• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prima Strategy Guide

Kuda398

Smash Cadet
Now, this is an completely opinionative topic on the Prima Strategy Guide for SSBB which I found "a waste of trees".........yes, I just typed that. The point is I'm very curious as to what all of you thought about the guide. Did you buy it, read it, like it etc.

First off, some might ask why I bought it. I went to the midnight launch at GS and seemed to have a urge to buy it because I'm a fan of SSBB. Continuing the point...

I'd like to point put the flaws now. First, the methods of unlocking "unlockables" is completely primitive. It doesn't even give all three alternative methods of unlocking the Hidden characters. Dumb summarys of each characters move. And the last thing I'll say is that it conflicted with most of the tier lists. I could add a lot more but the point is in MY opinion, it's crap. 'Don't mean to flame but....:psycho:

Before anyone makes a remark about "why are you asking this now?" or "why didn't you go to smashbrosdojo?", I'm just curious as to what everyone else thinks about it.:)

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Really old news, dude. Everyone already knows the Prima Guide is trash. (cool story though)

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
It was the most hilarious piece of trash I have ever seen.

I mean, it said Lucario had no horizontal recovery.

Aibou

Smash Master
It was the most hilarious piece of trash I have ever seen.

I mean, it said Lucario had no horizontal recovery.
The fact that they said :falcon: was good and :metaknight: was bad was the most hilarious thing I saw in there.

At least they got :marth: right.

The_Final_Smasher

Smash Rookie
This reminds me of this Pokemon Fan Special issue I got at Gamestop...
They said that fire wasn't very effective against Grass and super-effective against water on the type matchup table...
And the advice they give for the best moves to have on the Pokemon was terrible (Charge on Ampharos... WTF!?)

Liquid-117

Smash Apprentice
Like everybody said, that so called "guide" were nothing more than waste of your time and money. The information it provided were inconsistent. In short: utter trash

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
I really want to buy it if it's still available just because it'll be worth my $20 to cream myself from pure lulz.

Lol, Prima Games aren't psychic. How would they possibly know what the tier list would look like when even the Smash community after half a year didn't even have an accurate conception of what the tier list should look like. They probably said things like "Snake is difficult to use" and anything along the lines of Ganon not being absolutely useless garbage.

Moreover, I still think the current tier list is really off in some areas.

-Ran

Smash Master
The claimed that Captain Falcon had the best grab in the game. Of course, who knows how many tiny balance tweaks occurred between the game they had, and the actual release. A scary thought, but what if everything they said was actually accurate to what they played? Lol.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
The claimed that Captain Falcon had the best grab in the game. Of course, who knows how many tiny balance tweaks occurred between the game they had, and the actual release. A scary thought, but what if everything they said was actually accurate to what they played? Lol.
"Tiny balance tweaks" doesn't equate the different from CF's grab range to DDD, Charizard, or tether grab ranges. That's just laziness >_>.

I usually buy Prima for their Pokemon guides, just so I can have an easy to look at list for where to find wild pokemon or whatever, or levels for evolution or new attacks, but sometimes I read the strategies for gym leaders or whatever for lulz, it's pretty incredible. If I could make the amount of money they make from using a random word generator, I'd be pretty much set for life.

I really want to buy a copy of this thing off the internet now.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Diddy Kong and Falco's "dair spike" would be broken, and Jigglypuff would apparently "still have what it takes to keep up with the best of them."

I have a feeling they used the Falcon Punch or something along those lines to test weight, because they said that Ivysaur was the lightweight, while Squirtle was actually the midweight.

ru5514n

Smash Ace
Yeah, everyone knows Prima Guide was ********. I think I read in Falcon section that he can reflect projectiles with his side-b. where the hell did that come from? I'm not even mentioning they had Falcon and Peach as top tiers, Marth as the best, Falco as middle, Meta Knight low and Wario, Kirby, Pikachu and Olimar as utter garbage.

