• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Princess Peach and The Meta Knight Match Up

Nicole

Smash Champion
it is 35:65 at worst!

i'm really going to try to beat some mk's at the next tournament i go to and record my footage. besides myself, i think silly kyle is very good at the mk matchup as well. he seems to have a good understanding of the right playstyle. i haven't seen meno or mikey play it much, but from what those guys say they seem to have some idea of it also (particularly meno). then we have some other good peaches, like king beef and praxis, who i dont think play the matchup particularly well, despite how good they are.

the problem i have with alot of you guys' views and your mk discussion is: "omg, we can't touch mk he has to approach us THANK GOD FOR TURNIPS."

you can't always just use your crappy defensive projectile against him and expect to win. you have to take every opportunity to punish. sometimes that means rushing him WHEN he rushes you. you guys say 'you cannot approach mk.' i say 'you cannot approach mk unless he is approaching you.'

i.e. mk is dashing at you. what do you do?
i run up to him and nair or dash attack.
from what you guys say, you shield and throw turnips. and run away. you'll never win a match like that.

something that really annoys me, when i'm being peach, is when i'm cautiously approaching, spacing aerials while floating, and some ******* runs under me and shields. that really ****s up my approach and causes me to get punished (sometimes). but then i think...mk...he is ALWAYS approaching. so why not do that to him 100x more often? i'm not saying you should run up to him and shield - don't misunderstand. i'm saying that choosing the defensive option is not always the best way. sometimes you have to challenge him. peach has ******** good priority and she will trade hits or flat out beat him - it's the truth.

peach has the speed on her moves, the lack of lag, the priority, and the damage racking capabilities to beat mk, and i will believe that until i just get demolished by a whole string of mks. so far, it's been the other way around in MMs and friendlies...i rarely have to play mk in tournament because i live in the MW. i have lost to my pals from Kansas who play Mk in the past, but I know if i play the matchup RIGHT, i can win. which brings me to my next point...

playing the matchup right is very very difficult, because you cannot let mk get the lead. if he gets the first kill, you CANNOT go nuts trying to get him back (i am really guilty of this and it makes me lose alot of matches...trust me). you MUST wait to capitalize on his poor choices - yes, EVERY PLAYER makes poor choices, even m2k. killing him is not THAT bad...it's not. he dsmashes at the wrong time (when you're floating)? that's a free fair. he -will- dsmash at the wrong time. baited/whiffed upB? that's a free uair. he's dashing at you? that's a free nair. he WILL do these moves. it's your job to do something about them instead of shielding. but you have to take the right opportunities - you can't expect to just create them (if you're playing a decent mk).

also...FD is a TERRIBLE counterpick. seriously. i have been picking it in tournament and friendlies against mk and i haven't won a tournament match there and i dont do particularly great in friendlies there either. i thought it was good. it isn't. it is a bad bad place. it exacerbates her weakness of trying to come down from the air after she's been knocked up there by uair/loop/whatev. where are you gonna go? i wouldn't go to the ledge...i woudln't go to the stage either. mk on the other hand, has an even easier time here (against peach, i know this isnt a great stage FOR HIM) because he doesn't have to worry about landing on a platform and having any consequences (uair/usmash). he has no trouble getting to the ground. yeah, you can throw turnips upward, but you can do that anywhere, without the consequences of this level. FD =/= mk counterpick.

that's all for now!

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Yeah.. Final Destination does not work against Metaknight like it used to.

I may sound crazy but I'm testing out Delphino and it's working.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Yeah you speak the truth, Red. I don't particularly play the MK matchup as well as some other Peaches do out there, although there was a brief period of time (2-3 months) where I played extremely well against him; just ask Overswarm, Kel, Rofa, and Z to name a few people. I've beaten Rofa in a set before and took a game off of Kel, then immediately after that is when my hot streak of learning the matchup fell flat because my attention had branched off more and more to learning Snake, DDD, Lucario, and Wario at the time. What you saw at MLG is the absolute worst I've ever played against a MK ever. ^.^;

But enough about me, in all honesty I consider you to currently be the best and most consistently threatening Peach when it comes to fighting MK. The matchup seems to be your specialty (I mean holy **** at getting ANTI to last hit last game LOLWTFBBQ!).

