill to prevent recovery...
QFT.

Every single video I've seen so far has had like no midair interception. That's one of the things that is part of Smash gameplay. If you don't like the fact that Brawl was designed the way the dev team saw fit, go make your own game, or stick with melee.

I don't see why it bothers people so much, you're not gonna have that many online tournaments anyway, and there's no reason you can't play melee at a conventional tournament.

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure Ike always had low lag on landing, regardless of gravity. You wanna prove slow characters have low lag in high gravity mode, play some Bowser matches. Then maybe I'll start to subscribe to this.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
But certain characters intercept better than others (those with spikes). Besides, after getting hit, you can perform another ^B. The whole point of smash, if not the whole the most important part, is the battle of recovery.

MasterCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasterCheeze
3DS FC
0688-5933-2030
DeDeDe gets majorly screwed in high-gravity modes because he can't puff to and fro without falling like a log. An awesome log with a hammer that is.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
But certain characters intercept better than others (those with spikes). Besides, after getting hit, you can perform another ^B. The whole point of smash, if not the whole the most important part, is the battle of recovery.
Exactly.

And that's exactly why Heavy Brawl will never work. Since it defeats recovery.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
@Master cheeze-You mean like Jigglypuff and Kirby in melee. Seriously, out of all the high gravity matches I've watched I have not seen anyone's recovery become that bad. Captain Falcon and DK's recoveries are often pointed too, but the really look the same as their recoveries in melee.

I kind of like this high gravity mode. I wouldn't mind having a few side tournies with this, just for kicks and giggles.

Top Bottom