P.S. If anybody wants to buy it, I still see it for sale at Barnes and Nobles from time to time.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
It also says that Ness lacks a "dair spike", while Lucas's "spike" is quite good (referring to his BAir).

tankzortz

Smash Apprentice
and you realize the guide was made before the tier list came out.
anyways, guide's garbage anyways if they think oli's bad

Turazrok

Smash Master
Don't know if this is part of it, but http://imgur.com/3n080.png
Hahaha
I laughed so much at that one. My fave was wario, olimar, kirby, metaknight, and ice clmibers being ranked as bad. It also said the best way to desync with IC's was to chase ice blocks. They even based the rankings off of how good the final smash was XD

GreenFox

Smash Ace
If anyone wants to see how bad it is I'll sell it for cheap what a waste of time/money they had gannon like the same rank as M2K and dedede was rated pretty low grab :/

DQP

Smash Ace
prima knows absolutely nothing when it comes to smash, it seemed like they just played through the game and wrote what they thought about it.. but if you think the brawl guide is bad, wait till you see their prime trilogy guide...

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
I really want to buy it if it's still available just because it'll be worth my $20 to cream myself from pure lulz.

Lol, Prima Games aren't psychic. How would they possibly know what the tier list would look like when even the Smash community after half a year didn't even have an accurate conception of what the tier list should look like. They probably said things like "Snake is difficult to use" and anything along the lines of Ganon not being absolutely useless garbage.

Moreover, I still think the current tier list is really off in some areas.
When I read it shortly after it came out, I was almost offended... :\ I mean I had only been playing a couple of days and I already knew that Lucario had way more recovery than they said, and that meta knight did NOT suck and that Cpt. Falcon was near horrible... I haven't seen that ol' book anywhere recently, though. The ONE THING that they got right was pointing out that their strategies could easily come outdated and that they actually said "Don't trust us foir everything, just go to Smashboards if you want to become really good." Of course, it's paraphrased a bit, but yea, at least they got that right.

Also, Ledger, WHERE CAN I GET THAT PANDA TEXTURE??? I WANT IT!!

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The fact that they said :falcon: was good and :metaknight: was bad was the most hilarious thing I saw in there.
This is true in 4vs. Go online and see how many Falcons you see vs how many Meta-Knights you see. Then see who is winning (hint: It's not Meta-Knight)

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Also, Ledger, WHERE CAN I GET THAT PANDA TEXTURE??? I WANT IT!!
I know, isn't it freaking adorable? Google search it, I can't remember. It's not currently on my SD card, so I can't help you there lol.

I should remind you that Smashboard's first impression of MK was that he was unwieldy, too fast to use, and hard to kill with. Something about Shuttle Loop being "too hard to hit with and too unreliable to use" ... oh the good 'ol days.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
I was a casual player back in the melee days. If it wasn't for that guide I wouldn't have known about smashboards. I'm pretty glad I bought it. But it seriously did suck after I came here and found how to use certain characters.

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
I should remind you that Smashboard's first impression of MK was that he was unwieldy, too fast to use, and hard to kill with. Something about Shuttle Loop being "too hard to hit with and too unreliable to use" ... oh the good 'ol days.
QFT. My friend and I used metaknight in the first few days of Brawl and my friends who are the most casual, out of the forums-scene people I know, started calling him OP. I just stated what I had learned on the boards and how it was hard to kill with him. Hah, now a days we've all switched opinions. :p

Laem

Smash Champion
bump <3

can any1 tell me more ridiculous stuff from this guide, im looking for laughs xD

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
and you realize the guide was made before the tier list came out.
And you realize that the only people who care about the SWF tier list are the people on SWF.

The only reason the guide is any good is that it had the URL for this site in it. That's the only reason I found this place.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I bought the guide to complete the Sub-Space Emissary. I had 99%, and I needed one more item to get 100%. I don't know where my Prima guide is at now. One word, though: Maria. :laugh:

Top Bottom