Would it be alright if I kind of asked you to "lead" this discussion on breaking down the MK matchup and educating us on when, where, and how we should punish him? I know of a few things from my "hot streak" period, but you still know a ton more that many of us probably never even got acquainted with yet.

Important notes from my experience:

- MK's front end of d-smash and grounded shuttle loop both begin on frame 5 I believe. Jab is your best friend at this range, NOT grab.

- I find Pokemon Stadium 1 to be her best stage against MK if Green Greens isn't legal (but holy **** if GG is legal USE IT USE IT USE IT!!!). PS1 is where I took a game from Kel/beat Z and didn't feel all that uncomfortable doing it; that should say something.

- Our d-smash also beats his to the punch if you're behind him since the back end of his d-smash comes out on frame 10. I'm not sure if it beats his front end to the punch or not (clarification please?).

z00ted

I play agressively against Metaknight and win.

He's my most KNOWN matchup.
My brother mains him.... lol

Nicole

Smash Champion
Yeah.. Final Destination does not work against Metaknight like it used to.

I may sound crazy but I'm testing out Delphino and it's working.
nah, you're not crazy. i have decent results on delfino as well. which is nice, cause sometimes mk's counterpick it.

i dont think his sharking is particularly threatening if you're not ********. he cant stage spike peach with loop/nair/dair, she can actually just float down using umbrella sometimes, so even if you can't make it back from the side cause he's doing his loop bs, you can still survive (i mean its kinda unlikely but its something...), you can do a little sharking of your own with fair/uair, and you have enough room to run away like fd but you have safety in platforms like battlefield.

@kb: when where and how to punish...
the thing is that you can't really plan your punishes as much as you'd like against him. his moves are fast and the moves that we want to kill him with are slower...mostly. bair and nair are fast enough to challenge him and uair isn't too bad either. nonetheless i find myself killing with fair a good portion of the time too.

lots of mk's expect to be perfectly safe anywhere offstage and you can't let them do that all the time. go out there and nair/bair them when they're gliding back. DO NOT DROP LOW. but there are alot of other things you can do and the mk isn't going to be recovering low anyway (since he is out there cause he DI-ed your move). take a turnip out there with you. dont be afraid of him. try to force an airdodge with the turnip. if he catches it and throws it back down at you you can uair and peach will typically grab the turnip with uair and he'll die anyway. if he dodges it you can do a move. if you just do uair (he dodges) to nair (his dodge is over) you can get him that way too. watch out for him to tornado. i wouldn't go off the edge against him too often. but if you need that kill, i wouldn't hesitate. you can kill him way earlier when he's near the edges. go out there at like 80 - 110 if he's out there and try to fair him. or bair.

you can toad sometimes because mk is aggressive. i woudln't toad offstage unless you are above the height of the stage, that killed me against anti because i did it too low, even though the spores hit him. you want to toad things like his fair, ftilt, and dash attack. things you can see coming.

you can pressure his shield with a sh dair to float nair, and do the double hit of nair. i think if it autocancels properly you can grab him after this if you landed behind him. you can do this to alot of chars, actually. it really depends on the mk and how much he likes to upb out of shield. some mks do alot more nair and this approach works well against that. it wont work on upb.

you can go through his fair with your fair but it's tricky because hers is so slow compared to his. but you'll kill him this way. let him jump fair at you while you're floating and do a retreating-ish fair. kind of hard to explain...it takes pretty good spacing. i definitely dont do it consistently yet. a few mks believe that his fair shuts peach down (i think m2k is one of them) and it is a really brutal move against her for sure. but she does have ways around it. her own fair is one of them. dash attack is another one. dash attack is really good in this mu and i wouldn't hesitate to use it when mk's shorthopping **** at you. dont spam it though, we all know how punishable it is. ftilt is ok...i used to think it was better but it isn't that great. it kills alright and interrupts his aerials, but i wouldnt use it unless you have substantial certainty that its going to hit.

his favorite kill move dsmash is my favorite kill move for him to use against me, because it has little vertical range and has plenty of lag. you can shorthop a retreating fair and hit him while he's doing his smash. i know that sounds weird and like it wont work, but it does. you'll jump over the hit that he's doing in front of him and you'll hit him while his sword is behind him. you sorta have to predict this though, or bait it. you can sh dair at dsmash too. shield and jab works if you dont want to kill him yet., or if you were on the ground and didnt see it coming (who does?)

i throw out moves alot in this matchup and it works kinda well. do some fullhop dairs and do nair when he shuttle loops and you'll catch him more than you'd think you would. i'm in the air probably more than i should be, so i would advise you stay on the ground a fair amount of the match. i dont find groundfloating particularly useful, but it has it's moments. he just doesnt airdodge to the ground very much, it's easier for him to come down with a dair/tornado/whatever.

oh always punish tornado too. get good at nairing out of it. i am working on this myself, i'm definitely not up to par. you already know how to deal with it on the ground so i wont say anything there. you can sometimes bair him out of it and get a kill that way if you aim for the corners (this is kinda hard cause he is always moving around).

there are so many aspects to this matchup...i'm not even half done but i will stop there for now. other peaches should contribute, especially if their brothers main mk!

- Our d-smash also beats his to the punch if you're behind him since the back end of his d-smash comes out on frame 10. I'm not sure if it beats his front end to the punch or not (clarification please?).
it doesnt beat it in the front - his is 5 frames and ours is 6 i believe. you can just sh nair if you guys are both shielding or something and youre in front of him...i'm guessing that is the situation?

Yunior597

Smash Journeyman
Well i use to play this match a lot...

I just prevent getting hit from fair, and upsmash and i can live to high percentages...

I mostly perfect shield, turnips but sometimes is not recommended, just approach in the air, MK Fair can beat anything peach have in the air.

Edgde guarding is quite easy is peach recover low because of the shuffle loop, but if it comes high try to predict his coutnter and punish...

Punishing peach's dair with nair or up b is very effective, just power shield and punish.

dont try to grab peach or you will get punished, peach doesnt have much lag after attacking can use jabs almost immediately...

Well that's all...

z00ted

I can't explain how to play this matchup mainly because I think you have to learn it yourself.
Some things work for me that wouldn't for others - and vice versa.

Nicole

Smash Champion
^yeah, its one of mks worst stages and for a long time i think we've all agreed that fd is a good stage to counterpick against mk. but i keep cp-ing it and i keep losing, heheh. i'm sure its partially personal preferene, but i dont camp and run away the whole match, and i dont stay grounded the whole match either, which means that i'm more likely to be knocked up in the air and on fd...that's pretty much the worst place to be, above mk, trying to return to one flat plane where no matter where you land, mk can get at you and launch you right back up.

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
I'm not a big fan when it cones to counter picks but recently I feel frigate is a good stage for Peach. As long as you stay away from falling off the starting right side.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I like what Nicole says. Play in the way she describes plz

I despise discussing these kind of match ups because everything is so bloody situational and you have to punish MK for nearly the whole match(which is why its a bad match up). Peach can fight back but you have to do the right thing at the right time otherwise MK will win

Edit: Speaking of Nicole...

Nicole, I watched a vid of you vs MK and at one point you kept doing Full hop Dairs...I need to find the video again, why was this if you can remember?

Nicole

Smash Champion
^fullhop dairs are good because mk likes to sh fair at you. since dair is 12 frames you just have to be doing it for it to catch him. i dont do as many fh dairs anymore (they are punishable), but i still throw them out from time to time. they're good against marth too, for the same reasons.

doing the right thing at the right time is hard to do without starting up some of your moves early...that's why this matchup is hard. sometimes doing the right thing is easy because her moves are so fast, but when it comes to racking significant damage (after he's at 60ish%) and killing, if you dont do some things of your own, the right thing usually ends up being running away and throwing ****, and while you dont take as much damage that way you dont give any either.

oh yeah, if you fullhop dair over him and he's in his shield, and he up-bs, you can nair and knock him out of it. kinda situational. the mk i practice against upb's ALL THE TIME, so i get to do this more often than most people, probably.

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
Well when I full hop dair mk's seem to get hit with it more often vs if I short hop or float dair I most likely will get shuttle looped or nair in the face. Most of the time dair beats shuttleloop and it goes thru his nair from time to time.

Oh nevermind Nicole posted XD

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Yeah I totally forgot about throwing full hop dairs in against MK. That's definitely one of the things I stopped doing at one point, but I'll start mixing it in again along with nair at the peak of the jump if I suspect a SL. I forgot about some of Shuttle Loop's vulnerable points. Thanks much.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
Lol I have bad memories fighting Meta Knight on Seige. I gimped him twice on the level and as he was dying the level changed and saved him. :( :( :(

This is a matchup I have to fight all the time here in Arizona since our top two players use him (and several others). x_x;;

I will say this matchup is pretty tough and intense. I'd say 40-60, but at worst it's 35-65.

I wish I was as fluent in expressing my ideas behind matchups like Nicole and others...

This is one of the matchups I know the best along with Zelda and Snake lol.

Having an amazing ground game is important in this matchup!! His fast speed on the ground on top of his stupid ftilt, dtilt, and up b oos makes it 10x harder. Jab is your best friend. Along with this, I'd say turnips are super important in this matchup. I use them mainly to get away by reverse glidetossing. Avoid getting grabbed, it sucks and usually leads to a free follow up after a forward throw.

Being able to nair out of tornado is extremely important. Not only does this get you out of one the stupidest moves in the game, but you also force MK to rethink using it, which is key!! I hold up and then nair right back into that mother f***er's face. If you're on the ground, it's important to have a turnip in hand to punish any attempts to tornado you. Dash attack can work too, but there aren't that many follows up after it though.

Ground floated aerials are really important for spacing and it gets Peach in position to downsmash against MK's shield, which pokes quite frequently. Bair > downsmash is my favorite.

When MK is at low percents, try to get those nasty dair combos. If you see him turtle-ing in his shield, move back and wait for him to get out. If you dair his shield, he can shuttle loop you right in the face. What you can do is go in with an aerial while floating, move back, wait for him to up b, and then nair or up air to punish the non invincible part of this move.

I increasingly hate fighting MK's, especially when they stuff many of my approaches with full hop fair. It sucks... You can try beating it with fair... or retreat and pull a turnip and try to find an opening. Seriously, turnips can make this matchup really annoying for MK. That's why I like fighting characters with projectiles lol. But you can't rely on them the whole time, cuz they are easy to get by, so be smart with them.

Try to be creative when killing Meta Knight... there are times where I have tried to rush the kill and would just rack up more damage in the process. If you can sneak it in or space it right, fair is really good. If your bair is fresh, doing it out of shield can be a nice surprise. If you see Meta Knight gliding a lot, glide toss in and try to sneak in an upsmash. Nair works... and up air if you can catch up after a dair or something...

When recovering back to the stage, it's important that you are ready to DI any shuttle loops or else you can die super early. I like to recover high and use my float to get back. If you are forced to recover low, it can be difficult, especially if you like to drop down and go in for the up b sweet spot. Meta Knight can grab the ledge and nair your in the face. I hate it. x_x;;

Stages I like:
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium 1
Smashville
Sometimes Frigate, Battlefield, and Yoshi's.

Stages I ban:
Rainbow Cruise

I can fight Meta Knight on Brinstar, but it can be annoying cuz Peach's second jump sux and it's hard to reach the platform in the middle of the stage. However, I love Peach bomber and forcing people into the lava. Lol

There is sooooo much more that could be said... but I will leave it at that for now....

Videos where I do good things vs. Meta Knight:

Silly Kyle :peach: vs. JustinKamikaze :metaknight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOS3yM59510

Silly Kyle :peach: vs. Forward :metaknight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-fZ6WTgR5I

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Nicole, I personally want to thank you. I just played Shugo's MK in multiple matches at a smashfest today and I was playing the matchup exceptionally well. Even he noticed the big difference between today and when he and I played before. I didn't take any games from him, but the closest I got was to his last stock 80-90%.

Thanks to your reminder of how to play the matchup right, I kind of recaptured the momentum I had last year of breaking the matchup down. It doesn't feel so impossible anymore.

But Falco is a different story. **** that ****ing stupid *** humanoid bird *******... :laugh:

Nicole

Smash Champion
^no problem kb, just share your wario secrets with me :p

falco isnt -that- bad...toon link though. **** him.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Haha will do, although I'm not nearly as good at explaining in person, just so you know.

And I'll have to agree to disagree lol. Toon Link can be annoying if the Peach isn't playing well, but Falco is always a guaranteed pain in the *** in some way, especially if the player is patient and campy as hell.

Moozle

Smash Champion
Regarding stages, I think it's important to practice on all of the common CP stages. If you happen to beat a Metaknight, you WILL be CPed to a stage like RC. Practicing on CP stages as much as possible helps get rid of some of MK's advantages from CPing. Just thought i'd mention that since being more familiar with CP stages has helped me a ton, not only in the MK matchup.

Nicole

Smash Champion
^but why wouldn't you want to nair out of it? it does damage and hits him away from you.

z00ted

We already know this I told the boards early on.

First match was close.
Second match I won.
Third match I got two stocked.

Lee KNOWS the Peach matchup mainly because he used to use her as a secondary. He just nado'd, shrarked, and shuttle looped the whole time. The second part of the stage is TERRIBLE for Peach (with the grass pillars), I literally couldn't do ANYTHING but just sit in shield and hope not to lose it from tornado, if I tried running here comes shuttle loop.

DELPHINO DOESN'T WORK

I talked to him after the set about what I can do / think if Peach is viable in tournament play.

He said I played really well, but Peach mains as a whole need to hope they don't run into a top ten Metaknight in the bracket. We have to win match one to win the set. Simple as that.

Brawlin

Smash Journeyman
Metaknight grrrr. Ive had some pretty good results against him in matches(even though lol its not like they were big name Metaknight players but still pretty good i think) but i always have to play really defensively. Good thing there is turnips. Reverse glide tossing works well for me in this matchup but its still really hard and i have to shield so much. Avoiding him trying to gimp me is also really hard. The weird thing is sometimes im able to time a fair on him while he is trying to gimp me. Uair also works pretty good for me and its nice to get in a nice usmash every once in a while.:laugh:

Nicole

Smash Champion
yeah, you definitely wont be winning on his cp. thing is...not many chars can win on his cp. so i dont see this as a particular disadvantage that peach has that others don't.

check out olimar - he's not going to be winning on cruise or brinstar, but he CAN win against mk. or falco - he's not going to be winning on one of mk's cps either. i agree that we do have to win game one, but peach does best on neutrals where mk does not (not that he doesnt do incredibly well on neutrals).

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I prefer Brinstar over Delfino.

Brinstar isnt even bad imo... RC/Delfino should always be banned imo. It might be my love for Brinstar though.

:052:

Top Bottom